Desperate Thais

Gik

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not just Thai males. Went to Central yesterday and ordered food from a stall I have been going to for some time. After handing over my money I waited for my ten baht change and it was not given. Asked the old lady about it and she said that was enough. I figured a price increase then looked at the sign and the price was the same. Asked again about my change and the coworker of the lady (also lady) stated that the price was for broth only and to get a piece of chicken was ten baht more. I then demanded the manager and the ten baht was swiftly handed over. After my meal I gave the lady the ten baht back as it was not about the money so much as treating me as a fool. I think wages in Thailand have failed to adjust to the rise in prices and people are desperate.

When I first visited Pattaya in 1988 the baht busses (songteaws) were 10 baht. Twenty two years later they're still 10 baht.

Thai people are human, the good, the bad and the desperate. i talked to a Thai guy not too long ago, he was all like "hey pal" and i was like "oh, hey pal, s'up?". he was then all like, "not much". and i was all "ok krub".

:lol: This is like a language lesson isn't it...... where you don't learn anything. :lol:

beats me, i was so high when i posted that ;)

When I first visited Pattaya in 1988 the baht busses (songteaws) were 10 baht. Twenty two years later they're still 10 baht.

Until quite recently they were 5 baht. You've been tipping them 100% for 20 years. Good on you!

Until quite recently they were 5 baht. You've been tipping them 100% for 20 years. Good on you!

I live in Bangkok not Pattaya so the few times I gave a songteaw driver a whopping 5 baht extra would hardly make any difference to either me, the driver or the full time residents of Pattaya.

I live in Bangkok not Pattaya so the few times I gave a songteaw driver a whopping 5 baht extra would hardly make any difference to either me, the driver or the full time residents of Pattaya.

Somehow it must still be profitable as there are 400% too many empty baht buses circling around the 2nd Road-Beach Road strip adding badly to the traffic congestion.

It is not just Thai males. Went to Central yesterday and ordered food from a stall I have been going to for some time. After handing over my money I waited for my ten baht change and it was not given. Asked the old lady about it and she said that was enough. I figured a price increase then looked at the sign and the price was the same. Asked again about my change and the coworker of the lady (also lady) stated that the price was for broth only and to get a piece of chicken was ten baht more. I then demanded the manager and the ten baht was swiftly handed over. After my meal I gave the lady the ten baht back as it was not about the money so much as treating me as a fool. I think wages in Thailand have failed to adjust to the rise in prices and people are desperate.

Oh, just oh-so-typical Pattaya, way it's always been here in the Land Of Wiles. You've always had to be on your guard so's not to be scammed anywhere you go. Thais, too, not just farang.

Much more likely it is that desperate farangs, whose money after conversion is worth so much less than before, are now forced to take more notice of small scams.

And, feeling much less financially secure, they feel compelled to exaggerate more than ever. Hence apocalyptic end-of-Pattaya (even as it's doing pretty well and expanding) and end-of-the-world prophecies, intoned with the most solemn pomposity, are becoming rather common on the forum.

Pretty laughable when the real problem, for them, is merely the decline of the GBP etc.

It's not either/or, mate. Hard times all over. What's so funny about it?

I find it funny to blame Thais' "desperation" and issue silly apocalyptic prophecies of doom when the primary underlying reason for that viewpoint is not "Thai desperation" but the farangs' own gloom and discontentment over such factors as

1. their own money, cheapened by their own idiot governments;
  2. their dislike of Pattaya's growth and development, which helps the local and national economy;
  3. their dislike of the diverse tourist population that Pattaya is growing to serve;
  4. some low-end boites moving to or opening in other areas such as Soi Buakeow as beach property has grown in value, so that
  5. even if Pattaya has more tourists, they may appear be spread a bit more thinly, esp. in the low season.

Sorry I can't join you in your "hard times everywhere" whinge. In fact, many aren't having a hard time. OMG. Successful businesses are TOTALLY ignored, however. Last weekend, went into bar so packed there was standing room only. Place is making money hand over fist even in the low season. Last weekend, Beach Road mobbed for a festival; traffic at a standstill on Beach & Second Rds. A number of new beer bar complexes are either being built or refurbished.

