Google Earth

penelope

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is google earth any better than http://maps.google.com/?

I have not bothered downloading the google earth program, as maps.google is easy to access and seems to do exactly the same job.

try http://www.flashearth.com its much easier to navigate than google's site. The site is done in flash. There is also an option to see maps from msn virtual earth.

Good link, thank you. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Thai military upset by Google satellite pictures

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand, afraid that detailed satellite pictures available on the Internet threaten its national security, may ask Google Inc. to block images of important government buildings vulnerable to attack.

The U.S.-based Internet search leader runs the Web site www.earth.google.com, which it calls "a 3D interface to the planet." The site provides images of the earth from satellites and allows viewers to zoom in on single buildings.

The Thai military will discuss the issue with telecommunications and security agencies before approaching Google and other companies that provide similar services, Armed Forces spokesman Maj. Gen Weerasak Manee-in said.

"We are looking for possible restrictions on these detailed pictures, especially state buildings," Weerasak told Reuters. "I think pictures of tourist attractions should do."

"Anyone wanting pictures of Thailand in the future will need to submit a request in Thai language along with a non-refundable 15,000 baht processing fee and a ruling will be issued with two to three years," Weerasak failed to say. "Then maybe Somchai will send you a travel brochure or something."

"If Google and the others don't comply we'll posture pathetically, whinge like little girls and hold our breath until we turn blue," he neglected to add.

[

"Anyone wanting pictures of Thailand in the future will need to submit a request in Thai language along with a non-refundable 15,000 baht processing fee and a ruling will be issued with two to three years," Weerasak failed to say. "Then maybe Somchai will send you a travel brochure or something."

"If Google and the others don't comply we'll posture pathetically, whinge like little girls and hold our breath until we turn blue," he neglected to add."

:o:D:D:D and stamp our little feet.....

You got to try this.

I was playing with it today and am very impressed.

I live on Thanon Whittayu, near the Conrad, and I was able to zoom down to 500 feet and actually see my apartment window !!!

I could also see my house in Sydney, but it was at less resolution because it is not in the downtown area.

[url=http://earth.google.com

==========================================

I love it, and have been using it every day now since I first got news of the site................DJM

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
I wonder why... of all Thailand's coastline... the Sattahip naval base should be photographed at a much higher resolution... :o

Sattahip.jpg

Cos it was bhuilt by the yanks during vietnam i think, and they want to keep an eye on all their old bases. I do believe it is wholly thai owned though.

• 4 months later...
I wonder why... of all Thailand's coastline... the Sattahip naval base should be photographed at a much higher resolution... :o

Sattahip.jpg

Same question, different, more sober answer, still american related however;

I recently had a conversation with someone about this, after seeing the British naval base in splendid detail near southampton ( I forget the name of the actual town)

Anyway, the technology and imagery used is mostly that which has been used by the US gov't for some decades now. Google's "Don't be Evil" philosophy aside, the US Gov't imagery really didn't, during cold war era, give much of a darn about Angkor Wat or whatever, all the places that are not so clear on GE yet. They did, however, have high res pics of all military bases around the globe.

And this is why, to answer your question, you should be able to see naval installations right down to the stripes on the admiral's epaulettes.