Amazing Thailand Always Amazes You

webfact

what a lot of people don't understand is that the strength of currency depends on how much US Dollars they have in reserve, and Thailand has quite a bit. As for the exports, yes, it is definitely hurting, especially in rice. Five years ago Thailand provided 60% of the world's rice. Now it's down to 30%, and they have been surpassed by Vietnam, who is quickly becoming the leading rice exporter.

What does currency strength and exports have to do with Thailand trying to bring back the tourism?

If anything, currency should be weaker, much weaker to bring back tourism and make the place attractive again.

Exports don't have anything to do with tourism, but the strength of the baht does, and right now it's much stronger than countries such as Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Bali and Philippines. Plus, there are some experts who think the Bank of Thailand is artificially keeping the baht strong, which is possible, but which would make no sense. Until the baht weakens, especially with the global economy the way it is, it will have a direct effect on tourism. People who CAN, or who COULD HAVE afforded to come to Thailand will look to the countries I mentioned above for vacations and more "bang for their buck". Naturally, TAT and the Government will continue to spout their rhetoric that anyone with any sense simply laughs at, while tourists head elsewhere.

But it's not just the baht that's hurting tourism (although it certainly isn't helping matters), but other things as well.

1) Global economy

2) Political unrest in Thailand

3) State of Emergency in Thailand, which has now been extended for another 3 months in most areas, including BKK.

These are the 4 main factors in regards to tourism, and while the Global Economy is not something Thailand can do anything about, the other 3 are. But, being Amazing Thailand, they won't.

Thanks for your analysis, i am well aware of the economics, but how do your comments relate to original thread, this is what i meant.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't tell me that it has something to do with the "Joseph Solution"! :lol:

Ok, I keep seeing people refer to the "Joseph Solution", but have ZERO idea of what that is? Would someone care to enlighten me? Or give me a web site where I can read about it?

No they wont. As you said it comes up a lot but the posters are as clueless as I am.

My best guess is it has something to do with Joseph Stalin.

LOL

When they named this place Land Of Smiles, it was for reasons like this.

Good one!

What about throwing over inflated prices into the mix? I'm all for 'Fair Trade' but

#A.--

I don't think the hotel workers benefit from the Western rates.

#B. --

Why, if they want to charge Western prices, don't they at least make the experience pleasant by doing something about the garbage and litter that shows up in every remote location and island 'park', washes up on beaches, too.

After a month in Thailand it's always a relief to be back in a country I don't have to breathe burning garbage everyday.

{friend in Huahin has a lovely 5 brdrm in Huahin with s/p, 3 bathrooms, 5 a/c's and every 2 or 3 days they have wash the black soot that gets over everything.] yecchh paradise living alright

TAT reminds me a bit of former GDR (German Democratic Republic) The governmentplan was rised every year by lets say 20& so everybody add some figures to the REAL NUMBERS and finally you got an outcome of more then the expected 120% .....to lie in its own pockets will not help TAT nor the tourism industrie in LoS

Too many negative things called for worldwide attention, be it the RED against YELLO story or the tuk tuk, jetskie and KingPower Duty Free scams.....

TAT should get real and wake up, there are obviously the wrong ppl in charge.

Ohh and do not forget, EVERY VISARUNNER is counted as a Tourist on arrival.....((((-:

Edited by moskito

1. Worldwide crisis

2. Bad currency rate

3. Political instability

4. Bad publicity (scams,suspicious foreign deaths, pedhofile cases..)

Its gonna take years before Thailand tourism shall recover.

Thats exactly where I want it, this is evidence of the beginning of a down market in Thailand, real estate prices have to come down, that's when you jump - buy, buy, buy - in 10 years you'll double / triple your money.............but, can't help but see some sort of conspiracy here - we have a lot of bad things going on in LOS, murders, extortion, scammers of all colors, and all the news shows is a 92 year old guy who can barley walk being led away by the BIB - for 'inappropriate touching' trying to show the world that Thailand is cleaning up the crime - I'd like them to show the Father that allowed (perpetrated)this to happen. I know people that have been coming to Thailand with their families for 30 years, grand parents down to great grandkids - they are going to Vietnam now, the safest place for tourists in Asia - bar none - I even bought a place there for vacations..........

Please don't tell me that it has something to do with the "Joseph Solution"!   :lol:

Ok, I keep seeing people refer to the "Joseph Solution", but have ZERO idea of what that is?  Would someone care to enlighten me?  Or give me a web site where I can read about it?

No they wont.  As you said it comes up a lot but the posters are as clueless as I am.

My best guess is it has something to do with Joseph Stalin.

Somthing about wearing a coat of many colours?

He projected the foreign arrivals would reach 16 million, earning the country at least Bt600 billion, on the assumption that Thailand's political situation is stable.

And there is the real purpose of this announcement - the government is telling the red shirts "stay quiet or stay poor" - I don't believe their predictions will come true other than through cooked books or further shortening of visas on arrival in order to create more border hopping and thus multiple entries per 2-week tourist.

:blink:

I had it all wrong. I thought what the government was saying was "you are poor so stay quiet"

So thats why the hotels, restaurants, massage shops, beaches and bars are so empty. The recent Jet Ski Comp in Cha am was not busy at all, yet the past 3 years Cha am has been full to the brim when it is on. Its not only foreign tourists that are not coming, Thais are not holidaying either. TAT really need to consider their marketing, who are they expecting to come here...families, you gotta be kidding with the deaths in bkk this year.....backpackers, no chance with the prices when neighouring countries are so cheap....guess that just means the sex pests will come, think that they are already going elsewhere....its dead just about in all tourist destinations at the oment and it isnt going to get much better in 'high season' this is the year that the global recession is really kicking in to peoples financial status.

