Banking - Credit Card Slips..?

Hi..

Does Thailand have the same rule for Credit card Charge Slip information as the USA..?

In the USA the merchant is not allowed to print the full credit card number or expiry date on the customer copy of the charge slip, for security purposes.

I ask, because I got my copy of a charge slip from Boots Silom the other day that has my name, full c/card number and expiry date on it. (NOT very secure if that floats around...)

Cheers

ChrisP

Hi - I cant answer your question but I would say that secure storage and a cross cut shredder and good investments.

If you have a credit card from the west then chances are that if there is any fraudulent activity then you are covered - but it may have the potential to mess up your credit rating temporarily.

I think with Thai credit cards, if there is any fradulent activity, either your responsible or they do a charge back to the retailer.

The good thing I have notied in Thailand is that they do tend to check the signature - not much good though if someone has produced a copy of your card from a lost customer receipt - but there may be a camera in the shop. When I was in Italy, 95% of the time this is not done and CHIP and PIN not used, so it is a fraud hot spot - and I think they do put the complete details on the customer slip.

FWIW, I did notice that when I bought duty free on arrival at BKK using a credit card there was a separate slip, in addition to the credit card receipt, on which the clerk had written or typed details like name, passport number and the full credit card number. They kept the original and gave me a copy. I assume it was some sort of government/tax/VAT/customs form? Personally I try to avoid using my credit card here in Thailand. A few months ago a friend had his card copied and they rang up ~ b40,000 in just a few days. He was not responsible but he is still trying to sort out the problems.