Which Home Security System.......

skippybangkok

Got a nice tax refund via LTF scheme ( here in thailand )........ want to put some of it towards a security system for the house. No need to talk about dogs or employing the services of geese, but has anyone got recommendations on a decent security system (brand/installer) for bangkok

thx.

Well, it's been about 9 days since your original post with only one reply, excluding this reply. You might want to reconsider the dogs and geese approaches. ;)

Are gremlins considered watchful pets?

Rottweiler to alert and Glock to elliminate if able to pass dog. Very easy to move between residences. 2-3k a month in dogfood though, but the 9mm are less than 20 baht

In my first property here in 2003 I had an advanced wireless Israeli system. Never considered it again

Edited by katabeachbum

I had a system fitted 4 months ago from this company via their local agents in Pattaya:- www.smartalarm.co.th - fully wired and relying mostly on proximity sensors on all the doors and windows. The wiring is very neat and unobtrusive. It was expensive, but we have a large 2-storey house with 4 bedrooms and a lot of doors and windows. I consider it's already paid for itself, as we had an attempted break-in around Songkran which was deterred by the alarm going off as soon as chummy tested one of the doors. The stupid mutt tried a different door about half an hour later with the same result. The system is programmed to call my mobile if the alarm is activated, so I was able to call out security and speak to a neighbour immediately, although they didn't spot the burglar. I could see from the control panel when I came back which doors had been attacked, although there was no visible damage.

We have the WisDom system, it's made by the Rokonet Group..German I think. Was and probably still is pretty top of the range. It has 'Follow Me', as many zones as you like. We can switch it on or off from our mobiles, accept alarms etc etc from anywhere. In nearly three years it's never gone off for no reason, sets every time. Has a home and away setting..eg (we have the home setting as)everywhere but our bedroom at night.

If the alarm goes off when you are out, not only can you accept it, but you can also listen in to what is happening in the house and actually speak to persons in there.

PM me if you want a contact phone number. I can recommend the system. It's wireless except that the control unit needs an electrical supply and the external alarm a wire from the control unit.

Replacing my old alarm system that came with the house is also on my plans. Although I will miss seeing the mickey-mouse ears on the control panel. :) I have begun asking around to get referrals and reviews.

So far, "Andre" at Master Safety Enterprise in Pattaya has the most referrals. ESC is next.

From Master's site, I found they use the Rokonet line which the last poster mentioned. The systems they promote on the site are here: http://www.thaisecurity.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19

I googled rokonet, as well as the sub-brands prosys, orbit, etc and found good reviews. The reviews and comments on line were also positive for this equipment. Ebay also sold some rokonet parts which gave me a USD perpsective on the cost.

I have not called any company out to review my needs yet ... only doing the prelim via internet. Once I talk to someone, I will post that as well.

In the USA, we only use Digital/DSC. Another poster mentioned the use of Bosch. I'm still looking for more comments although I think the Rokonet line looks promising.

I just had Andre install a system for me. It is the Rokonet and seems to be working quite well. No false alarms, only done by me when I screw up the code upon entry late at night or when I open the front door in the morning before I had my first cup of coffee!

It is a wired system as the house was in build mode. Andre knows his stuff. PM me if you want more details.

Also met with ESC. Great outfit also. Andre was a bit cheaper, and ESC was quite slow to respond to my initial inquiries...but then did OK after the first visit. Steve was the guy's name if I remember correctly. He was quite good.

Do any of the security systems have a viscious bark sound? That might work - but really, who is going to respond to an alarm going off in Bangkok? Maybe another case where anything is better than nothing, but to me the best security is good locks and good neighbors.

Do any of the security systems have a viscious bark sound? That might work - but really, who is going to respond to an alarm going off in Bangkok? Maybe another case where anything is better than nothing, but to me the best security is good locks and good neighbors.

An alarm system is one more part of a person's security program. I made the analogy before to a castle with the sentry post, the moat, drawbridge, saferoom, etc. A house should be the same principle -- fence, locked gate, dog, security bars, secure windows, alarm system, cctv etc.

I have had an alarm system in every home I have ever owned.

First - when home, the alarm provides NOISE and attention if someone attempts to break in. Statistically the noise alone will send a burglar away. Look at the forum and see how many people were stolen from while they slept. At that point, their life was in danger as someone was already in their house. The alarm prevents that. And it makes your wife much more comfortable about the sanctity of the home when hubby is away.

Second - when away, the alarm lets you know that someone (at least) TRIED to break into your home. That lets you share the info with your neighbors that they might be next; and lets you see where the potential break in would have occured. CCTV would also provide other information which may provide clues as to how access was gained, where did they park, do you KNOW them, etc.

As to the comment about police responding ... it is the same in the countryside. If they are not bored, and there isn't a good game on, they might drop by and see what is going on ... when they feel like it.

To some - it is overkill. To others - it is a fact of life.

---

Andre with Master Safety is coming to day to walk through my house for the alarm installation quote.

