Shipping Boxes From States

HarryLL76

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT size=3>Have any of you shipped boxes from the West Coast (LA or Las Vegas) to Bangkok?  For example, mid-sized stereo system (has hard drive containing CDs, books, and a few other items (total of about six mid-sided boxes).  If so, did you ship them via air or sea, and did you have to pay duty?  Is the import duty very high on used electronics? </FONT></SPAN></P>

If you have a retirement visa you can bring in household goods free of duty .The goods must be brought in within 6 months of you arriving in Thailand .Maybe there are other exempt cases also .

I have a shipment of 17 boxes coming over by sea from Ireland ,due to arrive Bangkok end of july .

• Like 1

i brought all of my contents of my house from england,and used tiger shipping in bkk they were excellent door to door service,but i put it all in my wifes name, i did this 3 years ago.and because my wife lived in england for more then a year we never payed vat and tax in england or thailand

If you have a retirement visa you can bring in household goods free of duty .The goods must be brought in within 6 months of you arriving in Thailand .Maybe there are other exempt cases also .

I have a shipment of 17 boxes coming over by sea from Ireland ,due to arrive Bangkok end of july .

I will be very interested to see how your customs clearance goes as a retiree does not qualify for tax and duty free status.

I will be very interested to see how your customs clearance goes as a retiree does not qualify for tax and duty free status.

I believe you are wrong but we shall see .

Kurnell is correct...receiving items on a non-O/retirement visa does not qualify the shipment for customs free entry. Please see the following Thai customs web link and note the "red note" on the document that pulls up.

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/HouseholdEffects/HouseholdEffects.jsp?menuNme=HouseHold

Additionally, the OP never stated what visa he was coming over on

To the OP, I used the following shipping company at this web site http://www.xsbaggage.com/ to ship 16 large boxes (22" X 22"X 22" boxes) at almost 1500 lbs from Hawaii to Bangkok about 2 years ago. Don't be mislead by the companies name (Xsbaggage) as they arrange all types of shipments (air, ground, ship). I used surface shipment (i.e., ship) because as expected it was a lot cheaper than air shipment plus all the stuff being shipped was used household goods and we didn't need them immediately upon Bangkok arrival. Xsbaggage had the best price among of all the Hawaii and national shippers, and I'm very pleased that I used them. They can arrange door-to-door or door to port shipment which includes customs clearance--not to imply you won't pay some customs charges depending on your situation. I selected door-to-port shipment because of the higher pricing of the door-to-door shipment (included the additional high custom fee estimate) plus the Thai wife and I wanted to work directly with the local/Bangkok shipment receiving agent/company to arrange the Bangkok port-to-Bangkok door final leg of the shipment to help ensure little to no customs charges since the wife was a returning Thai citizen. The shipment via ship actually went from Hawaii to LA...put on another boat at LA...and then off to Bangkok (i.e., no oceans shipment directly out of Hawaii to Bangkok). The door-to-port charge for 16 boxes/1500 pounds came to $2,502. You cost per pound should be cheaper since your shipment will start out from LA. Also note that shipment costs are also based on "volumetric" weight (size and weight) versus just pure weight, so box size affects your final cost. I found the 22" x 22" x 22" box size to be the most cost effective on my particular ship. Seems above that box size, prices starting jumping up fast.

When the shipment arrived about 6 weeks after pickup, the shipment's local receiving agent contacted us (XsBagge will notify you who will be the local receiving/shipment company vs just waiting for the call), we setup port-to-door delivery with emphasis on the wife's status to hopefully avoid customs, etc. The wife and I went with the the receiving agent representative to Thai Customs to show her Thai passport, sign a few documents, etc., and we escaped without any customs fees being levied. Now, I will admit that we did pay a 3,000 Baht (approx $92) charge on the local receiving agent's invoice identified as "Customs Formality Charge/Invoice." I didn't challenge this as it seemed like a standard charge and since I was so happy we had avoided the possibility of thousands of dollars in customs fees. There were other charges in the local receiving agent invoice (service, transportation, rent/demurrage, customs inspection, etc.) but when the dust settled the total local charge was just a little over 10,000 Baht (approx $300) to get it delivered from the Bangkok port to our Bangkok home about 20 miles away.

