Marriage Visa

hello

i am british aged 45 and my Thai wife is 44 we have been married in Thailand (official marriage with papers etc.) for over 6 months. My wife owns her own business - a small travel agents but makes enough money for us both although she doesn't pay tax.

i know about the changes in the visa rules - i am at present on a transit visa (yawn) and have been since the clamp down.

we went to the immigration office to ask about a marriage visa, it seems if your b or o visa has run out and you are on a transit, you have to leave the country to get a marriage visa via another country?

also i notice in the small print, it says somewhere you must have 400k/800k 'if you are the supporter'? i do have the 400k but i don't want us to have to fly to another country just to get a marriage o visa?

plus my wife being a bread winner must be taken into account surely? otherwise i would argue that the rules are sexist and they break the Thai constitution, which has a clause about not being sexist etc.

the irony is that my wife has taken care of me and supported me financially for the last 5 months.

any comments would be welcome.

fatty

Well you are a rare bird indeed. A farang man kept by a Thai woman. I don't think Immigration ever foresaw such a situation. You'll have to exit Thailand and get an O class Non-Immigrant visa. Open a bank account ( it can be a joint account ) with a bank in Thailand with 200,000 baht, and hurry to do that or by July that sum will double. Then extend the visa to a one year stay. There's no need ( usually ) to keep those funds in that account, other than at re-newal time.

makes enough money for us both although she doesn't pay tax.

I expect you are going to be in for a bit of tough questioning on your support when/if you apply for an extension of stay. Your wife could be the source but if she is avoiding tax payments you do have a problem. :o

Your marriage will get you a multi entry O visa valid for up to 15 months worth of 90 day stays.

I would not advise any type of argument and would be content to exit/enter every 90 days unless you can provide ongoing evidence of support. But admit I am on the conservative side in these matters and perhaps they will not question a bank account with no source of income.

lopburi is absolutely right, you need to submit her tax payment receipt along with your marriage license, copy of your passport and copy of your bank account. it is one of the required documents to get a marriage visa for a dependent spouse.

So whats the big deal of going to Vientiane,Mai sai ,Penang or where ever across the Thai border for a day and getting the correct visa?

I do not think that I would try to outsmart the officials here,if they say it and it is not what is printed in the rules book,you had better still do it,

Only in the USA would I argue with a uniformed official,and my wife is one,even tho just a school teacher,they are uniform crazy here,and I have found in this type of environment it is foolish to argue with them,as the uniform complex is very hard to beat,,makes them some kind of god.

When I came here I was a tourist,then got married but still made my visa journeys outside and it was kind of like a vacation,but got tired of that so got an O and started to get a married,but was recommended by an immigration officer in BKK that I get a retired,so OK, and was simple as I was doing what she said and every time I go in for a renewal,it is still simple,don't know what it will be if she is moved on or replaced by someone else,but as long as she is there I think it will remain easy.

But if you decide to go your own way and get smart with them and try to dazzle them with fancy footwork and bullshit,I sure hope that you keep us posted on what happens as you are liable to find your ass outside looking in.

hello

well sorry to try to raise an issue. i was only trying to contribute to an on going debate - and i don't concider my arguments bullshit either.

plus it takes more than a day to process a type 'o' visa at a thai embassy. when i use the term argument i refer to 'debate' and not verbal punch-ups.

if we don't try to occationaly 'challenge' the system nothing well ever change here. yes i would never argue with a policeman or immigration officer but i might put my argument to an intelligent lawyer. just thought i'd throw something in the pot and see what comes out. oh and yes we are going to fly out to the nearest thai embassy but we are going to take my wifes government company cert. to prove she has her own business and she also tells me now that she has paid some tax. so i will post the outcome and let you know what the 'thai embassy' make of it all and how it turns out. thanks for those giving positive advice.

fat bald farang