Thai Farmers Left Praying For Rain Year After Year

webfact

EDITORIAL

Thai farmers left praying for rain year after year

By The Nation

Each year Thailand faces the same drought; isn't it about time we made plans for efficient, sustainable water supply?

Around this time every year, Thailand experiences drought, which affects millions of people, especially farmers, whose livelihoods depend on rainfall. We should have learned how to deal with this by now. It's time for the government and relevant agencies to come up with ways to mitigate the effects of water shortages. We need a long-term solution.

The recent proposal by the Agriculture Ministry to give affected farmers cash handouts may ease the pain for a while, but such measures offer only an immediate, temporary solution. Combating drought requires a sustainable solution. Natural disasters always recur, and water deficiencies will continue to affect our lives.

It is estimated that drought this year will affect more than 1.7 million households in 50 provinces. More than 6 million Thais are affected by the extreme dry season. Drought not only depletes water reserves, but also causes damage to fields and plantations. The lack of rainfall also affects those not directly involved in agriculture, as some waterways are used for transportation of goods and passengers.

Agriculture is of course the most affected sector, as it consumes more than two-thirds of the country's water supply. Being the world's largest rice exporter, the country's water crisis could have a severe impact on rice output as farmers are forced to reduce their rice harvesting cycles.

The Agriculture Ministry earlier urged farmers to plan for fewer crop cycles this year, but some farmers have been reluctant to do so, as any reduction in output will affect their earnings.

Another problem is that the decrease in the amount of water that flows into dams can be attributed to a high level of water consumption upstream.

The issue must be addressed from both supply and demand sides. Effective irrigation systems should be developed to ensure a sustainable supply of water. The pipe and storage infrastructure should be constantly checked and improved to prevent unnecessary waste of water through leakage or corrosion.

Everybody must consider the effect they are having on water supplies. We must conserve as much as possible instead of simply waiting for the force of nature to start working. We may not always be able to rely on big monsoon storms, as the effects of climate change are unpredictable.

We have to utilise water resources effectively and efficiently. Quality water management is urgently needed. Consumers should be more responsible in their consumption habits. Farmers are in need of education on how to manage water supplies instead of looking for new places to farm, leading to more deforestation and further reduction of green areas that are required to maintain a conducive environment for the retention of natural water.

Unfortunately, the government does not have an effective water management plan to deal with this annual issue. The proposal for cash handouts is an example of how the ministry desperately tries to respond to the crisis each year in an ad hoc manner.

Lower levels of water will eventually mean fewer people engaged in farming. If that is the case, the challenging question will be how to find alternative sources of income for farmers who are forced to reduce their output or abandon the land altogether.

The amount of rainfall is not only the decisive factor in water management. Israel, for example, sees much less rainfall than Thailand, but the country manages to maintain its good agricultural output and water supply, thanks to effective water consumption and management.

We can no longer desperately wait for the monsoon. It's imperative to take pre-emptive steps. Precautionary measures must be in place. New sources of water supply should be explored. Sustainable and long-term water management plans should be formulated.

A lack of resources and, ultimately, competition for those scarce resources will bring conflict and instability - especially if the majority of farmers feel that their urgent needs are not being properly addressed.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-24

A few weeks back I was up north and it hadnt rained for over 3 months. Not one drop where I was. Then one afternoon the kamnan made an announcemnt that they would be toruing the local places with a cat and people should pour water onto it to induce a deluge from the heavens. I had to go back the next day and so am not sure what effect this actually had on the weather.

A few weeks back I was up north and it hadnt rained for over 3 months. Not one drop where I was. Then one afternoon the kamnan made an announcemnt that they would be toruing the local places with a cat and people should pour water onto it to induce a deluge from the heavens. I had to go back the next day and so am not sure what effect this actually had on the weather.

You didn't think it was worth checking? This could be exactly what the government are looking for!!

:D

The heck with the effect on the weather, what did the cat do after water being poured on it. :lol:

You didn't think it was worth checking? This could be exactly what the government are looking for!!

:D

May be they used a cat to in the belief that it will in some way prevent a Catastrophe. :)

1. "Another problem is that the decrease in the amount of water that flows into dams can be attributed to a high level of water consumption upstream."

More and more farmers dam even the smallest perennial creeks in the forests, even in the national parks, and divert the water via plastic pipes to their fields.

2. "Farmers are in need of education on how to manage water supplies instead of looking for new places to farm, leading to more deforestation and further reduction of green areas that are required to maintain a conducive environment for the retention of natural water."

Forest fires and soil erosion are the cause that the perennial creeks in the forests are drying up and that the underground water reserves are not replenished.

Water conservation starts with prevention of the annual forest fires in the North. The people of Thailand are cutting their own throats if they keep on burning their forests during the dry season.

Most farmers when having a early morning set down with friends , first discuss rain fall. "darn it is dry when do you reckon the rain will come"? "darn, it wet, when do think the rain will stop"? Then the heat/cold will be a topic for a few minutes, then the price of seed, fuel, fertilizer, etc. Then it can progress to machinery , repair, livestock, replacement costs vs selling price. The normal comments will refer to lack of government help/support, people not appreciating what the farmer does for them (keeps them from starving. The non farmer after listening to this tirade might ask, why not sell out and get a real job or retire? Farmer replies. whats wrong with you, I wouldn't do anything else, besides that next year is supposed to be better.

