Human Reproduction

jfk

hello, i have to teach this to prathom5 kids (mixed)

i remember my old teacher doing this and we made it a nightmare class for him.

any tips on how best to approach/teach this subject.

any tips would be very much appreciated.

many thanks in advance.

Last year I opened the 5th grade science book the to page with the sketches of the human genitals and said, "You can point & giggle for the next 30 seconds. This is what we are going to study for the next two weeks.".

And that is what I meant. A professional approach by an adult teacher.

Thanks for sharing, otherstuff1957. :jap:

• 2 weeks later...

I would say honestly, candidly, and with a view towards giving the students functional knowledge and eliminating myths. An awareness of the rights and responsibilities that come with sexual adulthood, as well as a sobering but not scaremongering review of the problems resulting from pregnancy, STDs, etc., would be in order, with a recommendation that they should also be discussing these ideas and work on developing their values with trusted family members. This is one area of education in which the school should definitely NOT be the only place where the students are getting value-based instruction.

An awareness of the rights and responsibilities that come with sexual adulthood, as well as a sobering but not scaremongering review of the problems resulting from pregnancy, STDs, etc., would be in order, with a recommendation that they should also be discussing these ideas and work on developing their values with trusted family members.

This is not what Human Reproduction for Grade 5 is or should be about.

In Grade 5 the students learn about the scientific aspects of reproduction in plants, animals and human beings.

Sexual intercourse, pregnancy, STDs and birth control is taught in Grade 8.

A younger Neanderthal to an older Neanderthal (or Cromagnon...take your pick): "What are they doing?"

Older person: "Nothing. Go away & stop looking. This is not good for you."

Young person: "But..."

Older person: "Get lost! You're too young to know."

It's strange that sex is still, in some way, censored by many. Yet, it is the essence of our arrival here on earth. How can this, in any way, shape or form, be bad?

I guess I'm lucky. Nothing was censored from me or my sisters. All things were explained rationally, even if we didn't fully understand the meaning at the time of explanation.

As far as I'm concerned, sex education needs to begin as soon as somebody takes an interest in it. This can begin from an early age (for me, about 8 years of age).

Putting age limits on things like this is like trying to control the weather, which simply can't be done.

Your comments are very correct, but putting it in a curriculum requires that it be palatable to the prevailing cultural attitudes. In Thailand, those are a little restrictive--as they are in most countries.

Why did you do that?

Because they were kids? Were you never in a class that caused a teacher trouble as a child?

Approach this as an adult teacher of science. Enough said.

A bit of a pointless response no? That's like responding to someone who asks the best way to teach addition with 'As a teacher would teach addition'. Well yeah obviously, but if the OP knew how already they wouldn't be asking for help.

We all have things we struggle to teach, for varied reasons, and I can certainly see how approaching this topic could be difficult, depending on your class. If it were my first time teaching it I would also do the professional thing of looking for help.

Personally, the above method of 'you've 30 seconds to laugh tends to work well. Gives them a chance to get the childish giddiness out. Also, I have tended to ease into the subject, introducing terminology you will be dealing with, which they may find amusing(although this was with native english speakers) and letting them get over that before actually dealing with the subject matter.

It will all depend on the particular group of students.

Best of Luck.

Edited by micls

Your comments are very correct, but putting it in a curriculum requires that it be palatable to the prevailing cultural attitudes. In Thailand, those are a little restrictive--as they are in most countries.

Yep, which unfortunately can lead to kids actually having sex before getting any proper sex education.

An awareness of the rights and responsibilities that come with sexual adulthood, as well as a sobering but not scaremongering review of the problems resulting from pregnancy, STDs, etc., would be in order, with a recommendation that they should also be discussing these ideas and work on developing their values with trusted family members.

This is not what Human Reproduction for Grade 5 is or should be about.

In Grade 5 the students learn about the scientific aspects of reproduction in plants, animals and human beings.

Sexual intercourse, pregnancy, STDs and birth control is taught in Grade 8.

They need to be taught sooner. At one government school I know, the teachers are having to counsel young (12yo) girls who are becoming pregnant. It may not be that all the students are active, but they all need to be prepared BEFORE becoming active. I agree that ingrained cultural attitudes may make this difficult, but the costs are already showing.

They need to be taught sooner. At one government school I know, the teachers are having to counsel young (12yo) girls who are becoming pregnant. It may not be that all the students are active, but they all need to be prepared BEFORE becoming active. I agree that ingrained cultural attitudes may make this difficult, but the costs are already showing.

I agree but unfortunately we have to wait until the bright lights of the Office of the Basic Education Committee agree to that. :closedeyes: