Your Local Embassy

greenwanderer108

What is your additude towards your embassy  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I got invited a couple of times to a number of US embassys for a chat with the ambassador ..."we know your not a yank but what the ######"..etc.which I would later have had to inter-pret as a sort of "de-brief" rather than a simple request to join them for afternoon tea and crumpet.(cant keep my mouth shut.. :D )

The format was always the same and after T and biscuits it was always a polite request to have a word with his collegues....usually a couple of rejected gorillas with CIA type 1950s suits and black ties....funny that...just like the old films. :D but always very polite.

Also when the yanks send a car to pick you up its usually one of those big caddi jobbies...all air con and coca cola....great.

With the British Embassy however you usually gotta whistle for your bus fares. :o

I didn't expect them to loan me money. I never said that, I asked them to be sympathetic to my situation. I asked if there was a way to waiver the unexpected processing fee that's almost the same cost as the passport itself---which obviously already has processing fees included in it as far as Washington is concerned.

Let's examine this processing fee. It was somewhere between 1-2000 baht, can't remember exactly and this was last September. Whether it's gone up or not since, I wouldn't be surprised. Now if I remember right, it was to cover passport shipping costs and the process of cancelling the old passport...oh and the issuing of a letter for Thai immigration (which was a few sentances long with some stamp).

Really petty clerical tasks if you ask me, that probably took no more than 5 minutes of somebody's time. The only big expense I can see is the shipping (if in fact it was made in Washington) and obviously for official documents, the US Government wouldn't have to pay standard shipping rates if any. Sounds to me like a profitable business...If it were any other type of business, I could expect such ethics, but not from my own embassy.

Even in this welcome to Thailand document of the embassy, I don't know how many times they suggest that if you have a problem petty/major, to contact the local police or tourist police...sounded like they'd rather not be bothered with our problems unless it was absolutely necessarry.

And they are making money off of our services...everything you need to do at 'citizen services'...whether notarizing a document or replacing a passport has some extra fee on top of the initial fee, or in someway is more expensive than if you did it back in the states (which already had services/processing fees included such as the passport---you don't really believe it costs 50$ for the government to make a passport?)

I highly doubt that the embassy's budget comes one hundred percent from the US Government...and it's obviously a big budget. Have you seen the size of the ambassadors mansion or the cars that any embassy official drives?

Whatever extra budget they aquire from 'citizen services' not to mention the revenue they receive from visa applications (majority declined with no refund), I'm sure it's a hefty amount.

They probably feel justified by making extra revenue from citizens here as most the expats here no longer pay taxes directly to the war hungry government back home.

One division of the Embassy is the American Citizens Services. This section is there to try and assist American citizens. But they are not there to cater to your individual problems/issues. Too many citizens, too many individual problems, not enough staff in the American Citizens Services group. Is this group (American Citizens Services) turning a profit on the fees it is charging? Not sure if you have had much contact with US Government entities. They tend to not be the most fiscally efficient machines known to man. So profit? – I doubt it. Generating some government waste due to being overly regulated – probably.

Due to they way government operations function there was probably quite a few people involved in processing your passport. Even the letter for Thai immigration probably involved at least three or four people.

Should it cost the government $50 bucks to make a passport – probably not. Does it – probably actually costs more.

As far as them not wanting to be bothered with your problems. In a way you are correct. Until you have pretty much exhausted all of the avenues available thru the local authorities the embassy does not want to be involved. Why not? Because in case you didn’t notice you are not in Kansas any more. You are in a foreign country, and the government of The United States of America does not want to get involved in the dealings of a foreign country unless they have to (unless of course they have a lot of oil – exceptions can be made). The American Citizens Services are your last resort – not your first.

You doubt the budget comes 100% from the government? Not exactly sure what you are driving at here? Of course the fees are used to help cover costs. I mean that what they are fees to cover the cost of the work they are doing.

As far as visa processing fees are concerned. As I recall when the department of immigration caught all kinds of h*ll following 9/11 the stats show they actually loose money in this area. The fees are no where near enough to cover all of the costs.

Keep in mind these are all government agencies – there is waste. I do not doubt that. And maybe that is what you are getting at. But I am sure that the various embassies around the world are not transferring vast sums of profits back to Uncle Sam to subsidize our little “war on terror”. At the end of the year more money flows into the embassies from the government than could possibly be made up with processing fees and shipping charges.

