Your Opinion Of Phuket

grumpyoldman

From someone whose never lived here and whose points are clearly biased.. UK and Thai educations systems about a draw ?? TV (who cares) about a draw ?? Even crime.. Where my mother lives she doesnt lock her doors when she goes out, a burglary in the village would be a talking point for ages, here almost everyone I know with a freestanding home has had a break in, bodies turning up in suitcases, rapes etc.. Having a bias is all well and good but it should stick to reality.

As to the taxes paid it sort of ignores the fact you make money there, real money, the kind of money that allows you to go live elsewhere.. Every year I was in the UK I make money, in asia every year I spend money.. I only visited the uk and the business and opportunities easy ways to make money was so refreshing, it got me all fired up about work until I thought about :) complaining about taxes to make money, when Thailand you dont make money, its kinda blinkered.

Everybody's points (including mine and yours) are biased, that's why it is his/hers opinion.

For your information: I don't lock the doors (freestanding home in Rawai) when I go out for a bit.

Edited by stevenl

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody's points (including mine and yours) are biased, that's why it is his/hers opinion.

Sure but theres opinion.. And being factually wrong..

Thai schooling v uk schooling.. About a draw ?? I mean come on lets be honest now.

I find it kinda comical, that so many retires and expats with western incomes and savings, like to be so critical of the countries that essentially educated them, gave them the skills, income, and savings.. That enables them to come to Thailand and criticise the place where they made all that cash. I mean, they would hardly rather be born an average Thai, trapped in this country, little chance of ever leaving it, etc etc etc.

Sure but theres opinion.. And being factually wrong..

Thai schooling v uk schooling.. About a draw ?? I mean come on lets be honest now.

I find it kinda comical, that so many retires and expats with western incomes and savings, like to be so critical of the countries that essentially educated them, gave them the skills, income, and savings.. That enables them to come to Thailand and criticise the place where they made all that cash. I mean, they would hardly rather be born an average Thai, trapped in this country, little chance of ever leaving it, etc etc etc.

Sorry about the fluorescent font colour in my previous post - it came out rather different than I expected!

I don't know which parts you see as factually wrong, given that I simply offered opinions.

Education is not a draw, and I didn't say it was. What I said is that depending on where you live, UK education may or may not be better. Let me be even clearer - I would rather send my son to an international school in Phuket than one of the state schools in my catchment area. Some UK schools are terrific; some are truly dreadful.

As for the UK educating me, giving me skills, income and savings: my parents showed me the value of education and so I took advantage of getting a scholarship to a local grammar school. I got a job and have worked all my life, learning skills, earning and saving out of what the tax system left me. I paid my own way through university as a mature student, thereby learning new skills. I employ 127 people, thereby generating more tax revenue. The UK gave/gives me nothing: I work hard, within the confines of the law, to achieve what is important to me and to my family. Everything I receive from the state is bought and paid for.

As for being born poor in Thailand - I was born poor and have worked hard to enjoy the good things, give my mother a comfortable old age and ensure that my children have an easier time than I had. I make no apology for any of this. And why should I not criticise the bad things about the UK - or Thailand, for that matter?

As I thought I'd made clear, my opinion is only my opinion. I'm not blinkered to the bad points of Phuket, but my lifestyle choice (as soon as I can actually put it into practice) is based on a preference of Phuket over anywhere else in the world.

Education is not a draw, and I didn't say it was. What I said is that depending on where you live, UK education may or may not be better. Let me be even clearer - I would rather send my son to an international school in Phuket than one of the state schools in my catchment area. Some UK schools are terrific; some are truly dreadful.

Ahh your comparing the private schools v the government schools..

As for the UK educating me, giving me skills, income and savings: my parents showed me the value of education and so I took advantage of getting a scholarship to a local grammar school. I got a job and have worked all my life, learning skills, earning and saving out of what the tax system left me. I paid my own way through university as a mature student, thereby learning new skills. I employ 127 people, thereby generating more tax revenue. The UK gave/gives me nothing: I work hard, within the confines of the law, to achieve what is important to me and to my family. Everything I receive from the state is bought and paid for.

