Google Earth

penelope

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is doubtful we will see the image resolution get any better. The US military limits resolution for civilian use to 1 pixel per square meter. What that means is if standing up you would have just one pixel represent you and if you were laying flat on the ground you would have just 2 pixels represent you which is not enough to make out much of anything of a person. A car might have 8 or so pixels; again not enough to make out much about it besides color. It is pointless to zoom in more closely so I don't understand why the program allows you to zoom in tighter to where it just blurs the image. Nice program though and I can see a lot of potential for future use.

1 pixel per square meter. If you stand you need at least a big mexican hat to get 1 pix.

If you are laying flat ony the fattest of us get 1 pixel.

Bad that Google sits in USA. If they would sit somewhere else they would not need to care on what the US military want or not want :-(

I heared you can buy really good pictures from russia, but you need to buy a hugh area and that gets expensive.

It is doubtful we will see the image resolution get any better. The US military limits resolution for civilian use to 1 pixel per square meter. What that means is if standing up you would have just one pixel represent you and if you were laying flat on the ground you would have just 2 pixels represent you which is not enough to make out much of anything of a person. A car might have 8 or so pixels; again not enough to make out much about it besides color. It is pointless to zoom in more closely so I don't understand why the program allows you to zoom in tighter to where it just blurs the image. Nice program though and I can see a lot of potential for future use.

Further to this thread can I suggest those like myself who are playing with this application on a landline or GPRS back up the ‘cache’ and associated files incase of a major disaster. It is located:-

C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Logon Identity>\Applications Data\Google\GoogleEarth\

Edited by bdenner

For obvious reasons, USA database is the best already integrating intersections, restaraunts, lodging, 3d buildings, etc. for major cities. It's only a matter of time before they cover the whole world like this.

I want to know who is/are the agent(s) for Thailand's database, because I've found many inacuracies as far as locations. I.e. Nontaburi's mark is marked at Amphur Nakorn Chai sri in Nakorn Pathom province.

I'm quite oriented with maps, particularly Thailand, and am confident I can do ten times better than him/her covering Thailand.

As far as I can tell, other location markers other than cities are ambiguous at best...not yet tourist/business commuter friendly.

If they're planning on improving the database to be of standard with the US database, I want to contribute as far as Thailand.

I smell business.

For obvious reasons, USA database is the best already integrating intersections, restaraunts, lodging, 3d buildings, etc. for major cities. It's only a matter of time before they cover the whole world like this.

I want to know who is/are the agent(s) for Thailand's database, because I've found many inacuracies as far as locations. I.e. Nontaburi's mark is marked at Amphur Nakorn Chai sri in Nakorn Pathom province.

I'm quite oriented with maps, particularly Thailand, and am confident I can do ten times better than him/her covering Thailand.

As far as I can tell, other location markers other than cities are ambiguous at best...not yet tourist/business commuter friendly.

If they're planning on improving the database to be of standard with the US database, I want to contribute as far as Thailand.

I smell business.

Come on Google Earth Thai agent(s), I'm gonna get your job eventually

Give it up

I'm younger...and got more passion left then you (you, who still wants to place Krung Thep marker in Thonburi when that epode has passed hundreds of years already---the only thing left of Thonburi as far as Krungthep is concerned is many prostitute cafe hubs and a few klongs that mostly locals use in their decline to accept the modern concrete takeover of their heritage)

I will always have the ancient part of my soul as it could never be lost...only forgotten (read Plato's Meno's Paradox) but believe I'm better suit for the job of commercializing Google Earth for Thailand than you....obviously with such inacuracies in the current Thailand database that you submitted...

Give it up without a fight whoever you may be...

man if I would be the CEO, I would give you the Job, but I really have my doubts if the google CEO reads the Thai Visa forum.

But anyway good luck

I smell business.

Give it up

I'm younger...and got more passion left then you (you, who still wants to place Krung Thep marker in Thonburi when that epode has passed hundreds of years already---the only thing left of Thonburi as far as Krungthep is concerned is many prostitute cafe hubs and a few klongs that mostly locals use in their decline to accept the modern concrete takeover of their heritage)

I will always have the ancient part of my soul as it could never be lost...only forgotten (read Plato's Meno's Paradox) but believe I'm better suit for the job of commercializing Google Earth for Thailand than you....obviously with such inacuracies in the current Thailand database that you submitted...

I smell business.

Give it up

What are your formal qualifications and experience in the field of GIS Data Acquisition ??

###### ... I cannot get in any farthere than making out the RBSC racetrack on Ratchadamri Rd, Bangkok. Pic is fuzzy at 8000 ft.

