Focus On Thaksin's Associates

webfact

BP ? Why is anyone talking about BP.

American owned rig was only contracted by BP.

So we have an American owned rig, operated by American crew, drilling hole in American waters, no BP staff on site, all American 100% and when it screws up suddenly its BP's problems..........

Behind the scenes agreement, BP agreed to be the "dog" to be kicked, in return they will get in future lots of nice new licenses to drill to "payback" their help in making this US disaster caused by US companies and US workers appear to be a non-US problem.

When you need a break from weaving conspiracy theories, you can read some truth here. Seems pretty clear that BP's decision to rush a difficult well by substituting light salt water for the usual heavy mud used in these kinds of wells probably caused the disaster. They were also advised not to do this by the American workers.

BTW, by legal agreement BP had full responsibility and control of all safety issues. It was their show.

Anadarko blasts BP for 'reckless decisions' - Jun. 18, 2010

American companies were responsible for casing cement, and lots of American involvement in the well.

My oh my, isn't Andarko a small percentage owner of the well ??? Not surprising therefore to try to see them run away from potential damages.

All the US companies are in hiding and denial.

When this goes to the courts you wait and see what comes out. It would be suicide for BP to try to point out the truth with the well still leaking.

The time is right for the boot to go on to the other foot when the leak is stopped, so please, just wait for the oil to stop and then watch what happens, that will be the fun time as all the US responsibilities and companies will be launched into the spotlight.

As this is so off topic and the above tirade against American companies, workers, etc could be moved to the appropriate forum topic and then we can all be entertained with the fireworks. The one truth I notice is Anadarko is involved, whether with a working interest, override, carried to some point, etc only the principals know.So even a handle can be misleading.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dont you think a statement like that is pre-empting any investigation?

If that is used as a starting point what hope is there of ever getting truth?

No, I was making a different point altogether.Few would question the government was entitled to clear Central Bangkok, indeed had a duty to do so.However there are limits on what the government can do: for example it couldn't machine gun the entire red assembly.(Take my word for it there are very powerful people who would have like to have done just that).The question is what represents a reasonable level of force.My feeling is that despite my admiration for the military's performance, the deaths were excessive with many aspects still unexplained.That's why a fair and independent enquiry is needed.

So you cant see the difference between an accident and a deliberate attempt to sabotage a country?....must be difficult to see with one red eye.

However: If you had been keeping up with the news you would know that BP has admitted responsability and has agreed to pay for the clean up. In order to finance this they have said there will be no dividend paid this year, if you look you also will see that BP shares are well down so that means the 'investors' will be in fact paying twice for the "accident".

Now could you tell me (Us all) how many and which of the red shirts leaders and backers(investors) have agreed to pay for the mess, destruction, deaths , injuries, loss of income etc and clean up that their deliberate action caused?

Oh yes there is one, isnt he on video saying he will take responsability "rap pit chaub" came streight after "POW" if I remember rightly.

But he said after that it was all a joke didnt he.

As the goverment is responsible for controlling Thai citizens they failed in that duty. So the government pays. Care to explain how the protest managed to take over the centre of Bangkok? are you going to tell me the government was so negligent they just let people walk into the centre of Bangkok and set up a camp...............surely not!!!!

Edited by 473geo

As the goverment is responsible for controlling Thai citizens they failed in that duty. So the government pays. Care to explain how the protest managed to take over the centre of Bangkok? are you going to tell me the government was so negligent they just let people walk into the centre of Bangkok and set up a camp...............surely not!!!!

Surely. The police headquarters is directly across the street from the main protest area. The police allowed the illegal occupation to happen. They were derelict in their duty and heads should roll.

On the other hand, it should be noted that when police did try to do their job they were attacked by masses of demonstrators wielding sharpened bamboo poles, sling shots, and various other weapons. Should the police have used force to contain the demonstrations at that point? Perhaps.

At the time of the initial Ratchaprasong occupation the numbers of protesters was in the tens of thousands. Had the police acted there would have been mayhem and carnage on a scale much larger than occurred when the military finally acted to protect the citizens of Bangkok.