The west gives you opportunity.. Where hard work is rewarded, where laws at least try to be applied pretty equally.. Try being born poor in Thailand, or elsewhere in the 3rd world, and see if you can get a scholarship to start you on the road to being a successful business owner, the percentages are not good. I was born in the west, and was lucky enough to start a biz in my 20's that let me retire in my 20's, I too employed 100's of men, spread all across mainland europe, paying 100's of 1000's euros taxes a month, and am extremely thankful that I was lucky enough to be born there. Yes I paid taxes, but those taxes are part of the system that enables such wealth creation. Making money and getting ahead is so much easier in the west, that why theres such long lines at the visa applications offices.

Just strikes me as ironic when I meet so many people (not just you, this is something I see all the time) so happy to put down, the very place which allows them to gain the wealth to come and spend it in the developing world, where so few opportunities exist, that in turn means cheap labour, cheap servants and services (and attentive women) from people that didnt have our opportunities.

Ahh your comparing the private schools v the government schools..

The west gives you opportunity.. Where hard work is rewarded, where laws at least try to be applied pretty equally.. Try being born poor in Thailand, or elsewhere in the 3rd world, and see if you can get a scholarship to start you on the road to being a successful business owner, the percentages are not good. I was born in the west, and was lucky enough to start a biz in my 20's that let me retire in my 20's, I too employed 100's of men, spread all across mainland europe, paying 100's of 1000's euros taxes a month, and am extremely thankful that I was lucky enough to be born there. Yes I paid taxes, but those taxes are part of the system that enables such wealth creation. Making money and getting ahead is so much easier in the west, that why theres such long lines at the visa applications offices.

Just strikes me as ironic when I meet so many people (not just you, this is something I see all the time) so happy to put down, the very place which allows them to gain the wealth to come and spend it in the developing world, where so few opportunities exist, that in turn means cheap labour, cheap servants and services (and attentive women) from people that didnt have our opportunities.

Very interesting turn of the thread.................good discussion.

Sorry (particularly to LivinLOS) - I did originally reply point by point to your post at 16.54 but it seems to have disappeared into the ether. Suffice it to say, I think you misunderstand me: you say I'm putting down the very country that gave me everything and that I had more opportunities than someone growing up in Thailand.

My original point was simply that while many people are criticising Phuket (and with good cause) it actually compares very favourably in many respects with the UK. I don't know which country you come from, LivinLOS - perhaps it's different there. I don't say that everything is bigger/shinier/nicer etc in Phuket, but that in my opinion I would rather be in Phuket for a variety of reasons.

And which is more ironic - me criticising my country and opining that I would like to live in Phuket, or you extolling the virtues of the country you left and criticising the one in which you choose to live?

I would still like to know where you can buy a seafood meal in Phuket for 40 baht???? that is blatantly not possile.

Any noodle stall (noodle soup with one of the following; prawn/squid/fishballs).

wow KB you sure are easy pleased and simple but honestly ,do you really call noodle soup with fishballs or a prawn or piece of squid a seafood meal? :blink:

I suspect there is much of Phuket that many residents and regular visitors of Patong and Phuket do not know exist here. Of the respondents here I wonder how many have made it up to Khaoo Phrya Taao National Park and the waterfalls, or walked the deserted beaches of Nai Yang, Bang Tao, or Mai Khao, or mountain biked around Bang Wad dam, or up Radar Hill, or ridden a off road motorcycle through the jungles east of the many beach towns, or watched the sunset from the windmill at Promthep Cape as the remote control gliders and paragliders get in their last flight of the day, or had dinner from one of the beach restaurants on Rawaii Beach, or explored the Sino-Portuguese architecture and temples of old-Phuket town, or been to the hot springs in Kok Kloy just north of Sarasin Bridge, and area now being called "Greater Phuket," There is surfing, scuba diving, ocean kayaking, kiteboarding, wakeboarding, horseback riding, mountain climbing, white water rafting, ATV tours, elephant trekking, Muay Thai camps, beach volleyball, football clubs, the list goes on and on. There is so much that can be done here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes--I would like to do a lot of the above---but on my visits i find it very hard to get around to most places easily --either the long way round there and back - via Phuket Town - in the uncomfortable song theow baht Bus which --seems to stop running late afternoon--so I could easily get stuck somewhere --or use the rip-off tuk-tuks-

