Wireless Code Access Number

Gonzo the Face

Firstly I am not a computer whiz, once past switching it on. So in any response please make it simple

I am trying to generate a password to my wifi net for a guest.

I have tried the access number 192.168.1.1 and get a prompt that the site is blocked by ICT

Can any one help? Has something changed in the past short period

Gonzo

The internet is working otherwise you wouldn't see the MiCT message coming up. That message is hosted on an external webserver in cyberspace somewhere.

What is probably happening is that your default home page has been set to something which is blocked by the MiCT. You can test this by changing the URL address to something like google.

If that is the case then in the internet browser you use, find the settings tab, click something like options and then change the default homepage to something like google.

MiCT isn't your internet service provider, they control what can be viewed on computers in Thailand, generally they block anything that they see as derogatory to Thai people, the monarchy or poses a national security threat as in the political campaigns between the reds and yellows etc. One time, they blocked Youtube, (for around a month) because somebody had placed a pretty awful presentation which was rather insulting, they eventually arrested the person responsible and he is serving a custodial sentence under the lese majeste law and then youtube was once again allowed to broadcast in Thailand.

Hope that helps

try 192.168.0.1 instead .. maybe that is the correct one.

You can open the command prompt and type

ipconfig

then you will see the ip that your computer have and the gateway... the gateway usually have the ip that you have to use to admin your router

Martin

I would disagree with Martin about changing the ip, why? because it appears your internet connection is ok otherwise you wouldn't see the MiCT Banned page. The MiCT banned page is on an external server which requires an internet connection, using an ip address other than the gateway address will get you a page not found error page.

I would say it was the default homepage, change that, you can test it easily enough by just writing a new web address in the url and clicking enter, if it shows the web page then the default web page is something which has been banned by the MiCT.

Right-click -> Open In New Tab

http://192.168.1.1

http://192.168.1.254

http://192.168.0.1

http://192.168.0.254

Good old trial and error :)

Otherwise here a pictured tutorial for siamect's suggestion to find out the exact address instead of trying to guess it...

How to find IP address in windows xp

You require the entry for 'default gateway'.

Or if the command line just scares you crazy, here a point and click way of finding out

Windows XP, without using the command prompt

1. From the Start menu, right-click My Network Places, and then click Properties.

2. To view the IP address of a wired connection, double-click Local Area Connection.

To view the IP address of a wireless adapter, double-click Wireless Network Connection.

3. Click the Support tab, and then click Details... . The window that appears will display the IP address.

source: How do I determine my computer's IP address? - Knowledge Base

Though the ops post states he wants a wireless access number and that he is trying to generate a password for wifi he is receiving a MiCT message. The MiCT servers are not located within the internet service providers domains but are being forwarded to the MiCT webservers, I would bet with 100% certainty the only problem is that in the browser options, within the default home page setting is a url which is blocked by the MiCT.

If there were no internet connection whatsoever then he would normally receive a Internet Explorer Cannot display this page or The web page is not available, I previously stated that he would get a page not found error, that is incorrect, I wrote that from memory and don't make habit of memorising fault pages so sorry about that.

I would start with just typing in a new url and see if that works, why? Because you pointed out that you are receiving the MiCT Blocked page which like I said requires an internet connection through my experience.

If you didn't have the correct default gateway IP then for sure you would just get the web page is not available or Internet explorer cannot display this page error page.

Start with just testing changing to a different site in the URL locator box, if that doesn't work then it's something else and more information is needed before you proceed with changing ip addresses.

Hope that helps

Sometimes you get these websites that say " Would you like to set your default home page to www.??????????????.com" If you are to click yes, your default home page has been changed, if that homepage is something which has been blocked by the MiCT then you are going to get that message all the time.

By the way, if you own some kind of cafe or hotel and you have computers offered for customers you can get cards or even software which basically revert back to original settings every reboot, no files can be saved, no programs installed, no changes without the administrator password.

Forget what they're called, check out netcafe perhaps but I'm not sure that actually has the features I am talking about, a lot of internet cafes adopt the cards I talk about because it saves a whole heap of time on installs and fiddling around because a customer is click happy.

