Suddenly They Were Gone...

chiangmai_then

I saw them frequently walking around in Chiang Mai about 6-7 years ago and suddenly they were gone :

1) An elderly German man, lean, in his sixties, talkative, intelligent, wearing glasses, and who did stay at Montri Hotel,

2) Another German (language speaking) man, potbellied, not really tall, bearded, who had a Thai-German son of about 8 years old and who did stay in a small house in a soi off Moon Meuang Road close to Montri Hotel.

3) An Isrealian man, in his thirties, athletic, who looked like a person not to mess around with, who drove around on his chopper, and could often be seen in the company of girls, sometimes at "John's Place".

4) A man who did walk around barefooted, often wearing yellow clothes, wearing glasses, looking like a introvert yogic kind of person.

Just wondering who they were and where are they now ? Anyone who knows ?

Gawd, if we're all going to start asking about all the freaks we've ever seen in Chiang Mai, we'll all spend the rest of our lives here :D

Plus, I fear, someone is bound to ask about 'that huge american teacher who was the manager at John's Place' :o

Edited by Ajarn

I fear, someone is bound to ask about 'that huge american teacher who was the manager at John's Place'  :D

Ah, I forgot that one Ajarn, but now I recall. Didn't last too long, right?

Another fantasy crashed and burned :D

It was a very interesting learning experience, but it wasn't quite what I had envisioned. After a month of all these characters, that was enough for me. This was in 1994, as I recall.

I knew Somchais's (John) brother, Winai, from Bkk, and later met Somchai when I used to breakfast at the library next door. We got to talking, and he asked me to cover for him for a few weeks while he was in Bkk. He knew I didn't drink, and could speak passable Thai, and new my way around the scene, somewhat. The money was quite good, but it was one problem after another, either between the staff, or between the staff and customers. One farang wanted his barfine back after an unsatisfactory roll in the hay. I told him that he didn't make any deal with me, so he should talk to whoever he gave his money to, that I'm not a pimp... Though I sure did feel like one, and that just bothered me too much. I just didn't have the heart for that kind of business or lifestyle.

It was also interesting to see a different side to a number of CMU ajarns, and some other teachers, jomama. :D

That experience is my darkest secret here. :o

What strikes me about the characters or just run-of-the-mill farang that you become acquainted with in Chiang Mai is that they're around for quite a while, and you get to know them to a certain degree, and suddenly "poof!" they disappear like a genie. You may never hear of them again. Did they get killed in a bike wreck, or a murder? Did they get deported, or just go back home, or to Burma? We;ll never know. Or, they might turn up two years later, very much the same or very different.

It happened sometimes back home, but seems more common here.

2) Another German (language speaking) man, potbellied, not really tall, bearded, who had a Thai-German son of about 8 years old and who did stay in a small house in a soi off Moon Meuang Road close to Montri Hotel.

H. was a long time friend. Last I heard he was deported for overstaying his visa by a decade or so. I do not know what has become of his son R. H was a very brilliant individual, a computer programmer in the 1970s. He was very well read, and conversant on just about any topic. He loved a good argument and that made him difficult at times as you had little chance of winning an argument with him. So one had to let him have his say on any one subject and them hopefully he would move on to the next subject. Needless to say brilliant eccentrics, not to mention being a bit off the rocker, tend to have few friends and for awhile he had even become persona non grata at the Stube, not an easy accomplishment. I do rember that he invited me to a Hash run back around 1983 so he was not always as isolated as he later became.

He was married to a woman from one of the KMT villages up near Fang where the residents were at the time prevented from obtaining Thai citizenship. I use to date her sister, a woman named Seng who you old timers might remember from the Karen Hut. His wife ended up in prison on drug charges as the village was a major distribution center for Khun Sa. So he became a single parent, not a job he ws particularly well suited to do, but he did his best just like all us dads.

H. was a good friend, a real character, a part of the Chiang Mai ex-pat community from long ago and I can only hope that he and his son are doing well back in Germany.

I know, this is probably getting too much, but what about:

The farang lady who was half-crippled -- she had been hit by a bus in Bangkok -- she owned the Mexican food restaurant. I recall she was a noted expert on ceramics.

Old Man Ed, who grew palm trees at one time, then switched to herbal tea. And his partner Bruce. Then there’s one-armed John. Part of the breakfast crowd at the Stube.

Old Man Ed, who grew palm trees at one time, then switched to herbal tea. And his partner Bruce. Then there’s one-armed John. Part of the breakfast crowd at the Stube.

I have not seen either Ed of John in several years. Ed was already a long time resident of Chiang Mai when I first arrived. I never did quite figure out how he stayed so many decades without leaving while the rest of us had to make either a visa run or at least monthly visits to immigration for extensions. Ed seemed to have a new business every few years, usually involved with agriculture somehow. He was a real gentleman and was always gracious to my wife and kids when we would meet at the Stube. Same for one-armed John, another very gracious gent towards my family.

I always liked to hit the Stube in the morning if I was in the city in the earlier part of the AM as that group always welcomed me. And I still like to stop by at other times as it is the one place I have a chance of bumping into the other dinosaurs of the ex-pat scene. Not to mention that I have been friends with Tip and the rest of the gang there for over 25 years now. But let's be honest, as much as I love that place it does need an overhaul.

I always liked to hit the Stube in the morning if I was in the city in the earlier part of the AM as that group always welcomed me.  And I still like to stop by at other times as it is the one place I have a chance of bumping into the other dinosaurs of the ex-pat scene.  Not to mention that I have been friends with Tip and the rest of the gang there for over 25 years now.  But let's be honest, as much as I love that place it does need an overhaul.

I haven't been there in many years. Have they changed the menu at all? It was my feeling more than a decade ago that the same entrees had been on offer since long before my arrival. Last I was there it was the same, except little stickers on the prices raising them a bit. As I recall the restaurant was started by a Vietnam Vet long ago, though it has a German name.

• 2 weeks later...
I know, this is probably getting too much, but what about:

The farang lady who was half-crippled -- she had been hit by a bus in Bangkok -- she owned the Mexican food restaurant. I recall she was a noted expert on ceramics.

As of a year or so ago Ed was still out in Mae Jo on his farm (though he no longer owned it but was renting). Bruce was teaching at an international school in the mideast somewhere. John was still around and meeting regularly with Ed as of 2 years ago. Find Ed and you will probably find John

Check out the restaurant at the Amari Rincome. He and Siriwan and quite a few expats would meet there weekly for the buffet lunch (Sunday maybe?). The manager and most staff knew him well. I can possibly track down an email address for Ed's friend Siriwan if you want it.

I ran into one-armed John late last year on Moon Muang Rd. Apart from getting a bit older he was well enough and said he didn't get out so much these days.

Although I am not living in Thailand these days I get back every few months and never fail to run into old friends in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Always good to see them and recall the old days.

BigMac