Thailand Prepares For Earthquakes

webfact

Ministry names villages facing quakes and announces relief plan

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_5038.jpg

The Natural Resources and Environment Ministry announced yesterday that it was including 1,406 villages in 22 provinces in its national earthquake relief plan.

These villages, located in 308 districts across the country, are situated on Thailand's 13 fault lines. The most worrying faults are in Chiang Rai's Mae Chan district and Kanchanaburi's Si Sawat district, including the one near the Srinakharin Dam.

Minister Suwit Khunkitti called on the public to not panic over the relief plan, saying that the Kingdom was in no way situated on or near the world's major earthquake faults.

The ministry and the Department of Mineral Resources (DMR) are jointly planning to implement a longterm disaster relief plan to cope with possible quakes in the future.

Detailed risk analysis has been done in 192 villages in Kanchanaburi, 174 in Chiang Mai, 134 in Chaing Rai, 83 in Phrae, 54 in Mae Hong Son, 127 in Tak, 68 in Nan, six in Kamphaeng Phet, 37 in Lampang, 56 in Lamphun, 62 in Uttaradit and 56 in Chumphon. Though the ministry has identified 1,406 villages, it says the complete survey is only 40 per cent complete.

"Early announcement of the plan and locations are needed because earthquakes can be devastating, even though they are not as frequent as flash floods and landslides," Suwit added.

As part of another joint project, other natural disasters and relief plans already in place will be studied further.

The first phase of the plan will be implemented in villages in the North and Northeast next year, and in the West, the Central and the South in 2012.

So far, villages in Chiang Rai situated on a major fault line, which was hit by a 6.5 Richterscale quake 2,000 years ago, have been put in the highrisk category, though not yet earmarked for immediate evacuation.

DMR senior official Suwit Khosuwan classified areas in the North leading to the West that were hit by major quakes hundreds of years ago as the "Red Zone". Another red zone is the 155km stretch from Chiang Mai's Fang district, through Chiang Rai's Mae Khong and Mae Chan districts leading to Laos.

Other highrisk areas are Kanchanaburi's Dan Chedi Sam Ong (Three Pagodas) district, which was hit by a 6.4 Richterscale quake around 1,000 years ago, and the Si Sawat district, which was hit by a 7.0 Richterscale quake 7,000 years ago.

An official said the 3.7 Richterscale quake on June 13 had caused a 3.4metre dent in the Srinakharin Dam, though the main structure was still intact and could withstand a 7.0 Richterscale tremor.

Egat will soon evaluate the strength of the Srinakharin dam, as well as the Ratchaprapha Dam in Surat Thani, Sirikit Dam in Uttaradit and Vajiralongkorn Dam in Kanchanaburi.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-26

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An official said the 3.7 Richterscale quake on June 13 had caused a 3.4metre dent in the Srinakharin Dam, though the main structure was still intact and could withstand a 7.0 Richterscale tremor.

That sounds reassuring.... if a 3.7 caused a 3.4m "dent", I can only wonder what a, say 6.7 will to, seeing as it is that it's 1000x stronger...

Run, people, run!

ya, thats why you don't build all of your structures out of concrete.

they are putting up a couple new 10 story dorms and a new hospital here in my town that are all formed concrete. a 5+ shake would take those down with everybody in it. lets hope this is just a stupid scare because all of Thailand is built with concrete.

anyone ever heard of an earthquake in Thailand? i was under the impression its never happened. fault lines don't just pop up.

EDIT: just finished reading that. there was a big quake 2000 years ago. lol.

Edited by vahack

they are putting up a couple new 10 story dorms and a new hospital here in my town that are all formed concrete. even a small shake will take those down with everybody in it. lets hope this is just a stupid scare because all of Thailand is built with concrete.

anyone ever heard of an earthquake in Thailand? i was under the impression its never happened. fault lines don't just pop up.

there was one here in Nan a couple of years back but Nan never makes the news.