The American ambassador to Thailand hosts cocktail parties several times a year and, as a US citizen, you can attend. But, you may not be able to. You need to request an invitation, and you must be sent an invitation. Showing up at the Ambassador's personal residence without an invitation will probably get you arrested.

I've never had a problem with the US embassy, and sometimes there is some excitement. Several months ago, a very strange looking fellow gave a half-hour sob story about how he ran out of money, had no family, lost his passport, and his belongings were confiscated (for non-payment of a hotel bill) in Pattaya. He claimed he'd do anything for work...but didn't have a work permit. The embassy official mentioned that the embassy was not an employment office. He asked for money, and the US embassy rep told him that the embassy was not a bank. The rep then told him that the US would provide emergency repatriation to the US, and the guy refused. The guy then shouted out a threat against the life of the US president. THAT'S when it got very interesting...

If you showed up without a specific invitation (not a p/p) you would not normally be admitted.

These functions are usually to welcome/farewell embassy staff,  for staff morale or special occasions (Bush's birthday?) and networking with other embassies.

Being a citizen doesn't mean you get to join in when they spend taxpayers money on booze!

:o That's what I'm talking about. If they're not willing to share the booze with me, to h*ll with them aristocrats.

Sounds like my importance to them is all related to *capital* unless ofcourse I died under mysterious circumstances...then my importance would fall under "public relations"

Still unconvinced that they are looking after the interests of their subjects, but more of the interests of capital.

First of all we are not subjects. Unless you didn’t get the memo – the US is not a monarchy. Yea see we fought this little war a couple of hundred years ago to get out from under all of that crap.

Secondly I think you misunderstand the primary mission of US Embassies. Direct from the US Embassy (Bangkok) web page:

The U.S. Ambassador heads the Mission as the personal representative of the President of the United States. Assisted by members of the Embassy staff, the Ambassador conducts the official business of the Government of the United States in Thailand. The Ambassador also tries to ensure that U.S. policies are better known and understood by the Thai. This includes the negotiation of treaties and agreements, the exchange of information on issues of mutual interest to the two countries, and the provision of information to the U.S. on various subjects to enable officials and citizens of the United States to better understand the attitudes and interests of the Thai.

The embassy is a political entity that to serve at the whim of the POTUS. They are not here to hold your hand or even to represent your individual interests. There are here to represent the POTUS in relation to American interests in the region.

Are you invited / allowed to attend general government dinners and such in the US? Then why would you expect to get an invitation of an embassy function?

At present does the American political machine tend to lean more towards business interests than “the peoples” interest? Yes, probably – take it to the ballot box.

I think the real problem here is your inability to save some money for emergencies.  Why do you think the embassy should become your banker?  If you can't keep enough money to cover little emergencies like this then you should go back and get a real job and save some up...then come back.  I bet you've still got student loans and that you are behind in your payments.  Am I right?

No...the real problem here pal is wise-ass comments like yours when the guy was making a legimate point... :o

You have some problem with my comments? I'm so sorry. Please let me know just exactly what this problem is and I'll work on it. I don't think that my post was very kind to him but I don't see that it was 'wise-a$$'. Can you tell me just exactly what I said that was wise-a$$?

And by the way, I meant every word of my comment...sincerely...this is what my reaction was to his post. Turns out I was wrong about the student loans....do you know what it means to be wrong about something?

So what happens if a valid found passport is returned to the embassy. As your post suggests, they would take the initiative to cancel it themselves and wait for new business for a new passport instead of contacting the owner of the passport or waiting for him/her to recover it.

It is highly unlikely that a missing passport would be returned to an embassy before the passport holder reported it to an embassy since the passport holder would/should report it immediately. Once the passport is reported missing it is canceled. Canceled means no longer valid. It is every citizens responsibility to have a valid passport when traveling overseas. It is your responsibility to report the missing passport and to apply for a new one....it is not the gov't's responsibility and the embassy is just one arm of the gov't...it is your responsibility. So....after a passport holder reports the passport missing it is canceled and (usually) the holder applies for a new one. If the old one is found it is not given back to the holder because it is no longer valid...it has been canceled....a canceled passport can not be used for anything except possibly for some illegal purpose...so there is no reason for them to give it back to the original holder. Above you talk about the embassy not returning the passport to the "owner"....but you must remember that the embassy is the owner since the embassy is the gov't and the gov't maintains ownership of the passport...you are just the holder...not the owner. This may seem very cold hearted on the gov't's part and I agree with you....but you know most actions of the US gov't are a bit cold hearted...some would even say cold blooded.....but that's another discussion. This policy of instantly canceling missing passports and never re-issueing them does help in reducing the unauthorized use of US passports and in these days of global misconduct it is probably good for the US to do all it can in this regard.

