What Is The Most Needed Feature In Map ?

boxig

Hi to all,

I am working on a Thailand map program for a customer and would like to know what do you think are the most needed feature for a digital map.

All your suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi to all,

I am working on a Thailand map program for a customer and would like to know what do you think are the most needed feature for a digital map.

Thank you

Digital as in a "digital image" of a map (jpeg,bmp,gif etc....)

or

digital as in fully interactive,GIS modelling,multi-dimensional,GPS location integration,route/distance planning etc......

More info please.Cartography and GIS systems are a hobby of mine.

:o

Hi to all,

Thank you

Where to begin ?

ACCURATE road and street details are essential. I don't know how many maps I've looked at recently that only show some roads/streets and not others (well, it's been pretty much EVERY map I've looked at lately, especially for Pattaya).

Topographical information (elevations, depressions, hills/mountains, ect) It's nice to be able to get an idea of what an area is like, before finding yourself stuck in the middle of a swamp during rainy season !

Cities/villages - pretty obvious. Are you going to include imbedded links/pop-up boxes ?

Thanks guys, I'll give more details:

I use a BMP of 4400 x 8000 pixels, about 10 MB in size of Thailand. Since the map is big in dimensions, only part of it (about 600 x 400 pixels) will be displayed. I think to start with a list of names of about 1000 places across the country and by selecting a name, the map will center at the that place.

penelope,

I know nothing about GIS systems. Is there a way to use it ? I know about GPS and it can be interesting if I can use it. Can you give me some details how it works ? I guess a person can get his location using GSP and then enter it to the map program to see where he is on the map ? If I'm right that can be cool.

Kerryd,

What do you mean by "ACCURATE road and street details are essential" ? - The map I have does now show towns.

Topographical information - there are elevations, small lakes created by dams, rivers etc.

What do you mean by "imbedded links/pop-up boxes ?" - I thought of an option to show a text and picture of important places - any other suggestion ?

Thank you

boxig

Edited by boxig

Thanks guys, I'll give more details:

I use a BMP of 4400 x 8000 pixels, about 10 MB in size of Thailand. Since the map is big in dimensions, only part of it (about 600 x 400 pixels) will be displayed. I think to start with a list of names of about 1000 places across the country and by selecting a name, the map will center at the that place.

penelope,

I know nothing about GIS systems. Is there a way to use it ? I know about GPS and it can be interesting if I can use it. Can you give me some details how it works ? I guess a person can get his location using GSP and then enter it to the map program to see where he is on the map ? If I'm right that can be cool.

Kerryd,

What do you mean by "ACCURATE road and street details are essential" ? - The map I have does now show towns.

Topographical information - there are elevations, small lakes created by dams, rivers etc.

What do you mean by "imbedded links/pop-up boxes ?" - I thought of an option to show a text and picture of important places - any other suggestion ?

Thank you

boxig

GIS website

So it willl be something like this?

http://www.clickthai.de/Map/

Hehehehe, someone has already beaten someone else to the punch !

Too bad this map wasn't set up so when you clicked on a name or an icon, it would bring up a seperate page (i.e. when you click on Pattaya, it should bring up a city map. When you click on an icon of a temple, it should show the name of the temple, or a list of temples in that area, ect)

That's what I meant by having imbedded objects/links

With this map, when you click on anything, it just recenters the map.

Hi all members and thank you for your advices.

So it willl be something like this?

http://www.clickthai.de/Map/

Yes ! - I found "clickthai" to be a great map and it probably will be simillar.

Embedded objects/links - good idea and I think that can be done in future versions but on first version I want to start with general map and few places only.

penelope,

Those GPS pionts are they something like:

N 13.76 E100.52 Bangkok

If that's so, I will need to find all point in Thailand and I believe I can make the mape centered on the GPS points input.

You all being great help, please advise more.

Thank you

boxig