So, 16 large boxes weighting 1500 lbs cost me approx $2800 total to ship over (basically half way around the world since the shipment went Hawaii-California-Thailand)...and only $92 of the total amount appeared to possibly end up with the customs folks. Heck, the local receiving agent may have kept that money, but as mentioned I don't care, as I was so happy to escape with such a small customs fee on the thousands of dollars worth of stuff we shipped over. Your experience may vary....remember, our shipment came over under the Thai wife's name which was suppose to allow "used household goods" to enter customs free...which is basically did.

***Also, really, really ship as little as possible/only the truly important items as I figure about half of the stuff I shipped over didn't need to be shipped, but I couldn't get the wife to give it up (too many memories)...but if we had it to do over, I know the wife would now agree that we shipped over about 500 lbs of stuff we shouldn't have brought over--hind sight is always great ain't it.***

Cheers and good luck on the move.

>>Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified for (1)

Thai Residents: Thai residents may import the secondhand/used household effects acquired abroad duty-free if such household effects are accompanied them in the change of residence and they are qualified under the criteria listed below:

Thai residents or government officials work or carry out a working visit abroad for at least one year. In case where the Thai residents/government officials must return to Thailand before one year, evidence showing that the return is caused by the termination of contracts, reshuffle of positions, or early termination of working visits, is required.

Thai residents working abroad under other reasons than those indicated in (1) are required to undertake a commitment that they shall return to Thailand to resume residence.

Thai students, government officials study abroad for at least one year.

>> are not qualified for (1)<<

It just means to me that they are not qualifyied for statement 1 ,not that they have to pay tax .

>>Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified for (1)

Thai Residents: Thai residents may import the secondhand/used household effects acquired abroad duty-free if such household effects are accompanied them in the change of residence and they are qualified under the criteria listed below:

Thai residents or government officials work or carry out a working visit abroad for at least one year. In case where the Thai residents/government officials must return to Thailand before one year, evidence showing that the return is caused by the termination of contracts, reshuffle of positions, or early termination of working visits, is required.

Thai residents working abroad under other reasons than those indicated in (1) are required to undertake a commitment that they shall return to Thailand to resume residence.

Thai students, government officials study abroad for at least one year.

>> are not qualified for (1)<<

It just means to me that they are not qualifyied for statement 1 ,not that they have to pay tax .

And since he has just confirmed he's coming over on a retirement visa (can't work), this means #2 and #3 don't apply either...strike 3 he's out for customs free entry. However, but, he may get lucky as we seen other TV posts where retirees got their shipment customs free or close to it...and sometimes some tea money was involved.

To the OP, be sure to list/name your shipment as "Used Personal Effects and Household Goods" to help avoid customs.

We sent a shipment to Thailand earlier this year in my wifes name, who qualified for duty free status based on being a returning resident. Customs just laughed at her and said "Impossible.... everyone must pay". 3 days later we had tried about 5 different logistics companies and the best we could negotiate was down from the original 65000B to about 30000B. We were getting nowhere trying to explain it should be duty free, even with the web page printed out for them. They make the police look like amateurs when it comes to extortion. The majority of the fees they wanted to charge were handling and clearance fees so even if you somehow manage to get "Duty Free" you will still pay over 15000B in other charges. We shipped our dog over with us on the plane as excess baggage and had an official stamped import certificate from the Thai Ministry granting approval. It had taken 3 months and about $500 to get the approval. Customs refused to acknowledge it, told me it was impossible to bring a Rottweiler into thailand, despite having written approval to import " One Live Rottweiler Male" unless I paid a bribe of 30000B to the Head Veterinarian of the Dept of Livestock to "change" the paperwork. I managed to get it down to 15000B. So in all I paid 45000B for what should have cost nothing. Good Luck.

