Thailand's Image And Tourism

webfact

I think many of us want Thailand to loose tourist to punish them for the things they do wrong in our eyes. Unfortunately this wont really happen (believe me id like it too if they lost a lot of tourist and found out it was because of the scams) But ppl keep coming her or should i say cumming here because of the Thai girls.

That is the one thing that they have cheap sex. Other things like the beaches you can find that in the Philippines or Malaysia or Vietnam. But cheap sex .. that is just in Thailand.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think many of us want Thailand to loose tourist to punish them for the things they do wrong in our eyes. Unfortunately this wont really happen (believe me id like it too if they lost a lot of tourist and found out it was because of the scams) But ppl keep coming her or should i say cumming here because of the Thai girls.

That is the one thing that they have cheap sex. Other things like the beaches you can find that in the Philippines or Malaysia or Vietnam. But cheap sex .. that is just in Thailand.

Philippines and Cambodia is actually cheaperwhistling.gifthumbsup.gif for sex that is

Edited by kuffki

I think backpackers and the single male groups will keep coming

to Thailand in high levels (maybe not quite as high as a few years

ago). I think Thailand will find it harder to attract couples and families

as they prefer a safe less hassle destination.

I have to say Thailand gets a bashing on TV sometimes, but I do

believe it is still a good place to holiday but not so good to live as

you will always be considered a tourist or outsider by locals.

I think backpackers and the single male groups will keep coming

to Thailand in high levels (maybe not quite as high as a few years

ago). I think Thailand will find it harder to attract couples and families

as they prefer a safe less hassle destination.

I have to say Thailand gets a bashing on TV sometimes, but I do

believe it is still a good place to holiday but not so good to live as

you will always be considered a tourist or outsider by locals.

Amen to thatjap.gif

Sorry people,

Tourist are already coming back, most people in other countries do not base their holidays on temporary political unrest in a country.

They base their holiday destination on the proposals of travel agents, and Thailand has so many thing to offer, and the prices are still very reasonable.

Only during the height of the protests and all the biased media attention their where less bookings from immediate travelers.

Even cancellations where limited, people already booked and will have the attitude of wait and see what happens.

After about May 25 all the attention about Thailand died in the international media.

And the other things which are mentioned in some posts, stories of crime, cheating of tourists, etc will happens in every tourist destination.

Sorry kuifje, tourists are not coming back. I live in a tourist area and have done for some time and this is the lowest of low seasons.

Tourists are as scarce as rocking horse sh it.

Thai tourism is on it's knees and the only people to blame are themselves.. The thai national sport is extort money from tourists and expat's alike, thisleaves a nasty taste in one's mouth. People come here and see this time and time again, soon Thailand will be a place where tourists will come to big amarican style resorts and people wont travel outside for fear of being shot, robbed, beaten, raped, ripped off (this is just by the thai police), This country is not safe for anyone, we're all moving targets, it's non stop from the motor bike ripping you off *paying 3-10 more than thai), to in fact every time you walk out the door it's getting to the point where I'm thinking of leaving and going to Vietnam.

I used to love thailand but it just gets worst, smilling face while holding a knife behind their backs waiting for an oppertunity.. Everyone thought thais were peaceful race, I disagree. I would say there are probably 10 bad for every 1 good now. The people on here that ttry to turn every comment into a political ending---GET A LIFE! The only people who screwed this country up and made it the laughing stock of the world- Look in the morror. Soon the big farang companies and investment will leave thailand for safer, nicer, calmer, more honest shores (they wont be looking far).

Until this country soets out it's riddled epic curruption from top to bottom it will never ever have a chance of moving forward in modern society (maybe they like going backwards).

Are you kidding me?? Not to many people are basing there vacation to Thailand on old crimes. Most people do not even know of these incidents. The image of Thailand has been tarnished more by the recent conflict. Do I want to visit a country that just killed over 80 of it's own People? A country that is repressive in free speech and actually will go so far as to try and buy a satellite to restrict anti-government venues. I am not a red shirt supporter by the way before you blast into me. This tourism article is misplaced and I think it is trying to shift the lack of visitors to Thailand away from ' Reality"

I embrace Truth. If Thailand is seen realistically and honestly then I think it's appropriate and necessary. Image is defined as: an optical counterpart or appearance of an object, as isproduced by reflection from a mirror...