Not having been on the scene, I am guilty of second guessing others. But IMHO, the longer the government allowed the protests to continue, the more they attracted those who came for violence under the cover of the masses. Even if they were attacked with bamboo staffs early-on, it would have been easier to control than once the guns and the crazies arrived.

Edited by Pacificperson

Not having been on the scene, I am guilty of second guessing others. But IMHO, the longer the government allowed the protests to continue, the more they attracted those who came for violence under the cover of the masses. Even if they were attacked with bamboo staffs early-on, it would have been easier to control than once the guns and the crazies arrived.

The guns and crazies were already present. It would have made no difference, except that more people would have lost their lives if the government had moved earlier.

The guns and crazies were already present. It would have made no difference, except that more people would have lost their lives if the government had moved earlier.

The government allowed the demonstration to take place, failed to keep it moving and in control, allowed an encampment to be built......then as an afterthought declared it all illegal!..................smart way to deal with this type of protest?.........you tell me, because I believe there were errors on both sides, but then, I try to understand, not shove my version of events down the throats of others!!!

The government allowed the demonstration to take place, failed to keep it moving and in control, allowed an encampment to be built......then as an afterthought declared it all illegal!..................smart way to deal with this type of protest?.........you tell me, because I believe there were errors on both sides, but then, I try to understand, not shove my version of events down the throats of others!!!

Occupying Ratchaprasong was illegal from the start. The police didn't do their jobs and protect the citizens of Bangkok from violent mobs.

And what's this nonsense of ramming opinions down the throats of others? This is a discussion board. We share our opinions and beliefs. Simply because your opinion differs from mine does not mean you are ramming it down my throat or vice versa. Grow up.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Are you mad? Occupying Ratchaprasong was illegal from the start. The police didn't do their jobs and protect the citizens of Bangkok from violent mobs.

And what's this nonsense of ramming opinions down the throats of others? This is a discussion board. We share our opinions and beliefs. Simply because your opinion differs from mine does not mean you are ramming it down my throat or vice versa. Grow up.

I think you might find CRES declared to protest illegal.......after the occupation........if that was not the case....as I work from memory......then I may well have a poor memory, as for my mental state, it has not let me down to the level of throwing around personal insults on a debating forum.... :D

I think you might find CRES declared to protest illegal.......after the occupation........if that was not the case....as I work from memory......then I may well have a poor memory, as for my mental state, it has not let me down to the level of throwing around personal insults on a debating forum.... :D

I suggest you re-read your posts above. In the first post you accused me of ramming my opinion down the throats of others. That is in fact a personal insult.

In the second post you are accusing me of insulting you. Perhaps you are correct as I was reacting to your earlier personal insult. Your accusation, while ignoring your own actions, is objectionable.

A discussion board is for discussing. It is time you accept that others do not share your views. This does not make them stupid, wrong, or bad.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I suggest you re-read your posts above. In the first post you accused me of ramming my opinion down the throats of others. That is in fact a personal insult.

In the second post you are accusing me of insulting you. Perhaps you are correct as I was reacting to your earlier personal insult. Your accusation, while ignoring your own actions, is objectionable.

A discussion board is for discussing. It is time you accept that others do not share your views. This does not make them stupid, wrong, or bad.

"I try to understand, not to shove my version of events down the throats of others".........is surely a statement about me.....:D .

"I try to understand, not to shove my version of events down the throats of others".........is surely a statement about me.....:D .

LOL. Peace. :)

No need for us to further derail the conversation with petty bickering that serves no purpose.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

LOL. Peace. :)

No need for us to further derail the conversation with petty bickering that serves no purpose.

We agree...... :D......actually most of the content of politcal discussion and response serves no real purpose!!!........but don't tell the rest of them ok.... ;)

Red-Shirt 'revolution' is all about money

Thailand's Red-Shirt movement, billed as a class struggle between the poor and the Bangkok elite, turned out to be a billion-dollar “revolution” with very little to do with the poor. It was all about money.

