Donating Your Body To Science, A Hospital, Medical College

vagabond48

A friend asked me if there is a procedure and organization in Thailand to donate your body for various medical needs, science, medical college, part replacements etc.

I placed this thread here and not in the health forum since this is about donating your dead body.

placed this thread here and not in the health forum since this is about donating your dead body

I dont think they would want a LIVE BODY:crazy:.

Actually I think you have to be alive but brain dead for them to take the organs ie they keep you functioning then whip them out and kill you like that.

Gory as it is I think its wholly worthwhile but then you get the ethics of would you want your kidneys etc going to a murderer rapist etc etc etc

Edited by yabaaaa

if you live with thai folks, as in with your wife and her family you may want to discuss the matter with them...donating one's body to science may not be understood in the way that it's intended...

In Chiangmai, a grand funeral is held for all the ajahn yai, as they call them, after their body parts have been used for medical school. I'm told a bit of each body is reserved so that they can have a proper Thai funeral. All these 'bits' are cremated together. In our case, my partner, who was Chinese, was the only foreigner in over 200 ajahn yai commemorated at the funeral. The rest were Thai. That suggests that a lot of Thais, at least, have no problem with donating the body so long as a proper funeral is eventually held.

My body is of no use for transplants but an autopsy will be educational as to how not to mistreat the body.. :P

I’ve thought about it! Giving my body up for spare parts…..But it conflicts with my belief! My belief that all my parts will not have any mileage left on them.

If my body is seen as a car, when I die, I will screech in at the, Pearly gates, Val hail or wherever I'll end up! I will come to a stop sideways with bald tires, my brakes will barely stop me, shot suspension, back firing and missing on two cylinders. Not even scrap value!! Paint work shot to hel_l, all the trim missing, every panel will have at least one dent, seats and all the insides shagged right out no Tax, MOT or insurance. Fact is; when I get finish with it....... They won’t be able to rent it back out!!!......... One life... Live it!

My body is of no use for transplants but an autopsy will be educational as to how not to mistreat the body.. :P

I've thought about it! Giving my body up for spare parts…..But it conflicts with my belief! My belief that all my parts will not have any mileage left on them.

If my body is seen as a car, when I die, I will screech in at the, Pearly gates, Val hail or wherever I'll end up! I will come to a stop sideways with bald tires, my brakes will barely stop me, shot suspension, back firing and missing on two cylinders. Not even scrap value!! Paint work shot to hel_l, all the trim missing, every panel will have at least one dent, seats and all the insides shagged right out no Tax, MOT or insurance. Fact is; when I get finish with it....... They won't be able to rent it back out!!!......... One life... Live it!

Donating your body to a hospital is nothing to do with using it for spare parts. The bodies are used for medical students to dissect... so that the next generation of doctors know what the parts of a body look like, and get used to handling them.

People who donate are truly community-conscious citizens.

My first wife was an MD. I visited her gross anatomy lab, and I learned why they called it "gross" anatomy. I had dreams about it for weeks.:bah:

The truth is that they need to learn how it all fits together and to get attenuated to cutting it up.You can't learn this from books.

Edited by Pacificperson

So far, it sounds like there isn't any national registry or any notation on your driver's license indicating your legal wishes regarding your body.

Another issue I'm thinking is your age at the time of death. Assuming you were healthy, can the various parts still be used for replacement, if you were over 60 or over 70, or are your remains only good for hospital training use?

So far, it sounds like there isn't any national registry or any notation on your driver's license indicating your legal wishes regarding your body.

Another issue I'm thinking is your age at the time of death. Assuming you were healthy, can the various parts still be used for replacement, if you were over 60 or over 70, or are your remains only good for hospital training use?

Rather than ask people on this forum, I suggest you go to the nearest medical school and ask there. They will be only too willing to help.

If you wish to donate body to CMU, they have forms to fill out which you can obtain there. As was noted here, following the procedures, body will be cremated and some ashes given to whomever the deceased person wishes and monks perform ceremony. If you die of cancer or AIDS, or for some reason body is not useful to university, the school will still provide the same services. I have decided to do this myself, but I must admit not only for scientific reasons, but to save my family the cost of funeral and cemetery expenses.