Bumspray

Andreas84

Since I came to Thailand, I have discovered the bumspray and find it a much more hygenic and common-sense thing to use, than toilet paper. I wonder if it is easy to get a bumspray installed in most bathrooms in example in Europe and the US? Can the bumspray itself just be bought here in Thailand, and then installed in ones home country? Does it need some specific expertise/instructions to do so, as most people there are not familiar with the technology? Anyone have experience with installing a bumspray in a western country?

I bought a couple of units at Tesco and brought them to the USA. I hired an amateur plumber to install one, it only took about an hour after a trip to the store to buy some flex hose and a splitter. I was pleasantly surprised that the sizes of everything matched up. It works great, we couldn't be more pleased. I personally did this for medical reasons as I sometimes have had problems with hemorrhoids, they haven't bothered me a bit since I went paperless. My wife is happy too because she has always preferred the bidet to using paper.

They already have the same much higher quality sprayers in the States no need to bring them in they just use them for other purposes like washing dishes is all.. And yes no reason they can't be installed in the bathroom for that purpose nothing special to be done or needed. In fact US plumbing would be much easier to install one in most every case as they use shutoff valves to cut off the water flow where one is working instead of having to shut off the entire house like most have to do here...

Except that moisture and water born bacteria can create other skin irritations and infections such as yeast infections especially in women but not limited to them exclusively by any means in lieu of your hemorrhoids so don't be too complacent and always dry well afterwards, I don't use it as any sort of replacement, only enhancement....

Edited by WarpSpeed

They already have the same much higher quality sprayers in the States no need to bring them in they just use them for other purposes like washing dishes is all.. And yes no reason they can't be installed in the bathroom for that purpose nothing special to be done or needed. In fact US plumbing would be much easier to install one in most every case as they use shutoff valves to cut off the water flow where one is working instead of having to shut off the entire house like most have to do here...

Except that moisture and water born bacteria can create other skin irritations and infections such as yeast infections especially in women but not limited to them exclusively by any means in lieu of your hemorrhoids so don't be too complacent and always dry well afterwards, I don't use it as any sort of replacement, only enhancement....

The reason I bought in Thailand was price. I got them in Thailand for $6 as opposed to over $30 when I looked in the states. I had thought about using the kitchen side sprayer but never really checked it out. You're right, it should work.

should be easy enough to DIY...just buy a 'T' fitting and attach to the little pipe coming outta the wall that supplies the toilet tank, you will then have two outlets: one for the toilet tank supply and one for your new bum sprayer...wrap the threads with jointing tape and attach both. You might want to install a small valve to throttle the bum sprayer flow for comfort and to isolate as bum sprayers wear out and start to leak and haveta be replaced periodically...and western bathrooms don't usually come with a floor drain like they do in the east so if there is a problem with the sprayer the water has nowhere to go...

The biggest job will be fixing a bum sprayer 'holder' to your tiled wall.

Beware...I wanted to install a bum sprayer in our bathroom in the west and my then western wife would not have it; she was afraid of what other westerners would say ('yew mean that yew don't use toilet paper? eeewwwww...')...this eventually led to the demise of our marriage... <_<

Edited by tutsiwarrior

should be easy enough to DIY...just buy a 'T' fitting and attach to the little pipe coming outta the wall that supplies the toilet tank, you will then have two outlets: one for the toilet tank supply and one for your new bum sprayer...wrap the threads with jointing tape and attach both. You might want to install a small valve to throttle the bum sprayer flow for comfort and to isolate as bum sprayers wear out and start to leak and haveta be replaced periodically...and western bathrooms don't usually come with a floor drain like they do in the east so if there is a problem with the sprayer the water has nowhere to go...

The biggest job will be fixing a bum sprayer 'holder' to your tiled wall.

Beware...I wanted to install a bum sprayer in our bathroom in the west and my then western wife would not have it; she was afraid of what other westerners would say ('yew mean that yew don't use toilet paper? eeewwwww...')...this eventually led to the demise of our marriage... <_<

Mine has a shutoff valve so it doesn't drip when not in use. The mount was no problem because the sink is in a wood cabinet and is close enough that I could mount it on the side of the cabinet.

Try this product.

Cost is about USD 30, but there is no need to reach back and point the nozzel. Just turn the knob and wiggle a bit until you hit the right spot.

post-38575-006978300 1278148840_thumb.jp

post-38575-085393700 1278148857_thumb.jp

post-38575-066492000 1278149068_thumb.jp

For those who are looking for something to keep handy in case you are in the woods/on the road and need to take a "big healthy one" here is a lifesaver. The Toto Portable Bidet

post-38575-061547600 1278149317_thumb.jp

post-38575-004754500 1278149327_thumb.jp

And of course there are the high end models: Toto

Enjoy and keep yourself clean! :thumbsup:

TheWalkingMan

There is actually quite a lot of info on the 'net if you do a search. I thought I had read somewhere that the 'bumguns' were illegal in the U.S., at least in public places. The 'net also mentions them being illegal in Australia.