When a new business opens, a chorus here predicts its failure IF it's noticed at all. Soi near me, a branch of the gov't bank just opened w/ fanfare. It was ignored here. Actually, it was a smart move by the bank and that branch will do well. Anyway, since when do bank branches around Pattaya close up? Lemme see, Lamthong on Beach Rd. near Soi Yamato. Moved and the whole business merged with some other bank--years and years ago.

For a lot of Thais, though, times have always been hard, this being a relatively poor country; of course, a large percentage create their own hardship. Managing money is not a strength of the lower classes especially. That with lax and corrupt law enforcement means that scams have always abounded, and Pattaya tourists have always been obvious targets. Nothing's new here at all.

I'll agree that business is a bit down for obvious reasons. I'm just putting it into perspective. Overall, Pattaya's doing well & will continue to do well.

Edited by JSixpack

It's not either/or, mate. Hard times all over. What's so funny about it?

I find it funny to blame Thais' "desperation" and issue silly apocalyptic prophecies of doom when the primary underlying reason for that viewpoint is not "Thai desperation" but the farangs' own gloom and discontentment over such factors as

2. their dislike of Pattaya's growth and development, which helps the local and national economy;
  3. their dislike of the diverse tourist population that Pattaya is growing to serve;
  4. some low-end boites moving to or opening in other areas such as Soi Buakeow as beach property has grown in value, so that
  5. even if Pattaya has more tourists, they may appear be spread a bit more thinly, esp. in the low season.

Sorry I can't join you in your "hard times everywhere" whinge. In fact, many aren't having a hard time. OMG. Successful businesses are TOTALLY ignored, however. Last weekend, went into bar so packed there was standing room only. Place is making money hand over fist even in the low season. Last weekend, Beach Road mobbed for a festival; traffic at a standstill on Beach & Second Rds. A number of new beer bar complexes are either being built or refurbished.

When a new business opens, a chorus here predicts its failure IF it's noticed at all. Soi near me, a branch of the gov't bank just opened w/ fanfare. It was ignored here. Actually, it was a smart move by the bank and that branch will do well. Anyway, since when do bank branches around Pattaya close up? Lemme see, Lamthong on Beach Rd. near Soi Yamato. Moved and the whole business merged with some other bank--years and years ago.

For a lot of Thais, though, times have always been hard, this being a relatively poor country; of course, a large percentage create their own hardship. Managing money is not a strength of the lower classes especially. That with lax and corrupt law enforcement means that scams have always abounded, and Pattaya tourists have always been obvious targets. Nothing's new here at all.

I'll agree that business is a bit down for obvious reasons. I'm just putting it into perspective. Overall, Pattaya's doing well & will continue to do well.

If you haven't seen any desperate Thais, it must be because you haven't been looking very hard. Most bars are full of them, as the bar you mention is an exception, not the rule Then there are all the people that used to make money from bar customers, though not working directly in the bars- how much do you think the flower sellers are making at present?

I was at the Beach Rd "festival". Lots of stalls selling clothes exactly like most of the shops in "tourist" Pattaya. Not much money changing hands except for food, as usual.

Diverse tourist population- a few Indians and Arabs, plus Russians sometimes, not many now. Some Chinese are back, as I reported before, but not in past numbers. Most Pattaya tourists continue to be from the usual countries.

New bars being built- yes, there have always been too many bars in Pattaya, and yet they still keep on building more! Doesn't matter how many bars there are if there aren't any more customers than before. And that's the point. There has been a real decrease in western tourist numbers, spending less, so there must be an increase in "desperate Thais".

And yes, I don't like the new developments. Pattaya was fine, but they had to go and try and make it Monaco or some such stupid thing, Not because they thought it was the "right" thing to do- just to make money. They've ruined all the best beaches, now they want to ruin Pattaya too.

As an aside, the Avenues Cinema have cheap Wednesday prices of 60 baht verus 80 at Central, which makes a real difference when paying for 2.

Yeah, you save $1.25 lol.

That quite ironic considering the title of this thread is "desperate Thais".

Well it was an aside to inform.

As I'm no longer working, and don't get a pension, every cent is valuable, and I bet there's more than a few in the same boat that like the movies.

One post deleted, Name calling is flaming and as such is not tolerated please read the rules

4) Not to flame fellow members.

Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

Try getting off the beaten path if you want to see normal Thai people. Pattaya is the armpit of the universe, Thai people are there only to make money, anyway possible. I was very disillusioned with the place on my last visit.

And whatever you do, don't rent a jet-ski under any circumstances! These jet-ski operators are the scum of the earth and it is unbelievable that they are still allowed. Pass it along......

Absolutely agree, Pattaya is in Thailand but not at all representative.

First thing I advise newbie friends is to come here for a few days to empty their sacks, then bugger off with or without lady to see Thailand.

Pattaya is the armpit of the universe.

I read a quote somewhere else on here that said Pattaya was where the worst of the east meet the worst of the west.

Brilliant and true statement. :jap:

the get out of here and dont come back, why are you here ?

how do you spot a russian couple ? any obvious traits ?

Easy, he is either goofy, ugly or old and she is a supermodel. :lol:

Seriously, some of these guys are walking around with absolute stunning women. Kudos to those guys. Why they are coming to Pattaya is beyond me.

I have spent allot of time in Pattaya. Either the Russians leave when I show up or these so called "stunning women" dont stand out so much when there is young beautiful Thai girls everywhere.

I read a quote somewhere else on here that said Pattaya was where the worst of the east meet the worst of the west.

I saw a you tube video of SongKran filmed on Soi 7 where somebody wrote " Ah.. Soi 7 Pattaya where the lowest class Thai meets the lowest class Westerner"

Another guy who is mocking Pattaya in the Pattaya thread. Get out of here

Try getting off the beaten path if you want to see normal Thai people. Pattaya is the armpit of the universe, Thai people are there only to make money, anyway possible. I was very disillusioned with the place on my last visit.

And whatever you do, don't rent a jet-ski under any circumstances! These jet-ski operators are the scum of the earth and it is unbelievable that they are still allowed. Pass it along......

Absolutely agree, Pattaya is in Thailand but not at all representative.

First thing I advise newbie friends is to come here for a few days to empty their sacks, then bugger off with or without lady to see Thailand.

This is correct, in the same way Blackpool in England or Vegas in the US are not the same as the rest of the country. However, all three are tourist destinations which is one of the big reasons people from overseas come to a different country. It does sort of make me laugh when every tourist to Thailand is purported to be a culture vulture or an expert in Asian architecture or the Buddhist religion. They are not. Pattaya City is what it is, a fun place for tourists, and tourists are what the " Desperate Thai's " want, as tourists in the sense which they should be classified i.e. people out for a good time, spend money.

Its all we can expect in a city of prostitutes/pimps and their offspring serving in a lot of cases all the scum/ criminals that descend on the place,for the decent amongst us im afraid we have to put up with all the sh!t that goes with it or move on,.:)

There has been a real decrease in western tourist numbers, spending less, so there must be an increase in "desperate Thais".

Love that "logic." Every year, you see, there's a low season in which income at many venues decreases. During that time, the poorer Thais either go back to their villages or remain employed in Pattaya and complain that they're no longer getting much extra for their "skills," said "extra" being far more than they'd get in non-tourist areas. The same is true this year. There are no signs of any unusual "desperation" among Thais. The fact that somebody got scammed for ten baht, etc., is no evidence of anything--but the subsequent silly exaggeration that all Thais are now "desperate" (we may visualize that hordes of "desperate Thais" are soon to rise up with machetes and kill and rob all the farangs--it's PANIC TIME, boys!), suggests that it's actually the farangs themselves, not the Thais, who are "desperate." As I said, scams are the norm in Pattaya, always have been--perhaps more so in the best of times because even more poorer Thais arrive, attracted by tales of riches to be made.

And yes, I don't like the new developments. Pattaya was fine, but they had to go and try and make it Monaco or some such stupid thing, Not because they thought it was the "right" thing to do- just to make money. They've ruined all the best beaches, now they want to ruin Pattaya too.

The latter statement, and this later one,

As I'm no longer working, and don't get a pension, every cent is valuable, and I bet there's more than a few in the same boat that like the movies.

put you squarely into the "desperate farang" categories 1, 2, and 3 I mentioned above:

So it's clear that you're merely projecting your own gloom-and-doom onto the Thais. As such an obviously biased witness, ethically (if such a word isn't so shocking as to be censored on this forum), you should recuse yourself from further discussion on the topic.

