Australian Government Price Gouge

The 1st of July, 2010 new visa application charges are out today. A subclass 676 (tourist) is still AUD$105. An offshore partner visa (subclass 309/100) and a prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) is up AUD$30 to AUD$1735.

Whilst the increases for the prospective marriage visa and offshore spouse visa are not that much, the current adjusted exchange rate does not reflect the current AUDTHB rate which is fluctuating around the 27 mark +/-.

VAC's Paid in Bangkok

Tourist (s/c 676) 3300THB

Partner Offshore (s/c 309/100) 54750THB

Prospective Marriage Visa (s/c 300) 54750THB

How to Save

Just because a particular visa subclass has to be lodged offshore, does not mean that VAC cannot be paid in Australia. To pay a VAC in Australia just attend a DIAC office, you will need the details from the applicants passport and the subclass of the visa they are applying for. The receipt should be submitted with the application.

Based on the current VAC and DIAC exchange rates, paying the VAC for an offshore partner visa or prospective marriage visa in Australia will save you just under AUD$300.

Bridge

• Like 1

So anyone know in sydney where the office is you can pay this at and what info do you need to provide as I have my GF ready to do her visa.

Cheers

Mick

Mick,

The DIAC office in Sydney is right near Central Station, top of George Street. You will need the details on her passport, and the subclass of visa she is applying for. DIAC will then issue you with a receipt, which you then submit with the application. It is that easy.

Bridge

And if you don't like the city,You can do it at the Paramatta office.Seems to be a bit quicker getting to the front of the line.Also if you want a faster service in Thailand up North in Isarn,The Australia embassy in Vietiane I have found is alot better and more personal than Bkk.

>>The 1st of July, 2010 new visa application charges are out today. A subclass 676 (tourist) is still AUD$105. An offshore partner visa (subclass 309/100) and a prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) is up AUD$30 to AUD$1735.<<

It has never been $30........ I paid $2105. Then withdrew my application when it did not work out for no refund. So $1735 is a good deal if you ready to commit. In saying that most do not adapt to the way of life in Farang land. Whereas most of us do not adapt to their way of life.

Anyway your pricing is incorrect, unless Melbourne charges more which I doubt.

Maybe you talking about 40 years ago for $30--- who knows where did this info come from--- $30- yer right. Nobody in Aussie would even look at a form for less than $100 now. :lol:

>>The 1st of July, 2010 new visa application charges are out today. A subclass 676 (tourist) is still AUD$105. An offshore partner visa (subclass 309/100) and a prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) is up (has increased) AUD$30 to AUD$1735:D.<<

It has never been $30........ I paid $2105. Then withdrew my application when it did not work out for no refund. So $1735 is a good deal if you ready to commit. In saying that most do not adapt to the way of life in Farang land. Whereas most of us do not adapt to their way of life.

Maybe you talking about 40 years ago for $30--- who knows where did this info come from--- $30- yer right. Nobody in Aussie would even look at a form for less than $100 now. :lol:

:thumbsup: confirmed http://www.immi.gov....artner.htm

no mate he said it is up 30 dollars before 1705 up 30 to 1735. and the real cost will be if you send it os determined by the exchange rate. as you will see 54750 at the current exchange rate is more like 2100.

have to read carefully before posting lol cheers. thats why he mentioned paying in aus for the visa saving 300 abouts.

hope thats clear now

cheers

Edited by Elwood62

>>The 1st of July, 2010 new visa application charges are out today. A subclass 676 (tourist) is still AUD$105. An offshore partner visa (subclass 309/100) and a prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) is up AUD$30 to AUD$1735.<<

Jayinoz,

With respect, perhaps you might like to brush up on your English literacy skills and re read my OP again.

Nowhere did I say that a spouse visa was AUD$30 (that's absurd). What I clearly said was that the visa application charge (VAC) for an offshore spouse visa (s/c 309/100) was now AUD$1735 up AUD$30 from AUD$1705. An AUD$30 increase.

Perhaps you are referring to an onshore spouse visa application, the VAC currently being AUD$2575.

Perhaps you might also like to do your homework and read the OP properly before making such ill founded and uninformed comments.