Good transportation is badly needed--I cant even get a bus from Patong to Karon or further on---same goes for going the other way ---anyone got a number for a decent and fair priced taxi service---I will be back in Patong soon---Bucko

Yes that is the big downside. The transport system is in a shameful state. Only real option is to rent a motorbike for as 150 baht a day (less than starting the engine of a tuk tuk) or a car for as little as 500 baht a day. For people staying more than a couple months, it may be best to actually buy a cheap car, like a Suzuki Carribean, then sell it again when you leave, especially if you have someone that can sell it for you when you leave.

• Like 1

Easy to resume.. came here, loved it.. started to find everything annoying.. then left and now realize that phuket is heaven..

Whole world is a shithole if you want good amenities, phuket is less shitty than the rest though..

my favorite restaurants with hidden talented retired chefs and TWOCHEFS's lobster tail in cheese make this place #1 in the world.

also passing in front of a small thai country bar with nazi signs and confederate flags on a daily basis makes my day great(laughing is always good, isnt it?)

i gotta say, if you don't spend a lot of money... this place does suck balls though... but when you got your own stuff... no more dealing with touts.. life becomes good. the whiners are usualy the poor ones or those living in patong(that shouldn't).. if you're broke its better to live in rayong where the best restaurant you'll find is a 30baht kaopatgai and a 60baht burger made from dried rocks

im in canada right now and im spending a lot of money on food(total waste id say), i got used to eating out in phuket.. and 20-30$ meals do not compare to the awesome food i have had in small hidden international restaurants for 5-6$.. people still throw trash outside their car windows, women are as whorish as a patong girl, people drive just as bad etc etc.

Edited by ilyelol

Sorry (particularly to LivinLOS) - I did originally reply point by point to your post at 16.54 but it seems to have disappeared into the ether. Suffice it to say, I think you misunderstand me: you say I'm putting down the very country that gave me everything and that I had more opportunities than someone growing up in Thailand.

My original point was simply that while many people are criticising Phuket (and with good cause) it actually compares very favourably in many respects with the UK. I don't know which country you come from, LivinLOS - perhaps it's different there. I don't say that everything is bigger/shinier/nicer etc in Phuket, but that in my opinion I would rather be in Phuket for a variety of reasons.

And which is more ironic - me criticising my country and opining that I would like to live in Phuket, or you extolling the virtues of the country you left and criticising the one in which you choose to live?

All these are totally valid points.. I too am sort of a brit.. My reasons for not living there is mostly climate, but I still very much enjoy my time in developed countries, and find the cost negative of the west strange 1) lots of the big ticket stuff is cheaper there and 2) you make money there so its moot.. Also its very much a case of when you retire, i think its a lot easier for guys 50 60 plus to retire to the sun and slow down a little, but if younger theres still some energy worth channelling into business, or motorsports, or festivals, etc etc that doesnt get well served in the developing world.

