First Concert?

Spee

Hawkwind at Wolverhampton town Hall. Was more interested in the dancer stripping off behind the speaker stack. :o After that anyone and everyone until I'd seen all the major groups and they opened the NEC. Couldn't stand sitting at the back of an enormous hall.

Veritas

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chubby Checker, Gene Vincent & the Bluecaps, Pat Boone, Little Richard, Bill Haley & the Comets etc., all in the Big Tin Shed at Rushcutters Bay in SYD..... year AD 1960 sumpin :D

Last concert was The Beatles..... AD 1964....... :o

First really big concert was Isle of Wight, 1970....

That's strange, I didn't see you there :o . I was up on the hill with my Lambretta and all the other people who didn't buy a ticket :D

...me too.

But I was more than a little affected by beer and chemicals. So much so, I actually slept through all of Jimi's set.

Something I've spent all my life trying to live down.

- me too! I try not to remember the number of fantastic bands I slept through, but in those days I never really appreciated that they were so good, that it would all end and we would never again have the opportunity to listen to such groups again. I think Hendrix and Janis Joplin died soon after.

"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end..."

What about the ones you wished you'd seen....?

Freddy Mercury & Queen. - Saw them

Pink Floyd - Saw them a few times

McCartney & Wings - Wouldn't really bother

Phil Collins & Genesis - Saw them

Aerosmith - Would have loved to see them back in their prime ( about 1978 )

Eric Clapton in Concert - Saw God a few times too.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh........ :o

I wish I had seen Mr Hendrix , I really do , oh and Robert Johnson would have been neat... too

Edited by chonabot

I wish I had seen Mr Hendrix , I really do , oh and Robert Johnson would have been neat... too

I cannot imagine anyone on TV old enough to have seen Robert Johnson.

Anyway, not necessarily in the right order:

Jethro Tull - Farmer's Arms, Bradford.

Yes - Leeds Town Hall.

Hawkwind - Threshold (Phonographique), Leeds.

Strawbs - Leeds Polytechnic.

Howlin' Wolf and Freddy King - Manchester Free Trade Hall.

Edgar Broughton Band - Blackpool Mecca.

Queen - somewhere in Edinboro'.

Hawkwind at Wolverhampton town Hall. Was more interested in the dancer stripping off behind the speaker stack.  :o After that anyone and everyone until I'd seen all the major groups and they opened the NEC. Couldn't stand sitting at the back of an enormous hall.

Veritas

Believe it or not, I actually met Hawkwinds Go-Go dancer. We gave her a lift from Leicester back home to Margate one weekend. ( Hawkwind were Margate based)

Nice body, but a boatrace like a bag of spanners.

That's strange, I didn't see you there :D . I was up on the hill with my Lambretta and all the other people who didn't buy a ticket :D

But my first concert (I think) was the Groundhogs at South Parade Pier, Portsmouth. Not sure when - things were a little.. er.. hazy?:D in those days :D:o Maybe it was Simon Dupree at the pier. :D

:D

Groundhogs...another band I saw and had forgot all about.

Hawkwind at Wolverhampton town Hall. Was more interested in the dancer stripping off behind the speaker stack.   :o After that anyone and everyone until I'd seen all the major groups and they opened the NEC. Couldn't stand sitting at the back of an enormous hall.

Veritas

Believe it or not, I actually met Hawkwinds Go-Go dancer. We gave her a lift from Leicester back home to Margate one weekend. ( Hawkwind were Margate based)

Nice body, but a boatrace like a bag of spanners.

Lamps...do you remember those small unofficial 'free concerts' held near Ramsgate about 25 years ago? Hawkwind were always on the bill.

]

Lamps...do you remember those small unofficial  'free concerts' held near Ramsgate about 25 years ago? Hawkwind were always on the bill.

I left for my 'World tour' in 1979, and didn't return to Ramsgate until 1993. Just before I left I saw Hawkwind in Millies in Westgate though.

That's strange, I didn't see you there :o . I was up on the hill with my Lambretta and all the other people who didn't buy a ticket :D

But I was more than a little affected by beer and chemicals. So much so, I actually slept through all of Jimi's set.

Something I've spent all my life trying to live down.

Shame. His "God Save the Queen" was quite captivating, even to the filthy American backpacker that I was that Summer.

Amazing what I was willing to put up with to hear some music: entire night time train ride from London in a cramped and stuffy baggage car, no tent or sleeping bag for three days out in the open, no place to wash up, no real food, and the loo was just some iron pipes over which you hung your A55 while you watched everyone else take a crap. Lovely fun, though.

Robert Johnson??

The creator of Electric Blues.

