Google Earth

penelope

You got to try this.

I was playing with it today and am very impressed.

I live on Thanon Whittayu, near the Conrad, and I was able to zoom down to 500 feet and actually see my apartment window !!!

I could also see my house in Sydney, but it was at less resolution because it is not in the downtown area.

Google Earth

Note : good graphics system and broadband help.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am really fighting with it!

I can not get something which is good enough to recognize streets.

Can you upload a screenshot from something?

You got to try this.

I live on Thanon Whittayu, near the Conrad, and I was able to zoom down to 500 feet and actually see my apartment window !!!

I could also see my house  in Sydney, but it was at less resolution because it is not in the downtown area.

Google Earth

I can not get anything where I can see a window (or it must be big like a soccer place), I tried USA (best resolution) Austria and thailand and the trial version of this 400 US$ version.

Till now nothing realy good...

You got to try this.

I could also see my house  in Sydney, but it was at less resolution because it is not in the downtown area.

Google Earth

On the heels of a recent post regarding Google's satellite photos....

Google today released Google Earth which combines both satellite photos and it's mapping capabilities. Mapping capabilities also include sites of interest.

It's a desktop application for Windows. Free. Blew me away.

http://earth.google.com

Here is the THREAD I started earlier.

The product used to be called "Keyhole".Google acquired the compnay and rebranded it "Google Earth". With their capital(financial and intellectual), I'm sure it can only get better.

On the heels of a recent post regarding Google's satellite photos....

Google today released Google Earth which combines both satellite photos and it's mapping capabilities. Mapping capabilities also include sites of interest.

It's a desktop application for Windows. Free. Blew me away.

http://earth.google.com

Here is the THREAD I started earlier.

The product used to be called "Keyhole".Google acquired the compnay and rebranded it "Google Earth". With their capital(financial and intellectual), I'm sure it can only get better.

And for those of you who are struggling to get good results (you really do need broadband and a good graphics card), I zoomed down to 600 feet on a well known Bangkok landmark (Emporium Mall).I have attached an image.

emporium.bmp

The resolution varies by place; but I have seen the bungalow I rented when on holiday in rural Australia, I if I close one eye and squint a little I can definitely see a black smudge that is the roof of my condo in Jomtien! Had a look at London and you can see people on the streets.

For a free tool it is quite wonderful, but makes you wonder what the US military can look at with the technology they must have available; last time I walk outside with my "George Bush Sucks" hat on!

I can not see any house in Nord Pattaya.

Military: There were rumours that the USA Army could read the number of cards if you put it flat on the floor and the weather is good. Not sure if that is true.

Hughden: If you had a hat on, they don't know it was you :o

The resolution varies by place; but I have seen the bungalow I rented when on holiday in rural Australia, I if I close one eye and squint a little I can definitely see a black smudge that is the roof of my condo in Jomtien! Had a look at London and you can see people on the streets.

For a free tool it is quite wonderful, but makes you wonder what the US military can look at with the technology they must have available; last time I walk outside with my "George Bush Sucks" hat on!

You got to try this.

Google Earth

check screenshot in General Topics...there is another Google Earth thread running there

As usual, can't d/l the file due to our wonderful WebSense (Bess) filtering software. :o

Anything that is even mildly amusing is blocked, and if anyone on TV ever uses a naughty word, then the program will probably block this site as well. :D

And for those of you who are struggling to get good results (you really do need broadband and a good graphics card), I zoomed down to 600 feet on a well known Bangkok landmark (Emporium Mall).I have attached an image.

Hi Penelope, it is a great site, maybe my graphics card is not as good as yours but I can't zoom down to 600Ft for some reason. Well i can but the image is very blurred, is that because of my graphics card not being up to scratch?

I only started playing with the site a few minutes ago, so maybe I need to play around with it a little more to get good results.

I have 100Mbps ADSL connection.

Interesting,

Just think about it, it's already in daily lexicon, ... hey, Google me xxxx ...

It's the default "go-to" data base, last word, ultra matrix intel engine, scary, but if Goggle can't find it, you probably don't need to worry about it,

Yes, the Sat photos are awesome, and as you know, all the major literary works will soon be available via Google eBooks ... :o

i tried to look at north korea to look what kind of food friend kim is eating today, but also bad quality

I am with all locations from my family in low resolution areas :o

in two cases the picture is ending a few 100 meter from my property :D

Even Vienna is in low resolution.

Maybe they can ask Putin if he sell some nice pictures :D

I can see my house in Samutprakan. I followed the route around with my daughter to get to her school. My wife can't see it at all - the unfamiliar angle, or something.

Commodore64%20error%20message(bg)a.gif

Interesting,

Just think about it, it's already in daily lexicon, ... hey, Google me xxxx ...

It's the default "go-to" data base, last word, ultra matrix intel engine, scary, but if Goggle can't find it, you probably don't need to worry about it,

Yes, the Sat photos are awesome, and as you know, all the major literary works will soon be available via Google eBooks ... :o

I wonder how old the images are, because I cannot see the 2 new buildings next to my building in Tokyo, also I cannot see Mori Tower, Roppongi Hills.

Anybody know how old they are, on the screen it says the images are 2005, I guess that's just the year they are copied if you choose to download an image.

Very good site though. Ok, I'm off to London now! :o

Edited by Bilko

Sure is good to have free resources of this standard. Imagine what you'd have to pay if Bill Gates was running them.

Hi Penelope, it is a great site, maybe my graphics card is not as good as yours but I can't zoom down to 600Ft for some reason. Well i can but the image is very blurred, is that because of my graphics card not being up to scratch?

I only started playing with the site a few minutes ago, so maybe I need to play around with it a little more to get good results.

I have 100Mbps ADSL connection.

This is a real-time product. So while you are zooming in, it is continually downloading image data from Google. If you let it sit in one place for a while, the image will get sharper. There is probably a lot of load on their servers because of the recent launch which would slow you down.

p.s. I've never heard of a 100Mbps ADSL connection before.

aw man! It´s late on the thirtieth of June and they´ve (google) disabled downloads temporarily.

I want to see my world man!!

Try this.

I'll leave it up on my server a few days unless I get swamped.

KITT, can you check the link? Or has it flooded already?

Thanks. Bonnie, I´ll meet you out the back.

(sorry, been getting on the movie quote thread too much lately.) :o

I wonder how old the images are, because I cannot see the 2 new buildings next to my building in Tokyo, also I cannot see Mori Tower, Roppongi Hills.

Anybody know how old they are, on the screen it says the images are 2005, I guess that's just the year they are copied if you choose to download an image.

Very good site though. Ok, I'm off to London now!    :o

They are up to 3 years old and as recent as 2 months.

This is a real-time product. So while you are zooming in, it is continually downloading image data from Google. If you let it sit in one place for a while, the image will get sharper. There is probably a lot of load on their servers because of the recent launch which would slow you down.

p.s. I've never heard of a 100Mbps ADSL connection before.

Yep, I played with it a bit more and am now getting it right. :o

PS. Type 100Mbps ADSL into google, 660,000 sites.