I Opened A Bank Account In 30 Minutes, No Wp

I'm in LOS on a 60 day tourist visa. Next month I'll have an educational visa but until then I had to go to the big government building at Chaeng Wattana to ask for an extension of the tourist one.

A Thai friend suggested I should try to open a bank account while I was there (something I obviously need to do), as I'd have all the papers with me and lots of the major banks have branches there, literally side by side.

I chose one at random, MTB - no chance without a work permit.

Then I went into Bangkok Bank - maybe, they said, but I'd need a letter from my embassy (so, forget that).

Then Kasikorn. 20 minutes and 5000 baht later I walked out with a bank book and an ATM card! Today they sent me a PIN so I can start banking online, which works fine.

I could have probably opened it with even less. I offered the 5000 baht and a few hundred US dollars but she said, no, the baht would be enough.

Ridiculously easy! I stopped for a coffee afterwards and had to walk back past the bank. I almost felt like going past on tiptoe in case there'd been a mistake and they came out and pulled me up.

By the way, when I got the visa extension, the form asks you why you want to stay longer. I wrote that I want to buy a condo (which is vaguely true, but not for several years yet). On reading that, the immigration official said oh, my brother-in-law's an estate agent, could he drop you an email?!! TIT.

Edited by paddydubai

Kasikorn have always had a more relaxed and realistic attitude to this, did the same myself when I was holidaying here some 6 years ago.

The account itself is not much use though to be honest, pay money in, draw money out, debit card that is useful (but only in Thailand), but not much else.

I know your are obviously pleased with yourself, and I don't want to rain on your parade, but it really is not a big deal and certainly was no mistake.

The account itself is not much use though to be honest, pay money in, draw money out, debit card that is useful (but only in Thailand), but not much else.

Don't really understand what you mean when you say the account is not much use.

My Kasikorn savings account gives me internet banking, as the op suggested, and the debit card can be used worldwide to access cash and make purchases, not sure what else I would need. OK you don't get a cheque book, I don't really need one as everything can be paid electronically, some countries are already in the process of phasing out cheques.

I opened accounts at Kasikorn branches with NO visa. I do have a permanent address in Thailand at my wifes family home but I am not registered at the address.

They even sold me a VISA electron card for account that works fine abroad but not for online purchases as it does not have my name on it.

Edited by martin81

<BR>
<BR>The account itself is not much use though to be honest, pay money in, draw money out, debit card that is useful (but only in Thailand), but not much else.<BR>
<BR><BR>Don't really understand what you mean when you say the account is not much use.<BR><BR>My Kasikorn savings account gives me internet banking, as the op suggested, and the debit card can be used worldwide to access cash and make purchases, not sure what else I would need. OK you don't get a cheque book, I don't really need one as everything can be paid electronically, some countries are already in the process of phasing out cheques.<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>I agree.   My Kasikorn bank debit card is fine and I have the KWEB visa card which is a virtual visa card linked to my account.  I also have the banking online.  I like to sit on my butt in my air conditioned room and pay my bills online.  Top up my friends minutes on her phone.  Kasikorn is a wonderful bank.  <BR><BR>

They even sold me a VISA electron card for account that works fine abroad but not for online purchases as it does not have my name on it.

You can get an electron card with your name embossed, takes a couple of weeks and there is no extra charge. Still cannot be used online though, but as ThaiRich points out you can get a web based card for most online purchases, though a lot of airlies don't allow you to use them.

You can get an electron card with your name embossed, takes a couple of weeks and there is no extra charge. Still cannot be used online though, but as ThaiRich points out you can get a web based card for most online purchases, though a lot of airlies don't allow you to use them.

That is interesting, we have yet to use our international Bangkok Bank Debit card over the internet, nor to book flights. Perhaps we should give this a go and see what happens. Will get back to you - PKRV.

Edited by pkrv

True some airlines don't like the virtual credit cards. But, I have had success with Thai, Delta by calling them and they told me if I booked atleast 21 days in advance they would not require to see the credit card on check in and that was correct. For the discount airlines Airasia will accept the virtural card if booked 48 hours in advanced. For me it has worked out wonderful.

Opened an account at Kasikorn in 10 minutes, only asked for my passport and I gave them 1000 baht to put in the account.

Siam Commercial asked for a WP.

But apparently it all depends on the branch.

Although Kasikorn doesn't have any problem with opening accounts for farang who are just on a holiday.

Gotta love K-Bank :)

Kasikorn have always had a more relaxed and realistic attitude to this, did the same myself when I was holidaying here some 6 years ago.

I know your are obviously pleased with yourself, and I don't want to rain on your parade, but it really is not a big deal and certainly was no mistake.

Original poster here. No, I'm not particularly 'pleased with myself'.

It's OK, you haven't 'rained on my parade'.

And thanks for conceding that there 'certainly was no mistake.' That's a huge relief. Phew.

I also realise that in the fullness of things, 'it really is not a big deal'. But I did post it in the banking section of the forum so, although it wasn't a big deal, it was entirely relevant.

And as there are hundreds of posts on this forum about opening a bank account, including one the other day that I saw when I was researching, which said you cannot open an account without a work permit, I thought it would be useful to tell people how easy my experience was.

I think this forum has an awful lot of people who post, not because they want to add to the sum total of useful knowledge and information, but because they want to show other people that they know more than anyone else. This guy, for instance. A classic.

Some forums operate a 'be nice or don't post' policy. I think thaivisa should do the same.

In the meantime, please, if you haven't got anything useful to add, go and have a walk, or tell your wife what a bigshot you are, or something.

Edited by paddydubai

And thanks for conceding that there 'certainly was no mistake.' That's a huge relief. Phew.

I also realise that in the fullness of things, 'it really is not a big deal'. But I did post it in the banking section of the forum so, although it wasn't a big deal, it was entirely relevant.

And as there are hundreds of posts on this forum about opening a bank account, including one the other day that I saw when I was researching, which said you cannot open an account without a work permit, I thought it would be useful to tell people how easy my experience was.

I think this forum has an awful lot of people who post, not because they want to add to the sum total of useful knowledge and information, but because they want to show other people that they know more than anyone else. This guy, for instance. A classic.

Some forums operate a 'be nice or don't post' policy. I think thaivisa should do the same.

In the meantime, please, if you haven't got anything useful to add, go and have a walk, or tell your wife what a bigshot you are, or something.

Good for you mate...like your style

OK, fair one. Re-reading my post it does sound a bit patronising.

Your OP was rather overly enthusiastic and I think after a bad day I jumped on it unecessarily, my apologies.

OK, fair one. Re-reading my post it does sound a bit patronising.

Your OP was rather overly enthusiastic and I think after a bad day I jumped on it unecessarily, my apologies.

well done, nice to see an apology

It is very difficult on TV to know who is saying what, we are all from such different positions I/we can confirm that on a Visa on Arrival/I and I guess also Tourist Visa i.e. no WP we have an account;with Bangkok Bank Head office

I siad I would come back to the thread on our International, joint direct debit and cash point cards, which on these type visas cannot possibly exist, This allows us to buy products across the internet via Bangkok Bank<

We have bought products in the UK on this card. and indeed are able to create a direct link from our UK SMILE (Internet Branch of the UK Co- Operative Bank) to our Bangkok Bank account using simple UK bill payments.

Edited by pkrv