Between September 9 last year and May this year, more than 160 billion baht (US$4.9 billion) was shifted between the bank accounts of the financiers of the red shirts. Billions of baht were withdrawn from the bank accounts of former Thai Premier Thaksin Shinawatra's family members during that period. Large sums of money were also transferred into and out of accounts held by opposition Pheu Thai Party MPs, the Red-Shirt protest leaders and their supporters.

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) started off its blacklist of the Red-Shirt financiers with about 170 names of individuals and companies whose bank accounts, assets and financial transactions had been frozen. They could be implicated in the financing of acts of terror, in the bombing and burning of Bangkok. The government appears to be determined to restore law and order by bringing those believed to have masterminded the carnage in Bangkok to justice.

One government official told me that whenever there were large money withdrawals, there would be grenade attacks the following day in Bangkok and other places during the protests.

“The money withdrawals and the acts of terror perfectly correlated. Some 60 million baht was withdrawn, and the following day we had violent incidents in Udon,” he said.

Another well-informed source told me that the Bank of Thailand turned a blind eye to big withdrawals by the Shinawatras to the tune of several billion baht.

However, the DSI has recently reduced the size of the blacklist from 170 to 86. We don't know what kind of procedure the authorities have been using when it comes to letting those suspected of financing criminal activities during the Red-Shirt protests off the hook. But at least the authorities should make public why the suspects' bank accounts have been frozen and how these individuals or companies explain their money transactions that took place during the protest.

Suthep Thaugsuban, the deputy prime minister, has said that those facing a freeze of their assets must report to the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation and explain their financial transactions. If they can't explain where the money came from or where it went, their bank accounts will continue to be subject to a freeze pending further investigation into whether they were involved in the financing of the red shirts.

The money trails show that an unprecedented, gigantic sum of money was involved in the Red-Shirt campaign. At least 10 billion baht in actual payments went to the conspirators. This well-funded campaign was aimed at removing the Abhisit administration to pave the way for the formation of an interim government and for the creation of a new political regime.

It remains to be seen how the authorities will press ahead against the remaining 86 individuals and companies linked to the financing of the movement. The public should apply pressure on the DSI and the other authorities involved to make the matter more transparent. The names of all the 86 individuals and companies must be made public, including the records of their financial transactions during the protest period. Accounts of the testimonies of these 86 individuals and companies must also be made public. With the bombings and arson attacks in Bangkok, and the damage to the economy from the Red-Shirt protest, the Thai public is entitled to know who the masterminds really are.

The way the government and the authorities are handling this money trail shows that there could be secret negotiations going on to make everybody happy. With the reconciliation plan proceeding in earnest like a drama, it appears the government might try to strike a compromise with the financiers or the masterminds of the Red Shirts without any due consideration for law and order. If that is the case, we can expect another round of political upheavals to erupt again over the next few months, once the emergency decree is lifted.

Red-Shirt 'revolution' is all about money - The China Post

If Thaksin, with his associates, now decided to give, "under the table", 1B THB (around 30M USD) each to Abhisit, Suthep, Democrat and coalition MPs, and judges, would it change the entire political landscape?

Let's just hope that he and they don't still have another 345 Billion Baht stashed in the Cayman Islands.

001 Abhisit Vejjajiva, Prime Minister

001 Suthep Thaugsuban, Deputy Prime Minister

171 Democrat Party

032 Puea Pandin Party

031 Bhum Jai Thai Party

025 Chart Thai Pattana Party

009 Ruam Jai Thai Chat Pattana Party

060 Supreme Court

015 Constitutional Court

They declared the rally illegal when it crossed the line into illegal acts.

Not hard to comprehend if your biases don't defeat your logic.

They had a legal right to hold a rally IF it stayed within standards of legal protest practices.

When it crossed over that line, then it had to be shut down. Sadly they repeatedly crossed that line

farther and farther on purpose, to create ever greater disturbance and FORCE a hard closure.

