Does A Thai Need A Transit Visa For India?

Hi there,

Just wanted to check something with you guys before I book any tickets and find problems awaiting us in India!

It seems the cheapest tickets to London are with Jet or Kingfisher at the moment. Both of these have a stopover of an hour or so in Mumbai. Can anyone tell me if my Thai partner needs a transit visa for this?

We have flown via Qatar and Abu Dhabi in the past and not needed visa for these countries, wanted to check if it was the same for India?

Thanks very much for any help!

p.s. we will not be leaving the airport

Usually one does not need a transit visa if merely changing planes and remaining airside; it is only if leaving the airport and so actually passing through immigration and entering the country, e.g. for an overnight stopover in a hotel, that a transit, or other, visa may be required.

If not sure, check with the IATA database linked to above, or with your airline.

Usually one does not need a transit visa if merely changing planes and remaining airside; it is only if leaving the airport and so actually passing through immigration and entering the country, e.g. for an overnight stopover in a hotel, that a transit, or other, visa may be required.

If not sure, check with the IATA database linked to above, or with your airline.

Not entirely correct. If in transit through a US airport you must pass through immigration control. A Thai would need a C-1 transit visa if in direct transit to, say, Lima or Bermuda even though he doesn't need a visa for his final destination.

I did say "usually" and you say that such passengers would pass through US immigration.

Trust the Septics to make life difficult!

You did.

Septic? Usually, if I weren't certain you were a cockney and assumed I was a Yank, I might take offence :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

I travelled via India with my Thai GF in July - no visa required.

In India she was questioned quite thoroughly regarding her visit, this was just before boarding.

We were travelling together so I was able to help her.It seems the Indian security checks are very stringent.