Edited by JSixpack

In 1996 I moved to Thailand and lived in Pattaya from june 96 to May 99. In those days it was still a good place to live and have fun.

In 1999 I decided to expand my horizons and move to other parts of Thailand, away from tourism and its touts offering services.

IN 2007 a friend came down to visit me and I took him to Pattaya, hadn't been since there moving away in 1999. WOw, the place changed a lot and not in its favour.

My impressions in 2007 compared to the second half of the 90's era were; staff in most industries seemed more aggressive and less polite. Different attitude and vibe going around.

It just has this busy, crowded, mental vibe about it now. In the 90's it was busy but one still had this laid back, easygoing feeling.

With the economical and political issues after 2007 I can only imagine how it must be now.

Always liked the place, had a wonderful time living there for 3 years, enjoyed my last visit in 2007 but did realize that I wouldn't want to live there anymore. Started to learn a lot more about Thailand's people, history, culture and language then ever before. I doubt if I had stayed in Pattaya that I would have reached this level of "integration".

THais desperate? Some very much so probably! Some completely the opposite who couldn't care less about Pattaya, Thais working there or farang holidaying there.

Its all we can expect in a city of prostitutes/pimps and their offspring serving in a lot of cases all the scum/ criminals that descend on the place,for the decent amongst us im afraid we have to put up with all the sh!t that goes with it or move on,.:)

Quite right. The quicker the better................................

yeah, I am sure that is what all the shopping centres,golf courses and the water park is here for, to serve scum/criminals.

What is it about "tourist destination" that you don't understand ?

In 1996 I moved to Thailand and lived in Pattaya from june 96 to May 99. In those days it was still a good place to live and have fun.

In 1999 I decided to expand my horizons and move to other parts of Thailand, away from tourism and its touts offering services.

IN 2007 a friend came down to visit me and I took him to Pattaya, hadn't been since there moving away in 1999. WOw, the place changed a lot and not in its favour.

My impressions in 2007 compared to the second half of the 90's era were; staff in most industries seemed more aggressive and less polite. Different attitude and vibe going around.

It just has this busy, crowded, mental vibe about it now. In the 90's it was busy but one still had this laid back, easygoing feeling.

With the economical and political issues after 2007 I can only imagine how it must be now.

Always liked the place, had a wonderful time living there for 3 years, enjoyed my last visit in 2007 but did realize that I wouldn't want to live there anymore. Started to learn a lot more about Thailand's people, history, culture and language then ever before. I doubt if I had stayed in Pattaya that I would have reached this level of "integration".

THais desperate? Some very much so probably! Some completely the opposite who couldn't care less about Pattaya, Thais working there or farang holidaying there.

here is a video of Pattaya in 1985.

It looks and sounds like not much has changed. Its just an expanded version of the same thing.

All the developers of the concrete coffins should practice regulated capitalism. They should pay a tax that goes directly into a social welfare fund for Thais. They should also establish food banks, and subsidize medical care for the Thais. For every Baht earned by the "visionaries" .05 Baht gets invested into the host Thai community. This formula prevents social uprisings by preventing the less fortunate from falling through the cracks. In addition,this improves the image of the Farang.

Nonsense. Do you really think any tax paid by farangs would end up benefitting the poor in Thailand? A much better option is to build more and more concrete coffins so that the poor from Issan can get jobs. It's the jobs created by farang investment and tourist spending that really benefits the Thais. Unfortunately, some of them don't realise it and have a very bad attitude toward farangs, despite making their whole good living from them.

I saw a you tube video of SongKran filmed on Soi 7 where somebody wrote " Ah.. Soi 7 Pattaya where the lowest class Thai meets the lowest class Westerner"

Another guy who is mocking Pattaya in the Pattaya thread. Get out of here

Where was I mocking it? I only posted the comment that I I saw on youtube. I loved the place since the early nineties as a young marine and spent every leave I had here until I moved here permanently 9 years ago to work for a company in Bangkok. I still choose to live here because it is so much fun and has everything you need - desperate people or not. I probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't like this even though I have calmed down a hel_l of a lot !!