How Much Does Your Thai Bank Charge You For An Atm Card?

nickjam

I've been with Bangkok Bank for about 5 years now and whilst I generally don't have any complaints I've never really liked the initial 200 baht charge for the ATM card. After a recent relocation I was informed that I must buy a new card at 200 baht if I want to switch my details to the local bank. My new job only pays through Siam Commercial and they decided to charge me 300 baht for just an ATM card (no visa and therefore can't buy anything with this card) If I wanted the debit facility so that I can buy stuff at the supermarket or book a flight online, I would have had to pay a lofty 800 baht. This does come with a supposed 5000 baht accident cover but I've already got health insurance. I've also noticed that should I decide to use any ATM other than SCB I get charged 20 baht (after I've already received my cash). The lady in SCM bank was super nice and actually apologized as I handed over my cash.

Just wondering if anyone's got good recommendations for honest banks that a) supply you with a card at no cost and B) inform you of charges prior to you using other bank's ATMs c) offer some genuine benefits? Everyone that I've spoken to says they don't get charged for their bank cards in their home countries.

It seems that banks are keen to charge me for the pleasure of accessing my own cash but don't actually offer me any benefits. I'd be happy to be proved wrong and would appreciate any positive tales of banks in Thailand.

Cheers

there is no way around it, i have an SCB, had to pay the FEE... i only ever get cash out from a SCB ATM ... but the other COn is, if you use an SCB ATM outside the area of your own bank IE you bank with SCB in Samui, but withdraw from a SCB ATM in Phuket, you will be charged 20 THB......

While I understand (somewhat) where the OP is coming from, 200 bt for a new ATM card sounds reasonable to me. Awhile back, I got a new ATM card from BKK Bank and for the life of me, I don't remember what they charged. It could have been 200 bt, but it was so insignificant (and not entirely out of the ordinary) that I don't recall anything about that transaction...other than the fact that I got my new card pretty quick and painless. The BKK Bank ATM system has been quite good. Never a problem. Never a charge. Unless I'm in a different province, then it's 20 bt per transaction. Fair to me for the convenience.

• Like 1

UOB which took over the Bank of Asia..

Charge 200 baht each new atm card....proper swindle.

5 baht from other bank atm machines....

and recently posted by myself...if you lose the card you have to go back to the issuing branch yes, thats right the issuing BRANCH ! not any branch... stupid...

My Be1st ATM card with Bangkok Bank has an annual renewal fee of 200 Baht. This is a lot worse than just having the initial new card fee. But, the convenience overshadows not having an ATM card IMHO

Funny story

My SCB ATM card had also become cracked and when I went to my branch (Pattaya 2nd Road) to get a replacement they were going to charge me 300 THB for MY new card

Until I showed the young lady the bottom of the card that said

This card is the property of the Siam Commercial Bank, PCL and not transferable

Since it wasn't MY card she gave me the new one free :cheesy:

Bangkok Bank has a new smart card BE Ist ATM card. If you want to change your existing card, no fee.

Its on their website.

PS, its still an annual fee of 200 Baht, I always notice it when I update the pass book.

Edited by phutoie2

At Kasikorn Thai Bank you can get an ATM/Visa debit card for 350 baht. They have a machine that spits them out on the spot. The clever bit is you can take along a photo on a USB drive and it will be printed onto it. The whole process, including filling the application form and getting the card, takes about 15 min. Times have changed. My original ATM card from them was issued around 20 years ago and has the Thai Farmers Bank as the name. I remember applying for it when I opened the account, then waiting for the card to be sent by post, then waiting for the PIN to be sent. Paying a small amount for instant gratification wins every time.

Indeed the OP is correct. I just opened a second SCB account in a different location/branch. They asked for 800 Baht for a card. (It might have been 700 Baht, I can't exactly remember) I baulked at that as my previous card for my first account had cost a lot less in 2004, maybe 200 Baht, and asked if there were any other options. She said, "Yes there is a 300 Baht option without the visa debit facility. But this branch has none of those cards left." She then advised me to pick up a 300 Baht from any other SCB branch in Thailand and it would work correctly with this account. I did that and it worked despite me picking up the card in a completely different region of Thailand. There is an annual account fee of 200 Baht as well, I believe.

The best bank here is Thanachart. Yes, only an opinion, but worth a look.

The orange and black one. They even pay interest on savings accounts for foreigners, but you have to ask for it. ATM is 150 baht, 100 baht for the ATM and 50 baht service fee. The office/branch in MBK looks small, but goes up 1000 floors and has it's own lift/elevator.

SCB is the worst. Most foreigners don't understand it is a commercial bank even though it is in the name and is aimed at commercial businesses and not individuals, hence they charge more than they think someone will pay, but some people pay it anyways.

If your employers direct deposit your salary to SCB, every payday, withdraw it all and put it in your Thanachart account. SCB also wants a thousand different copies of crap just to give you a cashiers check and then after 50 trips, charges a mint..........go figure.

Thanachart visa platinum, 5% off all petrol purchases and grocery store purchases, interest free for 55 days, no monthly maintenance fee but a yearly 400 baht fee. You can download the application on the internet (yes, there is a Thai and English application) or call and they will email you one.

If you are in Bkk, they will send a courier to pick it up at your home, or near it. Need a passport and work permit or other valid visa and have had at least 2 concurrent 1 year visa extensions, the more the better, and a thai person as a contact. No, you don't have to ask for a card for your Thai friend, they just need our name as a contact in case you split town.

As for SCB atm's, it was said that you can withdraw money 2 times in 1 month from non SCB atm machines and the third and on will be charged a service fee. Your mileage may vary.

Transferring from an scb account to another banks charges from 35 baht up depending on the amount transferred.

PS, its still an annual fee of 200 Baht, I always notice it when I update the pass book.

Yep, that is a complete rip. Not only do they not pay interest (or very little), you also have to pay this pathetic annual fee! Bankers, lawyers and dentists are money-grabbin tossers. :mellow:

Yep, that is a complete rip. Not only do they not pay interest (or very little), you also have to pay this pathetic annual fee! Bankers, lawyers and dentists are money-grabbin tossers. :mellow:

Pardon me for saying, but 200 bt a year is a problem? We're talking US$6 A YEAR! This for the convenience of having access to an ATM/your cash any time. As opposed to not having an ATM card and having to go to a bank every time you need cash. Honestly, sometimes I don't get you guys. What is the big deal with paying 200 bt a year for a service that is rather desirable?

My new job only pays through Siam Commercial and they decided to charge me 300 baht for just an ATM card (no visa and therefore can't buy anything with this card) If I wanted the debit facility so that I can buy stuff at the supermarket or book a flight online, I would have had to pay a lofty 800 baht.

I guess that's not so bad, in Ireland the government charge you a yearly 'stamp duty' fee on all bank issued cards. It's 30 Euro a year for a credit card. What a rip off.