Life Change - Realistic? Enough Cash? Your Thoughts

nonpop

Hi All,

We have been reading for a long time. Using this forum to help with our next chapter of life.

I would like constructive thoughts on if you feel we are being realistic or if we have missed something.

We have traveled to Thailand many times (as well as other Asian countries - we also like Malaysia to some degree).

Here is the short version:

My husband & I are married (no children - ever) looking to move from Australia to Thailand for an 'extended' (up to 10 years?) period to be semi-retired in the near future. We are both mid 40's, fit & healthy.

Income to live on will be approx THB20,000 pr wk for 2 people plus approx THB11,000 per wk for rent (total approx THB31,000 per wk).

This is what we want to achieve:

* obtain a visa from language school (Walen?) e.g 1yr ED & then renew each yr ... this seems the easiest and most 'economical' whilst also learning Thai language

* Rent a good 2br furnished condo with ocean views in Phuket for 1st yr

* have weekly or 2 times per wk house keeping / assistance

* Eat out a lot at 'normal' places where food is good but still economical - we like local Thai food

* to travel & tour Thailand on many small trips

* to use taxi or other local transport as no car / bike will be owned

* to 'unwind' & become human again

* maintain a high quality of life - not be scrapping by each week.

The income we have can be mixed around. So we have approx total THB31,000 per wk for two people to rent, live, eat & experience life.

1. Are we financially realistic ? Do you think we have surplus cash each wk or are we just getting by

2. Suggest any other type of visa ? - we do not qualify for retirement visa - we want to be able to live (but not work) & just spend our money in the country

3. Suggest a different approach to something ?

4. Location ? Phuket or somewhere else ? - we love the beach, sand & sun - hence a condo with balcony good ocean views

5. Am I just seeing the grass being 'greener' on the other side ?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts & assistance. Please ignore the “what will you do to keep busy” aspect as we are not worried about getting ‘bored’. Thank you.

Venus

My only comments are that the trips around Thailand may not be viable, and 'what will you do to keep busy' issues are covered because you will be studying. The education visa is for those who wish to study Thai (or other subjects), not as a means to be a tourist! That having been said, you do not have to study full-time.

If you are choosing Phuket for your sea-view condo, just remember not to venture into the water! The sea and beaches on many of Phuket's popular beaches are far from clean, as is the case for many popular global tourist destinations. But if you opt to stay somewhere with beautiful beaches, (think Koh Lanta, Satun etc), then the facilities that you are seeking will also be lacking.

If you intend to rely upon local taxis/transport, then absolutely do not choose to stay in Phuket! The island taxi and tuk-tuk system has a worldwide reputation for expensive pricing and lack of customer service.

Anyway, that's my early morning 'moan' about some aspects of Thailand . . .

Simon

PS - I didn't comment upon your financial questions - you can get by in Thailand for 2,000 baht a week or 2 million baht a week - up to you. I have a very good life (house, car, beaches, food, TV, internet, beer, woman) on about 5,000 baht a week.

Edited by simon43

One glaring problem I see without reading through the whole post is the idea to use public transport/taxis in Phuket. Either you'll spend a fortune using the tuk tuks, or waste half of your day getting around on the 20 ( or 25) baht bus. You really need to rethink your transport situation if Phuket is where you had in mind.

Looks like you have the money to do what you want.

Except, as others have already noted, the transportation problem.

If you want to live in Phuket, you need to have your own transportaion.

The only other thing i could suggest is to hire someone that you could call to drive you around when necessary.

If you want to eat out, how do you plan to get there? Pay 400-600 baht for a tuk-tuk everytime you want a bite to eat?

As others' have mentioned, if you absolutely cannot drive, don't come to Phuket. Try Hua Hin, Koh Samui, Krabi area, or Koh Lak (which turns into a ghost town after high season)

PHuket could be so much better with proper taxi service. (but then everyone would want to come here, and who wants that?)

You really need to rethink your transport situation if Phuket is where you had in mind.