For the benefit of all others, I have attached the DIAC PDF which outlines all VAC's as of 1 July 2010.

990i.pdf

Regards

Bridge

Edited by bridge

Bridge I have to agree I was disgusted at what we were forced to pay, based on there exchange rate we were forced to pay nearly 5000bht more than what the current exchange rate was a few months ago.

I am just glad we got the visa and my wife is over here in Australia now, there were TB concerns and it was not looking positive for a while, it turned out everything was OK but it was a really stressfull time.

If you pay in Australia at a DIAC office you will be paying in AUD. If you pay the fee in Bangkok you pay in THB. The rate that DIAC use is the buy AUD rate and at a rate that is higher than the normal Thai bank FX rate. On the figures given in the post it would be 31.55 THB to 1 AUD.

So you will save if you pay the fee in Australia, the other advantage is payment is by EFTPOS or CC.

If the buy rate was 28 to the AUD one would pay 48580 THB.

If you pay in Australia at a DIAC office you will be paying in AUD. If you pay the fee in Bangkok you pay in THB. The rate that DIAC use is the buy AUD rate and at a rate that is higher than the normal Thai bank FX rate. On the figures given in the post it would be 31.55 THB to 1 AUD.

So you will save if you pay the fee in Australia, the other advantage is payment is by EFTPOS or CC.

If the buy rate was 28 to the AUD one would pay 48580 THB.

The average AUDTHB exchange rate today (Mon 05/07) in Bangkok is 26.71, whereas the DIAC deemed rate 31.55

Anyone wanting to change AUD into THB to pay the VAC for an offshore spouse visa will be paying a whopping AUD$2049. If you can pay in Australia, or have someone in Australia who can attend a DIAC office you will save AUD$314 on the visa application charge.

Just think too, that money saved can be put towards the medicals, radiological test, police clearance checks and document translations.

Bridge

• 1 year later...

And if you don't like the city,You can do it at the Paramatta office.Seems to be a bit quicker getting to the front of the line.Also if you want a faster service in Thailand up North in Isarn,The Australia embassy in Vietiane I have found is alot better and more personal than Bkk.

Does anyone know if this information is still correct? Can a thai National apply in Vientiane for a visa to Aus. As my GF is based near Nong Khai it would be a lot easier than travelling to Bangkok to submit a visa application

If it is possible, is it only for tourist visas or could you apply for a partner visa this way?

What is the Visa Charge for the under 12 year old child of a Thai spouse who has already been granted PR, thus applying for PR as well to join the mother?

Is this charge able to be paid on-shore or off-shore in the same way as has been described above, and would the processing times be in keeping with the new much extended times on average.

What is the Visa Charge for the under 12 year old child of a Thai spouse who has already been granted PR, thus applying for PR as well to join the mother?

Is this charge able to be paid on-shore or off-shore in the same way as has been described above, and would the processing times be in keeping with the new much extended times on average.

Hi FIshhooks,

Do you mean full permanent residency or still on the temporary partner visa. Just confirm whether in fact full permanent residency has in fact been granted.

Fishhooks,

If the mother still holds the temporary partner visa (subclass 309), then the child would apply for a Defendant Child Visa (subclass 445). Current visa application charge AUD$215.

If however the mother holds a permanent partner visa, then the appropriate visa in those circumstances would be a Child (permanent) Visa (subclass 101). Current visa application charge AUD$1995.   

As for standard processing times, DIAC are currently advising 14 months (either subclass 445 or 101). However, it is advisable to check with the Australian Embassy, Bangkok for more accurate time frames.

Hello Bridge,

Yes the full Permanent Visa status has been granted, so as you describe, the fee jumps "very BIG"

Strange difference in the two categories!

I think it is because a partner visa applicant is allowed to include dependent children in their initial application as secondary applicants with only one visa application charge paid by the primary applicant at time of application.

After the temporary partner visa application has been granted, but before the permanent partner visa (generally two years) they can more or less be added to that application. However once permanent residency is granted then it is a fresh application.

Agreed though there is a huge difference in the two visa application charges. 

• 3 weeks later...