It is highly unlikely that a missing passport would be returned to an embassy before the passport holder reported it to an embassy since the passport holder would/should report it immediately.  Once the passport is reported missing it is canceled.  Canceled means no longer valid.

I can't speak for the US, but I can for another western country as I worked at a western embassy in Bangkok for 3 years. Obviously, what I will say will not hold true for all countries. When the 'holder' of a passport reports the passport missing, it is immediately cancelled 'electronically'. This passport can be revalidated again electronically.

An early poster made mention about what would happen if good old Somchai the taxi driver returned the passport to the Embassy before the holder came in and why the embassy staff member didn't check. Simple, generally ###### will freeze over before Somchai the taxi driver will hand in the passport, he will normally flog it off to someone for a few thousand baht. If the passport was handed in, I would be very surprised that the staff member concerned didn't know about, given how unusual it is for a passport to be returned (I would say less than 2% of lost/stolen passports are handed within 48 hours of the holder losing it and normally not by taxi drivers).

However, once you have made a new passport application, you won't necessary get a refund. Some countries will give discretion to a Consul to give a refund (ie if the passport application has just been made and the passport itself has not been processed), other countries did not give the Consul any discretion. Simple govt policy. The cost is for the *passport application* NOT just the passport itself. There is money for training staff to process applications and detect fraudulent applications, computer equipment to process the passport, money for storage of applications, a computer database to keep records of previous/current passports etc. Blank passports/emergency passports also have to be stored securely and are very expensive to transport as they will have to be transported by safe hand (which means hand carried) diplomatic bag.

Even after a new passport was issued, we will sometimes allow people to keep their old passport (ie if they had work visas which are very difficult to transfer), but there was no refund.

Just to another thing the same (or another ?) poster mentioned. Embassies don't make money on passport applications. The cost of an application is meant to equal the cost of processing the passport, there is no profit. Embassies don't enjoy/encourage people to make passport applications, we don't get bonuses or commissions based on how many passports are issued.

I think the real problem here is your inability to save some money for emergencies.  Why do you think the embassy should become your banker?  If you can't keep enough money to cover little emergencies like this then you should go back and get a real job and save some up...then come back.  I bet you've still got student loans and that you are behind in your payments.  Am I right?

No...the real problem here pal is wise-ass comments like yours when the guy was making a legimate point... :D

You have some problem with my comments? I'm so sorry. Please let me know just exactly what this problem is and I'll work on it. I don't think that my post was very kind to him but I don't see that it was 'wise-a$$'. Can you tell me just exactly what I said that was wise-a$$?

And by the way, I meant every word of my comment...sincerely...this is what my reaction was to his post. Turns out I was wrong about the student loans....do you know what it means to be wrong about something?

Perhaps the "I think the real problem here is your inability to save some money for emergencies. Why do you think the embassy should become your banker?" will give you a little clue?

Instead of bustin' his balls and making a judgement call when you don't know the individual's total situation and telling him to go back and get a real job?

Sounds pretty clear to me... :o

No...the real problem here pal is wise-ass comments like yours when the guy was making a legimate point... :D

Perhaps the "I think the real problem here is your inability to save some money for emergencies. Why do you think the embassy should become your banker?" will give you a little clue?

Instead of bustin' his balls and making a judgement call when you don't know the individual's total situation and telling him to go back and get a real job?

I wasn't busting his anything. I make judegement calls all the time on TV and in fact that is mostly what everyone does here. I still think his real problem is not having any money saved for emergencies...not even small ones like this. Frankly I still think he should go back and live with his parents etc. if that is what it takes for him to save enough money to be secure here in Thailand...but its his life to live and he (obvioiusly) can do whatever he wants and just ignore my comments if he wants....but he didn't....he replied in a rational, direct, and polite fashion....good on him!! He asked the embassy for financial assistance...then asked them to waive the fee or give him special treatment....in my opinion this is like asking them to be a banker for him...or a parent. When he didn't get special consideration he posts about it on TV. This is how I saw it and this is how I still see it.