What am I doing wrong ??

Viewing my home on CA is no problem, though. Gets down to 400 ft with clear pic.

Edited by paulfr

Think it is a really great product. A bit like an updated version of www.terraserver.com where you can look at satelite maps around the world. But this has great usability features. Will be good when they have mapped roads and the such for many countries like they have done in major US cities.

Can't see Singapore. Covered mostly in cloud.

A great prog, but I'm going nuts trying to find a good landmark like Jatujak Market. :o

If anyone finds it could you post the Lat & Log info?

Some pix of LoS seem quite old & blurry, but over Sinney I can see the umbrellas of the cafe where I have my coffee every morning :D

thanks

A great prog, but I'm going nuts trying to find a good landmark like Jatujak Market. :o

Some pix of LoS seem quite old & blurry, but over Sinney I can see the umbrellas of the cafe where I have my coffee every morning :D

thanks

I was disappointed with the Bangkok coverage. As I zoom somewhat near Bangkok (say 20 miles above) I see a distinct line where the left half is green/orange and the right half is gray like they are two different photos meshed together. The green is very low quality and you can't make out any detail at all. Unfortunately, this covers all of downtown. About the only thing I could get out of it was a blurry lumpini park and airport. The gray right side area provides excellent detail and you can zoom in and see everything very clearly but that's an area fairly far away from the thick of things. Just zoom in closely stradding the line and you will see the huge difference in quality of what might have been.

thanks

I was disappointed with the Bangkok coverage. As I zoom somewhat near Bangkok (say 20 miles above) I see a distinct line where the left half is green/orange and the right half is gray like they are two different photos meshed together. The green is very low quality and you can't make out any detail at all. Unfortunately, this covers all of downtown. About the only thing I could get out of it was a blurry lumpini park and airport. The gray right side area provides excellent detail and you can zoom in and see everything very clearly but that's an area fairly far away from the thick of things. Just zoom in closely stradding the line and you will see the huge difference in quality of what might have been.

Do you not have DSL ? or a lower end graphics card ??

Previous post with image of Emporium

P, I don't know who you are addressing, but I'm on b/band cable in SYD.

Aus and other countries are fine but LOS is a bit of a disaster.

I only found out abt the prog from a mate in Adelaide last night and only found your post today. :o

Do you not have DSL ? or a lower end graphics card ??

I see--sukhumvit road does indeed make it in the good quality side. But everything west of the Chit Lom sky train station is in the grainy part where you can't make out anything. I am running DSL, fast sys, fast graphics card BTW and reset the google earth caches.

London and other cities are fine , but go to Cheltenham and its mostly blurred.

Whether this is because "Big Ears" doesn't want to be seen, i dunno.

Anyone from Cheltenham looking for Big Ears? (GCHQ) :o

Not all coverage is equal, hence the patchwork of some very high quality some notso.. I am just outside a high quality line where about 1/2 km to my east you can zoom down to see my buddies swimming pool but on my side of the patchwork its hard to even see roads or major landmarks..

However as an avid Atlas searcher its a great little toy / tool and beats the pants of the Nasa prog..

Hi Red.

I don't think a better card wouls improve an original crappy pic.

I could be wrong. :o

Take a look at BKK and move north, when you get just a bit south of Don Muang the pix deteriorate to a blurr if you go down to 900ft.

I currently have an NVIDIA GeFORCE4 MX 440 with AGP 8X card.  I assume I'd get better results with the Google Earth by upgrading the card???  Suggestions?  Prices?

-redwood

A better graphics card will render the 3D images better and faster. But as the previous poster said, it wont make any difference to image areas acquired at lower res.

A faster connection will obviously download the image data quicker.

So DSL and at least a mid range graphics card are recommended for a smoother experience.

Edited by penelope

thanks

Picture of Jatujak atttached.I could have zoomed in closer, but wanted to get a broader perspective.

jatujak.bmp

Pen, how would that improve crap pix?

Thanks for the jatujak.bmp but it won't work for me, do I need a special reader?

I click play and nothing happens........ it's in acdsee.

----------

working now.... cheers :o

Edited by udon

I've got some new toys, and I was playing around with Google Earth last night with this setup :

PC with ATI Radeon X800 graphics card , running DVI video output(digital) into 50 inch pioneer plasma (PDP-5050HD), pure digital signal the whole way.

Once I had cached enough image data, the user experience was spectacular, smooth, detailed(in hi res areas). Cant wait until more hi res images are captured !!