He wrote Crossroads , Sweet Home Chicago, Terraplane Blues etc.

Pretty much started it off back in the early part of the 20th century.

Without him we would not have had Muddy Waters, BB King, Cream, Jimi, Rock and Roll , pretty much all of it.

Many have dubbed Johnson the father of modern rock and roll. Of all early bluesmen, Robert Johnson can be considered one of the more prolific. Although he did not live long enough to become as popular as many of the other earlier blues artists, his music has influenced a number of musicians who dramatically changed music history. Popular covers of his songs have been recorded by Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Elmore James,The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and many, many others.

:o

Edited by chonabot

When you say rock concert, of course i thnk of sitting in a field for three days watching non-stop music. I was at Shepton Mallett in 1970 for my first. I couldn't remember the whole line up but looked it up and even though I was there it surprised me. And I can vividly remember about 90%;

Pink Floyd

Santana

Canned Heat

Donovan ( came by helicopter)

Dr John ( not the same one)

Flock

Hot Tuna ( part of Jefferson Airplane)

Steppenwolf

Maynard Fergason

Joe Jammer

Hawkwind

Byrds

Colosseum

Country Joe

Johnny Winter

Frank Zappa

Moody Blues ( also by helicopter but were very late)

Fairport Convention

Keef hartley Band

It's a Beautiful Day

Jefferson Airplane

Led Zeppalin

John Mayall

What a line up.

The next music feast I devoured was some years later at Knebworth. The line-up there was;

Genesis

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Devo

Jefferson Airplane ( without Gracie; she was left pissed in Hamburg)

Hot Tuna

Brand X ( Phil Collins's other group)

In my extreme youth 14-18 I had seen dozens of other groups at Dreamland in Margate. In fact most of the top acts of the time. Suppose thats why I love 60's & 70's music

What a line up. How many days did they play?

Edited by aughie

Robert Johnson??

Sleeve Notes - Crossroad Blues - Robert Johnson (1911 - 1938)

"In the same way as Charlie Parker is to jazz and Hank Williams to Country ( :o ) the one truly mystical figure of blues music is Robert Johnson. He is without question the single most celebrated figure in the history of the blues. His legend is unquestionably strengthened by the legacy of the recordings that he left behind. These are considered the passionate peak of blues itself.

Many are recognised as blues standards. Indeed, tribute has been paid by the very cream of the rock and roll world, through adaptations and arrangements of Johnson originals. Artists such as The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Steve Miller and most notably Eric Clapton have all paid their own tribute to the man in their recordings. Indeed, Clapton in various guises has covered four of the titles included on this compilation "Crossroad Blues", "Ramblin' on my Mind", "Dust my Broom" and "Kindhearted Woman Blues".

Johnson still remains a potent force. As a singer, composer and guitarist he produced some of the blues's best music, and his apocalyptic visions shroud the artist in myth and mystery. Haunted, doomed and driven by demons, a truly tormented genius, destined to die early, and tragically, poisoned by a jealous girlfriend while playing a rock joint.

Those who were to last see him swear that he was crawling around on all fours, foaming from the mouth, hissing and snapping at onlookers like a rabid dog. His dying words were "I pray that my redeemer will come and take me from my grave". Stories were told of the deal he made with the devil at a crossroads early in his career, to become a great blues musician, if so, his deal ended there. He was 27, and a legend was born"

my first concert was back in the 1964 or 65 and it was the beatles , it was a tv show , (the mike and bernie winters show) , it was in blackpool . the beatles did a couple of numbers at the end of the show , it must have been the time of their first single. shamefully , i was with my parents , who naturally wanted to leave when the beatles came on.

next up was the rolling stones , 1965 , along with cilla black , the searchers , a couple of american bands. they toured england playing the odeons , each group doing two or three numbers. the stones topped the bill. it was before satisfaction. i can remember them playing "its all over now" , still a fine song with a strong riff.

after seeing the stones , i was hooked on rock.

i saw hendrix play at the "cow and calf" pub in ilkley on his first tour in the uk.

the place was packed out , his reputation preceeded him , after a long wait he appeared on the stage , a small area next to the bar , and he managed to play two or three notes when a f#$^%ing daft ilkley policeman stepped in front of him and closed the whole thing down , fire regulations , too many people in the pub.

so i saw him play a few notes at least.

a regular at hammersmith odeon during the seventies and eighties , i really miss those days. the music was great and the concerts informal , plus you could skin up and toke away to your hearts content , and was hard to beat a quarter of good nepalese with zappa or little feat as a backdrop.

glory days indeed.

the last concert i saw was neil young at the hammersmith apollo (the old odeon) a couple of years ago , solo acoustic and magically brilliant.

would love to see pink floyd next week in london , but wont be there.

love these concert and stoner music related posts.

anybody remember that character who was always up the front dancing like a madman at the hammersmith odeon , we always knew him as jesus cos of the hairdo.

