Changing Maintenace Fees In A Condo

The Condominium Act refers to a 50% vote to "An alteration on or a change in the ratio of the common expenses in the Bylaws defined under Section 32 "

But I see no reference to a actual change in the fee.

Is this determined by a Committee Vote -or have I missed something

The amount of the service money will be agreed to by a vote of the committee. Raising the fees just because someone thinks it's a good idea doesn't work so well. Accounting records and details need to be presented to the condo owners at a general meeting and an explanation of why the proposed increase is needed.

The amount of the service money will be agreed to by a vote of the committee. Raising the fees just because someone thinks it's a good idea doesn't work so well. Accounting records and details need to be presented to the condo owners at a general meeting and an explanation of why the proposed increase is needed.

Thank you for this response

I can see that a increase in fees has to be "sold".

However,in your experience, is a 50% vote required?

I don't know the specifics of this . The condo law spells out the required votes to pass a change to the homeowners rules and regulations. If you are an owner then you have a right to know what is going on. If you are a resident owner you have the right to attend the committee meetings and if necessary they are required to call a general meeting of all owners for a vote.

aah.. the vague vote question. I can only contribute as such:

50% required first vote, if it doesn't meet the requirements (lack of persons attending),

a second vote of 30% is sufficent.

As such, if a condo is controlled by a "group", then all they need to do is wait out until the second 30% vote to win. The second vote must be done within a specified time period (i forgot how long).

Either case, when-ever votes are required, it must be clearly informed to co-owners 1 week prior to voting.