Eye Glasses In The South

MisterMan

Hi, I want to get some prescription eye glasses but am really really scared of all those places with girls in tight white outfits trying to sell me something. Do those places all really have a optometrist in the back room somewhere? I get scared thinking one of those girls will try to give me an eye exam and can't believe there are really that many optometrist just hanging out in kata for example where there are at least 10 eye glass shops.

I live in Kata and don't want to go to Phuket town if it is not necessary and don't want to pay a high price for being farang..I'll pay for quality and a proper exam.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Just the once I tried one of the big optician chain in Kata. They used one of those computerised eye testing machines. But I found the prices higher than I usually pay in Phuket Town, had to haggled then down by saying I lived locally. I ordered anti-scratch lenses, but doubt I got that as the lenses quickly scratched, and the frame bridge broke (twice). They repaired the first time, I just threw away the second time, and vowed never to go back.

I prefer to use one of the long established family opticians near the main banks in Phuket Town (road that leads into water cannon roundabout). You get a local price, good service, and good quality product.

I've had the same pair of glasses now for 3 years.

I had the prescription (actual glass) replaced last year however.

I use the shop in Central Festival called "Better Vision"

It is on the 2nd floor near the middle on the south side.

The best part about them is that you can take your glasses in there anytime, and they will repair frames, professionally clean the lenses, and adjust frames FOR FREE for the rest of your life!

When they told me that, i was skeptical but have now used this service about 20 times.

Each time, they say: "No charge" with a smile.

They also have a computerized machine to check your eyes and the guy who runs it, seems to know what he is doing.

Good luck.

I paid about 4,000 baht originally but a lot depends on which frames you pick out.

Just the once I tried one of the big optician chain in Kata. They used one of those computerised eye testing machines. But I found the prices higher than I usually pay in Phuket Town, had to haggled then down by saying I lived locally. I ordered anti-scratch lenses, but doubt I got that as the lenses quickly scratched, and the frame bridge broke (twice). They repaired the first time, I just threw away the second time, and vowed never to go back.

I prefer to use one of the long established family opticians near the main banks in Phuket Town (road that leads into water cannon roundabout). You get a local price, good service, and good quality product.

Ah! Just what I thought! Thank you both I will try the central shop.. not worth it in Kata