Good hopefully "saving face" e.g. denial will die in our lifetime. If Thailand is anti-democratic and corrupt at EVERY level then why not acknowledge it. If one steals then on is a thief. Right? If on does not tell the truth then one is known as a liar.

Re: tourism

I wonder if all sex-tourists stayed home how that would impact Thailand's tourism?

Are you kidding me?? Not to many people are basing there vacation to Thailand on old crimes. Most people do not even know of these incidents. The image of Thailand has been tarnished more by the recent conflict. Do I want to visit a country that just killed over 80 of it's own People? A country that is repressive in free speech and actually will go so far as to try and buy a satellite to restrict anti-government venues. I am not a red shirt supporter by the way before you blast into me. This tourism article is misplaced and I think it is trying to shift the lack of visitors to Thailand away from ' Reality"

Re: tourism

I wonder if all sex-tourists stayed home how that would impact Thailand's tourism?

Then i am afraid will have another massive protest but with 1000 000 if not more sex workers and their family's a who will demand for the government to bring foreign men back or they will stay in BKK center for ever and i doubt army will be able to disperse them-lol

On a serious note, in all my time living here, one thing i have learned is that behind every "working" girl there is at least 2-5 free loaders that do nothing but demand money. Sometimes can not help but feel sorry for some of this girls

Slightly off topic but real eye opener. i have been friends with bar girl for a few years (strictly friends). Her mother and father do not work even though they young. Younger brother married with a baby and also has a mia noi with a baby and he does not work.The wife and mia noi also do not work. Brother must have a car to drive mother to the market. So mother, father, brother, brother's wife and baby, brothers mia noi and baby all demand money from this girl. Does she or did she or will she ever have any choice in life?

Too true.

Thailand now has an Emergency Decree in place to arrest anyone they want to and place them in prison without charges against them and no bail.

There is no freedom of the media. Government propaganda blasts out unabated.

The foreign media is lambasted as "biased" simply as it reports the truth.

Hundreds of thousands of websites are blocked by the government.

Terrorists in the south bomb, kill and behead civilians and yet are not called terrorists.

Protestors demanding new elections are called terrorists.

Thailand is a disgrace now and its no surprise the tourists are not visiting. Probably Burma is more "democratic" and "free and just" than Thailand now.

Too true.

Thailand now has an Emergency Decree in place to arrest anyone they want to and place them in prison without charges against them and no bail.

There is no freedom of the media. Government propaganda blasts out unabated.

The foreign media is lambasted as "biased" simply as it reports the truth.

Hundreds of thousands of websites are blocked by the government.

Terrorists in the south bomb, kill and behead civilians and yet are not called terrorists.

Protestors demanding new elections are called terrorists.

Thailand is a disgrace now and its no surprise the tourists are not visiting. Probably Burma is more "democratic" and "free and just" than Thailand now.

yEP all of that is the reason why tourists are not comingrolleyes.gif

Thai government is first on tourist priority list, because everyone in the world follow Thailand political situation and everyone in the world tries to check out blocked sites and everyone in the world watches Thai Tv for government propaganda and everyone in the world plans to visit the south and question why they are not classified as being terrorists, everyone in the world reads Thai newspapers, "Red" newspapers to see who is demanding for new elections

PS. Have you personally checked out the hundreds of thousands of websites that are blocked by the government???

"One of the most lucrative industries with no need for further investment is tourism."

"Even though no additional investment is needed for the tourism sector,...."

Twice, the article mentions that no further investment is required. Therein lies the problem. No need to invest in tourism infrastructure and maintenance of the natural assets, which by the way is degrading year after year???? Apart from the sex-tourism sector, many come for beaches and Thailand's natural heritage. There comes a point-of-no-return where enough people get pissed off with say bad beaches, spread the word and never return. Once that reputation for dirty environment sticks, then the $$$$ to be spent on cleaning up and restoring reputation will cost a whole lot more.

