What Was Pattaya Like In The 60'S & 70'S?

chonburi12

If the OP is hankering after what Pattaya looked in the 60/70's then he should "hot foot" it down to Bang Sare before the "Mega Las Vegas Style" development completely changes it sometime in the next 200 years ...maybe ....never....

It was not ther in the 60's and 70's .

Troll post.

If you are referring to your post then I agree. I was there in 1968-1969 and if one searches can find a few of "what was it like back then" topics including posts and photos by me and other members of the period. Would advise not to disrupt this topic further.

post-1360-064597000 1277936499_thumb.jpg

BJ Restaurant and Bar early 1980.

I'm sure this picture was taken much later then early 1980,early 90's is more possible.

I came to Pattaya first time 1983 and sat at BJs many times sipping on my 15 Baht Mehkong/coke.

post-1360-064597000 1277936499_thumb.jpg

BJ Restaurant and Bar early 1980.

I'm sure this picture was taken much later then early 1980,early 90's is more possible.

I came to Pattaya first time 1983 and sat at BJs many times sipping on my 15 Baht Mehkong/coke.

I have no doubts that you sat at the BJ bar early 1980's but judging about the pick-up,the clothes the people are wearing,the condition of the boardwalk and the advertising panels I think the picture was taken at a later date.

It was not ther in the 60's and 70's .Troll post.

I suppose that by "ther" you mean "there." Well, it certainly WAS there. I was here '65-'67 and it was already something of a "sin city" at the time. American GIs were helping build it up by going there on R&R, and the girls just wanted to be helpful, I guess--anyhow there weren't as many clubs there then, by any stretch, but it was known as a happening town. But the whole coast was much sweeter and gentler then, much, much prettier.

Per Wikipedia: "For centuries, Pattaya was a small fishing village. But a change occurred on April 26, 1961, when the first group of about 100 American servicemen who were fighting in the Vietnam War arrived in Pattaya for relaxation. From this beginning, Pattaya became a popular beach resort which now attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors. Fishermen's huts along the beach were replaced by resort hotel and shopping malls. Fishing vessels were adapted to become tourist boats." : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattaya

I took an R&R in '69 in Bangkok but never made it down to Pattaya.

I can remember it in the middle eighties . Walking street was much the same as it is now , but there was not a lot on the he other side of Second Road .

Here is a common picture that often gets put on TV of walking street in 1980 and you say it is much the same as it is now.....ok

Great picture.

Narri's gallery is still there at thesame spot!

First came to Pattaya in 1978, when Jomtien beach road was a dirt track and they were still building Theppasit Road.

We hired a couple of scrambler bikes, anyone remember those? They used to be everywhere, don't see them at all now :(

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
On 6/30/2010 at 5:43 PM, chonburi12 said:

Just found some cool footage of Pattaya in '87:

(Walking around Pattaya)

(taxi around Pattaya)

Cheers for sharing.. 

I came 2002 but still it had a bit of flair to go to walking street. bar fine, Singha 35 baht and smiles everywhere..

Nowadays, stubborn chicks staring on their Mobile Phones, barfine, a Chick and as excuse: Have not much customers need money.. What the heck.. 

As I became self employed I usually took my customers to walking street and the next contract was signed there. Bill 2500 baht.

Last year I had a meeting with a Taiwan customer, got him pissed, tied him a chick on the belly for the night and baht were gone in just 6 hrs.. well at least the contract was signed for 2020 and 2021.. 

I only go back to 2004 but similar types of changes have happened albeit at a faster pace.  I remember Soi Yume up behind what was called Carre 4 being mostly dirt and un traveled.  Now paved and all sorts of stuff on it.  To me Pattaya still had some small town character in 2004. That changed, coincidentally or not after 2006 when Thaksin was deposed.  And really changed after the Bangkok floods a few years later.  I think many thais flocked to any city with any infrastructure. 

• Like 1

Very mad at myself for not knowing about and not going to Thailand earlier.  I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB from 82-86.  I had no idea about Thailand or foreign travel.  I was actually 25 at the time and I could have traveled easily.  So word to the wise, don't put off all your travels.  Do take some time now in your life.

• Like 2

In 1966 Pattaya was there alright. Nipa Lodge had a nice little bar inside with live music where a couple of friends played. Barbos was there and on the corner of what is now Walking Street was a nice Swiss (?) restaurant I recall. That street was mainly shops, antiques etc. I also recall that Pattaya Klang has some nice little restaurants selling duck noodles ... ah, so long ago. Memory is going but I think beer bars were on and just off the old Sukhumvit Road but I don't recall any in town. In those days, I would come down from Bangkok with wife and later with kids.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Back then we farangs had still the wow factor. 

They still do.

The comments I hear are:  Wow, look how fat, old, drunk, complaining and cheap they are.

Yes, I guess things have changed a litttle...

36 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

They still do.

The comments I hear are:  Wow, look how fat, old, drunk, complaining and cheap they are.

Yes, I guess things have changed a litttle...

Yeah Weird I thought every guy walking in Soi Bukaw is called a hansum man.

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2010 at 5:43 PM, chonburi12 said:

Just found some cool footage of Pattaya in '87:

(Walking around Pattaya)

(taxi around Pattaya)

Those were the days. Ottawan and 'Hands up', when the girls sang 'Hansum' ????....and 'Bird' Thongchai McIntyre. Nostalgia ????