An major (or even a minor) earthquake situated anywhere in Thailand would be absolutely devastating. Most newer homes are no longer built using the stilt-based methods, or the "Yai Homes" as the Wife and I call 'em, which I would presume to be safer than those made entirely out of concrete. Planning for a disaster ahead-of-time is a prudent measure.

<br>
<br>An official said the 3.7 Richterscale quake on June 13 had caused a 3.4metre dent in the Srinakharin Dam, though the main structure was still intact and could withstand a 7.0 Richterscale tremor.<br>
<br><br>That sounds reassuring.... if a 3.7 caused a 3.4m "dent", I can only wonder what a, say 6.7 will to, seeing as it is that it's <i>1000x stronger</i>... <br><br><i>Run, people, run!</i><br>
<br><br>Haiti was 7.0, thinking of the building standards in CR, run is the appropriate action<br>

The government cant even get the flood problem under control, despite admitting it happens every year, pretty much like their English plan, they haven't got the basics right before progressing to other less important things like idioms and non-existent earthquakes.

A lot of study with little action, good for the politicians, bad for the people.

Yea, I think that was the one causing the giant Buddha foot print. :jap:

<BR>
<BR>An official said the 3.7 Richterscale quake on June 13 had caused a 3.4metre dent in the Srinakharin Dam, though the main structure was still intact and could withstand a 7.0 Richterscale tremor.<BR>
<BR><BR>That sounds reassuring.... if a 3.7 caused a 3.4m "dent", I can only wonder what a, say 6.7 will to, seeing as it is that it's <I>1000x stronger</I>... <BR><BR><I>Run, people, run!</I><BR>
<BR>I read that and immediately had the same thought,but i must admit I didn;t know about the"1000x stronger".Perhaps they don't know either----no sorry I take that back-have faith my friend--you have the whole ministry behind this with only your safety in mind-HAHAHA

We had a couple of quite noticeable tremors a couple of years ago here in Chiang mai, around Christmas time as i recall, enough to rattle the car port, dislodge a few of the tiles in the Bath room and dislodge the hand basin away from the wall. quite worrying really as i could not sleep properly that night thinking there might be a bigger one to come.

Just glad i did not have a apartment in a condo.

they are putting up a couple new 10 story dorms and a new hospital here in my town that are all formed concrete. a 5+ shake would take those down with everybody in it. lets hope this is just a stupid scare because all of Thailand is built with concrete.

<snip>

http://www.thailandq...ead.php?t=12031

I was there on the 11th floor of a condo in Chiang Mai. December 2006. Kind of reminded me of San Francisco.

Edited by toptuan
Flaming. Let's keep out the insults, OK?

As long as this plan is put into action I think it's a good idea. Doesn't seem to me to make that much of a difference if the dam is built on the fault line or a 1/2 mile away, it's going to break, although I'm not an engineer. I'm seriously considering a large building project, homes and schools, and I've already decided concrete is not going to be a part of the plan, other than pillars or something. An earthquake in or around Bangkok would be disastrous. This cheap design creates slums waiting to happen, or they might just fall before they get to chance. life is cheap, and consequence is not even in the budget.

just a quick edit here, reading about from those that have never heard of an earthquake in Thailand. Just yesterday walking home from the market, I was noticing just how many cracks in the buildings, and walls and gates etc. anything made of something that is not flexible has a crack. We don't feel everything the earth does, but take a look at the buildings. what's with all the cracks?

Edited by gr8fldanielle

Nice posts, gentlemen. <br>Sometimes, I wonder how close to the edges of our seats we should sit with all of this <i>we are doomed</i> psychology. Reminds me of a pharmaceutical giant producing a remedy for some disease that has not-yet manifested itself.<br>At the least, Bangkok will, most likely, be secure inasmuch as it's swampy fundament may provide a buffer to most seismic disturbances.<br><br>

There are about 200+ earthquakes every week.

Earthquakes have always been more commonplace than most people realise. The amount of earthquakes each week is quite amazing, particularly when you see them all marked out on a global map.

