How To Run In Thailand?

This is probably a bit of a pointless question I know. As a runner I find it difficult to run here. The best time is in the evening when the sun has gone down, but that is also the most dangerous time to be on the roads/broken pavements. I wonder how other runners get around this other than using a treadmill.

I'm not a runner, but you'll be surprised how many Thai's are running first thing in the morning. 5 - 6 am. even earlier. I suspect thats the best time generally.

I do see a Western Guy running past our place often around 2pm , so maybe he's just super fit or aclimatised.

I'm not a runner, but you'll be surprised how many Thai's are running first thing in the morning. 5 - 6 am. even earlier. I suspect thats the best time generally.

I do see a Western Guy running past our place often around 2pm , so maybe he's just super fit or aclimatised.

You're probably right. My problem is I'm not good at getting up that early. I run in north Africa regularly, often in 40'c+, but here the heat seems somehow worse. I'll try heading out around 5:45 tonight and see what it's like.

One of the advantages of rainy season: We don't have to wait until 6 pm to run whenever it's raining.

Yes, it is not always easy to stay fit here. (I hate treadmills)

I hate treadmills too. I ran tonight at 6pm and it was ok. I had to run around the estate though as it was getting dark and I don't think I would feel safe running on the roads. Running up and down the estate is so boring though, which makes it difficult to do any kind of decent distance.

I know that a lot of people don't like the 400 metre track but here in Thailand you can't beat it.

After running in Chatuchak, Lumpini, along the Chao Prya as well as using treadmills, I have ended up back on the track and it is bliss.

No dogs, no motorbikes, no bicycles, no prams, no crazy taxis and it's free. Just go along to the staduims and start running.

I use the running track at Kasetsart University, as wel as the one at DP university. The one at Rajamagangala stadium is also pretty good.

International schools have many playing fields and you can get a good workout on them as well eg. Harrow School, Pattana School

I do understand that a lot of people do not like running on tracks but here in Thailand it is probably the safest way to run. Just put the MP4 on and go for it.

• 3 weeks later...

The Pollution! May as well buy a packet of cigs and stay at home, save yourself the time and effort.

For me, exercising in Thailand really means the treadmill or swimming pool and it's important to stay out the sun.

There is something about this heat that just knocks it out of you. I get in to real difficulties with dehydration.

No tracks or playing fields around you?

Acclimation..

I'm from the desert of middle Arizona and regulary run in over 115'f+ (45'c) degree heat ( well, used to when I lived there ) and have run an ultramarathon of 135 miles in 130'f + ( 54'c ) degrees ( road temps ) through Death Valley in July..( twice) Melted my shoes! ( used 8 pairs in 41 hrs of running)

The humidity here is what sucks the life outta me, but like back home, started out with shorter runs in the hottest part of the day. Gradually increasing the distance and time each week ( always carrying fluid in a camelbak or bottles ) Kepi hat ( from the Solumbra company which specializes in hot weather clothing for the runner 1-800-882-7860, www. sunprecautions.com, NFI, ) which covers the 'ol neck and sunscreen and at times have used Teva running sandals to cool the 'ol hoofs.

After around 3-4 weeks I'm pretty much comfortable hammerin in these temps.

Hydration is also big on the list, and I can push fluids and buffered salt tabs each hour ( Succeed Caps= 341mg. sodium and 21mg potassium) and normally use a sugar free ( Gatorade is horrible, called Gatorbarf within the ulta community ) sports beverage like Suceed Ultra ( google Succeed sportsdrink, NFI ) but I'm sure you already know all this...

Check out Kevin Sayers ultrarunning web site and look under " heat acclimation". Great info...

I still get some weird looks like I just dropped off the moon out here in the middle of nowhere, clipping along at 1300 hrs..some even try to offer me a ride home and look confused when I tell 'em I'm doing this on purpose. :lol:

I started running in Pattaya a couple of weeks ago and I'm now up to 40 - 50 min jogs at a fairly sedate pace, once a day.

