And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

8. 34

Indian Woman Strips in Defence Against Theft Claim

9. 38

Are Older Men in Thailand Trading Love for Financial Ruin

10. 165

Ukraine ... Enlighten yourself

11. 2,488

Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

12. 165

Ukraine ... Enlighten yourself

13. 25

Israeli Interrogator Warns of Continued Violence as Long as Hamas Leader Sinwar Lives

14. 72

A good hotdog

Beer House, Pattaya City Walk

doctormann

I went down to the Beer House on Pattaya City Walk yesterday evening (Wednesday) expecting to get my usual Sausage and Erdinger fix but found that it was closed up.

Anyone know if this is just a temporary closure? I'll be p*ssed off if it's permanent as I still have a couple of 5% discount cards to use up!

DM

I would not be surprised if it closed as that strip does not seem to be good for business.

TheWalkingMan

Where is pattaya City Walk???

Pattaya City Walk:

Walking on Second Road in a northerly direction from the Pattaya Tai junction, pass Mike's Mall - small version, not the main one - and Pattaya Lands 1, 2 and 3. Continue and before you get to Dicey Riley's and the Royal Garden Plaza you will see a sign for the Frazer Resort. Turn left here and you are on Pattaya City Walk, which runs down to Beach Road. Not a lot down there apart from stalls selling the usual tourist tat - seems like another Pattaya white elephant.

The Beer House is about 2/3 of the way down on the left. Not the cheapest place in town but they have had Erdinger Wheat Beer on special offer for quite a while, which is why I've been going there. They also do a mean sausage plate to go with the beer - seven different German sausages with sauerkraut and saute potatoes. Yummy!

DM

I would not be surprised if it closed as that strip does not seem to be good for business.

TheWalkingMan

Pattaya City Walk:

Walking on Second Road in a northerly direction from the Pattaya Tai junction, pass Mike's Mall - small version, not the main one - and Pattaya Lands 1, 2 and 3. Continue and before you get to Dicey Riley's and the Royal Garden Plaza you will see a sign for the Frazer Resort. Turn left here and you are on Pattaya City Walk, which runs down to Beach Road. Not a lot down there apart from stalls selling the usual tourist tat - seems like another Pattaya white elephant.

The Beer House is about 2/3 of the way down on the left. Not the cheapest place in town but they have had Erdinger Wheat Beer on special offer for quite a while, which is why I've been going there. They also do a mean sausage plate to go with the beer - seven different German sausages with sauerkraut and saute potatoes. Yummy!

DM

Thank you for the helpful information[directions].:rolleyes:

TheWalkingMan

Pattaya City Walk:

DM

And you wonder why they shut down :D

Just another one in the 1000 that will close this week but dont worry there will be another load of mugs that will reopen them again.

Quite possibly - just shows the parlous state that the tourist industry is in right now. The Beer House was (is?) not a 'hole-in-the-wall' place but was (is?) quite swish. Definitely aimed at tourists which probably explains why it has failed, if indeed it has. I'm still hoping that it's just a temporary glitch as I really like it in there.

The sausage plate was not the only thing on offer by the way. There was quite an extensive menu.

There seems to be some connection with the B52 nightclub in Soho Square - one more white elephant - but I don't know how the two places are related.

DM

You got me worried there for a moment, thought you were talking about the Hopf Brauhaus .... phew

It's OK, The Hopf is definitely still open. I was in there last night after the abortive trip to the Beer House. Very good wheat beer in there and I like their pizzas as well.

DM

I always thought that the Beer House was in a dud location. The main way to find it would be by walking to/from Beach Road or Second Road and the location makes it the type of place where the management would need to be on all the Pattaya boards promoting all the time until they built up a steady stream of customers. Without being extremely proactive, the place was doomed...

I ate there once and the food was ok, but not exciting enough to get me to return.

TheWalkingMan

I wonder if it's got anything to do with the drop in the value of the Euro, and its effect on the spending habits of continentals? I guess with all those wursts on sale that the Beer House is mainly aiming at a continental clientèle?

I've never seen Jomtien Complex so deserted, littered with closed down bars. Even Fantasy Bar is largely dead, and we were speculating last night that it may be a result of Europeans either cancelling their trips or else seriously cutting back their spending. Nights of eating and drinking out are one of the first things to get cut when you are forced to make economies. Plus the Beer House isn't the sort of place to attract the newly dominant Chinese/Indian/Arab tourists. Maybe they should convert it into a noodle/curry/kebab house? :whistling:

Thank you for the helpful information[directions].:rolleyes:

I'm still in the dark....lving here 5 years, visiting almost ten more and never heard about that Soi....probably the reason why they are closed...