A good example is Pattaya...see how hard it is for them to shake off the seedy, dirty reputation (even if a lot is not entirely true) despite the leaders' stated aims of trying to clean up its image and to develop the non-sex tourism sector. Had the beaches and general environment remained clean and acceptable, perhaps less effort/cost would be required now to re-invent itself as a "family destination". :)

Lake Ozette posted

Are you kidding me?? Not to many people are basing there vacation to Thailand on old crimes. Most people do not even know of these incidents. The image of Thailand has been tarnished more by the recent conflict. Do I want to visit a country that just killed over 80 of it's own People? A country that is repressive in free speech and actually will go so far as to try and buy a satellite to restrict anti-government venues. I am not a red shirt supporter by the way before you blast into me. This tourism article is misplaced and I think it is trying to shift the lack of visitors to Thailand away from ' Reality

Well your right but more and more those "old crimes" are being reported in the international press. I was questioned by two germans about the deaths, mystery deaths hmm, of the two women at the Phi Phi Island Guest house while in Indonesia two months back. Two Philippino americans I knopw flat out refuse to go to Thailand because of how a friend was treated on a trip. Seems the local Kone Thai assumed this person was a PI guest worker in LOS, they were downright ugly to them.

The word is getting out

Sorry people,

Tourist are already coming back, most people in other countries do not base their holidays on temporary political unrest in a country.

They base their holiday destination on the proposals of travel agents, and Thailand has so many thing to offer, and the prices are still very reasonable.

Only during the height of the protests and all the biased media attention their where less bookings from immediate travelers.

Even cancellations where limited, people already booked and will have the attitude of wait and see what happens.

After about May 25 all the attention about Thailand died in the international media.

And the other things which are mentioned in some posts, stories of crime, cheating of tourists, etc will happens in every tourist destination.

Thailand has so many things to offer

1. Get extorted in the airport

2. Get scammed and assaulted by the tuk tuk drivers

3. Get scammed by the jet ski operator

4. Get extorted by the police while riding around

5. Get run off the road by a drunk driver and spend some time in the hospital

6. Get robbed by the hotel cleaners

7. Get attacked by the monkeys

and the list goes on.

And all that is for a bargain price of 20% more expensive in Euro about the same for pound, AU$, US$

Where do i sign up???

Nonsense. If a person is stupid enough to fall for the scams, then oh well. You don't need to go to thailand to get scammed. I have been there close to a dozen times, lets see:

1. Get extorted in the airport No, never.

2. Get scammed and assaulted by the tuk tuk drivers. Scammed? Maybe once, the old 10 baht to go somewhere and 100 baht to get back trick. Big deal, feel for it once and never again.

3. Get scammed by the jet ski operator. Nope, rode jet-skis countless times, never had much of a problem.

4. Get extorted by the police while riding around. Yeah, gave a police officer 100 baht to buy my way out of a no helmet fine. Big deal. Ever been to Tijuana?

5. Get run off the road by a drunk driver and spend some time in the hospital. Luckily, no. But drunk driving is not a Thailand-specific problem.

6. Get robbed by the hotel cleaners. Nope, never. Maybe look into moving to a hotel out of the 200-500 baht a night range.

7. Get attacked by the monkeys. ha ha, Seriously?

Thailand is still a great place to vacation. If you know what you are doing. Touts and scammers are at every major holiday destination. Just be smart.

Sorry people,

and the list goes on.

And all that is for a bargain price of 20% more expensive in Euro about the same for pound, AU$, US$

Where do i sign up???

Nonsense. If a person is stupid enough to fall for the scams, then oh well. You don't need to go to thailand to get scammed. I have been there close to a dozen times, lets see:

2. Get scammed and assaulted by the tuk tuk drivers. Scammed? Maybe once, the old 10 baht to go somewhere and 100 baht to get back trick. Big deal, feel for it once and never again.

3. Get scammed by the jet ski operator. Nope, rode jet-skis countless times, never had much of a problem.

4. Get extorted by the police while riding around. Yeah, gave a police officer 100 baht to buy my way out of a no helmet fine. Big deal. Ever been to Tijuana?

5. Get run off the road by a drunk driver and spend some time in the hospital. Luckily, no. But drunk driving is not a Thailand-specific problem.

6. Get robbed by the hotel cleaners. Nope, never. Maybe look into moving to a hotel out of the 200-500 baht a night range.

Thailand is still a great place to vacation. If you know what you are doing. Touts and scammers are at every major holiday destination. Just be smart.

Clearly common sense would suggest that out of 16 000 000 tourists per year not every single one gets scammed. however there has been enough scams to be worried about. Just because you are Mr Know it all it does not mean that every traveller is so smart.