Without violence the Reds could never hope to win their game plan, and without illegal actions,

they could never force a physical closing down of their operation,

and the bad press leading to a public uprising against the Dems, that they sought.

Again, like so many times before, they have miscalculated, grossly and obscenely.

If Thaksin, with his associates, now decided to give, "under the table", 1B THB (around 30M USD) each to Abhisit, Suthep, Democrat and coalition MPs, and judges, would it change the entire political landscape?

Let's just hope that he and they don't still have another 345 Billion Baht stashed in the Cayman Islands.

They may not actually have that much, but if we take the hypothesis a little further and consider the possibility that different people get different amounts (e.g. based on rank) such that each are adequately satisfied, then it becomes more realistic, and it could be less than 345B Baht.

I think with enough money, anyone could take over a country, either by negotiation, or, if that fails, force.

Edited by hyperdimension

Is anyone actually surprised that it cost loads of money for the red to hold a medium sized rally for a long time? Is anyone actually suprised that there are links between withdrawals and grenade and violent attacks?

Standard practice basically. The interesting thing this time aorund is that some, but I would guess not a lot, is being made public and it gives an insight to academics who like to study such things. For them this is a great opportunity to look at a well known but long hidden part of Thai political practice.

They may not actually have that much, but if we take the hypothesis a little further and consider the possibility that different people get different amounts (e.g. based on rank) such that each are adequately satisfied, then it becomes more realistic, and it could be less than 345B Baht.

I think with enough money, anyone could take over a country

Oh, I fully agree with that. Thaksin has already proven that before.

either by negotiation, or, if that fails, force.

I just hope he doesn't prove that.

DSI to Summon Individuals Named in Financial Investigation For Questioning

UPDATE : 21 June 2010

The Department of Special Investigation is waiting for the Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situation to issue arrest warrants for the 83 individuals suspected of being financiers of the anti-government movement, before they are summoned for questioning.

Chief of the Department of Special Investigation, or the DSI, Tharit Pengdit revealed that the department is waiting for the CRES, to issue arrest warrants for the 83 individuals suspected of being financial backers of illegal activities in the anti-government movement, before they can summon them for questioning.

Thai-ASEAN News Network

I think with enough money, anyone could take over a country

Oh, I fully agree with that. Thaksin has already proven that before.

Only temporarily, but eventually failed, as he was kicked out by the Military. But could he and his associates have prevented that by handing out more money to the right people, such that all dissatisfied parties in power (including the military) were adequately satisfied, i.e. they, their families and future descendants would live comfortably for the remainder of their lives?

Breaking News

CRES Summons 83 Individuals for Financing Reds

UPDATE : 21 June 2010

The Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situations, or CRES, has revealed that Army Chief General Anupong Paojinda has signed summons for 83 individuals believed to have financed the red shirt riots.

The individuals are to report to CRES on June 28.

Failing to do so could result in a two year jail term.

Thai-ASEAN News Network

Blacklisted people to be summoned for questioning

By The Nation

Published on June 22, 2010

Starting next Monday, the 83 people blacklisted for allegedly funding last month's violent red-shirt protests will be summoned to meet with the Department of Special Investigation after the Army commander yesterday signed a directive officially enabling the process.

The 83 people, mostly politicians and others with ties to ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, have until the end of next month to meet with DSI agents and defend their money transfers and business transactions suspected of funding red-shirt activities.

Failure to comply could result in a two-year prison term and/or a heavy fine.

The locations where the 83 people will meet with the DSI agents and officials from three other agencies will soon be announced. Many of the people may need to have extended meetings to clarify all questions regarding their money transfers, especially what they spent the cash on.

The DSI is also obtaining warrants to search the homes of many Pheu Thai Party MPs and other politicians for their suspected sheltering of fugitive red-shirt demonstrators, director-general Tharit Pengdit said yesterday.