If I could get the missus a passport, without having to go live through the winter, that would change things a lot.

wow KB you sure are easy pleased and simple but honestly ,do you really call noodle soup with fishballs or a prawn or piece of squid a seafood meal? :blink:

I can't help it if my answer doesn't fit in with your assumptions.

chill out mate..what asumptions? .its just that your reply was to a query...where can you buy a seafood meal for 40 baht.

i just re-read my reply..sorry i didn't mean you were simple....was referring to simple taste. often an asset..same as easy pleased. :jap:

Edited by ausinpatong

Phuket was rather nice back in 1980

first i must reinforce the point that IMO phuket has not always been a shitehole, far from it when i first arrived in'91 but this has been a gradual process and many residents caught up in day to day life here don't notice [ or choose not to acknowldge] this gradual loss of' niceness' coupled with the overzealous, badly planned develope at all cost mentality is key to my opinion

maybe i am luckier than a lot in that i spend equal amounts of time in phuket and australia and have a regular update as to the 'liveability' of places and the ability to compare firsthand what has happened here esp over the last 10 years but moreover since the sunami event where IMO it rapidly deteriorated to the point its at now

maybe the fact that where i spend time in aus..byron bay, north to noosa and airlie beach which truely are paradise areas do spoil me immensely, and spending equal time there and here gives my opinion some creedance as all these areas as with phuket are promoted as 'ideal' tourist and residentwise.

why IMO phuket is a shithole is as follows..remember IMO ;

phuket is obviously a tropical country...hot,hot sun, sometimes torrential rain..yes?

so apart from spending all day in a shopping center there is literally nowhere,anywhere that you can take a casual walk around where you have any protection from whatever weather prevails..pouring rain or burning sun..

a total lack of actual useable footpaths. you are constantly stepping up , down, dodging holes ,steel protusions, low overhead obsticals..i have yet to find a footpath where one could walk more than a few meters without an interferrence either up or down and/or dodging stalls touts m/cs etc

same as above when it comes to anywhere at all to sit down on any form of decent seating..literally none!

the constant state of disrepair of roads is undeniable in most areas some are simply dangerous

the huge amount of rubbish everywhere anywhere from the highways to the beaches and in the ocean ..a giant tip site

the dog crap ; same as above..everywhere...

try and find a public toilet, let alone a clean working one when you are out and about and especially on the beaches.[ you know..something your old mum would be comfortable using ]

on the subject of beaches..how many facilities to clean sand and often dog crap off before you leave for home..not even a basic tap let alone some sort of shower...remembering that the beaches are supposed to be a highlight of phuket...yeh right!

patong beach..the premier beach on phuket still has raw sewerage dumped in the bay..!!

i drive a compact car by choice and these days, to find a park within a comfortable walk of your destination is mostly not possible

the constant stream of newly opened buildings being squeezed into every available spot with little or no onsite parking sees to that, added to of course by our good mates in the taxi and hire car/bike game

the sheer number of vehicals around west coast and phuket town and road to airport is ever increasing, its at near saturation point most hours of the day and evening..the infrastructure is not in place to handle these ever increasing numbers..and now is at the point where nothing sane can be done

i unfortunately have to travel over kathu goat track most days at peak hour and return and the traffic now in a quiet low season is at least as much as a busy high season was not so many years ago..its all very well coming back over the hill to patong, still congested, but when you get to the bottom the whole lot bottle necks and jams...dont even think about when school finishes ..bedlam

i use NaNai rd a lot and the regular flooding and now the longterm roadworks[which probably will not rectify the problem] is another un-neccessary ongoing problem that should never have occured right from the start

the small soi up the hill opposite simon cab which turns into a traffic halting waterfall down over the road every time there is more than a little rain has done for years and probably will continue for years more

nothing is ever fixed correctly and permanently..creating ongoing,everlasting problems always needing ongoing repairs and patching eg look at the under 1 y.o road running full length behind JungCeylon a balls up from the start and continueing to be so

the road from patong to karon..patch, repair,patch...same same

the near non existant public transport system esp on the coasts

the place really has gone downhill in all respects since that sad day the waves washed away so much of the paradise and it was gradually replaced with <deleted>!

greedy developers,low life no morals opportunists, scammers, all increased hugely after the disaster

these and a myriad of other ongoing, never improving, things that really are only basics anywhere else[ and remember phuket is touted as 'THE place to live and holiday' in Thailand by many! its an ongoing joke right ] combine to make this a shitehole at this time IMO..and yes i will continue living here by choice of previous committments and enjoy all the available attributes such as scubbabuhda and others point out..its just that im being honest about the downside of the place..