If you were conned or scammed in Australia, not only you wll be reimbursed but the person liable would be charged, same goes for most other "normal" destinations.

And when you make a complaint it is act upon, unlike in Thailand where not only you unable to make one, but should you find somewhere to report it-nothing will be done, if anything you will be at fault

Just reading your response, i have a feeling you either have not even been in Thailand and planning your first trip or did a brief stop over.

1. Get extorted in the airport No, never. HMM, I GUESS PAYING DOUBLE FOR A TAXI FARE AND ITS AIRPORT POLICY IS NOT SCAMMING, ESPECIALLY WHEN TAKING TAXI TO PATTAYA

2. Get scammed and assaulted by the tuk tuk drivers. Scammed? Maybe once, the old 10 baht to go somewhere and 100 baht to get back trick. Big deal, feel for it once and never again. -NO SUCH THING, WHAT PLACE IN THAILAND HAS TUK TUK FOR 10 BAHT?????

3. Get scammed by the jet ski operator. Nope, rode jet-skis countless times, never had much of a problem. - TOTAL LIE, WHERE DID YOU JET SKI IN BANGKOK OR JETSKI SHOWROOM?

4. Get extorted by the police while riding around. Yeah, gave a police officer 100 baht to buy my way out of a no helmet fine. Big deal. Ever been to Tijuana?100 BAHT? 200% YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THAILAND

5. Get run off the road by a drunk driver and spend some time in the hospital. Luckily, no. But drunk driving is not a Thailand-specific problem. REALLY HAVE NO IDEA DO YOU?

6. Get robbed by the hotel cleaners. Nope, never. Maybe look into moving to a hotel out of the 200-500 baht a night range. TIME TO READ PAPERS OR FORUMS NOT LIVE IN A "WANNA BE" WORLD

7. Get attacked by the monkeys. ha ha, Seriously?TRY READING FORUM YOU JOINED

Sorry people,

and the list goes on.

Where do i sign up???

Clearly common sense would suggest that out of 16 000 000 tourists per year not every single one gets scammed. however there has been enough scams to be worried about. Just because you are Mr Know it all it does not mean that every traveller is so smart.

If you were conned or scammed in Australia, not only you wll be reimbursed but the person liable would be charged, same goes for most other "normal" destinations.

And when you make a complaint it is act upon, unlike in Thailand where not only you unable to make one, but should you find somewhere to report it-nothing will be done, if anything you will be at fault

Just reading your response, i have a feeling you either have not even been in Thailand and planning your first trip or did a brief stop over.

1. Get extorted in the airport No, never. HMM, I GUESS PAYING DOUBLE FOR A TAXI FARE AND ITS AIRPORT POLICY IS NOT SCAMMING, ESPECIALLY WHEN TAKING TAXI TO PATTAYA

2. Get scammed and assaulted by the tuk tuk drivers. Scammed? Maybe once, the old 10 baht to go somewhere and 100 baht to get back trick. Big deal, feel for it once and never again. -NO SUCH THING, WHAT PLACE IN THAILAND HAS TUK TUK FOR 10 BAHT?????

3. Get scammed by the jet ski operator. Nope, rode jet-skis countless times, never had much of a problem. - TOTAL LIE, WHERE DID YOU JET SKI IN BANGKOK OR JETSKI SHOWROOM?

4. Get extorted by the police while riding around. Yeah, gave a police officer 100 baht to buy my way out of a no helmet fine. Big deal. Ever been to Tijuana?100 BAHT? 200% YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THAILAND

5. Get run off the road by a drunk driver and spend some time in the hospital. Luckily, no. But drunk driving is not a Thailand-specific problem. REALLY HAVE NO IDEA DO YOU?

6. Get robbed by the hotel cleaners. Nope, never. Maybe look into moving to a hotel out of the 200-500 baht a night range. TIME TO READ PAPERS OR FORUMS NOT LIVE IN A "WANNA BE" WORLD

7. Get attacked by the monkeys. ha ha, Seriously?TRY READING FORUM YOU JOINED

well buddy hate to break it to you but I have no reason to lie to you. The taxis run the meter at the airport besides the airport fee I have never paid double. Unless you are talking about the touts inside the airport that offer the limo service, which anybody who has spent more than a trip in LOS knows to avoid. Also a little tip, if you walk upstairs to the departure level and hop in a taxi that has just dropped off someone, you bypass the airport fee and drive off at the meter rate. If you had ever thought about stuff like that instead of complaining on internet forums maybe you wouldnt be such an obvious target for the scammers.