<snip>

Or if the command line just scares you crazy, here a point and click way of finding out

<snip>

I've only been using XP for about 9 years and didn't notice that. I usually use ipconfig in a 'DOS box'.

Old dog, new tricks. :)

Surely, the OP, at this stage, is merely trying to 'talk' to his router. He should be able to do this even without his ADSL line connected if there is an ethernet, or radio, connection between the router and the PC. After all, when initially setting up a router, the PC can 'see' the router via the internet browser even though the connection to the ISP isn't yet enabled.

I do not understand why the OP should be getting the error message. I wonder if it could be a 'virus generated' message, internal to his PC?

Suggestion: disconnect the ADSL line from the router and then try to 'talk' to the router by using the 192.168.1.1 address, or whatever the correct code is for the particular router. If the same message appears then this has to be a local problem associated with the PC.

DM

Surely, the OP, at this stage, is merely trying to 'talk' to his router. He should be able to do this even without his ADSL line connected if there is an ethernet, or radio, connection between the router and the PC. After all, when initially setting up a router, the PC can 'see' the router via the internet browser even though the connection to the ISP isn't yet enabled.

I do not understand why the OP should be getting the error message. I wonder if it could be a 'virus generated' message, internal to his PC?

Suggestion: disconnect the ADSL line from the router and then try to 'talk' to the router by using the 192.168.1.1 address, or whatever the correct code is for the particular router. If the same message appears then this has to be a local problem associated with the PC.

DM

Well you learn something new every day...... and ditto to whomever said 'old dogs , new tricks.

First I was very supprised to see so many helpful suggestions...... and being the old dog , and a comp-u-dum-a$$, naturally went to the simplest and easiest first. Thank you welo for the 4 links.... the 3rd worked magic...... but strangely, unless it was me making an input error, I had tried all 4 earlier...

but its worked and I got what I want and needed...... thanks to all of you....

now

secondly, where in the hel_l did such nice, polite, courteous and helpful people come from??

You , the gang of you, dont seem to belong to the Thai Visa that I am familiar with... :)

Thanks for all the help, all of you

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Wow, I am surprised, I assumed your connection was available since you mentioned the blocked screen, perhaps we were talking about 2 different blocked screens then and the blocked screen you got was an error page issued by the router itself?? I would have assumed you would have got the web page is not available screen since no path to your isp is available because they are 2 different ip address. Though both are kind of standard gateway ip address with 169.254.0.1 (I think) being the standardised ip for home network gateways.

Glad you got it working though

Solution is courtesy of siamect who posted first, I just made the answer 'more accessible' :)

Maybe I should be happy that the OPs problem is solved. However, I still wonder whether the others might not have been so wrong after all.

I wonder whether your browsers search page or 404 error page has been hijacked. Try typing a search term in your address bar, to be sure two words separated by a comma, e.g. 'whats going on', and hit enter. Usually Google or Bing should show up with a search result page.

What happens on your computer?

Which browser (version) do you use?

welo

Solution is courtesy of siamect who posted first, I just made the answer 'more accessible' :D

Maybe I should be happy that the OPs problem is solved. However, I still wonder whether the others might not have been so wrong after all.

I wonder whether your browsers search page or 404 error page has been hijacked. Try typing a search term in your address bar, to be sure two words separated by a comma, e.g. 'whats going on', and hit enter. Usually Google or Bing should show up with a search result page.

What happens on your computer?

Which browser (version) do you use?

welo

Thanks Welo :)

What happens is this:

Routers delivered with the kind of accounts that are sold as a package to private persons of small businesses, are usually setup to respond to http access on

192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 (other ranges are not uncommon, this is just an example)

They usually also have the DHCP service enabled for the same ip range.

This will give any computer that is setup for using DHCP an IP address in the range 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x if the mask is 255.255.255.0

So in case this router is setup so it give the computers an address 192.168.0.x

All messages with the destination inside this range will resolved to MAC address using the arp protocol and the message stays within the LAN.

All messages outside this range will be routed to the default gateway and routed out on the Internet.

