Speedboats collision on Koh Samui, Thailand

womble

Cripes!

One of the boats was the same one that overturned 5 years ago resulting in some tourist deaths.

"It collided with another speedboat, Sawasdi Chalermchoke Nawa5, which was taking 39 passengers from Koh Samui to Koh Pha-ngan."

"The Sawasdi Chalermchoke Nawa 5 capsized on Jan 25, 2005, while taking tourists from a full-moon party on Koh Pha-ngan. Fifteen passengers drowned in the accident. Police said the boat sank because it was overloaded." (Bkk Post)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a couple of interesting quotes:

"Preecha Chorsuwannachart, a passenger on board the Sawasdi Chalermchoke Nawa5, said the boat travelled at high speed and did not have its signal lights switched on.

Police said the licence for the Sawasdi Chalermchoke Nawa 5 has expired and not been renewed and it also has no insurance documents.

The Sawasdi Chalermchoke Nawa 5 capsized on Jan 25, 2005, while taking tourists from a full-moon party on Koh Pha-ngan. Fifteen passengers drowned in the accident. Police said the boat sank because it was overloaded."

Amazing how corruption works here...I bet the driver was jacked on yaba...just like many of the bus drivers here...would be nice if they did drug testing like in other countries...but again, corruption takes it's toll...

This probably isn't the place for this, but I figured I would get best feedback in a timely manner.

I'm scheduled to take the ferry from Samui to Ko Tao on wednesday. I'm going with Seatran Discovery and returning the following week with Lompraya. Is this a dangerous time to be going? is the sea rough? are these companies more reputable than the ones mentioned above? I'm going with 2 small kids 1 and 3... Is the weather really bad?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

First off it isn't a "Full Moon Drug Party"

It is a giant dance party, but drugs are there, maybe a subtile difference, but a real one.

Oh come on, there is really no substantial nor subtle difference in calling the Koh Pangan Full Moon Party a drug party where many people dance or a dance party where many people take drugs. Without the drugs there would be no internationally known monthly event whether it be in Koh Phangan, Goa, Reichoort, or countless other locations intent upon the same theme: that theme being to get intoxicated one way or another with there being at least one other readily available alternative to alcohol.

I disagree,

the majority of people I know who have gone to FMP 90% have gone for the dancing,

and the many DJ's on display. Most expected to drink some, and that's the majority

not going because other drugs are available there.

This probably isn't the place for this, but I figured I would get best feedback in a timely manner.

I'm scheduled to take the ferry from Samui to Ko Tao on wednesday. I'm going with Seatran Discovery and returning the following week with Lompraya. Is this a dangerous time to be going? is the sea rough? are these companies more reputable than the ones mentioned above? I'm going with 2 small kids 1 and 3... Is the weather really bad?

It's rainy season, but the Seatran and Lompraya boats are seaworth in all but the worst typoons.

This accident is on the large fiberglass outboard motor speed boats, not large slow boats.

The big ones have preper navigation equipment and such. ANY trip at sea has more danger than staying in your home.

But I'd guess it's far far below the motorcycle driving accident rate on Samui to take Seatran.

Ah, it is now reported in the British press, that

the 2 missing people are, off course, the boat drivers...

No one died, the drivers took off,

hoping to not be beaten to death by an angrey crowd.

Which has been known to happen here.

Same same.

Is the second reported tragedy (plus several unreported accidents) caused by speedboats bringing people to the Full Moon Party from Koh Samui.

The whole speed boat system is controlled by the local small mafia and the old wooden speedboats overcrowded by passenger are driven by young skippers without any proper preparation or sea knowledge, most of time high on yabaa and alcohol, always full throttle to make more runs and get more $$$$$.

Mr Kao in KPG is owner of 3 25/30 mt boat but those boat made only few trips.

IMHO the local Coast Guard or whoever in charge of the maritime safety should not allow this kind of speedboats to cross the strait between KPG and Samui and leave the job to the big, slow boat only.