Take a look here...http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/

<br>As long as this plan is put into action I think it's a good idea. Doesn't seem to me to make that much of a difference if the dam is built on the fault line or a 1/2 mile away, it's going to break, although I'm not an engineer. I'm seriously considering a large building project, homes and schools, and I've already decided concrete is not going to be a part of the plan, other than pillars or something. An earthquake in or around Bangkok would be disastrous. This cheap design creates slums waiting to happen, or they might just fall before they get to chance. life is cheap, and consequence is not even in the budget.<br><br>just a quick edit here, reading about from those that have never heard of an earthquake in Thailand. Just yesterday walking home from the market, I was noticing just how many cracks in the buildings, and walls and gates etc. anything made of something that is not flexible has a crack. We don't feel everything the earth does, but take a look at the buildings. <i><b>what's with all the cracks?</b></i><br>
<br><br>Cheap concrete/cement used, along with cheap labor, so someone could put some extra money in their pockets.  <br><br>Just for amusement, there really is a very old Buddhist text that "claims" that this year BKK will "sink beneath the ocean and be no more."  Now THAT, IMHO, would be GREAT!  Especially if ALL the politicians just happened to be sitting in Parliament when it does. lol <br>

<BR>ya, thats why you don't build all of your structures out of concrete. <BR><BR>they are putting up a couple new 10 story dorms and a new hospital here in my town that are all formed concrete. a 5+ shake would take those down with everybody in it. lets hope this is just a stupid scare because all of Thailand is built with concrete.<BR><BR>anyone ever heard of an earthquake in Thailand? i was under the impression its never happened. fault lines don't just pop up.<BR><BR>EDIT: just finished reading that. there was a big quake 2000 years ago. lol.<BR>

Haven't heard of fault lines in Thaialnd until now. Interesting though. My neck of the woods has been effected by after shock tremors coming from quakes that have happened in mainland China and the last one I know of had an epicenter approximately 1,500kms north of Chiang Rai. Our house is concrete/cement, hard wood and teak wood. The house is four years old and last year that shake gave us our first cracks in the concrete downstairs walls, some were quite long but not wide, only hairline. My wife and I pay particular notice of them more so now, if they decide to grow.

edit: &lt;deleted&gt; is going on with the weird code showing up in the forum posts?

Edited by Garry

<br>An major (or even a minor) earthquake situated anywhere in Thailand would be absolutely devastating.  Most newer homes are no longer built using the stilt-based methods, or the "Yai Homes" as the Wife and I call 'em, which I would presume to be safer than those made entirely out of concrete.  Planning for a disaster ahead-of-time is a prudent measure.<br>
<br><br>I experienced a rather strong local quake in Chiang Mai a couple of years ago. I've been told later that it wasn't that powerful but that it happened very close to the surface, probable reason for the strong shaking and loud noise. Well it was enough to send all the poeple of the moobaan running out of their home. It was a brand new project. Given my personal presumption that cheap techniques are often used in construction here I went looking for damage at the house. To my surprise I couldn't find a single crack or other sign of damage anywhere in the house.<br>

<BR>An major (or even a minor) earthquake situated anywhere in Thailand would be absolutely devastating.  Most newer homes are no longer built using the stilt-based methods, or the "Yai Homes" as the Wife and I call 'em, which I would presume to be safer than those made entirely out of concrete.  Planning for a disaster ahead-of-time is a prudent measure.<BR>
<BR><BR>I like the old fashioned Thai houses made from Timber, they have style to them. They have phased out building these type of houses because of the trememndous costs.<BR><BR>

I can remember three earthquakes in my 16 years in Chiangmai. One, at 4.1, shook the park I was in at the time (opposite Phuping Police Station), and sent my Bangkaew dog ballistic (luckily he was on a lead, or I'd never have seen him again). Another, at 5.1, caused some damage to buildings out at Mae Jo. And of course, if you want to look back into history, there was the one which destroyed Chedi Luang in 1545 or thereabouts.

Decdember 13, 2006 Chiang Mai 5.1 did no, zero zip nothing damage. :o

yah...tell that to my friend with his 35 million baht house... his pool cracked so bad that all the water ran out.. his rear entryway dropped about 1/2 in and there are still major cracks visible in his 14 foot high walls and ceilings....