It is common for the tuk tuk drivers to use that scam in bkk, take you to a place (in my case a massage parlor) for 10 baht, then when you come back out they want 100 baht to bring you back. It is worth taking you there at the discount rate because they get a "finders fee" of sorts for bringing customers to the shop. Then when you get out they know you need a ride back and can up the price. Like I said, a simple, clever tactic that hardly even qualifies as a "scam"

rode jet skis in pattaya and phuket and samui. flipped one once and had to haggle for a bit, but didn't pay any extra money. Like I said, these operators can spot people who are succeptible to scams and/or intimidation, you must have that aura about you.

I could go on point by point but I dont see the point besides stating that I did read about the lady getting attacked by a monkey in phuket, but to use that incident as a reason to avoid Thailand is absurd.

well buddy hate to break it to you but I have no reason to lie to you. The taxis run the meter at the airport besides the airport fee I have never paid double. Unless you are talking about the touts inside the airport that offer the limo service, which anybody who has spent more than a trip in LOS knows to avoid. Also a little tip, if you walk upstairs to the departure level and hop in a taxi that has just dropped off someone, you bypass the airport fee and drive off at the meter rate. If you had ever thought about stuff like that instead of complaining on internet forums maybe you wouldnt be such an obvious target for the scammers.

It is common for the tuk tuk drivers to use that scam in bkk, take you to a place (in my case a massage parlor) for 10 baht, then when you come back out they want 100 baht to bring you back. It is worth taking you there at the discount rate because they get a "finders fee" of sorts for bringing customers to the shop. Then when you get out they know you need a ride back and can up the price. Like I said, a simple, clever tactic that hardly even qualifies as a "scam"

rode jet skis in pattaya and phuket and samui. flipped one once and had to haggle for a bit, but didn't pay any extra money. Like I said, these operators can spot people who are succeptible to scams and/or intimidation, you must have that aura about you.

I could go on point by point but I dont see the point besides stating that I did read about the lady getting attacked by a monkey in phuket, but to use that incident as a reason to avoid Thailand is absurd.

LMAO

Next time you come for a visit, go take taxi meter from the official meter stand to Pattaya and see what meter they will run and how much you will pay

Dah, if tuk tuk offers to take you to massage parlor for 10 baht-firstly you are already getting ripped off as he gets 500 baht per customer, secondly if he is willing to drive for 10 baht, would not you question why? Thirdly going to massage parlor with tuk tuk is already a sign of not having much idea or doing any research at all.

Since you take tuk tuk to massage parlor, i am failing to see your aura when it comes to haggling with jet ski. i am sure they let you go with no money-DREAM ON. Bigger and smarter guys were ripped off.

As said before, it is not about you knowing all, it is about a average tourist and there has been enough accident and incidents for many people to avoid Thailand. The only people that will not be deterred by anything are the sex tourists, but slowly they are also learning that there are other places to go where its cheaper and easier, Angeles City for example offers same quality of girls but for half if not third the price of Thailand and almost fluent English and 100% no scams if you stick to rules provided in each hotel

LMAO

Next time you come for a visit, go take taxi meter from the official meter stand to Pattaya and see what meter they will run and how much you will pay

Dah, if tuk tuk offers to take you to massage parlor for 10 baht-firstly you are already getting ripped off as he gets 500 baht per customer, secondly if he is willing to drive for 10 baht, would not you question why? Thirdly going to massage parlor with tuk tuk is already a sign of not having much idea or doing any research at all.

Since you take tuk tuk to massage parlor, i am failing to see your aura when it comes to haggling with jet ski. i am sure they let you go with no money-DREAM ON. Bigger and smarter guys were ripped off.

