Wine Promotion And Farang Food At Foodland

Hello All,

Dont know if anyones noticed but Foodland (at least my local)are having a promotion on a south African red wine,

"Mt Clair..red celebration 2008"

In my local anyway, you can sample a glass for 69baht in the restaurant. Considering some of the wine ive tried over here i thought this one was suprisingly drinkable.

I later found they have a 2 litre bottle for 439 baht, 1 litre bottle for 239,if memory serves.

While i was there i added

Jacobs hi cal crackers: 44baht

Local cheddar cheese (also suprisingly OK) : 140 baht

100 gram Peppered loin ham

add a few tomatoes and sundries from market and you are set

with 2litre bottle of wine that makes a total of under 700baht..

and all coming together in a pretty good combination IMO.

If you like a red and havent had some for a bit then i can reccomend you try a glass

EDIT: MODS..FGS's..how long have we gotta keep editing out all the unwanted gibberish that shows up in the posts!!???

Edited by ozzieovaseas

<BR>Or go for a good krapao tuna, pet-pet, at took lae dee.<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>havent seen that on the menu when i was there..hmm<BR><BR>i see they have one of those advertising cards about the macaroni carbonara, might have a go at that next time<BR>

The point of the post was to let anyone know about a wine promotion they might not of otherwise known about

Though i suppose since this is a food forum i should expect such a fruitcake response such as yours,

Funny though, as is the case with all your posts, the nuts on top (of forehead) always seem to obscure your otherwise perfect eyesight

Edited by ozzieovaseas

When it comes to editing... I agree it is shit with all these BR <> or whatever.

What you can do is to click on "preview post" beside the "add reply" buttom.

And just take away the shit that are there.

And THAN click on "Add reply".

I know that this is stupid, but what can we do???

Glegolo

"Mt Clair..red celebration 2008"

In my local anyway, you can sample a glass for 69baht in the restaurant. Considering some of the wine ive tried over here i thought this one was suprisingly drinkable.

I later found they have a 2 litre bottle for 439 baht, 1 litre bottle for 239,if memory serves.

It's been on sale at Makro the past month for 900 baht for a 5-litre box.;)

I always have a box of Mont Clair at home for cooking with and ocasionally have the odd glass, just don't drink more than a couple of glasses or you'll have a stinking headache in the morning. Although it is just about drinkable, like any cheap wine it hits you in the morning.

Also, when places have wine promotions, all it is is a promotion, not a sale! About two years back they made it illegal to have any discount on alcohol. Such a shame because in the past you could get a half desent bottle thats normally about 1000 baht knock down to a more affordble 5-600 baht in places like Tops. Now I find the only way to get drinkable wine at reasonable price is to go to places like Wine Connection or Villa's wine store as they seem to be the only place you can get a really drinkable wine for under 500 baht.

Ah, thanks for the contributions.

Didnt realise all the other places had the same product, so thanks for the info.

So i would think a shipment off this gets imported to Thailand at a basic litreage price and all the outlets sell at pretty much the same retail, but obviously cheaper the more you buy.

Not sure if i'd go for 5 litres though, as per the previous poster mentioned about the hangover...

Id probably have 4 standard glasses or so in a night with no majour repercussions,but yeh, the hot flush hangovers from reds are not what you really want in Thailand.

Maybe ill look for a white next time ;)

Ah, thanks for the contributions.

Didnt realise all the other places had the same product, so thanks for the info.

So i would think a shipment off this gets imported to Thailand at a basic litreage price and all the outlets sell at pretty much the same retail, but obviously cheaper the more you buy.

Not sure if i'd go for 5 litres though, as per the previous poster mentioned about the hangover...

Id probably have 4 standard glasses or so in a night with no majour repercussions,but yeh, the hot flush hangovers from reds are not what you really want in Thailand.

Maybe ill look for a white next time ;)

Mont-Clair is coming by containers from South-Africa and it's bottled in Samut Prakan by Siam Winery.

Due to this non bottled type of import, they can keep the price cheaper than the other plonks available on the Thai market.

Otherwise, nothing to complain about Mont-Clair for the use I make of it: sauces or sangria.... B)

Edited by lazygourmet

I don't know the local law on this subject. But I guess it depends on what is a "sale" vs. a "promotion"...

In Villa's case, I can say with certainty, they were selling the boxes for 975 baht and then lately cut the price to 950 baht and had small flyers up on a display in the store advertising the lower price.

Whether that became the new regular price, or whether it's gone back up to the prior 975b price, I hadn't bothered to look. But now I will, the next time I swing by Villa.

Also, when places have wine promotions, all it is is a promotion, not a sale! About two years back they made it illegal to have any discount on alcohol

I have found that the Mont Clair red is extremely drinkable, especially when chilled, as one can do with young red wines. Never experienced a hangover with this wine despite drinking the equivalent of a bottle of it (750 ML) on many occasions. Always have a 5 litre cask in the fridge for everyday consumption.