Edited by ausinpatong

why IMO phuket is a shithole is as follows..remember IMO ;

phuket is obviously a tropical country...hot,hot sun, sometimes torrential rain..yes?

so apart from spending all day in a shopping center there is literally nowhere,anywhere that you can take a casual walk around where you have any protection from whatever weather prevails..pouring rain or burning sun..

a total lack of actual useable footpaths. you are constantly stepping up , down, dodging holes ,steel protusions, low overhead obsticals..i have yet to find a footpath where one could walk more than a few meters without an interferrence either up or down and/or dodging stalls touts m/cs etc

same as above when it comes to anywhere at all to sit down on any form of decent seating..literally none!

the constant state of disrepair of roads is undeniable in most areas some are simply dangerous

the huge amount of rubbish everywhere anywhere from the highways to the beaches and in the ocean ..a giant tip site

try and find a public toilet, let alone a clean working one when you are out and about and especially on the beaches.[ you know..something your old mum would be comfortable using ]

on the subject of beaches..how many facilities to clean sand and often dog crap off before you leave for home..not even a basic tap let alone some sort of shower...remembering that the beaches are supposed to be a highlight of phuket...yeh right!

patong beach..the premier beach on phuket still has raw sewerage dumped in the bay..!!

i drive a compact car by choice and these days, to find a park within a comfortable walk of your destination is mostly not possible

the constant stream of newly opened buildings being squeezed into every available spot with little or no onsite parking sees to that, added to of course by our good mates in the taxi and hire car/bike game

the sheer number of vehicals around west coast and phuket town and road to airport is ever increasing, its at near saturation point most hours of the day and evening..the infrastructure is not in place to handle these ever increasing numbers..and now is at the point where nothing sane can be done

i unfortunately have to travel over kathu goat track most days at peak hour and return and the traffic now in a quiet low season is at least as much as a busy high season was not so many years ago..its all very well coming back over the hill to patong, still congested, but when you get to the bottom the whole lot bottle necks and jams...dont even think about when school finishes ..bedlam

i use NaNai rd a lot and the regular flooding and now the longterm roadworks[which probably will not rectify the problem] is another un-neccessary ongoing problem that should never have occured right from the start

the small soi up the hill opposite simon cab which turns into a traffic halting waterfall down over the road every time there is more than a little rain has done for years and probably will continue for years more

nothing is ever fixed correctly and permanently..creating ongoing,everlasting problems always needing ongoing repairs and patching eg look at the under 1 y.o road running full length behind JungCeylon a balls up from the start and continueing to be so

the place really has gone downhill in all respects since that sad day the waves washed away so much of the paradise and it was gradually replaced with <deleted>!

greedy developers,low life no morals opportunists, scammers, all increased hugely after the disaster

these and a myriad of other ongoing, never improving, things that really are only basics anywhere else[ and remember phuket is touted as 'THE place to live and holiday' in Thailand by many! its an ongoing joke right ] combine to make this a shitehole at this time IMO..and yes i will continue living here by choice of previous committments and enjoy all the available attributes such as scubbabuhda and others point out..its just that im being honest about the downside of the place..

Contrast that to what Scuba budda says on the positive side and as we all know, is that everywhere you are is what you make of it. Some say this is paradise, while others say it's a shitehole. Funny thing is, you'll get this opinion anywhere in the world whether it be Surfers, San Francisco, Cape Town, Tokyo, Monaco, Rio or anywhere else. It is what is it to you and how you choose to view it. There is no perfect place, or we'd all be there and then it wouldn't be perfect.