DSI agents and Thai marshals are tracing red-shirt suspects wanted for torching city halls in several provinces and other arson attacks in Bangkok, Ratchaburi, Kanchanaburi and Chon Buri.

Many senior red shirts are reportedly hiding in Cambodia while allegedly plotting a third red-shirt rally and even underground operations in the coming months.

The blacklist was approved by the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Resolution at the recommendation of the Anti-Money Laundering Office.

Army chief General Anupong Paochinda has officially endorsed it, activating the entire process.

The DSI has taken over all criminal cases involving alleged acts of terrorism by the red shirts. Of the 155 cases, 75 concern direct acts of terrorism, 18 involve defying state authorities, 50 are assaults on state officials and others and 12 regard government-issued weapons.

Eighty-six suspects in 31 of the 155 cases, most of which were committed in Bangkok, have turned themselves in, 29 are on the run and one - Army specialist Khattiya Sawasdipol - died.

Of the arson attacks in five northeastern provinces, 396 suspects were wanted in nine cases - 105 have surrendered and 291 others are still hiding.

In the 31 cases in which suspects have turned themselves in, three have been indicted and one had all charges dropped.

Blacklisted people to be summoned for questioning

Warrants out Tommorow for Suspected Red-shirt Financiers

UPDATE : 22 June 2010

The special investigation agency schedules tomorrow to issue summonses for 83 individuals and entities for inquiry into their suspected financial support to the unruly red-shirt protests.

Director general of the Department of Special Investigation, or DSI, Tharit Pengdit, stated the suspects will be ordered to meet his agency's investigators from June 28 to July 12.

The first day is marked for eight companies. The following days are for those who have close ties with ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, including his family members.

Helping the DSI in the investigation are the Anti-Money Laundering Office, the Narcotics Control Board and the Revenue Department.

The inquiry will focus on the origins of the money transferred to these individuals and companies, both in the form of cash payments and through bank accounts, as well as their spending and tax payment.

Those who cannot show up as scheduled are allowed to authorize others in writing to give testimonies on their behalf but they must present plausible reasons for their absence or they will face legal action.

The suspects are also allowed to seek the DSI's permission on the resumption of their financial activities.

As for the red-shirt leaders held in prisons, investigators will question them in jail on July 8.

Thai-ASEAN News Network

MPs on Double Payrolls

UPDATE : 22 June 2010

Freezing the of accounts of individuals and corporate entities suspected to be the lifeline of the DAAD movement by the Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situations allows us to see the true color of the Pheu Thai Party which has been accused of being owned by the you-know-who billionaire.

"I don't have cash now. My credit card and bank books have been frozen. I have to borrow money from others to live and it makes my life very difficult. I'm surprised why I was blacklisted. I have only 1.8 million baht and it comes from my MP salary which is little more than 100,000 baht. I'm not ashamed to say that I receive only 50,000 baht more from my party every month," Lopburi MP Suchart Lainam-ngoen said.

His statement confirmed that he is on two payrolls. He might feel no shame to say what he said but people who hear it would feel partial on his behalf. It showed that Pheu Thai MPs receive money from the party's real leader.

Allow me to run a startling scenario for you. There are 189 Pheu Thai MPs. If all of them receive 50,000 baht from the party, the total amount of money 'the party' will pay them is 9.45 million baht a month. It totals 113 million baht a year. Over the three years that the party has been set up, a certain someone would have to pay up to 339 million baht. If this kind of arrangement is applied to Pheu Thai's two predecessors –the Thai Rak Thai Party and the People's Power Party – which existed over a period of 12 years, the amount of bonuses to these MPs would total at least two billion baht. There were a combined 376 MPs in the Thai Rak Thai Party and the People's Power Party.

The suspicious money going into the accounts of Pheu Thai MPs that CRES found is just one of many.

Other sums went to finance transporting red-shirts into Bangkok and the organizing of the rally at Saphan Pan Fah and the Ratchaprasong intersection. The money trail showed that the Pheu Thai Party is under the control of former PM and convict on the run Thaksin Shinawatra. He is the real owner of the party, not people who voted for it.