Ok good point. We'd be happy to buy a small car - we just thought for the first year we'd be 'unwinding' more than touring. We were trying to work out the cost of buying a car, plus all running costs then the loss if needed to sell Vs the cost of taxi or a driver.

Re the ED visa ... we'd be 100% looking to study (learn Thai). The bonus is the ability to live in the country and enjoy it's natural wonders.

So location ... ok if not Puket (due to bad ocean?), then we're open to ideas. The location would need to be near one of the language schools. Clean ocean is a must as we both enjoy swimming. We don't need tourist things. Good clean, safe with nice local food and friendly people. We enjoy being part of a community where possible.

Re the condo ... then we'd be happy to look at house / villa as well. We were unsure of the rent costs and were looking at various website rental agencies.

And the lifestyle ... we didn't want a glamour lifestyle, but we didn't want to find ourselves wanting either. So live comfortable but ensure we have sufficient cash if required. So sorry if it sounds like showing off as that is not the case. Everything in Australia is very expensive and THB11,000 p/wk does not get a very good condo (no ocean views, average area in Sydney, noisy).

I know this sounds silly, but it is a big decision to plan and making sure these elements are right is the foundation. This is why we seek all your thoughts - good or bad.

Thank you.

They want 2 bedroom with good ocean views, and probably new-ish and nice place close to city center. 40K rent is not that far off the mark for 2 bedroom.

As others mentioned, transportation on Phuket is going to be expensive. You really should get a car if traveling around Thailand is something you want to do. I would consider Krabi area as an alternative - again, with a car. You can take some decent road trips from Krabi. It will be easier than starting in Phuket.

If your plan is to spend 10 years here, then it doesn't really matter where you go. Everything will be pretty good at first. Then as you discover new places and solidify your lifestyle preferences, you can move to different areas. You will be able to do this on 110K/month very comfortably as long as you don't let luxury items and trips get out of hand.

I would take a look at Hua Hin before you make a decision. As people have said Phuket has many transport issues, add to that all the "other" issues that come with Phuket (Tuk Tuk mafia, jet ski mafia, overcharging mafia..... I think you get the idea) as well as the other negatives regularly written about Phuket it is far from the paradise you may be looking for.

As city people I am sure you will still get the urge and HH has much easier access to Bangkok (agree flights are cheap these days) when you get the urge to smell the city. HH would be more pleasant, still has the language schools, nice beaches, good shopping and access to beautiful coastline south to Chumpon, and more central for future travels if you do buy a car. For example from HH you can drive to Krabi in 6 hours, or North well into Issan in 6 hours. In Phuket everywhere (pretty much) is north.

Personally I think the people are nicer and much more civilised in HH but that is my opinion !!

Good luck

Lots of good places to stay in Thailand . I spent a month in the Mae Hong Song area in Mar. the people very nice and a lot of exploreing on motorcycles. This is a very reasonable area for spending as well.

Lots of good places to stay in Thailand . I spent a month in the Mae Hong Song area in Mar. the people very nice and a lot of exploreing on motorcycles. This is a very reasonable area for spending as well.

How about the ocean view that the OP was looking for?I think that is one of their main criteria.

Ocean view ... yes is something we are 100% needing in the first year. To watch sunrise & sunset & ocean waves is very relaxing & calming - something we both need (plus a good drink).

We see year 1 as starting to learn the language, and then getting to know Thailand better as a 'local'. I know it takes many yrs to understand a country.

So the first yr is to establish language, understand the workings on the country & life and to settle in. I think settling in usually takes about 1 yr.

Then yr 2 can be more 'adventure' and change locations if we choose as well.

It feels scary even thinking about packing up and moving life to a new country.

So may be a bit cliche ... but wen are looking for our tropical paradise that is affordable and a slower paced life.

So thank you everyone so far. We have started to make a list of possible locations.

Financially - well everyone seems to think that we have the budget right ? So that is good news.

In most of these locations, how difficult is it to get domestic help e.g house keeping & cooking for say 2 days per wk ? And expected cost ?

And to get a car & driver for a full day usually cost about ?

Thanks again.