But money rules...

Nothing but rant, anguid.... sorry for the victims - as someone else wrote "A hel_l of a storm" the accident appeared to happen just 3 k'licks off the haad rin coast.... ist (approx.) 1/3 of the distance... and disaster stroke - a hel_l of a storm with heavy lightning, thunder nd heavy donwpours, very low visibilty, can't drive these boats slowly, the become unmanagaeable, very, very strong gust's involved too...so go an figure NOTHING to do with "Mafia"...drugs, alcohol, yes there might be some elements, some, but it's by far NOT the majority - this is painting a distorted picture of the people and businesses which are trying to do their best and this is the MAJORITY!

they hit a parked speed boat with no lights on it. also the travel agency conviently closed which made it hard to do a number count. probably because the boats were over loaded. as for the yaa baa andachole. that is a un proven accusation.

Edited by BigC

following remarks we have got from friends we have decided to answer this thread.

Pethcerat Marina is the largest speed boat on samui. the captains of this company go through a very intensive training program and are very experienced.

the Pethcerat Company works closely with the marine police in Samui on regular basis because we regard safety as a first priority and specially on full moon nights when each boat is examined for load and inspected by the marine police. and any one who has been on our pier can vouch for that FACT!!!

the boats are not allowed to depart before they are examined for safety and that all passengers are wearing life jackets.. we do so because we believe that it the only way to assure the passengers safety. each captain has a qualified captain license the boat registration and the boat insurance papers. every boat that has any mechanical problem is rejected and not allowed to travel. the Suggestion that the captains are a group of hooligans with no experience running on yaba or alcohol is nothing short of defamation and just plain lie!!! the incident of last night is a terrible incident where a boat from sea breeze traveling with no license, no insurance and passengers with no life jackets collided with the petcherat Boat. At the time of the incident the water was not stormy and visibility was good as it was a full moon . The storm that prevented boats traveling before was clear .. and the captain along with marine police has determined that he can run the boat safely.. however Petcherat Captain could not see the sea breeze boat as it was running with out lights. The Pethcerat boat has suffered the impact on the left hand side providing further evidence that the sea breeze captain did not give right of way or pass to the right under marine laws. When the incident was reported. Petcherat other boats that were parked in koh phangan as well marine police boats along with private boat owners in petcherat Marina were first on the scene rescuing the injured and scouting the water to make sure that all those involved were rescued. the petcherat Marina team advised the emergency services and samui rescue to come to marina and assist in transporting the injured to hospitals. all the hospitals were notified and prepared for the arrival on the injured.. and this was done in less then an hour from the moment of impact. the Samui chief of marine police and harbor department was on the petcherat boat and was injured and witnessed and reported the facts as above.

Pethcerat Team have been to the hospital to visit the injured and offered any help they can to assist and support those injured in the time of need.. the Captain in the incident has been interviewed and questioned both by the police and the marine police as well as the other captain of the sea breeze boat. they did not run away they did not disappear!!!!! the gave full account of what happened to the authorities.

Pethcerat Company is not "mafia " or influential owned. as may other speed boat companies in samui.. it is owned and operated by hard working people who have invested many years in making this company the leading company in samui. Pethcerat Marina regrets that this terrible incident has happened and is doing everything with the authorities to learn and advise so as it will not happen again.

Petcherat Marina is sorry that this incident has, while happened and addressed properly, was the target of some members on this forum who while using anonymity cast a shadow on the speed boat companies that are operating in professional way. and regrets to see some of the postings on this board that were made by those who have no idea of the facts.

Since this board is very popular an important source of information to members and non members it is also expected that there will be some responsibility for posts and not speculative flaming remarks specially when this terrible incident has such public impact. we truly regret that some members on this forum have decided to use this terrible incident to defame and make baseless accusations.

We invir those of you who are truely interested in this matter to come to the marina and get first hand explanations and details.

Sounds like the boats were overloaded, hope we have no more deaths.