This discovery is, hopefully, a first step of many towards finding truths about other issues surrounding the DAAD movement. One question in particular is turning country administration into a profit making scheme by the party's owner who invested billions and took away dozens of billions.

Despite this sobering truth, still there are some who want to tear the current charter, which contains effective tools for keeping politicians in check.

There were tools for countering corruption written in the 1997 Constitution as well but they were not enough. The 2007 Constitution contains more measures to discourage corruption among politicians. Given that it is clear that the Pheu Thai Party is being run like a company with the boss and staff as well as 'payroll' and 'investment'. Should we amend the charter to allow corrupt politicians to continue to rob the nation?

Thai Post Editorial, Page 2, June 22 2010

Translated and Rewritten by Pornchai Sereemongkonpol

"Please note that the views expressed in our "Analysis" segment are translated from local newspaper articles and do not reflect the views of the Thai-ASEAN News Network

Thai-ASEAN News Network

list1g.png

Some of them seemed to get "extra bonuses" in addition to the above article's money:

Politicians:

Karun - Pheu Thai Party MP

Vicharn - Pheu Thai Party MP

Sudarat - Banned Thai Rak Thai Party MP

Santi - Pheu Thai Party MP

Chaiya - Banned People Power Party MP

Pracha - Pheu Thai Party MP

Charoen - Banned Thai Rak Thai Party MP

Sanguan - Banned Thai Rak Thai Party MP

Phairote - Pheu Thai Party MP

Chuwit - Pheu Thai Party MP

Somchai - Pheu Thai Party MP

Duangkae - Pheu Thai Party MP

Sermsak - Banned Thai Rak Thai Party MP

Somsak - Pheu Thai Party MP

Interrogation of blacklisted people begins on Monday

By The Nation

Published on June 23, 2010

The Department of Special Investigation (CRES)'s interrogation of 83 people and business entities blacklisted for their suspected funding of last month's red shirt protests begins on Monday.

The 83 people have been informed of the mandatory interviews and been given a direct contact number - 0851414187 - to prevent claims they did not know about the detailed schedule and failed to show up, director-general Tharit Phengdit said yesterday.

They will be required to account for every single money transfer or business transaction and many are expected to meet with the DSI more than once until all details are explained.

Those in the court's custody or in prison will be met personally by DSI agents or representatives from three other agencies. People on the run have been informed of the questioning schedule by postal contact and are required to send in their representatives.

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose bank accounts have been frozen, is expected to provide explanations regarding money transfers through his representatives or lawyer, Tharit said.

Interrogation of blacklisted people begins on Monday

Thaksin Summoned to Testify on June 29

2010-06-22 21:22:44

Xinhua

Ousted Thai former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his family member have been summoned to testify on June 29 as key anti-government "red-shirts" leaders have been obligated for interrogation on July 8, the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) disclosed on Tuesday.

Thaksin, his family member, and the "red-shirts" leaders are among 83 individuals and companies alleged of providing financial assistance to the recent anti-government United front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) movements.

The interrogation of the 83 is scheduled from June 28 to July 12 starting from 09:00 a.m. local time. Overall, each day up to eight individuals and firms from the total 83 will be questioned by four authorities, DSI chief Tharit Pengdit told a press conference Tuesday.

The four authorities are the DSI, the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO), Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB), and the Revenue Department, Tharit said.

Thailand's former national army chief General Chaisit Shinawatra, who is the elder cousin of Thaksin, will be interrogated on June 30.

The four authorities will fully give them a chance to clarify with witnesses and evidences. Hence, it is believed that there will be 2nd and 3rd round of the interrogation for each of them, the DSI chief said.

"For Thaksin, I believe he will have his representative to meet with the interrogators. If the representative is legally appointed with proved documents, we are ready to accept the clarification," Tharit said.

The concerned authorities will investigate their financial transactions made over the past nine months to probe if their financial transactions had been linked up with terrorism, Deputy Prime Minister in charge of security affairs Suthep Thaugsuban said on Monday.