One site had this quote;

Technically, your installation is illegal because it does not have back flow protection to prevent cross contamination between the waste and the potable water system.

Kitchen faucet sprayers do have this but it is built into the actual faucet and would not be present if you just used the hand spray hose.

This may be a valid concern. I must admit, I too miss my 'bumgun' when I am traveling ( I didn't see them in Vietnam either on a recent trip, but I wasn't there long. May have just been my hotel.).

It' called a Bumgun. :giggle:

I thought that that was the name of an expensive private hospital in BKK...

btw...I'm presently working in Vietnam and in my office building there are no bum squirters, they provide toilet paper instead...horrible as you can smell the result when at close quarters in discussion with associates...

my accommodation has a nice bum squirter arrangement with a modulating valve...I always try to finish my business at home before getting a taxi to the office :unsure:

Edited by tutsiwarrior

<BR><P>Beware...I wanted to install a bum sprayer in our bathroom in the west and my then western wife would not have it; she was afraid of what other westerners would say ('yew mean that yew don't use toilet paper? eeewwwww...')...this eventually led to the demise of our marriage...

Really, or are you exaggerating? I remember that when I first came to Thailand, it took me a while before I started using the bumspray. I had many strange ideas about it, thinking it was unhygienic etc - I was afraid that when spraying, the water and the shit would go in all directions etc. I am sure this applies to many people. After using it, my experience showed me that it is really much more hygienic than using toilet paper. I see many good things about the west, such as hygienic standard, but using toilet paper does not fit in with that picture in my eyes. I think that for the sense of hygiene and common sense, the practice of using a bumspray should be introduced in all western countries. I am sure many people in the west unconsciously assume that toilet paper must be the best thing, since it is used in the west, and that they have a lot of fear for the unknown, in example in the form of using a bumspray. How did you other guys first feel about the bumspray, when coming to Thailand?

Edited by Andreas84

Yeah, in the UK it would require a double check valve, apart from that no issues (except for the 3oC jet in winter).

Ok, so the issue of needing "back flow protection to prevent cross contamination between the waste and the potable water system" is solved simply by having a double check valve? And what is the 3oC jet in winter?

Edited by Andreas84

Water in cold clements is cold in the winter (and most of the year) - that would be a real wake-me-up.

Ok, I see, that would be a weird feeling, I guess. Perhaps not so easy to install some kind of system which could ensure moderately temperatured water for the bumspray?

Water in cold clements is cold in the winter (and most of the year) - that would be a real wake-me-up.

Ok, I see, that would be a weird feeling, I guess. Perhaps not so easy to install some kind of system which could ensure moderately temperatured water for the bumspray?

Use the typical boiler that is used in Thailand for hot water. No problem.

<BR><P>Beware...I wanted to install a bum sprayer in our bathroom in the west and my then western wife would not have it; she was afraid of what other westerners would say ('yew mean that yew don't use toilet paper? eeewwwww...')...this eventually led to the demise of our marriage...

Really, or are you exaggerating? I remember that when I first came to Thailand, it took me a while before I started using the bumspray. I had many strange ideas about it, thinking it was unhygienic etc - I was afraid that when spraying, the water and the shit would go in all directions etc. I am sure this applies to many people. After using it, my experience showed me that it is really much more hygienic than using toilet paper. I see many good things about the west, such as hygienic standard, but using toilet paper does not fit in with that picture in my eyes. I think that for the sense of hygiene and common sense, the practice of using a bumspray should be introduced in all western countries. I am sure many people in the west unconsciously assume that toilet paper must be the best thing, since it is used in the west, and that they have a lot of fear for the unknown, in example in the form of using a bumspray. How did you other guys first feel about the bumspray, when coming to Thailand?

I combine bumsprayer with "hygenic wet wipes" from Tesco. This gives me a real feeling of being clean dowstairs.

The whole (excuse pun) thing about toilet paper in the UK and the USA is money.

Imagine a world where every toilet had a bumgun - there would be a lot less images of puppy labradors....for a start.

:P

Is that "boiler" easily available in the west? How would it be connected to the bumspray - in the same way as it is used for the showers? 

As was mentioned by a previous poster, the bumspray can be installed like this: "Just buy a 'T' fitting and attach to the little pipe coming outta the wall that supplies the toilet tank, you will then have two outlets: one for the toilet tank supply and one for your new bum sprayer...wrap the threads with jointing tape and attach both. "

I guess, then, that from the outlet which will be used for the bumspray, the water will first go into the box for heating the water, then the bumspray will be connected to that box?

Is that "boiler" easily available in the west? How would it be connected to the bumspray - in the same way as it is used for the showers?

