What Free Software Do You Use?

bdenner

I, like most of you buy most of my application and utility software :o :- Store bought packages, downloads with MasterCard payment and the occasional but dodgy Thai IT store purchaces:-

I have also downloaded some very good free to user packages:-

'Google Picasa' is a image management utility, it searches your drive for images, correlates then lets you manipulate them with very easy to use menus and tools. It came in 2nd to Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 (AUD$169.00) with the tests being carried out by the Australian 'apc High-Performance Computing' magazine.

Picasa Download

Another Google product which I have found extremely useful is a 'Desktop Search' utility, great for finding misplaced email and other text, excel etc. documents.

Desktop Search Download

Can you add to this list?

For anyone doing US tax returns TaxAct is well worth the free price (and then some). I have used both for free and pay versions and been very happy with both.

IRFAN is always a winner for a photo viewer.

I forgot to add

ReloadEvery, a handy little utility which reloads all the pages you have sitting in the background. Good for share prices and sports results..

Adblock

Googlebar

spellbound

These are all Firefox extensions

Edited by Nickerelastic

I don't use spyware blockers (I do this manually), since they tend to be more trouble than they're worth.

Freeware...

Httrack-For copying a website

Truecrypt-For encryption

Firefox-For browsing

All are as good or better than retail programs.

hi'

Open Office, Audacity, Firefox, The Gimp, Magic mail monitor, Protowall and Blocklist manager, Peerguardian, and of course Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D :D

for a memory management I made script that free-up some 256mb when I click on it ... more free than this? no way :o

BitDefender Antivirus 8 personnal registered, and Zone Alarm pro registered too.

as it is almost impossible to get a free and efficient firewall and antivirus.

avg is free and I can say that the "full" is no better :D

avg is unable to clean by itself, so I consider it as one for advanced users ...

francois

vlc mediaplayer is an absolut must have for every computer.

What else, oh yes these shareware/freeware things like Microsoft office, Adobe photoshop, macromedia dreamweaver....

But these things are normaly already preinstalled if the computer shop is nice.....