As said before, it is not about you knowing all, it is about a average tourist and there has been enough accident and incidents for many people to avoid Thailand. The only people that will not be deterred by anything are the sex tourists, but slowly they are also learning that there are other places to go where its cheaper and easier, Angeles City for example offers same quality of girls but for half if not third the price of Thailand and almost fluent English and 100% no scams if you stick to rules provided in each hotel

I took the tuk tuk to the massage parlor the first time i was in thailand. If you paid attention to what I said, I said I did it once and never fell for it again. This has become a tiresome back and forth so I am going to let it go. I dont need to prove to you or anyone else on here the things I have done in thailand. The things I have described are not remarkable or unbelievable feats and the fact that you view them that way says a lot about you and your experiences in similar situations. If you prefer the Phil to LOS I suggest you go there. Thailand's trouble with tourism has everything to do with the political turmoil and next to nothing to do with the petty scams that go on.

LMAO

I took the tuk tuk to the massage parlor the first time i was in thailand. If you paid attention to what I said, I said I did it once and never fell for it again. This has become a tiresome back and forth so I am going to let it go. I dont need to prove to you or anyone else on here the things I have done in thailand. The things I have described are not remarkable or unbelievable feats and the fact that you view them that way says a lot about you and your experiences in similar situations. If you prefer the Phil to LOS I suggest you go there. Thailand's trouble with tourism has everything to do with the political turmoil and next to nothing to do with the petty scams that go on.

You absolutely right, can not argue with your logic after all you damaged a jet ski and with your strong aura did not have to pay!jap.gif

You seem to have a hard time processing written information. Is English your first language? I never said I damaged the jet ski. I said I flipped it over in the water. There was absolutely no damage to the Jet Ski, but the kid on the beach tried to make me pay extra anyways. As I turned it back over myself, and continued riding it until the session was over, I did not pay him anything, because there was no damage.

That is what I was saying about being astute enough to figure out things like that. Those kids on the beach and the guys renting motorbikes all get a cut of extra money they can pull out of people, and they have a keen sense on picking up the people most likely to fall for it. People like yourself, apparently.

You seem to have a hard time processing written information. Is English your first language? I never said I damaged the jet ski. I said I flipped it over in the water. There was absolutely no damage to the Jet Ski, but the kid on the beach tried to make me pay extra anyways. As I turned it back over myself, and continued riding it until the session was over, I did not pay him anything, because there was no damage.

That is what I was saying about being astute enough to figure out things like that. Those kids on the beach and the guys renting motorbikes all get a cut of extra money they can pull out of people, and they have a keen sense on picking up the people most likely to fall for it. People like yourself, apparently.

Mate, not to be insulting but you sound like a troll.

For starters a tourist is teaching an expat about Thailand is already trolling

Some one who just joined today can not possibly be as super smart as you in regards to Thailand

and lastly since you are such an expert on Thailand, people and its ways, do you mind sharing with me, how you got that smart? where you learned all the tricks from? and how is it that you managed to have all this info about Thailand and scams and frauds and everything else when you only joined today?

Someone with such extensive knowledge of the country and its culture and how to deal with locals i would imagine would of been a member for long time

You have a very high opinion of this board. Apparently the time spent as a member of this particular message board is your main criteria on judging someone's expertise on Thailand. Truth is, I joined this board to follow the top notch coverage during the red shirt protests.

I never claimed to be the Thai guru, but I have spent a fair amount of time there, and picked up on the scams and tricks pretty quick. Some of it I read about, and some of it was learned doing countless hours conversations in various watering holes over obscene amounts of Singha. To be honest, a lot of it is just common sense. It's basic, you pick it up on the street. Everybody always has an angle, for the most part. People, especially those who make a living selling goods and/or services on the street rarely have the customer's best interest in mind.

So you are an expat huh? I get it now. You are one of those bitter old expats who is constantly pissed off that the thais get to ride for 5 baht on the baht bus and you have to pay 10. I know your kind all to well. Crashed any bar parties for the free meal lately, Charlie:P?

You have a very high opinion of this board. Apparently the time spent as a member of this particular message board is your main criteria on judging someone's expertise on Thailand. Truth is, I joined this board to follow the top notch coverage during the red shirt protests.

I never claimed to be the Thai guru, but I have spent a fair amount of time there, and picked up on the scams and tricks pretty quick. Some of it I read about, and some of it was learned doing countless hours conversations in various watering holes over obscene amounts of Singha. To be honest, a lot of it is just common sense. It's basic, you pick it up on the street. Everybody always has an angle, for the most part. People, especially those who make a living selling goods and/or services on the street rarely have the customer's best interest in mind.