This means that in this case the message with destination ip 192.168.1.1 will be routed out on the Internet (unless you block it) and depending on how the next router is handling this it will be either blocked (correct) and you will get a time-out or it will, incorrectly, be routed to the next routers/gateways.

This ip range 192.x.x.x is private and a message with this destination IP should not be here at all. Therefore the gateway will maybe, depending on how it is setup, route it to some "unwanted" place and this will result in the message described in the first post in this thread.

-------------

Another thing just to clarify... If you get an IP in the 169.254.x.x you probably have no functioning DHCP service in your router.

These ranges of IPs are used in those cases there is no DHCP server installed and you still want to use IP communication. It is called Automatic private addressing or something like that. If you get an IP in this range when you have a "Internet router" installed then something is wrong...

Martin

Edited by siamect

<snip>

Routers delivered with the kind of accounts that are sold as a package to private persons of small businesses, are usually setup to respond to http access on

192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 (other ranges are not uncommon, this is just an example)

<snip>

You learn something new every day! (again)

I always thought 192.168.1.1 was the only router IP address - probably because that address has always got me into the routers that I've used.

So trying to get to 192.168.1.1 when the router is set up to be at 192.168.0.1 could give strange results.

@Gonzo: re. helpful suggestions - This is one of the few forums at TV where trolls are given short shrift. I like it here. :)

@Welo: I agree - I think there's still something odd going on with Gonzo's setup. :huh:

Edit:

My router is at 192.168.1.1

I just tried to connect to 192.168.0.1 - got a "This connection has timed out" message (Firefox)

Edited by JetsetBkk

My router is at 192.168.1.1

I just tried to connect to 192.168.0.1 - got a "This connection has timed out" message (Firefox)

Yes, your ISP or possibly your router blocked the message the correct way...

Martin

Edited by siamect

With Regard to the OP, he typed the URL wrong. Don't ask me how, but when miss typing a numeric URL, you'll get the default error message from the providers transparent caches - in this case an incorrectly set up "warning message" on the side of the ISP. It's a common thing that happens on the equipment they are using right now.

@phazey, siamect

So you guys think that the router is actually routing 192.168.1.1 over to the WAN (since we now know that the LAN is actually set to the 192.168.0.x subnet)? Then somehow another router or transparent proxy or whatever shows the 'blocked by ICT' message?

Sounds possible to me.

However, I'd still consider the possibility that the OP's web browser search page has been hihacked.

@gonzo

May I ask you to do a view simple checks/answers - I'm curious what exactly caused the ICT message to be shown. This might increase our knowledge of Thailand's network setup and help explain some 'ISP mysteries', maybe allowing us to help another person in the future.

What web browser are you using? Internet Explorer?

Can you click these three 'links' resp. enter/copy them into your browser's address bar and explain what happens?

http://192.168.1.1

some question

Please do NOT add the http:// to the second and third link, and just enter the words in the third line separated by a space.

Thanks!

welo

@phazey, siamect

So you guys think that the router is actually routing 192.168.1.1 over to the WAN (since we now know that the LAN is actually set to the 192.168.0.x subnet)? Then somehow another router or transparent proxy or whatever shows the 'blocked by ICT' message?

Sounds possible to me.

No I am not suggesting that. What's happening is that the OP's machine thinks "192.168.1.1" is a fully qualified domain name, not a numeric address (i'm guessing it's either missing "http://" at the beginning, or has a double dot somewhere). The ISP's nameservers cannot resolve this when they try, so spam up the default error page - in this case the ICT error message.

Every ISP in Thailand's http traffic goes via an array of transparent web caches using WCCPv2 - Bluecoat 8100's in this case.

What's happening is that the OP's machine thinks "192.168.1.1" is a fully qualified domain name, not a numeric address (i'm guessing it's either missing "http://" at the beginning, or has a double dot somewhere). The ISP's nameservers cannot resolve this when they try, so spam up the default error page - in this case the ICT error message.

In that case you would get a DNS error... obviously you don't.... but if that was the case you are right, and that must mean that the browser act like no one else I have seen...

Edited by siamect