Eva Air: What Are Your Opinions Of This Airline?

syd barrett

:realangry:Not a lot being said about Air India mmmmmmmm maybe that is because of their safety records, I was looking at them recently, EVA not in top 10 but good, India and China Airways in worst 10. One thing which is a worry is this KINGFISHER in the top 10 for safety, fly from LHR at 2100 exactly the same time as Air India which makes me think they are sharing the flight and whose plane and crew do you get?

:realangry:Not a lot being said about Air India mmmmmmmm maybe that is because of their safety records, I was looking at them recently, EVA not in top 10 but good, India and China Airways in worst 10. One thing which is a worry is this KINGFISHER in the top 10 for safety, fly from LHR at 2100 exactly the same time as Air India which makes me think they are sharing the flight and whose plane and crew do you get?

New airline, no incidents = top 10. I checked and Kingfisher operate the flight themselves, codeshare due with BA but don't think it will be on LHR-Bangkok route but to other European cities from India.

I have flown economy with both EVA and Thai in the last year on the LHR to BKK route and think EVA is better by a fair margin. Both of these airlines hve better seat pitch than the other direct flights on this route by BA and QANTAS. The only negative thing I've noticed in the last few years is that EVA seem less generous with the drinks than in the past - right down to a glass rather than mini-bottle or can.

They are good, I have used them for my last few trips to Bangkok.

In fact they went above and beyond the last time I left Bangkok which was 19th May 2010, the day the army stormed the red shirts demonstration areas.

I had been on an overstay as my flight was delayed due to the volcano cancellations. In fact it had been cancelled twice due to no fly zones in the UK, when I originally rebooked my flight the replacement was on the second bout of cancellations. The flight they offered me was three weeks later which was well into an overstay - I didn't mind at the time so I took it - had I phoned back earlier I could have rebooked but I chose not to do this and took the extra three weeks instead. The supervisor from the checkin desk came with me through immigration and argued my case in Thai with three or four of the officials - she spent about one and a half hours there with me talking to these immigration people.

They wanted to fine me 10,500 Bt, they were studying my travel history over the previous couple of months, I mentioned the ministry announcements I had seen on Thai Visa which referred to an extension beyond the original May 31st deadline. Phone calls were made to other Immigration departments, and the airline booking office, etc. They were jabbering away in Thai for ages, for most of it I had no idea what they were talking about and just sat there watching them. I said to them 'if I have to pay, then I have to pay. But from the announcements I have read from the ministry they say I don't need to pay'.

In the end I ended up paying nothing. In truth I didn't really care either way but obviously I would rather not spend this money if I didn't have to.

My only gripe with them is that the flight leaves Bangkok early in the afternoon whereas most other airlines offer overnight flights - obviously it's better to have an overnight flight so you can sleep more easily.

They use modern Boeing 777's with multi channel seat back entertainment.

I appreciate the feedback. Is food/drink up to standard? I like a few beers/spirits before I try to grab some sleep.

What is the legroom like on the 777's?

Thanks.

The 777 has a 3+3+3 seating arrangement. Do not get an aisle seat as all four aisle seats in each row in Economy have this box affair that seriously interferes with your leg room. You can just about get a foot either side of it when you stretch out. I'd sooner travel by the good old Jumbo any day. Apart from that and the small baggage allowance it was not a bad flight. My breakfast and dinner meals contained neither salt nor pepper!

Yesterday I went online to look at prices for round trip from Chiang Mai to LA. Thai Air = 98,480 for ECONOMY. EVA = LESS than 60,000 for EMERALD Class. Don't have to be a rocket scientist or business major to figure that one out.

The seat pitch in economy is 34 inches and in economy delux is 38 inches. That 4 inches makes a big difference.

I agree completly. I always go enhanced economy and I usually take a few strolls to the back of the plane during the flight. Very noticeable especially when the plane is full. Of course it costs more but well worth it IMO if you find the cost of Business Class daunting.

The actual difference is 5 inches. Economy seat pitch is 33inches. :)

Edited by salty