As was mentioned by a previous poster, the bumspray can be installed like this: "Just buy a 'T' fitting and attach to the little pipe coming outta the wall that supplies the toilet tank, you will then have two outlets: one for the toilet tank supply and one for your new bum sprayer...wrap the threads with jointing tape and attach both. "

I guess, then, that from the outlet which will be used for the bumspray, the water will first go into the box for heating the water, then the bumspray will be connected to that box?

I think a little forethought and common sense is needed here.

Hot or even warm water on a shitty ass and poo filled toilet bowl.... Ummmm now that would smell good, better have a dam_n good extractor in that bathroom :bah:

I think a little forethought and common sense is needed here.

Hot or even warm water on a shitty ass and poo filled toilet bowl.... Ummmm now that would smell good, better have a dam_n good extractor in that bathroom :bah:

it's better to leave the smell at home than to walk around all day with an unclean azzhole...all sorts of associated embarrassment can be avoided, like bein' fitted out inna $2000 suit an' tryin' to impress and ye stink ob shit... :bah:

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I do not believe anyone was advocating the use of hot water. The aim was to make it less cool than the normal '''cold''' water found in many lands. The normal 3.5 KVA water heaters used in Thailand are not going to make such winter water hot but might take the chill factor off a bit.

How did you other guys first feel about the bumspray, when coming to Thailand?

On my first visit to Thailand i was in a hotel in Bangkok and I remember looking at this strange hose attached to the side of the toilet and wondering what it was for, held it in my hand, though some more...nah clueless...when i finally worked it out it was a revelation.

Fantastic idea and should be adopted worldwide.

I bought a couple of units at Tesco and brought them to the USA. I hired an amateur plumber to install one, it only took about an hour after a trip to the store to buy some flex hose and a splitter. I was pleasantly surprised that the sizes of everything matched up. It works great, we couldn't be more pleased. I personally did this for medical reasons as I sometimes have had problems with hemorrhoids, they haven't bothered me a bit since I went paperless. My wife is happy too because she has always preferred the bidet to using paper.

Why has'nt anyone fitted a small brush to the outlet of the 'bumspray'?

On a rotating base the waterflow could rotate the bristles and give a good scrub to your nether regions

Why has'nt anyone fitted a small brush to the outlet of the 'bumspray'?

On a rotating base the waterflow could rotate the bristles and give a good scrub to your nether regions

I just don't think this would work, I know I wouldn't want a brush up my butt. Also, you would have to change bristles or somehow sanitize them between uses. I like the bumsprayer just the way it is. I am presently living in Virginia, USA and it does get cold in the winter but the temperature of my spray is fine without heat, quite refreshing.

should be easy enough to DIY...just buy a 'T' fitting and attach to the little pipe coming outta the wall

For the amateur there's a very easy fitting which clamps over the pipe then you wind down a cutter which is part of it and it bores a hole into the pipe and seals at the same time. Not expensive, cheap, and it has a tap to moderate the water flow!

post-17221-060397800 1279563657_thumb.jp

I agree wholeheartedly I just hate staying in swanky places in BKK now where they think it's bad form to have bumsprays. It seems really unhygienic now.

So I'd like to add a further refinement for the west.

Back in England the water gets pretty damned cold. I think it's worth fitting a small water tank in line which can warm up to ambient temperature. It would be even better if you could fit it into the airing cupboard then you've got warmish water when everything around you's freezing.

Do my contributions get me the Order of the Bumspray?

Edited by sleepyjohn

it's better to leave the smell at home than to walk around all day with an unclean azzhole...all sorts of associated embarrassment can be avoided, like bein' fitted out inna $2000 suit an' tryin' to impress and ye stink ob shit... :bah:

Haha, I got a good laugh from that one!

And by the way, as another poster commented, I do not think anyone meant that it would be good to use warm water for the bumspray, just that the water could be too cold in the wintertime in certain countries. I believe one poster stated he lives in the US, and that although the water is cold in the winter, he finds it refreshing? Anyway, that sounds promising.

Sleepyjohns' suggestion  "it's worth fitting a small water tank in line which can warm up to ambient temperature", seems like a good idea.

Actually you probably would not need a heater most places as you could just use an inline filter housing (filter not needed) to keep a small reservoir available at room temperature. It really does not require that much water.

Haha, I got a good laugh from that one!

And by the way, as another poster commented, I do not think anyone meant that it would be good to use warm water for the bumspray, just that the water could be too cold in the wintertime in certain countries. I believe one poster stated he lives in the US, and that although the water is cold in the winter, he finds it refreshing? Anyway, that sounds promising.

Sleepyjohns' suggestion "it's worth fitting a small water tank in line which can warm up to ambient temperature", seems like a good idea.

I would think twice if fitting in a rented accomodation in the UK or other places that might get health checked. I strongly suspect they do not meet Water Bylaws as there is a chance of contamination between waste & clean water. Stupid as it seems, thats why all shower hoses in the UK have to go through a completely useless plastic loop attached to the slide rail.

A happy ex-plumber!

Edited by Dave the Dude