I have been trying to contact a friend I think was on one of the boats, no luck yet.:huh:

a nasty accident,where was the safety issue among the drivers,thailand or not their must have being something.hope all the passengers are ok

I record what Pethcerat Marina said and I can agree they are professional.

For what I write in my post I never mention Petcherat and if readers can understand I was talking specifically of them, I apologize.

But let me say that, from my point of view, many speedboats operating during Full Moon Party are driven by non-professional skippers, many times driving under the effect of some substance.

This from my personal experience.

Seatran is fine. Professionally run. A far cry from the little speed boats that go to and fro on the night of the full moon party. These are also much bigger boats in any case, and they won't go if the weather isn't safe.

Thai crash boat linked to 2005 fatal capsize

By South East Asia correspondent Zoe Daniel

Updated 1 hour 27 minutes ago

Full moon crash: seven Australians were hurt in Saturday's collision (Reuters)

The Sawasdi Chalermchoke Nawa 5 sank off Koh Samui five years ago, killing more than a dozen people who were returning from the famous full moon beach party.

The ABC has now confirmed with maritime safety officials that the same boat was one of those involved in a crash between two vessels in the same area on the way to the same party on Saturday.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/28/2939228.htm

Edited by harrry

following remarks we have got from friends we have decided to answer this thread.

Pethcerat Marina is the largest speed boat on samui. the captains of this company go through a very intensive training program and are very experienced.

the Pethcerat Company works closely with the marine police in Samui on regular basis because we regard safety as a first priority and specially on full moon nights when each boat is examined for load and inspected by the marine police. and any one who has been on our pier can vouch for that FACT!!!

the boats are not allowed to depart before they are examined for safety and that all passengers are wearing life jackets.. we do so because we believe that it the only way to assure the passengers safety. each captain has a qualified captain license the boat registration and the boat insurance papers. every boat that has any mechanical problem is rejected and not allowed to travel. the Suggestion that the captains are a group of hooligans with no experience running on yaba or alcohol is nothing short of defamation and just plain lie!!! the incident of last night is a terrible incident where a boat from sea breeze traveling with no license, no insurance and passengers with no life jackets collided with the petcherat Boat. At the time of the incident the water was not stormy and visibility was good as it was a full moon . The storm that prevented boats traveling before was clear .. and the captain along with marine police has determined that he can run the boat safely.. however Petcherat Captain could not see the sea breeze boat as it was running with out lights. The Pethcerat boat has suffered the impact on the left hand side providing further evidence that the sea breeze captain did not give right of way or pass to the right under marine laws. When the incident was reported. Petcherat other boats that were parked in koh phangan as well marine police boats along with private boat owners in petcherat Marina were first on the scene rescuing the injured and scouting the water to make sure that all those involved were rescued. the petcherat Marina team advised the emergency services and samui rescue to come to marina and assist in transporting the injured to hospitals. all the hospitals were notified and prepared for the arrival on the injured.. and this was done in less then an hour from the moment of impact. the Samui chief of marine police and harbor department was on the petcherat boat and was injured and witnessed and reported the facts as above.

Pethcerat Team have been to the hospital to visit the injured and offered any help they can to assist and support those injured in the time of need.. the Captain in the incident has been interviewed and questioned both by the police and the marine police as well as the other captain of the sea breeze boat. they did not run away they did not disappear!!!!! the gave full account of what happened to the authorities.

Pethcerat Company is not "mafia " or influential owned. as may other speed boat companies in samui.. it is owned and operated by hard working people who have invested many years in making this company the leading company in samui. Pethcerat Marina regrets that this terrible incident has happened and is doing everything with the authorities to learn and advise so as it will not happen again.

Petcherat Marina is sorry that this incident has, while happened and addressed properly, was the target of some members on this forum who while using anonymity cast a shadow on the speed boat companies that are operating in professional way. and regrets to see some of the postings on this board that were made by those who have no idea of the facts.

