Shouldn't The Government Protect The People?

frenchFARANGbkk

Hi,

Today, again, I witnessed a road accident.

I'm wondering if it is a western idea to think that a government is guilty to let the people go to death if this government doesn't teach them how to drive (driving license in Thailand is really a joke) and do not have any campaign about the road risk.

I see adults here driving as an 18 years old kid who just got his license would be driving in France.

When I speak with thai (mostly highly educated with good jobs) about the danger of driving so fast in the city, they seem not to understand what I mean (90 kmh downtown dangerous? Why?!).

So, what's the problem, isn't 15000 death (at least) every year not enough? What is the government waiting for?

Just would like to understand. Thanks.

Hi,

Today, again, I witnessed a road accident.

I'm wondering if it is a western idea to think that a government is guilty to let the people go to death if this government doesn't teach them how to drive (driving license in Thailand is really a joke) and do not have any campaign about the road risk.

I see adults here driving as an 18 years old kid who just got his license would be driving in France.

When I speak with thai (mostly highly educated with good jobs) about the danger of driving so fast in the city, they seem not to understand what I mean (90 kmh downtown dangerous? Why?!).

So, what's the problem, isn't 15000 death (at least) every year not enough? What is the government waiting for?

speed, alcohol.immaturity failure to wear seat belts and 11 in the back of a back up truck.

No ISO ratings on helmets or enforcement of road rules and no compulsory toddler child restraints.

I had the pleasure of after returning from a celebration last night of having to make the daily trip and and start the process of repatriation of another 2 under 20's who with no licence. Had a head on with their motor cycles again another fault why do Thai authorities allow renters to rent same to unlicesed people.

Imagine the the fine in your country.

Love Hurts but speed travels faster I could add to this but we wont encourage a copyright come slander war.

What about those policemen in bangkok that jump into the road and right hand turns to fine you for turning right on a motorbike - which is seemingly illegal if there are three lanes.

I saw one guy try to dodge a policeman, the cop stepped out and grabbed the PASSENGER and pulled him off the back of the bike killing him.

The prob. is that the police who are responsible for enforcing the laws are more intrested in personal revenue opportuntities than law enforcement.

The system cannot be improved whilst Thailand has a corrupt law enforcement system.

Next time you have to wait at the Vehicle Bureau, take a look at the videos they are showing in the waiting room. There are 2 major mistakes I can remember seeing out of so many .

Motorcyclists are instructed to signal a turn with the RIGHT arm, the one that controls throttle and brake. :o

Car drivers are also instructed to stick their arm out to signal a turn. :D With the width of most lanes in busy areas, I d never let a bus drive off with mine...

They still have a lot to learn and correct . How many times to you drive up to a closed lane with concrete barricades at high speed on a highway where the signs should have been installed a few hundred meters back.

There is also a dangerous lack of courtesy and preventive driving from too many drivers. The fact that there are no policemen actually driving around pulling over drivers commiting infractions doesn't help. The work they do on the sidewalks is totally useless in making Thai roads any safer, apart from enforcing helmets.

Shouldn't The Government Protect The People?

Not when "the people" could and should protect themselves.

An idiot proof society is a society for idiots.

Well put Curt! As a friend of mine, who believes in God, says, "It's God's way of getting rid of stupid people." I look at it as natural selection. I am a firefighter here in America and the multitude of laws and governmental controls don't stop stupid people from doing stupid things. The only problem is that they usually end up hurting some innocent person who is doing everything right and safely.