I also manage to seek out a few bargains from the likes of the Wine Connection, Villa Market and the Deli (in Patong) because the owner of the latter establishment does have wine sales occasionally to clear out old stock. On the subject of bargains, I have managed to find a good everyday Aussie drinker which is sold in Carrefour for 400 baht, at another establishment for 275 baht, so occasionally stock up with a dozen bottles or so.

For the record, you are just as likely to get a hangover with the white wine as with the red, as many people will attest to, because with cheaper white wines, often more sulphur dioxide is added to stop secondary/malolactic fermentation in the bottle/cask, and it is this which can cause hangover type effects in some folk.

I have found the Mont Clair to be perfectly acceptable and usually keep one of the boxes of the white in the fridge, ok I wouldn't serve for a gourmet meal but needs must.

Does anybody know the reasoning behind the high taxes for wine, given that you could buy two or three bottles of Thai "whiskey" for the same price of one bottle of wine?

I'd imagine it has something to do with the facts that:

--Thais traditionally drink cheap beer and cheap whisky, and often even homemade...

--Thus the Thai beverage conglomerates make their money on cheap beer and whisky...

--Whereas wine has been a mostly niche/expat thing subject to import duties that help protect and preserve the alcoholic beverages market dominated by Thai beer and whisky concerns...

--And, from what I gather, only relatively small areas of Thailand have a suitable environment for growing wine grapes, being the cooler mountain area around Khao Yai.

--Plus, I'm sure, some other reasons as well....

I'd imagine it has something to do with the facts that:

--Thais traditionally drink cheap beer and cheap whisky, and often even homemade...

--Thus the Thai beverage conglomerates make their money on cheap beer and whisky...

--Whereas wine has been a mostly niche/expat thing subject to import duties that help protect and preserve the alcoholic beverages market dominated by Thai beer and whisky concerns...

--And, from what I gather, only relatively small areas of Thailand have a suitable environment for growing wine grapes, being the cooler mountain area around Khao Yai.

--Plus, I'm sure, some other reasons as well....

So nothing to do with the health of the Thai people then??

Hi

I am not into wine at all, but i still like a glass of red, i do not like some of the strong tasting red, what red should i buy if i want a real mild red? dont mind to pay a little extra for a good mild red, is any of the cheap red mild? dont know any other way to explain mild red wine. Thanks

The Paragon and Emporium food halls are offering one of their periodic "Taste of the USA" sales thru July 15, and have a printed flyer in stores showing their different sale items.

As best as I can tell, it's the same kinds of things they usually stock, but at apparent sale prices... Nothing real exciting for me...but the discounted items include some crackers, coffee, chocolate, cereals, etc. They also were advertising bottles of red Tabasco sauce...

Edited by jfchandler

<BR>Great deals about Farang Food and Wine the title says but only replies about some boxed wine. What about the food deals?<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>Hi James,<BR><BR>

Yeh as far as Foodland goes,when i was here last year the only local cheese i noticed in Foodland was that terrible tasteless mozzarella that they half freeze and grate.

The local cheddar they have now might have been there all along but i didnt notice it. I thought it was pretty good considering the usual cheese quality here.

You often see Carefourr stopping certain lines of the imported things that dont sell due to the high price. Their range of cheese is very limited but granted they do seem to have to bundle most of the good stuff and sell it two for one, especially in the suburban stores.

My local CF seems to have packets of ham 2 for 1 daily but it tends to get that horrible cryovac taste when being in the bag for a while. I usually take it out of the bag,rinse in cold water and sprinkle a little salt on it before refridgerating...go on,call me kee nok.haha

Foodland seems to be on the ball as they seem to be adding new lines as an alternative to the usual imported stuff and i think the quality is slowly getting better.

In any case, i think FL is your best chance of getting bread thats not so bl00dy sickly sweet

Edited by ozzieovaseas

• 2 weeks later...

I always have a box of Mont Clair at home for cooking with and ocasionally have the odd glass, just don't drink more than a couple of glasses or you'll have a stinking headache in the morning. Although it is just about drinkable, like any cheap wine it hits you in the morning.

Also, when places have wine promotions, all it is is a promotion, not a sale! About two years back they made it illegal to have any discount on alcohol. Such a shame because in the past you could get a half desent bottle thats normally about 1000 baht knock down to a more affordble 5-600 baht in places like Tops. Now I find the only way to get drinkable wine at reasonable price is to go to places like Wine Connection or Villa's wine store as they seem to be the only place you can get a really drinkable wine for under 500 baht.

I remember those days quite fondly. When I first moved to Thailand, you could buy a beer in the middle of the day to quench your thirst / hangover. Within a couple weeks that was gone. Then within another month or so, I saw those amazing wine promotions at Villa (buy one, get one free) disappear. The sales people said it was temporary, but it never came back. I just assumed the prices would drop from such inflated levels. However, they stayed the same! Hard liquor, such as JW Black had similar promotions where they would give you logo glasses, etc. Those became illegal too. Apparently, the law was you could no longer give away anything for free with purchase of alcohol. Thus, freebies are illegal, but discounting is legal. To my knowledge, the prices of alcohol (including wine) have stayed approximately the same since then :(