A major problem is those people burning the forests off, using land up and moving on, diverting and polluting water sources are not the ones who feed the rest of the country. Its those downstream farmers who suffer from the action/inaction of and against those upstream.

I can't help but think that could be a part of the village's justice system. Someone who has wronged the community gets the job of holding onto a cat all day while people douse it with water.

The root cause of all water shortages is not the lack of water, but rather an ever increasing population placing ever increasing demands on a limited amount of freshwater. The human population has doubled since 1974. In Thailand, the population has risen from approx 35 million to 65 million between 1970 - 2010.(UNEP) The amount of freshwater in circulation globally however has remaind the same, about 3% of total water volume including the frozen stuff at the north and south pole. Combined with human population growth, globally peoples diets have become more 'meat rich' and consider that 1kg of beef requires 100'000 liters of water (directly for the animal and also to grow crops for the animal to eat) compared to 1'900 per kg of rice or 500 liters per kg for potatoes, (Botkin and Keller 2006) Is it any wonder we are running out of water!

The root cause of all water shortages is not the lack of water, but rather an ever increasing population placing ever increasing demands on a limited amount of freshwater. The human population has doubled since 1974. In Thailand, the population has risen from approx 35 million to 65 million between 1970 - 2010.(UNEP) The amount of freshwater in circulation globally however has remaind the same, about 3% of total water volume including the frozen stuff at the north and south pole. Combined with human population growth, globally peoples diets have become more 'meat rich' and consider that 1kg of beef requires 100'000 liters of water (directly for the animal and also to grow crops for the animal to eat) compared to 1'900 per kg of rice or 500 liters per kg for potatoes, (Botkin and Keller 2006) Is it any wonder we are running out of water!

True indeed, and they are quite wasteful with the water that does drop. There are conservation solutions, but I guess they don't wanna make an effort for change, and instead blame mother nature. They'll have to be more resourceful and innovative in the future if they wanna continue on.

Was up in Pai and Mae Hong Son 2 weeks ago. Very dry there. But first things first... EDUCATION. In my Moo baan I see everybody clean there porch, or place in front of their house, and the street in front of their house, twice a day, with water. Simply too lazy to remove the dust and old leaves with a broom it seems. So lets say they easily use 50 liters of water a day (morning and evening together). Calculate that for say 25% of Chiang Mai's houses...per year. And there goes your water for agriculture. Yes planning and development of waterusage, irrigation, etc has to be done for the future, yes they are late. But a quick result could be gained from educating the people. I think many people simply don't realize how much they waste.

Most villagers do not waste any water. In my village all rainwater is collected off the roofs through guttering and stored in giant pots for use all the year round. Only occasionally during the dry season is the tap turned on but used sparingly as it costs money. A semi reliable water supply only arrived about 5 years ago and up till then they survived on what nature gave them. It is rich people that don't understand the value of water and are responsible for most of the waste.

Most villagers do not waste any water. In my village all rainwater is collected off the roofs through guttering and stored in giant pots for use all the year round. Only occasionally during the dry season is the tap turned on but used sparingly as it costs money. A semi reliable water supply only arrived about 5 years ago and up till then they survived on what nature gave them. It is rich people that don't understand the value of water and are responsible for most of the waste.

Never a truer word said. The general attitude among many of the richer folk is that if they can afford to pay for it, they'll use as much of it, as wastefully as they wish. Often wonder why so few people have the old water trough at the bottom of the roof drainpipes, which my grandfather had around his house to collect rain water to water his plants. Interesting to note how much knowledge and wisdom has been lost in these modern times.

Water could well turn out to be the one factor which limits human population size.

What's better than a wet pussy during hard times. :rolleyes:

Edited by Payboy

We frequently are short of water from these canals because the stupid Thais think that because we dam the canal to raise the water level so we can get water we are depriving them and instead of damming the canal below them they break ours down. We do not steal all the water, only what we need. At the end of the canal the water just goes into the river. TIT. ATAS. All Thais are stupid.

Edited by cdnvic
removed most of the content and left the rest as an example of how to get suspended.

Water could well turn out to be the one factor which limits human population size.

Not necessarily a bad thing.

The lack of water can cause a lot of strife and agravation as noted by some posters , it is becoming a global problem , they are having huge issues in India because of a lack of CO-ORDINATED water conservation , people just have to work together on this problem if there are to be any worthwhile gains in the correct direction . This emergency situation cannot be left to the A typical type of thinking the Thai are so adept at , mai phen rai and do not fix it 'til it's broke , it is VERY difficult to get any simple logic through their brains , you have to pay them to do things that are to THEIR BENIFIT , I know because I have been-there-done-that .

Just another stupid ferang !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know what i wanted to say .

issan is like totally red right ? and a few months back they came down to bangkok , were allowed to camp / squat in the city center for two months (even provided w/ mobile toilets) and then on their way out to say thanks to the good citizens of the nation's capital the issanites burned down the malls .

when they got back to the farm , the gods , angry from what the people had done , directed the rains clouds to stay away .

the northerners MUST do penance and make big time merit for their "sins"

so far , haven't seen it

only then might the skies open

Edited by jackdawson