I Am German. And I Want To Be A Tour Guide!

hi guys ...

i already found out that the job "tour guide" is one of the forbidden jobs for foreigners.

i am german ... is there a way how to guide german people around bangkok?

maybe i just need to describe my job not as "tour guide", but as something different ... or whatever ...

i am sure you guys have information about it!

maybe you talked about it already ... but i didn't find anything.

your information and replies are much appreciated!

It doesn't matter you call yourself a tour guide or whatever, without a valid work permit it will be illegal to work anything.

Without a valid work permit you run in deep trouble if they catch you. You may contact a company which offer such tours already and maybe they hire you with all the required documents. Somehow it will be possible to be a tour guide, but maybe under a different name of the job. However I wouldn't do anything without a work permit especially in such a job where you have to make a lot of advertising in order to get customers.

Not only potential customers reading the internet, but also authorities or registered tour guide companies. If they find out that you work without the required papers and permissions, they make one call to the police and you will be looked behind bars for working without work permit and maybe for working in a prohibited job for foreigners in general.

Just my thoughts on your plans...

Difficult, but certainly not impossible.

Several years back I worked for company (foreign owned) doing alternative travel in Thailand and other parts of Asia and we always had several foreign guides helping out as well. Besides that, I know of one other travel company on BKK who does the same; so for sure there are options.

My advice would be to find a German owned operator in Thailand and hook up with them. Book a tour with them and try to get to know the people who matter...

Even the Korean tours were getting 'flak' by the Thai tourist bureau for using their own guides to lead tours in Thailand. The reason being is Thailand tourist association still lacks the foreign language skills necessary for many groups from other countries. Its considered a 'protective' business.

I would hope for the Thai's to think out of the 'box' and support foreign people with proper 'business visa' to help turn around the tour/travel industry of Thailand after the

recent downturn in tourism.

i did not ask "how to do illegal work without being caught?" ... i asked how to do this legally. that means how to get work permit for that work.

i cannot get work permit as "tour guide" ...

that's why i asked if there are other job descriptions or other ways how to get work permit for a position that allows me to show germans around!

i did not ask "how to do illegal work without being caught?" ... i asked how to do this legally. that means how to get work permit for that work.

i cannot get work permit as "tour guide" ...

that's why i asked if there are other job descriptions or other ways how to get work permit for a position that allows me to show germans around!

This is not a problem!

I am employed here as an engineer (which is one of the professions that foreigners cannot do).

My job description is "building services consultant" and that makes it OK with the labor department.

All your employer needs to do is slightly alter your job title and description.

I doupt very much an expat would find a job as a travel guide here in Thailand.

Why pay an expat salary when you can pay a fraction to an English/German speaking local?

Edited by Livinginexile

i see ... user pauln mentioned the same ... he said i have to describe my profession as "Tour Group Leader" or something.

but hmmm ... i can remember that tour guides need a special license issued by the tourism authority ... is that true?

if so, do i also need such a license as a "Tour Group Leader" ??

i tried many times to find out how to guide german people around the city ... but it is very difficult to find answers ...

i mean how to do it legally.

To work you need a work permit, to get a work permit you must be employed by a Thai based company. In short, the problem of the work permit and how to get around it is your employers problem. The job description is the important part for getting a WP in this case.

Let your employer deal with it, unless you want to start your own Thai company, which will add a few problems.

Although you may be able to get a work permit (by some roundabout route), I think you will still have problems.

A quick story - about 3 years ago I travelled to Banhee Island (Phang Nga Bay) with a couple of Thai Tourist Police officers. During our wandering around the island, we chanced upon an 'English' tour guide with his party. The police officers examined his work permit but advised that there was absolutely no way that a foreigner would be authorised to accompany tourists outside of the tour office in the guide of a tour guide, tour leader or whatever. It is a forbidden profession and (rather like being a tuk-tuk driver), fiercely protected by Thais.

I suspect that you would meet physical harm if you tried to act in the capacity of a tour guide, work permit or not

Simon

Although you may be able to get a work permit (by some roundabout route), I think you will still have problems.

A quick story - about 3 years ago I travelled to Banhee Island (Phang Nga Bay) with a couple of Thai Tourist Police officers. During our wandering around the island, we chanced upon an 'English' tour guide with his party. The police officers examined his work permit but advised that there was absolutely no way that a foreigner would be authorised to accompany tourists outside of the tour office in the guide of a tour guide, tour leader or whatever. It is a forbidden profession and (rather like being a tuk-tuk driver), fiercely protected by Thais.

I suspect that you would meet physical harm if you tried to act in the capacity of a tour guide, work permit or not

Simon

There must be ways around it...

Look at Kuoni and Saga Holidays.. the latter definitely have "tour guides".

RAZZ

The only 'tour' guides that I have seen who were operating without hassles are those employed by the likes of Kuoni to meet and greet arriving/departing foreign tourists at Phuket Airport. But that is not being a tour guide, is it?

Simon

Being a tour guide to Germans in Thailand wouldn't work due to visa/work permit issues, and the as yet over looked fact that tourists quite enjoy coming to Thailand and having a super-cute Thai lady, fluent in Thai-glish, showing them around HER country in her uniquely Thai way/mannar/style. Rather unhelpfully I can only think of how much money the OP would make if he chose to be a tour guide in Germany to either English-speakers (as he's clearly fluent) or Germans. Now that's a place to make some real money.

The only 'tour' guides that I have seen who were operating without hassles are those employed by the likes of Kuoni to meet and greet arriving/departing foreign tourists at Phuket Airport. But that is not being a tour guide, is it?

Simon

Maybe but Saga cater for old biddies and definitely act like guides ;)

RAZZ