I guess I was wrong about him having school related debt back home...he claims he has none...and I'll take him at his word since he gave a thoughtful reply.

I'm still wondering, do you know what it means to be wrong about something?

On the subject of Embassy's

As a citizen, am I entitled to go to one of those fancy parties I always hear about, or is that limited to a 'special guest' lists?

Limited to invited guests.

I had to get a new passport a few years back because mine had expired. It was issued out of Bangkok and as I recall all went smoothly.

Just as a matter of perhaps trivial interest, as I understand it, Bangkok is the second-biggest U.S. embassy in the world (I think measured by personel). Paris is the biggest.

in every instance where I had to go to the us embassy in the past 12 years, I have been treated with respect and received timely responses to my inquiries.

mind you, I never had to approach them in a stressful scenario. so, I don't know how they would react to me in that instance.

last year, there was an open invitation to this gathering of american citizens for the presidential election. I went and only had to present my passport to get admission. the way I was treated there was exceptional.

not only were we all treated to an all-you-can-eat buffet style luncheon during the television proceedings, any and all questions were answered by embassy staff.

I was quite impressed by their professionalism.

Well, being right half the time beats being half-right all the time, eh?

If every time some poor soul posted a tale of woe as GW did and had someone jump his sh*t like you did (inability to save money) there wouldn't be much point to these forums.

Well, being right half the time beats being half-right all the time, eh?

If every time some poor soul posted a tale of woe as GW did and had someone jump his sh*t like you did (inability to save money) there wouldn't be much point to these forums.

Embassy parties without an invitation and prior background check means no entrance if they are in one of the compounds. I frequently attend these parties and have to RSVP at least a week in advance. Once try to change my mind for U.S Embassy 3 days before party and was told it was not possible. Parties at hotels and restaurants are quite possible to "crash" if so desired. I have seen in the Post or the Nation a party that I would be attending that evening listed under events and when I show up nobody is asking for I.D. or invites. Just grap a cocktail and a sandwich and join in!

Embassy parties without an invitation and prior background check means no entrance if they are in one of the compounds.  I frequently attend these parties and have to RSVP at least a week in advance.  Once try to change my mind for U.S Embassy 3 days before party and was told it was not possible.  Parties at hotels and restaurants are quite possible to "crash" if so desired.  I have seen in the Post or the Nation a party that I would be attending that evening listed under events and when I show up nobody is asking for I.D. or invites.  Just grap a cocktail and a sandwich and join in!

:D

There is "supposed" to be a 4th of july party open to all Americans in Thailand. I've never tried to go, so I don't know what actually happens.

Here's my American Embessy bad service story.

A friend of mine J had been working in Iran just before the shah was overthrown. He had a Thai wife living with him. They left iran and returned to Thailand. J was offered a job in the U.S., so he decided to take his Thai wife with him. Of course, that meant a visa for her. She started through the visa process, but came to the point where she had to have a police check from the Iranian police in the city in Iran where she had previously lived with him. The U.S. embessy insisted on her gettting this police check. At that time the embessy in tehran was being occupied by the Iranians, and some American embessy workers we being held hostage in the embessy. The embessy here had the gall to tel J he should send his Thai wife to Iran to get the police check documents. J did finally manage to get his Thai wife a visa, but he had to protest to the consulate head before they let him go further.

:o

Embassy parties without an invitation and prior background check means no entrance if they are in one of the compounds.  I frequently attend these parties and have to RSVP at least a week in advance.  Once try to change my mind for U.S Embassy 3 days before party and was told it was not possible.  Parties at hotels and restaurants are quite possible to "crash" if so desired.  I have seen in the Post or the Nation a party that I would be attending that evening listed under events and when I show up nobody is asking for I.D. or invites.  Just grap a cocktail and a sandwich and join in!

I saw the trailer for a new movie with Olen Wilson and some other side kick guy called

Wedding Crashers.

Looks real good. Hope to see it to get some inspiration. Hollywood films don't appeal to me so much here, but I do get homesick every now and then when I can't get the same type of laugh from Thai films...albeit there is some great humor.