I really can't remember, but it must have been either, The Damned, The Angelic Upstarts, The Stanglers, Stiff Little Fingers(the donkeys supporting), The Buzzcocks( nearly unknown Joy Division supporting).

First big one was Bowie's Glass Spider tour in Edinburgh(murrayfield) in 1983.

It would have beeen the ramones(my favourite band at the time), but my Mum wouldn't let me travel through to Glasgow. The Ramones playing on a school night, outrageous!

When you say rock concert, of course i thnk of sitting in a field for three days watching non-stop music. I was at Shepton Mallett in 1970 for my first. I couldn't remember the whole line up but looked it up and even though I was there it surprised me. And I can vividly remember about 90%;

Pink Floyd

Santana

Canned Heat

Donovan ( came by helicopter)

Dr John ( not the same one)

Flock

Hot Tuna ( part of Jefferson Airplane)

Steppenwolf

Maynard Fergason

Joe Jammer

Hawkwind

Byrds

Colosseum

Country Joe

Johnny Winter

Frank Zappa

Moody Blues ( also by helicopter but were very late)

Fairport Convention

Keef hartley Band

It's a Beautiful Day

Jefferson Airplane

Led Zeppalin

John Mayall

What a line up.

The next music feast I devoured was some years later at Knebworth. The line-up there was;

Genesis

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Devo

Jefferson Airplane ( without Gracie; she was left pissed in Hamburg)

Hot Tuna

Brand X ( Phil Collins's other group)

In my extreme youth 14-18 I had seen dozens of other groups at Dreamland in Margate. In fact most of the top acts of the time. Suppose thats why I love 60's & 70's music

I was at both of those too.... :D

Great weren't they! :o !

Luck old gits , I would have been 4 at the time , but still would have dug it.

The best era in music and I was too young....sigh. :D

I concur. I wasn't too young (am still an old git), but was stranded in the then cultural wasteland of Australia. Only a few crumbs came our way.

I really can't remember, but it must have been either, The Damned, The Angelic Upstarts, The Stanglers, Stiff Little Fingers(the donkeys supporting), The Buzzcocks( nearly unknown Joy Division supporting).

First big one was Bowie's Glass Spider tour in Edinburgh(murrayfield) in 1983.

It would have beeen the ramones(my favourite band at the time), but my Mum wouldn't let me travel through to Glasgow. The Ramones playing on a school night, outrageous!

I forgot about the Ramones......I was a crowd controller for them on a Canberra gig.

Talking of the Beatles....never saw them play but did see them drinking lagers in my folks local when they were filming Hard Days night......it was the pub where Ringo was dropped into the cellar that had a tiger in it and he had to whistle Beethovens 9th to calm it down. Being close to the studios the pub was a favourite for many stars at the time.

In the seventies, we used to go and see a local band that played every other Sunday at the Winning Post pub in Teddington. They finally cut a record and then never came back. The record was Whisky in the Jar and the band was Thin Lizzy.

It, seems like this thread has become the big nostalgia trip and not so much the first concert.

Never having any problems hopping on a diversion, I’m going to join in.

Anyone who was a college or Uni in the UK in the late 60s-early 70s will have seen, like me, all of these groups, because all played the college circuit:

The Who

The Animals (Erik Burdon and Alan Price)

Traffic (with Steve Windwood and Dave Mason)

Aleksis Korner (with every great English blues player)

The Zombies

Moody Blues

Pink Floyd

Jeff Beck (with singer Rod Stewart and on keyboards Elton John)

Sonny Boy Williamson

Georgie Fame

Them (with Van Morrison)

Fontella Bass

…I’m sure I’ve missed out many, including the hundreds of soul bands who started touring, inspired by the 65 tour I saw at a dance hall in Burnley:

Otis Reading, Sam and Dave, Booker T. etc…

(and if you drove to Watford Gap services on the M1, in the early hours of a Sunday morning, you could meet anyone of the above, having a coffee and a much needed piss)

Edited by Thomas_Merton

ahhhh merton , your reminiscences bring tears to my eyes , those saturday night university concerts , what memories.

the beer swilling from 6pm till 8.30 , the dance before the main event , the (slim)chance of pairing off with that right goer from the history department , and if you didnt then there were the bands . up front near the speaker stacks whilst the who or any of the other bands you mentioned and more did their stuff , honing their art before moving on to the big halls and stadiums.

the goer from the history dept. usually ended up with the drummer by the way. :o

It, seems like this thread has become the big nostalgia trip and not so much the first concert.