Since this board is very popular an important source of information to members and non members it is also expected that there will be some responsibility for posts and not speculative flaming remarks specially when this terrible incident has such public impact. we truly regret that some members on this forum have decided to use this terrible incident to defame and make baseless accusations.

We invir those of you who are truely interested in this matter to come to the marina and get first hand explanations and details.

so as your a re properly registered company i take it that all your passengers are inssurred and are not looking at big hopital bills. if so. i think you should make a statement to the paper to clear your company name.

if this is the case then it shows that your company is a well established company and ok in the short term u might lose a few baht but from a business point of view. The publicity will probably pay itself off. If you cover your passengers hosp. bills then i would be happy to use your company. if not then i know that if i am sitting on a boat and a crash happens that is not my fault then no matter how sorry or how well registered the company is. faniccially i am screwed. all the best

• Like 2

Seatran is fine. Professionally run. A far cry from the little speed boats that go to and fro on the night of the full moon party. These are also much bigger boats in any case, and they won't go if the weather isn't safe.

there is nothing wrong with speed boat taxis as long as they are safe and there is a demand for them. sea tran don't run on the hr all night for full moon. so that increases demand for speed boats. Which there is nothing wrong with them. we live obn a island everything or nearly everything come here boat business. like the road there is always 1 nutter out there who opens up the way for potensial crash.

I took a speedboat from Samui over to the full moon party. We left in the middle of the storm, and the journey was terrifying! You presume that as they're still running it must be safe, but it wasn't. Several people were hurt just from hitting heads etc from the boats movement. Someone further up wrote that the boats where suspended for an hour, well some definitely were not!

You were fortunate, that time. In Thailand, there is limited enforcement of safety regulations, unless the vessel is operated by foreigners and even then it is sketchy.

As you were able to understand the choppy sea and weather conditions were dangerous, then you assessed the risk and willingly assumed that risk. Had an unfortunate ebent occurred, you would have accepted full responsibility for your decision to embark, right?

Yes, I would have taken full responsibility. Not being of a 'do what I want then sue everybody' disposition, I fully understand that no-one made me get on that boat, and therefore no one else is to blame. I simply meant my post as a reply to all of the people claiming the boats wouldn't run, are perfectly safe etc. They are not! But then, neither is crossing the road.

I have read through all 4 pages. Needless to say how sorry I am for all involved...

Perhaps a slightly different angle on the variation of the safety on water in Thailand.

I live virtually on the beach and every day can observe as well as experience the blunt criminal disregard of all maritime rules and laws by operators of numerous recreation watercraft. The TIT explanation does not apply in these matters, because the MARITIME laws are International and apply to Thailand. Water jet scooters, speed boats, towed banana boats and motorised fishing boats operate within 10-20m from the sandy beaches with people swimming in water. Thai maritime authorities NEVER enforce any laws. There have been 'accidents', some fatal due to this. Nobody sees these as accidents waiting to happen. I may be off the topic, but maybe this is a bigger picture, related to the topic?

so as your a re properly registered company i take it that all your passengers are inssurred and are not looking at big hopital bills. if so. i think you should make a statement to the paper to clear your company name.

if this is the case then it shows that your company is a well established company and ok in the short term u might lose a few baht but from a business point of view. The publicity will probably pay itself off. If you cover your passengers hosp. bills then i would be happy to use your company. if not then i know that if i am sitting on a boat and a crash happens that is not my fault then no matter how sorry or how well registered the company is. faniccially i am screwed. all the best

yes we do have passengers insurance and yes the insurance company has taken care of every person that was on our boat. and yes we are working closely with the insurance company to make sure that all the people on our boat are addressed...

yes we do have passengers insurance and yes the insurance company has taken care of every person that was on our boat. and yes we are working closely with the insurance company to make sure that all the people on our boat are addressed...

Thanks for this information.

It puts your company in a good light. Were passengers in the other boat covered too?