<br>As long as this plan is put into action I think it's a good idea. Doesn't seem to me to make that much of a difference if the dam is built on the fault line or a 1/2 mile away, it's going to break, although I'm not an engineer. I'm seriously considering a large building project, homes and schools, and I've already decided concrete is not going to be a part of the plan, other than pillars or something. An earthquake in or around Bangkok would be disastrous. This cheap design creates slums waiting to happen, or they might just fall before they get to chance. life is cheap, and consequence is not even in the budget.<br><br>just a quick edit here, reading about from those that have never heard of an earthquake in Thailand. Just yesterday walking home from the market, I was noticing just how many cracks in the buildings, and walls and gates etc. anything made of something that is not flexible has a crack. We don't feel everything the earth does, but take a look at the buildings. <i><b>what's with all the cracks?</b></i><br>
<br><br>Cheap concrete/cement used, along with cheap labor, so someone could put some extra money in their pockets.  <br><br>Just for amusement, there really is a very old Buddhist text that "claims" that this year BKK will "sink beneath the ocean and be no more."  Now THAT, IMHO, would be GREAT!  Especially if ALL the politicians just happened to be sitting in Parliament when it does. lol <br>

Fortunately you are only just one voice, and i find what that voice resonates quite disturbing. I have a lot of friends in Bangkok, and even if I didn't, the suffering would be hard to imagine. On the other hand, if everybody on the planet was taken right out of the picture, including you, and me of course, I wouldn't have a problem. But to say; let one area be destroyed because of the satisfaction or enjoyment you would get from the event is not something I would post. Do you really want people to think of you that way? <_<

If there is a fault line , even a minor one, anywhere around here, it cannot be in Thailand.....because there are too many thousands of Thais running around sayin, its not my fault.

:whistling:

Edited by ThePunPun

Decdember 13, 2006 Chiang Mai 5.1 did no, zero zip nothing damage. :o

yah...tell that to my friend with his 35 million baht house... his pool cracked so bad that all the water ran out.. his rear entryway dropped about 1/2 in and there are still major cracks visible in his 14 foot high walls and ceilings....

Poor chap... Guess if he can afford a 35 million Bht house, he can afford the repairs!!!!!!!

thats why you don't build all of your structures out of concrete. <br><br>they are putting up a couple new 10 story dorms and a new hospital here in my town that are all formed concrete. a 5+ shake would take those down with everybody in it. lets hope this is just a stupid scare because all of Thailand is built with concrete. anyone ever heard of an earthquake in Thailand? i was under the impression its never happened. fault lines don't just pop up. EDIT: just finished reading that. there was a big quake 2000 years ago. lol.

Actually, when I lived in Chiangmai, wife and I experienced a rolling earthquake -- in 2001.

An earthquake measuring 4.6 on the Richter scale shook Mae Sariang,

southwest of Chiangmai, one midnight in early July [2001]. There were no

reports of casualties, but some isolated reports that the tremor was felt in

central Chiangmai.

It is 6 years since a 'quake of the same intensity shook central Chiangmai in the early hours of the morning, dislodging plaster from a tall hotel building and prompting mass evacuations. No injuries were reported.

Source: Good Morning Chiangmai

Edited by ChefHeat

Earthquakes in BKK have a cushion of silt and mud as BKK is built on a flood plain. But the outter areas are hard core and at some time, 'may' be subject to quakes. If the doomsday pundits have anything to do with it, Dec 23 2012 will send a wall of water a kilometre high inland over BKK in to Tak and Chiang Mai unless we are all up in Khao Yai or Mae hong Son due to plate shifts and planet alignments. Maybe the Govt has been listening to the fortune tellers thus decided to do a 'study' into possible earthquakes. I wonder how much the study cost and who got the team money? But if 2012 comes good we won't have to worry about the earthquakes, just have the concrete in place as anchors for the rescue boats if ever!

unsure.gif