"the constant stream of newly opened buildings being squeezed into every available spot with little or no onsite parking sees to that, added to of course by our good mates in the taxi and hire car/bike game".

"the sheer number of vehicals around west coast and phuket town and road to airport is ever increasing, its at near saturation point most hours of the day and evening..the infrastructure is not in place to handle these ever increasing numbers..and now is at the point where nothing sane can be done

".

"i unfortunately have to travel over kathu goat track most days at peak hour and return and the traffic now in a quiet low season is at least as much as a busy high season was not so many years ago..its all very well coming back over the hill to patong, still congested, but when you get to the bottom the whole lot bottle necks and jams...dont even think about when school finishes ..bedlam".

"greedy developers,low life no morals opportunists, scammers, all increased hugely after the disaster".

So,.......you're saying that Phuket is over-developed.

Then this:-

So..........your saying that Phuket needs to develope more.

Phuket is what it is.

Stay,or, go.

Phuket is an uncaring and indifferrent bitch and always has been.

Edited by KarenBravo

"the constant stream of newly opened buildings being squeezed into every available spot with little or no onsite parking sees to that, added to of course by our good mates in the taxi and hire car/bike game".

"the sheer number of vehicals around west coast and phuket town and road to airport is ever increasing, its at near saturation point most hours of the day and evening..the infrastructure is not in place to handle these ever increasing numbers..and now is at the point where nothing sane can be done

".

"i unfortunately have to travel over kathu goat track most days at peak hour and return and the traffic now in a quiet low season is at least as much as a busy high season was not so many years ago..its all very well coming back over the hill to patong, still congested, but when you get to the bottom the whole lot bottle necks and jams...dont even think about when school finishes ..bedlam".

"greedy developers,low life no morals opportunists, scammers, all increased hugely after the disaster".

So,.......you're saying that Phuket is over-developed.

Then this:-

So..........your saying that Phuket needs to develope more.

Phuket is what it is.

Stay,or, go.

Phuket is an uncaring and indifferrent bitch and always has been.

:crazy: what the hel_l are you on about?

develope more?????..sorry if english is not your no.1 language but where does your remark relate to what i said??

no, it just desperately needs to get its act together to be able to honestly live up to how it is promoted..

Edited by ausinpatong

ausinpatong, may i suggest you move out of patong?

living in patong is like moving to dubai and renting a trailer with a bunch of trailertrash friends.. or living in newyork then moving to newjersey

sure you can mate..but do i say that i live in patong??:D

so you think if people turn a blind eye to all the faults, they cease to exist.......ostrich..head in the sand attitude..yeh mate ..that will work

that attitude is one reason why all these problems exist

i dont have any problem in phuket town...

granted, im not living off 15k baht a month, so i dont use public transport or taxis and clearly never deal with touts or try to haggle down prices to the cheapest possible.

the north of the island is pretty much paradise as well.

only bad things are thiefs and noisy neighbor.. but then again when i finally get my land and build my own house.. that wont be a problem.. can't whine about this as i wouldn't whine if i lived in a low-income neighborhood in any western city and had noisy retards/thugs around me

I suspect there is much of Phuket that many residents and regular visitors of Patong and Phuket do not know exist here. Of the respondents here I wonder how many have made it up to Khaoo Phrya Taao National Park and the waterfalls, or walked the deserted beaches of Nai Yang, Bang Tao, or Mai Khao, or mountain biked around Bang Wad dam, or up Radar Hill, or ridden a off road motorcycle through the jungles east of the many beach towns, or watched the sunset from the windmill at Promthep Cape as the remote control gliders and paragliders get in their last flight of the day, or had dinner from one of the beach restaurants on Rawaii Beach, or explored the Sino-Portuguese architecture and temples of old-Phuket town, or been to the hot springs in Kok Kloy just north of Sarasin Bridge, and area now being called "Greater Phuket," There is surfing, scuba diving, ocean kayaking, kiteboarding, wakeboarding, horseback riding, mountain climbing, white water rafting, ATV tours, elephant trekking, Muay Thai camps, beach volleyball, football clubs, the list goes on and on. There is so much that can be done here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes--I would like to do a lot of the above---but on my visits i find it very hard to get around to most places easily --either the long way round there and back - via Phuket Town - in the uncomfortable song theow baht Bus which --seems to stop running late afternoon--so I could easily get stuck somewhere --or use the rip-off tuk-tuks-