Anyone who was a college or Uni in the UK in the late 60s-early 70s will have seen, like me, all of these groups, because all played the college circuit:

The Who

The Zombies

Moody Blues

Pink Floyd

Sonny Boy Williamson

Georgie Fame

Them (with Van Morrison)

Fontella Bass

…I’m sure I’ve missed out many, including the hundreds of soul bands who started touring, inspired by the 65 tour I saw at a dance hall in Burnley:

(and if you drove to Watford Gap services on the M1, in the early hours of a Sunday morning, you could meet anyone of the above, having a coffee and a much needed piss)

Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders

Dave Dee & the Bostons ( later Dave Dee,Dozy,Beaky,Mick & Titch)

The Merseybeats

The Hollies

The Kinks

The Alan Price Set

The Troggs

Seen 'em all at Dreamland. As well as the lot you mentioned. Most of those groups played at the Sunday night Rendevouz Club, before they were mega-famous.

I did see a lot of them again when they were really famous at the saturday night hops at RAF Brize Norton. We used to get the best there.

Incidently, the drummer of the Merseybeats, John Banks, ended up a good friend of mine. He used to run a pub called 'Tony's' in the middle of Tel Aviv. Unfortunately he died quite young .

Edited by lampard10

The Who

The Zombies

Moody Blues

Pink Floyd

Sonny Boy Williamson

Georgie Fame

Them (with Van Morrison)

Fontella Bass

The Merseybeats

The Hollies

The Kinks

The Alan Price Set

The Troggs

Seen 'em all at Dreamland. As well as the lot you mentioned. Most of those groups played at the Sunday night Rendevouz Club, before they were mega-famous.

I did see a lot of them again when they were really famous at the saturday night hops at RAF Brize Norton. We used to get the best there.

I forgot about:

The Hollies

The Kinks

The Alan Price Set

The Troggs

but missed the Mersybeats out on purpose, Because I could never work out how popular they really were - also a couple of my mates played with them.

What a musical education we received!

As that Welsh tart sang "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end".

But they did.

The Who

The Zombies

Moody Blues

Pink Floyd

Sonny Boy Williamson

Georgie Fame

Them (with Van Morrison)

Fontella Bass

The Merseybeats

The Hollies

The Kinks

The Alan Price Set

The Troggs

I forgot about:

The Hollies

The Kinks

The Alan Price Set

The Troggs

but missed the Mersybeats out on purpose, Because I could never work out how popular they really were - also a couple of my mates played with them.

What a musical education we received!

As that Welsh tart sang "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end".

But they did.

Now you are just rubbing it in Thomas and Lampard!

This hasn't been a good day, I awoke to the news that Shane and Simone had split and now I'm reminded of the great musical acts I was never able to see.

Beastie Boys at Brixton in 1994 or 1995 was the first amongst hundreds.

And maybe a shock to some of you old boys out there but I've seen Bob Dylan and The Who when they played Hyde Park for the quadrophenia concert.

Always gutted I missed Bowie at Phoenix fest in 1996(?) because of the serious traffic jam gridlock on the way there.

]

Now you are just rubbing it in Thomas and Lampard!

This hasn't been a good day, I awoke to the news that Shane and Simone had split and now I'm reminded of the great musical acts I was never able to see.

Bloody he11 old chap. You're not going to like the Test series then are you? :o

QUEEN: Fri 11th Mar 1977 - Canada, Vancouver, PNE Coliseum

Never forgot it- they actually announced they wouldn't lip sync to the middle chorus in Bohemian Rhapsody (explaining it's multi tracked and not reproduceable live) and left the set for the multi-dubbed part, letting the track play then came back to sing the finale live. The crowd absolutely loved it! You don't see much of that kind of integrity with bands these days... Total class and an unforgettable concert. :D

Those were the days... :o

Set-list (copied): Tie Your Mother Down, Ogre Battle, White Queen (as it began), Somebody To Love, 1. Killer Queen, 2. The Millionaire Waltz, 3. You're My Best Friend, 4. Bring Back That Leroy Brown, 5. Sweet Lady, 6. Brighton Rock, 7. `39, 8. You Take My Breath Away, 9. White Man, 10. The Prophet's Song, 11. Bohemian Rhapsody, 12. Stone Cold Crazy, 13. Keep Yourself Alive, 14. Liar, 15. In The Lap Of The Gods...revisited, 16. Now I'm Here, 17. Hey Big Spender, 18. Jailhouse Rock, 19. Stupid Cupid, 20. Be Bop A Lula, 21. Jailhouse Rock, 22. God Save The Queen!!