Two Foreigners Nabbed For Attempted Jewellery Theft In Bangkok Shopping Centre

webfact

Two foreigners nabbed for attempted jewellery theft

gallery_327_1086_14966.jpg

BANGKOK -- Thai police detained two Guatemalan men on charges of attempting to steal a gold and diamond necklace from a shop in a Bangkok shopping centre, the authorities said on Friday.

Miguel Antonio Cordoba Robriguez and Victor M Cortez on Thursday were detained at the Old Siam Plaza, a shopping centre in an historic part of the capital near Yaowarat, Bangkok's Chinatown, for questioning.

The detention followed a complaint by a shop owner who said that both Guatemalan nationals pretended to be customers.

Mr Robriguez asked to have a look at the gold necklace with diamonds, valued at Bt3 million (over US$90,900) while Mr Cortez asked to look at another piece of jewellery, aiming to distract the owner from attending to Mr Robriguez.

When the owner was careless, Mr Robriguez stuffed the necklace into his bag. Being suspicious, the owner asked for a body search and found the jewellery on his person.

Mr Robriguez denied he had attempted theft, saying that he only wanted to have a look. Both men then left the shop hurriedly, the owner said.

On Thursday, the duo revisited the shopping plaza so the owner called for shopping centre’s security guards to send them to the police.

According to initial questioning, both of them denied the charge, saying that they wanted to buy the jewellery for their mothers in Colombia.

However, the investigator did not believe them and they were charged with attempting to steal jewellery.

Police said that other jewellery shop owners whose merchandise was stolen by the suspects can file complaints with the authorities at Phraratchawang police sttation. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-07-02

On Thursday, the duo revisited the shopping plaza so the owner called for shopping centre’s security guards to send them to the police.

They are not the brightest two people on the planet.unsure.gif

Good avedd-- evrde-------tak--------Well when I was not looking I saw him stuff it in his bag , I asked for a body search and found it ON HIS PERSON , must have been a huge bag , say wot ?????????????/

Yet another "lost in translation" special.

They stuff it into a bag. The owner demands a body search, to which the crimminals meekly agree! The offenders let this search be performed(even though the door is apparently there for them to walk out), then they leave the shop, even though every jewellery shop I have ever been in, in Old Siam has an electronic lock.

Can't they find anyone who can write something that is remotely recognizable as the English language to compose these types of reports?

On Thursday, the duo revisited the shopping plaza so the owner called for shopping centre's security guards to send them to the police.

Neither is the store owner..

This could be a king power type of scam... it's just some shop keeper accusing someone of theft and then them being arrested.

Where's the proof?

I could walk into a jewelers and a shop keeper could call police and accuse me of theft and then I'd be banged up, it stinks..

B) Everytime I read a story on Thai Visa I can usually realte to it in some way as in my 7 years I spent in Thailand I have experienced nearly everything. This story reminds me of an incident with my wife and I which I probably would never have remebered if not for this story.

Many years ago in an upcountry gold shop in my wifes home province we went in to shop for some gold. I usually would buy her a bit of gold for special occasions , like new year, birthday ,anniversary ,etc. We would typically upgrade a piece a half a bhat or so.

She was trying on a necklace and I was just mulling around not particularly interested in waht was going on when all of a sudden there was a commotion. Whilst trying on the piece the small S hook that holds the necklace was lost. Everyone in the shop imediately swarmed on my wife as if she was trying to rob the place. When I realized what was happenning they were taking her in the back to search all in her bra and pants. Now my wife who is pretty headstrong and usually doesn't put up with any bull shit was completely intimitaded by them.

Thwy searched high and low and couldn't find the hook. All the while insinuating that my wife had somehow robbed them. Since she had taken off her own necklace to use as an upgrade they were holding that one ransom and demanding we pay 1500 Baht for the lost S hook. I began to argue with them and the lady produced a large S hook about an inch long showing me it weighed 3 grams. I laughed as the one she was trying on was a small one for a 1-2 baht gold necklace.Since they had taken her in the back and very thoroughly searched here there was no chance it had fallen into her clothing. I demanded the look around the shop on the floor. My wife in order to get her gold necklace back from them and keep me from completely flipping out paid them the 1500 Baht.

I an not sure if it wasn't an elaborate scheme to con 1500 baht out of us as we would have bought a necklace from them. It is so typical of the Thai bullshit I had to put up with and I am so glad that i have left Thailand with my wife and child.I was so distresed I plotted retibution in my mind until I realized this was all part of the joys and privelege of living in Thailand. They were very rude and offensive to us and any Thai woman with a Farang is the usual suspect. This was back when gold was not at the high price it is today,

P.S. I forgot to mention this was a shop we had been too many times before!

LL

Edited by llso

B) Everytime I read a story on Thai Visa I can usually realte to it in some way as in my 7 years I spent in Thailand I have experienced nearly everything. This story reminds me of an incident with my wife and I which I probably would never have remebered if not for this story.

