Wait Time At Bangkok Immigration For Retirement Renewal?

For a retirement renewal, is it still necessary to arrive at Immigration super early (i.e. to avoid getting held over until after lunch)? Anybody gotten there at 10ish? Or at 1pm?

Also, for long-time visa (5+ years) / Bangkok residence, are they now asking for a copy of apartment lease?

Thanks,

Retiree

I did about 10 days ago and arrived at 1030 and finished at 1130 and then got 90 day report done by 1150 so no lunch break wait required. Previous years always took 4 or more hours of wait. Do not believe you will be asked for residence information if the same as in your file (on computer).

Sometimes the waiting times are sketchy. I haven’t been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to why sometimes it’s swamped with people and other times there’s no one, but it’s been my experience that Mondays and Fridays are the busiest out there. Although FWIW the queues definitely move faster than they ever did at the old Suan Plu location.

I just accompanied a friend to secure another year's extension of stay based on retirement. We got there at about 12:30 (Immigrations is closed until 1:00 for lunch). That gave us enough time to get his photo, make his copies, etc and still get in line for when they opened the doors. At 1:00PM we went in and were the 3rd number they called. His extension of stay was finished well before 1:45PM.

However securing another re-entry permit is always a small cluster-fuc_k there, seeing as they no longer sell ‘em at Suvarnabhumi. That took another 45 minutes.

Still, it’s a LOT better than Suan Plu ever was.

Make sure you use the entrance on the SOUTH side of the GIANT building or you're in for a VERY LONG walk indeed. Take Changwattana Soi 7 and go all the way to the end of it before turning right and you'll end up right in front of the correct entrance.

To your question about residence; my friend was on his 3rd yearly extension of stay and they didn't request it from him.

In answer to your bank letter and bank book question; you need copies of all the pages in your bank book (update it the day you go), and the letter from the bank confirming there are the proper funds in the account as well. Most of the major thai financial institutions have offices in the basement of that building.

two retiree friends of mine and I took the following time to get a retirement visa in Hua Hin last

month. 9 minutes,12 minutes and 15 minutes respectively. The latter time was mine which took the longest because I get a re-entry visa at the same time.

All the Immigration Officers were friendly and polite.

Perhaps the government is beginning to realize the true value of retirees. Malaysia certainly does with a 10 year multiple entry visa and other privileges.