So you are an expat huh? I get it now. You are one of those bitter old expats who is constantly pissed off that the thais get to ride for 5 baht on the baht bus and you have to pay 10. I know your kind all to well. Crashed any bar parties for the free meal lately, Charlie:P?

I am sorry but now you have proven to be a troll.

You joined the forum to follow the red shirts?after everything finished-good one

Prior to making your assumptions, click on persons profile to see the age

I do not ride buses, i have my own transport

You know the kind?? by the sound of it the only thing you know is the bar stools in the bars and thats about all.

Not all tourists come to Thailand to go to massage parlor and spend their entire holiday in the bar. Do some research and develop some manners before you post again

Just my opinion but the average tourist will not give the political situation a second thought. He will be more concerned with his safty and in the case of Thailand will I be allowed to leave the country when I am scheduled to. The average tourist knows he can travel most any place in the world as long as he follows the guidlines laid down by each country in complete confidence that when his stay is up and he has not broken any laws he will be allowed to leave.

Thailand being the one notable exception to this.

Yes there is a lot of problems here but these are problems you can find in any country. [other than the shuting down of airports] For a tourist the point is can I enjoy the many good points and ignore the bad ones after all I am only there for a short time and it is much worse in many other countries.

:blink:

I've said it before on this forum...I'll probably be saying again soon, but Tourisim or an increase in Tourisim id not what Thailand needs. What Thailand needs is investment in industry that creates real jobs. Tourisim creates nore maids, waiters, bellboys, and so on, That's fine enough for a quick jump start to an economy...but 20 or 30 years later does Thailand really want an economy based on maids, waiters, and bellboys?

Tourisim is like giving a bottle of cheap wine to an alchoholic...it seems to solve the problem but in the long run all it does is make the problem worse.

Tourisim is a industry where most of the income goes to the owners and opearators. The employees are usually lower paid and not very skilled workers.

So the question really is: Does Thailand really want a service economy of maids and bellboys (not to mention the pimps and hookers that also go along with tourisim), or do they want a production economy based on manufacturing and higher level trained workers...the kind of jobs that generate the pay those workers can use to send their children to school to improve the general education level in Thailand.

Economic experts refer to tourisim as "the sweet honey trap" of tourisim...because you get stuck in it, and then you can't get out.

I've said it before on this forum...I'll probably be saying again soon, but Tourisim or an increase in Tourisim id not what Thailand needs. What Thailand needs is investment in industry that creates real jobs. Tourisim creates nore maids, waiters, bellboys, and so on, That's fine enough for a quick jump start to an economy...but 20 or 30 years later does Thailand really want an economy based on maids, waiters, and bellboys?

Tourisim is like giving a bottle of cheap wine to an alchoholic...it seems to solve the problem but in the long run all it does is make the problem worse.

Tourisim is a industry where most of the income goes to the owners and opearators. The employees are usually lower paid and not very skilled workers.

So the question really is: Does Thailand really want a service economy of maids and bellboys (not to mention the pimps and hookers that also go along with tourisim), or do they want a production economy based on manufacturing and higher level trained workers...the kind of jobs that generate the pay those workers can use to send their children to school to improve the general education level in Thailand.

Economic experts refer to tourisim as "the sweet honey trap" of tourisim...because you get stuck in it, and then you can't get out.

I agree with what you say apart from that Thailand does not have any industry. Rubber

rice and other food products are produced and traded in high figures. Ok I know these

are not the powerful rich industries such as Oil, Motor Vehicles or IT, but at least it is

something and along with the decent levels of Tourism does put Thailand in a

better position than many other countries World wide. Tourism is volitile but I would

say most industries are aswell.

The only thing I would really like for Thaialnd to change is there poor educational system

school and at home which leaves most peoplle leaving school knowing sweet fa and

having a bad attitude towards learning. I do believe if Thai's had a better understanding

of the World then they would feel more confident and happy around tourists. If they are

happier around tourists then tourists will be happier and want to come back again and again...........

.........maybe even to help with the family and couples tourists groups they have been

trying to attract for years but failing really.

Just my thoughts and they may well be complete <deleted> but I think if Thai's improved

there attitude in certain respects then Thailand could become the no1 holiday destination,

everything else is in place; tropical weather, lush beaches, many islands, atmospheric cities,

beautiful temples, interesting culture, awesome cuisine, good looking people and some other

points but I do not want to bore people although I think I may have allready.