"We expect to complete the interrogation process within 60 days, " Tharit said.

The outcome of the examination will be forwarded to the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) and cabinet, Tharit said earlier.

The death toll from a series of violent clashes between the " red-shirts" protesters and troops from March 12 to May 19 in central Bangkok stood at 88 and 1,885 others were wounded.

Thaksin was ousted by the military coup in September, 2006, in accusation of massive corruption, and kept in exile since then.

Thaksin returned to Thailand in February, 2008 to face corruption charges, but he later fled into exile again and was convicted in absentia.

Thaksin Summoned to Testify on June 29

Wrote something on this on another thread way back but seems relevant again.

I find it sad that Thaksin chose to try to get back in such a violent and destructive way.

I think it was L H who said somewhere else ;He only has the best interest of Thailand at heart; (not the exact quote) if that were true then he could have done so much for the country and the people if he had spent his money in a constructive way.

If he had chosen to really do something for the poor of the country by for instance building clinics or schools in remote and poor areas or free universities for the children from poorer areas with scholarships to top universities both in Thailand and overseas the money he has spent on the ‘rally’ which ended in death and destruction and the cost to the country of so much money and so many jobs would have been well spent and a benefit to the country and the people.

Had he gone down this path I am sure he would have received huge support from the people and the international community and would most probably have been able to buy his way out of his jail sentence and have any other action against him revoked.

He has undoubtedly got business acumen that could have been of immense use to this country if corruption could have been eliminated and I suspect if he had chosen to actually help the country he would have been back now with enough popular support to win the next election.

But it seems revenge and greed took precedence.

Wrote something on this on another thread way back but seems relevant again.

I find it sad that Thaksin chose to try to get back in such a violent and destructive way.

I think it was L H who said somewhere else ;He only has the best interest of Thailand at heart; (not the exact quote) if that were true then he could have done so much for the country and the people if he had spent his money in a constructive way.

If he had chosen to really do something for the poor of the country by for instance building clinics or schools in remote and poor areas or free universities for the children from poorer areas with scholarships to top universities both in Thailand and overseas the money he has spent on the ‘rally’ which ended in death and destruction and the cost to the country of so much money and so many jobs would have been well spent and a benefit to the country and the people.

Had he gone down this path I am sure he would have received huge support from the people and the international community and would most probably have been able to buy his way out of his jail sentence and have any other action against him revoked.

He has undoubtedly got business acumen that could have been of immense use to this country if corruption could have been eliminated and I suspect if he had chosen to actually help the country he would have been back now with enough popular support to win the next election.

But it seems revenge and greed took precedence.

Agree with what you say except I don't believe his business acumen is that good. According to Wikipedia, most of his ventures failed. Here is a quote from that article:

"Thaksin and his wife began several businesses while he was still in the police, including a silk shop, a movie theater, and an apartment building. All were failures and left him over 50 million baht in debt. In 1982 he established ICSI; using his police contacts, he leased computers to government agencies with modest success. However, later ventures in security systems (SOS) and public bus radio services (Bus Sound) all failed.[32][33] In April 1986, he founded Advanced Info Service (AIS), which started off as a computer rental business.[34]

In 1987 Thaksin resigned from the police. He then marketed a romance drama called "Baan Sai Thong", which became a popular success in theaters.[35][36] In 1988 he joined Pacific Telesis to operate and market the PacLink pager service, a modest success, though Thaksin later sold his shares to establish his own paging company.[32][37] In 1989 he launched IBC, a cable television company, which lost money and eventually merged with the CP Group's UTV.[32][38] In 1989, Thaksin established a data networking service, Shinawatra DataCom,[32] today known as Advanced Data Network and owned by AIS and the TOT.[39] Many of Thaksin's businesses were later consolidated as Shin Corp."

He did make big bucks via AIS. But I think luck had a lot to do with it. Right place at the right time.

The article is well worth a read...interesting stuff. Revenge and greed are for sure his major traits....