Who Makes The Best Bread?

-jr-

I just had a small discussion with a friend about whose bakery is the best. So I just wondered about your opinions over the best bakery.

My friend claimed that German bakery is the best because of its variety and originality. He also claimed that German bakery has the widest range of bakery product in Europe and that most bakery products nowsday are invented by German. :D

I prefer rice or pasta. But when it comes to breads, I prefer croissant, scone or just just white loaf. I found 'most' German breads are too stuffy for me. I'm not a bread guy, so I wonder about your opinions. :D

If possible, could you tell me which bakery you like most, either the nationality or just the kind of product and why you prefer it to other kinds? And it would be great for statistic if you could also tell me your home country (or continent).

Thanks,

JR :o:D

Edited by -jr-

Foodland do a decent bread line up in their bakery!

I find Foodland very poor for bread products myself. The English muffins they make have no taste and do not even seem to be yeast based. Never liked the bread and pastries. The hamburger buns are better than the Farmhouse bakery; but not by much.

Both Lotus and Carrefour seem to have better products. For sliced bread believe the Gardenia chain is as good as any widely available here.

Well I'm a bread guy! (at least I remember I used to be before I went Thai). When you like bread and you travel a bit you couldn't possibly decide on the "best" bread. Love the French baguette but what about the the German "Kartoffelbrot" or the Swiss "walliserbrot" or a freshly baked loaf of greek bread out of the wood fired oven, but hey , don't forget the Indian "naan", etc , etc. You're making me drool

Too easy- my Granny (Scots) makes the best bread (also yorkshire pudding, bread pudding, apple pastries etc) on the planet and could give a toss about carb diets. I really miss her... (erm, even without the goodies) :o

Edit: ok in Thailand? for some reason, Hua Hin seems to have a concentration of a few good small bakeries

Edited by bahtandsold

Carrefour and Lotus have HORRIBLE bread!

You could use one of their french sticks to knock down a wall if you keep it overnight.

If in Chiang Mai - go to Rimping or Kasem store for a good selection of bread.

Too easy- my Granny (Scots) makes the best bread (also yorkshire pudding, bread pudding, apple pastries etc) on the planet

My gran(scots too) is coming over for a visit, if her doctor lets her. The plan is for her to teach my Thai wife how to make a decent loaf.

Off topic, but does anyone know where the phrase, "it's a sair fate :o for half a loaf " come from? One of my grans favourite sayings.

My gran(scots too) is coming over for a visit, if her doctor lets her. The plan is for her to teach my Thai wife how to make a decent loaf.

Off topic, but does anyone know where the phrase, "it's a sair fate :o  for half a loaf " come from? One of my grans favourite sayings.

Sorry Neeranam, my Grandmum altho invincible, only writes letters (some may recall, those odd handwritten ink notes on paper;) but I'll be sure to inquire on my next mailing. Hoping for some shortbread (well, smashed delicious crumbs) in the mail too :D

PS; someone mentioned Bei Otto- agreed, decent pastries, bread etc

Edited by bahtandsold

They do lovely bread at bai otto on what i think is suk 24 opposite the windsor suites hotel they do lots of different breads all baked on site :o

Bei Otto is on Sukhumvit 20.

ahh thanks for that knew i wasnt far away :D

I live in Pattaya, haven't found a decent bakery yet.

Woodlands resort in Naklua (just down from Dolphin roundabout) has the best French bread and croisants I have found in Thailand but its not cheap. They have a little bakery on the main road by the entrance to the hotel and also serve decent baguette sandwiches.

I agree with lopburi, the bread in Foodland is crap.

I think the bread sold at La Boulange on Soi Convent is the best I have had in Bangkok.

The bread at the Sheraton Hotel is also superb

I agree!

Also, they have good bread at Kuppa Restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 16.

Good bread available at La Boulange on Soi Convent across from Starbucks. All baked on site. French loafs, sliced white and wheat and even good cakes. Their lemon tarts are delicious. They also do decent food in the restaurant. After 6p the bread is discounted 50pct at the bakery. They also have small outlets in Tops supermarkets.

For the best bread it has to be a ‘Hovis memory’ :o

Do you remember the baker’s boy riding down the street on his bicycle and then toasting the bread with a toasting fork by an open fire.

Yes! Yes! I know it was an Advert but I remember toasting bread and plenty of best butter before I went to school in a morning nothing tasted better. :D

But seriously I have a bread making machine and my bread is better than any that you can buy.

Set it up at night on the timer and wake up to the smell of hot fresh bread. :D

Edd.