Good transportation is badly needed--I cant even get a bus from Patong to Karon or further on---same goes for going the other way ---anyone got a number for a decent and fair priced taxi service---I will be back in Patong soon---Bucko

Yes that is the big downside. The transport system is in a shameful state. Only real option is to rent a motorbike for as 150 baht a day (less than starting the engine of a tuk tuk) or a car for as little as 500 baht a day. For people staying more than a couple months, it may be best to actually buy a cheap car, like a Suzuki Carribean, then sell it again when you leave, especially if you have someone that can sell it for you when you leave.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ScubaBuddha ---i am on the wrong side of 60 :( --so not really interested in getting around via the " motorbike roulette " method--but I would like to know details of where I might rent a car in Patong for about 500 baht--I assume full insurance is availible as an extra cost --any idea what the total might be ????

Bucko --arriving 13th July :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ScubaBuddha ---i am on the wrong side of 60 :( --so not really interested in getting around via the " motorbike roulette " method--but I would like to know details of where I might rent a car in Patong for about 500 baht--I assume full insurance is availible as an extra cost --any idea what the total might be ????

Bucko --arriving 13th July :D

Beach Road, look for the caribbeans with a sign "for rent". Doubt you'll get full insurance even though the signs say so.

I lived in Phuket for 10 years and left in 2006 to move near Chiang Mai.

When I moved to Phuket in 1996, I considered it paradise. But over time, with development, traffic, pollution, scams, corruption and people, it lost it's shine and I moved on.

Obviously some people still enjoy it, but people can rationalize and overlook a lot of negatives to defend their decision to live in Phuket, until the pain or hassle of staying is greater than the pain of leaving. I noticed a few people considering the move to Chiang Mai - thats the balance of pain about to change.

Like LOS, if I could get a passport for my wife, I would leave Thailand. There are a few other places I'd like to try.

I do question why people who are so negative still stay in Phuket. There is a place that suits you better somewhere out there - go seek it out.

In my opinion, Phuket is just a tourist destination. You could argue that there are pockets of Phuket that are still nice, but you still have to endure the pollution, over development, the high season and the transient Thai's in "gold rush fever". I don't think it's livable long term and will only get worse...but for an extended vacation for someone motivated by cheap beer and hookers, average beaches and copy T-shirts, it's heaven.

^ Many, if not most of those are Thailand problems, not just Phuket.

yes mate exactly right,,,but most of thailand is not promoted as the 'island paradise''

So what your saying then is with respect to the issues you stated (to which I was responding) you're expectations are Phuket should be different, better than the rest of Thailand then? :huh:

^ Many, if not most of those are Thailand problems, not just Phuket.

yes mate exactly right,,,but most of thailand is not promoted as the 'island paradise''

So what your saying then is with respect to the issues you stated (to which I was responding) you're expectations are Phuket should be different, better than the rest of Thailand then? :huh:

:ermm:

what are you on about mate?

of course it should be better..this place is promoted as a premier tourist destination,.and i choose to live in such places, both here and in aus.

i well accept that because of this i will pay a premium to live in such places, so as to enjoy the many benefits associated and do so with no problem.

you will not/have not seen me bitch on about all and sundry as you and a few others seem to do ad nauseum..ie tuk tuks, jetski ,tailors, touts and so on and so on mate!

my post was my opinion on why phuket is a shithole ...respect my opinion just as i respect anyone elses.

the problems i listed are problems directly affecting me living here on phuket and i have spoken up about them

so as i said 'what are you on about mate?