Ext. Of Stay W/ Marriage. They Say I Need 2 Neighbours?

I was able to get a 60 day extension of stay based on my marriage today at the Pathumthani Immigration office. While there, the very helpful immigration officers informed me that if I wanted to do a 1 year extension at the end of August that in addition to the monetary requirements, I would need to bring 2 of my neighbours, from the same moo bahn and not renters, to certify that I am living there.

I haven't heard this requirement mentioned before. Is this generally a requirement for an extension of stay based on marriage, or is this one of those office specific things where it is better to simply acquiesce than to try and ask questions? Problem is, I don't really know any of my neighbours all that well, and most of them are renting anyway and thus would not meet the qualifications. Has anyone else ever had this asked of them?

Any experiences with the Pathumthani office in general? Seems a nice place. No queues at all. 6 officers sitting around gossiping and doing nothing. Was in and out today in 10 minutes all told.

It has been reported before but is not a normal requirement. Expect you could achieve the same inviting several for lunch or obtaining a police report or such. It seems to be part of the verification that you are living there and as husband and wife which they have to somehow prove to Bangkok. I suspect renters would be acceptable if listed on a home register there. It might also help if wife is so listed (if not presently).

I had to do the very same thing to get my initial marriage visa.<BR>As explained to me; two neighbours to vouch for my character, and that we living together as a family.<BR>They interviewed them; no in my presence, and had them sign a statement.<BR>Took along the wife's Uncle, and Poo Yai Bahn.<BR><BR><BR>

My first time I had to take a Thai friend along to verify that we did live together.

It probably saves Immigration the bother of going in person to check you out.

Get your Wife to have a chat with the neighbours. They will be happy to help for a small fee.