Iphone 3.1.3 Unlock

nikster

Fyi the unlock for those who upgraded their jail broken 3GS to 3.1.3 has been released.

Here is how it works:

1 jailbreak your phone. If you don't have itunes 9.2, then you can just use the spirit jailbreak. If you already synced with itunes 9.2, then spirit causes a bug so you cant use it. Instead you have to downgrade to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with blackra1n or any of the other 3.1.2 jailbreaks

2 once cydia is installed, add the ultrasn0w repository to data sources, then search for ultrasn0w, install and run

It works well, i just did this for a friend. Downgraded his phone to 3.1.2, jailbreak with blackra1n, unlock with ultrasn0w

The jail breaking / unlocking process has now become so complicated that I recommend to just take it to one of the shops if yiu are not sure you can do it. Each solution out there has a lot of strings attached to it. Hopefully they'll come out with a better / universal working-on-all-devices jailbreak for ios4. But until then with a little bit of work you can restore phone functionality to the iPhone. Its a big deal because a lot of people have not been able to use their phone as a phone since February!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got hit with a 6000 Baht phone bill because of my pos 2G iphone leaking internet. I've got everything turned off and short of leaving it in airplane mode all the time I'm not sure what to do. I've phoned AIS and asked to to cancel EDGE on my account while I wait until the new iPhone either gets released in Canada or in Thailand. Either way I'm buying an official unlocked phone because dealing with the pineapple guys is too much of a pita.

Agree with the unlocked thing, only way to go forward.

I also had a 2g and always ok with my 20 hour package on Ais. All i did is no cydia apps, turn off notifications, set email checking to manual. That's it.

I just got hit with a 6000 Baht phone bill because of my pos 2G iphone leaking internet. I've got everything turned off and short of leaving it in airplane mode all the time I'm not sure what to do. I've phoned AIS and asked to to cancel EDGE on my account while I wait until the new iPhone either gets released in Canada or in Thailand. Either way I'm buying an official unlocked phone because dealing with the pineapple guys is too much of a pita.

Motoyen this has been discussed time and time again on this forum. I would have argued about that bill though, I think they would have compromised if you pushed it.

Assuming you are smart and know how to turn off all the push and location and all that, then what your problem is, is that you installed a cydia app that leaks. This has happened to me many times, install one bad app from cydia and it eats minutes even with everything turned off, you have to uninstall your cydia apps and reinstall them one by one checking your edge usage every 10 minutes to see which app is leaking. You check on AIS by dialing a *911*1#

Motoyen this has been discussed time and time again on this forum. I would have argued about that bill though, I think they would have compromised if you pushed it.

Assuming you are smart and know how to turn off all the push and location and all that, then what your problem is, is that you installed a cydia app that leaks. This has happened to me many times, install one bad app from cydia and it eats minutes even with everything turned off, you have to uninstall your cydia apps and reinstall them one by one checking your edge usage every 10 minutes to see which app is leaking. You check on AIS by dialing a *911*1#

Well what's strange about my phone is that even though I've turned off all push/alert notifications it occasionally goes online and downloads my email. I've even installed the SB setting thing to turn off EDGE but sometimes I check it and EDGE is turned back on. The only Cydia app I have on the phone is winterboard and OpenSSH. The weird thing is this really only started to be a problem when I switched to a new AIS package that gave me 30 hours for 99 Baht. Ever since then my bills have gone through the roof and the minutes showing on my phone by dialing that AIS code doesn't match what is shown on my bill. I've tried to argue it with AIS but I might as well be talking to the wall. So with this 6000 Baht bill I'm going to cancel my account and switch back to 12call cards until the iphone 4 comes out.

That is very strange... I have a 2g phone too on ais so my experiences should be the same. Have you gone into your push settings and manually turned off push for each account?

Also if you show ais that your minutes on the phone when you call dont match your bill.... that should be sufficient argument enough to get them to cut you a deal.

If you are unsure what app might be leaking the safest bet is to restore, dont install anything, and check your minutes every hour with all push etc turned off.

I also have 30 hours on ais and with all my settings turned off and no bad apps installed I can actually leave edge turned on full time and it doesnt leak, but I've gone through what you have 3 times before, now I'm pro at keeping it from happening.

Do you have mobile me with sync? That would check regularly and leak data.

Yeah I have push turned off for each account, notifications turned off, location turned off and yet somehow my phone must be going online. I first noticed this when I got to Thailand back in December and was using 12Call cards and couldn't understand why all my credit was disappearing overnight! So I switched to the AIS monthly plan that gave me 140 hours of internet because I wasn't sure how much I was using but in the first 2 months I only used 7 and 9 hours respectively. So I went back to AIS and switched to their 99Baht 30 hour plan and the very next month I got a 1600 Baht bill with a huge internet charge.

That bill came during the height of the red protests and I was using twitter and email a lot so I thought maybe I had used a lot of internet time. However the next month I made sure I cut way back on my online time and still my bill was for 1800 baht. So last month I cut out almost all internet use and I get a 6000Baht bill! The irony of my bill increasing while my usage is decreasing! I've now given up trying to turn off the internet on my phone and have switched to their unlimited plan. This problem only seems to affect iPhone 2G owners so I'm hoping I won't have this issue when I upgrade to the iPhone 4.

Well unless you are willing to restore and not install any apps and see if theres a leak on that plan you will never know. I am positive that if you did restore, you would see no leakage. Something is on there that is trying to connect even with everything all turned off, I've been through this 3 times and each time I uninstalled apps I stopped leaking. I have sync with mobile me on and edge turned on fulltime on my 2g and have no problems, but I now avoid cydia apps (unless they are really cool) and am careful to look at my usage after installing itunes apps too.

Well unless you are willing to restore and not install any apps and see if theres a leak on that plan you will never know. I am positive that if you did restore, you would see no leakage. Something is on there that is trying to connect even with everything all turned off, I've been through this 3 times and each time I uninstalled apps I stopped leaking. I have sync with mobile me on and edge turned on fulltime on my 2g and have no problems, but I now avoid cydia apps (unless they are really cool) and am careful to look at my usage after installing itunes apps too.

Yes. Restore your phone and get rid of the problem. Monitor your data usage _before_ you install _any_ Cydia apps, and once that works you can install them one at a time, monitoring usage constantly. Cydia apps are the only problem.

If you're receiving emails then make sure to go to preferences -> mail and make sure each account is set to manual. Even if you turn off Push, there's still the option to check for mail every 5, 10, 30 minutes, and that will also eat your minutes (and battery).