An alarm system is one more part of a person's security program. I made the analogy before to a castle with the sentry post, the moat, drawbridge, saferoom, etc. A house should be the same principle -- fence, locked gate, dog, security bars, secure windows, alarm system, cctv etc.

Interesting stuff I have to agree, layered protection is the way to go. I have a High wall with gates and doors that padlock on the inside, external motion detectors everywhere, some make a noise outside and others are wireless and set off internal alarms. All windows and doors are wired, Eight I/R cameras plus some dummies also panic buttons wired to very loud sirens in every room. No dogs but lots of cats :lol:

Interesting stuff I have to agree, layered protection is the way to go. I have a High wall with gates and doors that padlock on the inside, external motion detectors everywhere, some make a noise outside and others are wireless and set off internal alarms. All windows and doors are wired, Eight I/R cameras plus some dummies also panic buttons wired to very loud sirens in every room. No dogs but lots of cats :lol:

And if that doesn't get'em, one of your roaming snakes will!!!

And if that doesn't get'em, one of your roaming snakes will!!!

Shhh I told you not to mention the snakes :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

I was charged 60,000 Baht by an old Dutch expat in Pattaya for a three point security system and an access control door, none of which works!!!.

I recently visited Shanghai and saw a system for USD107 that has smoke and motion detectors and doesn't need a landline to dial out. It sends a SMS or voice message to any phone in that event. They also have a video alarm system for USD180 that will send pics on the 3G phone system (when we finally get it in Thai) in the event of intrusion. You can also talk to the intruder and tell them u have their pic and they better go.

PM me for contact details if you need to order one!!!

• 5 months later...

The access control door is simply achieved with a 7,000 Baht fingerprint reader and key pad at the door. This connects to your door lock and internet hub. You can download attendance records, add and remove user pin numbers from any internet connection. Now you can monitor and control access to your property when on the move.

I Paid the old Dutch guy in Pattaya Tai 60,000 Baht to do the jobs last year, but still waiting-- and takeing him to Pattaya provintial court for a decision on a refund in April

I was charged 60,000 Baht by an old Dutch expat in Pattaya for a three point security system and an access control door, none of which works!!!.

I recently visited Shanghai and saw a system for USD107 that has smoke and motion detectors and doesn't need a landline to dial out. It sends a SMS or voice message to any phone in that event. They also have a video alarm system for USD180 that will send pics on the 3G phone system (when we finally get it in Thai) in the event of intrusion. You can also talk to the intruder and tell them u have their pic and they better go.

PM me for contact details if you need to order one!!!

I had a system fitted 4 months ago from this company via their local agents in Pattaya:- www.smartalarm.co.th - fully wired and relying mostly on proximity sensors on all the doors and windows. The wiring is very neat and unobtrusive. It was expensive, but we have a large 2-storey house with 4 bedrooms and a lot of doors and windows. I consider it's already paid for itself, as we had an attempted break-in around Songkran which was deterred by the alarm going off as soon as chummy tested one of the doors. The stupid mutt tried a different door about half an hour later with the same result. The system is programmed to call my mobile if the alarm is activated, so I was able to call out security and speak to a neighbour immediately, although they didn't spot the burglar. I could see from the control panel when I came back which doors had been attacked, although there was no visible damage.

I think they call that false alarm :lol:

• 2 months later...

Andre with Master Safety is coming to day to walk through my house for the alarm installation quote.

I never updated this post.

I did have Andre install a Risco/Rokonet WISDOM wireless system. Every window, attic access panel and every door now has a monitored contact, along with system monitored smoke detectors, outside sirens and rotating lights. My wife is substantially happier with it on during the night (as she got used to it in the US).

It wasn't cheap. Original quote: 89,647b. In fact, it was more expensive than installations in the US. Wired is ALWAYS the preferred system, and anyone building a house SHOULD-SHOULD-SHOULD prewire everything possible into the structure to avoid as much retro-fit as possible. But when wired isn't feasible, such as an already-built-house, then good quality wireless is the way to go.

Also, I do not believe in the wireless key-fob alarm activators/de-activators. If your keyfob is lost or stolen, you have just given someone free reign to your alarm system. I believe in requiring the use of access codes.

The Wisdom system is *NOT* the same as the 899baht systems sold at Tukcom that come with one motion detector and a click device. That is what was installed in this house BEFORE the Wisdom. And it was PURE junk. I found dozens of reviews about the Wisdom system online in US and international forums.

Additional selling points for Andre/Master Safety:

His installers did a very good job. Transmitters are GLUED *AND* STUCK to the mounting surface using double side tape.

Magnets are screwed to the surface/doors.

His installers know the system enough to install and configure custom add-ons (such as LED status indicators).

The bad:

Wisdom's wireless keypads are "un-supervised" -- meaning they do not display if the system is ready, or in alarm condition, or in fault status.

One transmitter ended up being defective which caused a few false alarms; and sometimes a "zone" doesn't reset itself as quickly as it should.

393wisdom_big.gif