There seems to be some connection with the B52 nightclub in Soho Square - one more white elephant - but I don't know how the two places are related.

DM

AFAIK the relation is that both places are closed now :ph34r:

Now they do have a website with map

Another incomplete website for an "upscale" area...

Rent a kiosk for 10k-18k baht per month.

Or rent retail space for...

post-38575-059661800 1278139596_thumb.jp

And the calculations for the monthly rent...

post-38575-054067200 1278140390_thumb.jp

All I can say is WOW and I wonder how those rates compare with the high end (I guess they are looking for high end businesses) malls in Bangkok. Maybe I am a cheap charlie, but those published rates are insane for space which has never proven itself as hot retail location. What product could be sold to earn enough money to cover the rent, staff etc... Especially if you are on an upper floor...

TheWalkingMan

That website is dated 2008. I don't think that the artist's impression ever translated into reality. On the ground, it doesn't look too much like the pictures I'm afraid.

Anyway, it rather looks as though my beer and sausage extravaganzas have been curtailed, in that location anyway. The Hopf, of course, has wheat beer and other German food although I've only ever tried the pizzas in there. There are some German places in Naklua but I never normally venture that far. There is also the Brau Haus on 2nd road, up near soi 7 I think but I've not been there either.

Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants serving a variety of German wursts - and wheat beer of course?

DM

Now they do have a website with map

Another incomplete website for an "upscale" area...

Rent a kiosk for 10k-18k baht per month.

Or rent retail space for...

post-38575-059661800 1278139596_thumb.jp

And the calculations for the monthly rent...

post-38575-054067200 1278140390_thumb.jp

All I can say is WOW and I wonder how those rates compare with the high end (I guess they are looking for high end businesses) malls in Bangkok. Maybe I am a cheap charlie, but those published rates are insane for space which has never proven itself as hot retail location. What product could be sold to earn enough money to cover the rent, staff etc... Especially if you are on an upper floor...

TheWalkingMan

those prices are ridiculous! In a Bangkok Office tower you pay about 600 to 800 Baht per sqm, depending on location. 1,800 per sqm is totally over the top!

Thinking about it, most of the businesses on my Soi are aimed at Russians and most of them shut up shop from June until about September. The Russian tourist trade seems very seasonal, probably something to do with getting away from gruesomely cold winters.

Anyway they soon come back to life towards winter when the numbers return.

Perhaps its just a fact of life that Russian targeted businesses will close down during the summer. Perhaps the Beer House may be the same. (Although it is not clear how they could write off the rent at the levels suggested earlier)

They was good before rising the prices. Had very delicious pizza at 180 batt much better than hopf's pizza a year ago but after they priced it at 250.

btw HOPF has discasting beer. If i have choose what beer i want to drink every day chang or hopf's sweet beer let me think 1 nanosecond definetely chang.

Edited by Gik

They was good before rising the prices. Had very delicious pizza at 180 batt much better than hopf's pizza a year ago but after they priced it at 250.

btw HOPF has discasting beer. If i have choose what beer i want to drink every day chang or hopf's sweet beer let me think 1 nanosecond definetely chang.

The Weizenbier in Hopf's is not bad!

It is in fact pretty good...anyone fancies maybe a TV gathering there? Maybe on a Saturday night with Enzo singing?

What.....another free beer party.....pfff ok if you insist then :D

free beer? As long as you keep paying, I'm happy to keep drinking :P

@Phil Connors: we could drink in ..err...moderation.....excuse the pun...

It is in fact pretty good...anyone fancies maybe a TV gathering there? Maybe on a Saturday night with Enzo singing?

To be honest I always finish my last beer before he starts! I know why! B)

• 3 months later...

Just a heads-up:

The Beer House on Pattaya City Walk has now re-opened.

I called in last night, hoping for my usual beer and sausage fest. Unfortunately, they don't have the Erdinger Wheat Beer right now - coming in November, maybe - so I didn't eat there. The Erdinger used to be the main reason for going there as it was always on special offer.

The menu appeared to be the same as before.

DM