Who told you that it was free as I have been clearing this sort of shipment for 11 years in Thailand and tax and duties are always levied for retirees. Regualtions are quite simple, only a foreigner with a work permit can import used household goods and personal effects tax and duty free.

We sent a shipment to Thailand earlier this year in my wifes name, who qualified for duty free status based on being a returning resident. Customs just laughed at her and said "Impossible.... everyone must pay". 3 days later we had tried about 5 different logistics companies and the best we could negotiate was down from the original 65000B to about 30000B. We were getting nowhere trying to explain it should be duty free, even with the web page printed out for them. They make the police look like amateurs when it comes to extortion. The majority of the fees they wanted to charge were handling and clearance fees so even if you somehow manage to get "Duty Free" you will still pay over 15000B in other charges. We shipped our dog over with us on the plane as excess baggage and had an official stamped import certificate from the Thai Ministry granting approval. It had taken 3 months and about $500 to get the approval. Customs refused to acknowledge it, told me it was impossible to bring a Rottweiler into thailand, despite having written approval to import " One Live Rottweiler Male" unless I paid a bribe of 30000B to the Head Veterinarian of the Dept of Livestock to "change" the paperwork. I managed to get it down to 15000B. So in all I paid 45000B for what should have cost nothing. Good Luck.

I think Rottweilers are considered a dangerous breed in Thailand.

I think Rottweilers are considered a dangerous breed in Thailand.

RE: recommending a shipper. I highly recommend SIAM INTERNATIONAL FREIGHT based in Los Angeles. Earlier this year, I shipped 33 large boxes from Sacramento, CA to our home in Northern Thailand. Door to door cost was $2500 including all customs and other fees. Check their website or call Frank for a quote.

www.siaminternational.com

Who told you that it was free as I have been clearing this sort of shipment for 11 years in Thailand and tax and duties are always levied for retirees. Regualtions are quite simple, only a foreigner with a work permit can import used household goods and personal effects tax and duty free.

I have read it numerous times that somebody who gets a retirement visa has 6 months upon entering Thailand to bring in his household goods duty free .

I have read it numerous times that somebody who gets a retirement visa has 6 months upon entering Thailand to bring in his household goods duty free

I have read numerous times that the moon is made of blue cheese but that does not make it right

The OP is going to have to pay, either under the table or through legitimate channels, whatever customs demands to import his boxes into Thailand

Edited by Langsuan Man

I have read it numerous times that somebody who gets a retirement visa has 6 months upon entering Thailand to bring in his household goods duty free .

Recommend posting/providing the link for a couple of those numerous reads. Would also recommend one of those links be from Thai Customs. Thanks.

Recommend posting/providing the link for a couple of those numerous reads. Would also recommend one of those links be from Thai Customs. Thanks.

I have been in the import business for 11 years and can advise that it is very likely that you will not be allowed tax and duty free import.

... Just my personal observation: If you can't bring it with you on the airplane -- maybe with excess/oversize baggage -- you probably don't need it... be sure to smile as you walk through the Green Channel.

agree with above comment above me. it works if you are a thai moving back, you can claim this is used items.

for personal effect ..umm best consulting with a shipping/relocations company in Thailand. They can give you idea at least on the percentage of your items.

Again, companies might give you different percentage/calculation amount, it all depends on their experience of staff at clearance job and how close friend with custom to let go your shipment in which less or much percent.

Reliability you may try to communicate with a company for a while before making decision, seeing how efficient they are in replying, following up.

Edited by tidarat

• 1 month later...

Just an update .My goods arrived from Ireland by sea last month .There were 17 ,2 foot square boxes .I had many tools ,electric saws ,books ,cds ,and computer stuff .Customs duty came to only B3,500 .A company called Agility fairs and events in Bangkok handled everything ,including taking the goods on down to my Condo in Jomtien .

PS,I am on my second retirement visa .I had to give up my origional passport to customs which was returned a week later .

Edited by Thaifan2