Please don't tell me that it has something to do with the "Joseph Solution"! :lol:

sORRY but i have no idea what Joseph solution is

Some Christians and Jews are approach bad events in life where one is victimized, by looking at the life of Joseph (he of the multi coloured cape). Joseph rises above the pain and cruelty of his life to achieve greatness. Joseph was loved by his dad Jacob more than any of his siblings and his brothers hated him and bullied him, Eventually, they tossed him down into some well. Then the one of the brothers named Judas reconsidered and instead sold him to some passing arab traders for 20 pieces of silver (sound familiar? Remember Judas and his betrayal of Jesus for some silver? Seems to be a common occurrence back then, unless someone was being lazy and copied a story from Genesis) Anyway, the arab merchants sell him to an Egyptian. Theres a bit of sexual naughtiness with a wife demanding Joseph pleasure her, an accusation of rape and so on and so forth. Long story short, Joseph ends up becoming very powerful and eventually saving Egypt from famine and he once again meets up with his nasty brothers.

The story is jammed packed with lots of sexual tension, violence, drama and romance. If you want to know more pick up a bible.

The text may prove difficult for some, so I recommend the adult comic. Makes for some light reading on the loo. ;)

Edited by geriatrickid

I have a feeling that is not the "Joseph Solution" some people are referring to. I say that because in other forums I've seen references to the "Joseph Solution", and replies that would indicate something more along the lines of Joseph Stalin and Communism. So, to close this topic and remain on the OP, I'll just want till I see it again on one of the other forums and then ask again.

Some Christians and Jews are approach bad events in life where one is victimized, by looking at the life of Joseph (he of the multi coloured cape). Joseph rises above the pain and cruelty of his life to achieve greatness. Joseph was loved by his dad Jacob more than any of his siblings and his brothers hated him and bullied him, Eventually, they tossed him down into some well. Then the one of the brothers named Judas reconsidered and instead sold him to some passing arab traders for 20 pieces of silver (sound familiar? Remember Judas and his betrayal of Jesus for some silver? Seems to be a common occurrence back then, unless someone was being lazy and copied a story from Genesis) Anyway, the arab merchants sell him to an Egyptian. Theres a bit of sexual naughtiness with a wife demanding Joseph pleasure her, an accusation of rape and so on and so forth. Long story short, Joseph ends up becoming very powerful and eventually saving Egypt from famine and he once again meets up with his nasty brothers.

The story is jammed packed with lots of sexual tension, violence, drama and romance. If you want to know more pick up a bible.

The text may prove difficult for some, so I recommend the adult comic. Makes for some light reading on the loo. ;)

Thank you for the explanation, although reading the explanation, i have no idea how it could be applied to what i posted or anything else really.

May be i will go see a Rabbi or a Priest to explain it for me :)

Oy Veh!!

Don't come and see me - I can not fathom it or him.

Tried a few google searches and it appears there are severel theories that have been put out by many "Josephs" over the years and over many subjects, but what this character is alluding to and what relevence it has to the forum topic makes no sense

:jap: :annoyed::sorry::offtopic:

Or go on youtube and watch the video starring an old Donny Osmond. Its highly entertaining with some nice music.

The Yorkshire Tourist Association claimed last week that Yorkshire coast tourism has been going through a bit of a boom over the last couple of years as Brits stay at home for their holidays.

I don't believe them - I think they are lying as always and the truth is that all the Brits are going to Thailand in increasing numbers.

[:rolleyes:]

The Yorkshire Tourist Association claimed last week that Yorkshire coast tourism has been going through a bit of a boom over the last couple of years as Brits stay at home for their holidays.

I don't believe them - I think they are lying as always and the truth is that all the Brits are going to Thailand in increasing numbers.

[:rolleyes:]

I'd have a lot more faith in the Yorkshire Tourist Board than anything which came out of the TAT

When I visited Madrid I went to see a zarzuela (a Spanish style operetta) and the theme happened to be this Joseph.

Although it was in the Holy Week, it took some time before I caught what it was about.

This Joseph is not the Saint Joseph of Saint Mary and I really do not see the link with the topic.

So thats why the hotels, restaurants, massage shops, beaches and bars are so empty. The recent Jet Ski Comp in Cha am was not busy at all, yet the past 3 years Cha am has been full to the brim when it is on. Its not only foreign tourists that are not coming, Thais are not holidaying either. TAT really need to consider their marketing, who are they expecting to come here...families, you gotta be kidding with the deaths in bkk this year.....backpackers, no chance with the prices when neighouring countries are so cheap....guess that just means the sex pests will come, think that they are already going elsewhere....its dead just about in all tourist destinations at the oment and it isnt going to get much better in 'high season' this is the year that the global recession is really kicking in to peoples financial status.

In Pattaya it is and remains VERY VERY quiet since the “high” season 2008-2009.

Everybody knows what happened one month before.

Gov just announced the 3 month extension of the emergency rule.

have come down to cha-am from udon , for the sea air .

and both places are feeling the drastic downturn in the tourist economy .

the good news , i have negotiated good accomodation discount rates .

and i only pay 1000bht , for scooter hire , for one week .

i hope the economic downturn continues .. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing TAT always amaze with their stats.

As for "Amazing Thailand Always Amazes You" strewth. What a fag pack of an effort that one is.

Actually I do see a rise to the number of customers which are more than 95% tourists. It is still not the same as last year.

If I was a Red Shirt member I would pay a lot of attention to the amount of revenue from the Tourisms industry that I tried to destroy. It is substantial in excess of 400 billion THB even if the estimate is too high, and most of this ends up in their pocket.

Is there an estimate of the amount of revenue lost from the Tourism industry by the actions of the yellow shirts?