Many years ago in an upcountry gold shop in my wifes home province we went in to shop for some gold. I usually would buy her a bit of gold for special occasions , like new year, birthday ,anniversary ,etc. We would typically upgrade a piece a half a bhat or so.

She was trying on a necklace and I was just mulling around not particularly interested in waht was going on when all of a sudden there was a commotion. Whilst trying on the piece the small S hook that holds the necklace was lost. Everyone in the shop imediately swarmed on my wife as if she was trying to rob the place. When I realized what was happenning they were taking her in the back to search all in her bra and pants. Now my wife who is pretty headstrong and usually doesn't put up with any bull shit was completely intimitaded by them.

Thwy searched high and low and couldn't find the hook. All the while insinuating that my wife had somehow robbed them. Since she had taken off her own necklace to use as an upgrade they were holding that one ransom and demanding we pay 1500 Baht for the lost S hook. I began to argue with them and the lady produced a large S hook about an inch long showing me it weighed 3 grams. I laughed as the one she was trying on was a small one for a 1-2 baht gold necklace.Since they had taken her in the back and very thoroughly searched here there was no chance it had fallen into her clothing. I demanded the look around the shop on the floor. My wife in order to get her gold necklace back from them and keep me from completely flipping out paid them the 1500 Baht.

I an not sure if it wasn't an elaborate scheme to con 1500 baht out of us as we would have bought a necklace from them. It is so typical of the Thai bullshit I had to put up with and I am so glad that i have left Thailand with my wife and child.I was so distresed I plotted retibution in my mind until I realized this was all part of the joys and privelege of living in Thailand. They were very rude and offensive to us and any Thai woman with a Farang is the usual suspect. This was back when gold was not at the high price it is today,

P.S. I forgot to mention this was a shop we had been too many times before!

LL

Wow, Thai customer service at it's best! Seems you were lucky they didn't call the cops on you!!

And it's fairly hard to lose a S hook from a necklace since they are usually stronger/harder gold (i.e., less gold) and you usually only bend one end of the S to hook together/unhook a necklace with the other end of the S hook still firmly hooked to one end of the necklace. Sure sounds like the shop had a scam going.

Yet another "lost in translation" special.

They stuff it into a bag. The owner demands a body search, to which the crimminals meekly agree! The offenders let this search be performed(even though the door is apparently there for them to walk out), then they leave the shop, even though every jewellery shop I have ever been in, in Old Siam has an electronic lock.

Can't they find anyone who can write something that is remotely recognizable as the English language to compose these types of reports?

Seems not. Compared to China -at least parts of it - the English news here is atrocious

On the plus side it allows you to exrecise your imagination and make your own version of what happened.

Sadly boy cried wolf story comes to mind. Even if this was all true, very hard to believe considering all past scams.

Also have to agree with other posts, shop selling items worth 3 000 000thb each only have 1 sales person? the owner and no security?

Anyone else feeling like Thais recently HATE farang much more than in the past?

Thailand has always been xenophobic due to their psychological trauma with the Burmese. Thai culture is very strong and it is very difficult to evolve from the bonds of a rigid culture. China remained isolated from the rest of the world for that reason and only opened up their borders when forced by the Brits in 1886 and later in the 20th. century with Nixon. Now China has changed dramatically.

It will happen in Thailand too after they get it, finally. But they will have to go through near nonexistent levels of tourism to change their attitude toward foreigners. Then, maybe, they will start understanding that those foreigners they dislike and hate represent between 6 and 10 % of their GDP. Thais are smart but do not get it in this area regarding Farangs.

On Thursday, the duo revisited the shopping plaza so the owner called for shopping centre's security guards to send them to the police.

Neither is the store owner..

Will take some time to revisit the shops. Holy shit. Should be employed by the CIA.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted off-topic picture

Thailand has always been xenophobic due to their psychological trauma with the Burmese. Thai culture is very strong and it is very difficult to evolve from the bonds of a rigid culture. China remained isolated from the rest of the world for that reason and only opened up their borders when forced by the Brits in 1886 and later in the 20th. century with Nixon. Now China has changed dramatically.

It will happen in Thailand too after they get it, finally. But they will have to go through near nonexistent levels of tourism to change their attitude toward foreigners. Then, maybe, they will start understanding that those foreigners they dislike and hate represent between 6 and 10 % of their GDP. Thais are smart but do not get it in this area regarding Farangs.

Very good post, indeed. I agree that Thailand should build its own wall, much longer and higher than....aeehh send me some of the stuff you're on. Khop Khun La Lai.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted off-topic picture

Yep, that about sums it up I reckon!

This could be a king power type of scam... it's just some shop keeper accusing someone of theft and then them being arrested.

Where's the proof?

I could walk into a jewelers and a shop keeper could call police and accuse me of theft and then I'd be banged up, it stinks..

Yeah right! Guatemalan's buying 3M baht jewelry for their mother's in Colombia. Bet you their passports are fake B)