Us Passport/Citizen Service Fees Rise Again July 13,2010

The US State Dept just published the final rule in effect July 13, 2010 raising passport fees again despite 98% of comments opposed. The worst of it is the new $82 charge to add pages which was previously free. I just scheduled my appointment this week to add more pages because I don't want to pay $82 when my passport gets full in a few years.

Also many of the US Citizen Service fees such as notary are going up ( almost 70-80%) as well.

I wrote the US Embassy last night about passport renewal and they responded today:

You may renew your passport at your discretion, if you renew yourpassport before July 13th you will be charged the old rate. Please note that you will receive a larger passport book, containing 52 pages automatically, and without extra charge.

When you renew, if qualified, you will receive a 10 year validity passport, expiring 10 years after the time of issuance.

Yes, we do offer a mailing services, please inquire at the time of application.

Regards-

American Citizen Services

My old passport with pages added was 45 pages if you count every page. So less than the new ones that have 52 pages, so I don't think I'll fly to BKK to save $35, (I think they are going from $75 to $110) since my passport won't expire for another year.

But $50 for a notary is a bit over priced for what they do, I thought $30 was too much!

Edited by Jimi007

But $50 for a notary is a bit over priced for what they do, I thought $30 was too much!

Amen to that brother! I too provided my 2 cents worth to the State Dept a few months ago about the proposed fees, especially the BIG increase to get a document notarized. This also means for those of us who do the yearly income letter for the retirement extension of stay, the new and improved cost is $50--costing more everyday to be retired!

Amen to that brother! I too provided my 2 cents worth to the State Dept a few months ago about the proposed fees, especially the BIG increase to get a document notarized. This also means for those of us who do the yearly income letter for the retirement extension of stay, the new and improved cost is $50--costing more everyday to be retired!

$50 to stamp and sign a piece of paper I have already printed out and I must appear in person! Total CRAP! Thanks Hilary! I never did like your fat ass. They say it's to cover the costs of operation. Hum, the number of passports issued have almost doubled, due to needing one for travel to Mexico and Canada, so charge more in an economic downturn. Sounds like they're learning Thai logic? All I can say is there better be more Consulate outreach visits, as I will be really happy to have to fly to BKK to pay my $50 a year!

Edited by Jimi007