I run on a treadmill, starting at about 5.30 am and the heat / humidity isn't that bad. Need to drink before, during and after the run as the state of my clothes indicates that I do sweat an awful lot !

After another week or so on the treadmill I intend to switch to the sea front at roughly the same time. I hope the sea breezes will help keep cool.

Londo

You'll get acclimatized eventually

I have been waiting for that for 45 years :rolleyes: . Hot and humid is just not good for running. I have lived in Vietnam and now live in Cambodia and in both places I get up at 04:00 to go running Great time: heat is manageable and there is no traffic.

If you cannot get up and need to run later: drink lots, put ice cubes in a Bandanna and tie around your neck; soak a baseball cap in water and out in the fridge prior to running; put a sponge on top of your head, ice cubes on top of that, baseball cap on top of that.

Finally: just suck it up. Beats going running in sleet and sub-zero temperatures :lol:

Acclimation..

I'm from the desert of middle Arizona and regulary run in over 115'f+ (45'c) degree heat ( well, used to when I lived there ) and have run an ultramarathon of 135 miles in 130'f + ( 54'c ) degrees ( road temps ) through Death Valley in July..( twice) Melted my shoes! ( used 8 pairs in 41 hrs of running)

The humidity here is what sucks the life outta me, but like back home, started out with shorter runs in the hottest part of the day. Gradually increasing the distance and time each week ( always carrying fluid in a camelbak or bottles ) Kepi hat ( from the Solumbra company which specializes in hot weather clothing for the runner 1-800-882-7860, www. sunprecautions.com, NFI, ) which covers the 'ol neck and sunscreen and at times have used Teva running sandals to cool the 'ol hoofs.

After around 3-4 weeks I'm pretty much comfortable hammerin in these temps.

Hydration is also big on the list, and I can push fluids and buffered salt tabs each hour ( Succeed Caps= 341mg. sodium and 21mg potassium) and normally use a sugar free ( Gatorade is horrible, called Gatorbarf within the ulta community ) sports beverage like Suceed Ultra ( google Succeed sportsdrink, NFI ) but I'm sure you already know all this...

Check out Kevin Sayers ultrarunning web site and look under " heat acclimation". Great info...

I still get some weird looks like I just dropped off the moon out here in the middle of nowhere, clipping along at 1300 hrs..some even try to offer me a ride home and look confused when I tell 'em I'm doing this on purpose. :lol:

Hey I read and watched a documentary of that marathon the Bad Water I think is called.

Full Respect.

Richard, try that stretch of new road that runs into Asia Industrial estate down the road from where you live.

I see many Thais running along it when I'm on my way home from work. It's got long straight stretches with good pavement so no worries about running when it's getting darkish.

You'll get acclimatized eventually

I have been waiting for that for 45 years :rolleyes: . Hot and humid is just not good for running. I have lived in Vietnam and now live in Cambodia and in both places I get up at 04:00 to go running Great time: heat is manageable and there is no traffic.

If you cannot get up and need to run later: drink lots, put ice cubes in a Bandanna and tie around your neck; soak a baseball cap in water and out in the fridge prior to running; put a sponge on top of your head, ice cubes on top of that, baseball cap on top of that.

Finally: just suck it up. Beats going running in sleet and sub-zero temperatures :lol:

I m afraid that getting up (very) early and drinking lots of water is the only way to go running outdoors! Otherwise the only option left (I can see) is enjoying some quality time with a treadmill

• 4 weeks later...

Pattaya has a nice Jogging / Exercise Park up on Pratnak Hill.. just around the corner up the hill from

the Tourist Police Station.

I see a lot of people running up in that park approx 6.00pm.

the Pratanak Hill Park also got exercise stations along the jogging route. no motorbikes, very nice little park.

It is a bit far from me on Soi Khao Noi so I jog up and down a 400+ meter straight stretch of Road just off Soi Khao Noi which is relatively traffic free and safe enough in the dark too (if you keep your wits about you) if you job on the side with street lights.

check out that exercise park on Pratanak Hill...