You said "tropical paradise." Thailand is not a tropical paradise.

It has many problems. There are good and bad things here, just like the rest of the world.

Financially, you seem to be in good shape........you actually don't need to spend that much to have a quality lifestyle.

Ocean view.........that does up the price. Avoid real estate vultures.........they are all over Phuket, Hua Hin, and Pattaya.

Just buy a couple of motorcycles to get around on........easy and fun for some people (but it is incredibly hot in Thailand).

Good luck. If you are looking for a quiet beach life, that can be found, but you lose some nice Western perks.

Phuket, to me, is ruined already. But for people who have not lived here a long time, it may seem like paradise.

Good luck learning Thai at any place that offers Ed Visas.

Usually they don't make much effort to teach as most people only want the Visas.

How about a volunteer work Ed Visa, 4 hours community work a week, quite interesting, 1/2 the cost of the language course and you can choose to learn the language somewhere that actually has the aim of teaching you Thai.

And in particular

Walen doesn't employ teachers, they employ pretty girls straight out of university .... the girls have degrees but are not trained teachers.

(Not knocking the Walen system, if they employed proper teachers I think it would be very good, but they don't and it isn't)

Edited by sarahsbloke

What is it with people and living by the ocean ? I just don't get it.

Peaceful, calming, always changing, no chance of being built-up in front, cool, entertaining - a change

Was brought up by the sea, so it feels natural.

Each to their own I guess.

How about a volunteer work Ed Visa, 4 hours community work a week, quite interesting, 1/2 the cost of the language course and you can choose to learn the language somewhere that actually has the aim of teaching you Thai.

Any more info on this volunteer work Ed visa?

You said "tropical paradise." Thailand is not a tropical paradise.

It has many problems. There are good and bad things here, just like the rest of the world.

Financially, you seem to be in good shape........you actually don't need to spend that much to have a quality lifestyle.

Ocean view.........that does up the price. Avoid real estate vultures.........they are all over Phuket, Hua Hin, and Pattaya.

Just buy a couple of motorcycles to get around on........easy and fun for some people (but it is incredibly hot in Thailand).

Good luck. If you are looking for a quiet beach life, that can be found, but you lose some nice Western perks.

Phuket, to me, is ruined already. But for people who have not lived here a long time, it may seem like paradise.

Thanks for your thoughts. Some good points.

Re tropical paradise ... well I guess I mean a place to live that is by the sea, warm to hot climate (we love the heat) and peaceful. We appreciate every country has it's problems. But Thailand's don't seem to be show-stoppers. And provided the country isn't hostile, then it should be ok I hope. Everytime we've been has been a good experience (last time was March 2010 just before riots)

Puket - yep we've off from there already. That place is now off our list.

Re finances - we don't need to spend that much. I guess I was doing a 'sanity' check to get peopls thoughts to see if I was off track or not.

Motorcycles ... nope. We can't ride for sh*t. It has been suggested to hire a car for a few months. This may be an option until we find our feet then decide what to do.

And lastly, when you said "Avoid real estate vultures" ... what do you mean ??

Peaceful, calming, always changing, no chance of being built-up in front, cool, entertaining - a change

Exactly!  :thumbsup:

Any more info on this volunteer work Ed visa?

ChiangMai University, near me, but I think most Thai unis have one running.

http://classifieds.t...tute-24816.html

No beaches near me, plenty of country houses 6000-15000bht a month, pretty mountains though.

I'm spending about 40,000bht a month, supporting wife, daughter and MIL.

I could do it cheaper but like eating out.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Hua Hin "Area" I would say but not necessarily in Hua Hin, this way you have access to Bangkok and also access to the empty beaches near Chumphon and others heading down that way which I love (see photo).

You will need an International driving licence to drive for a year which you get in your own country, later you can do the Thai test it isnt hard.

post-66436-014532700 1278510488_thumb.jp

Very doable for one year, even two, but spinning that out to ten years will undoubtedly hit the double whammies of inflation and income/capital loss.

you can reasonably expect costs to more than double in the next ten years, and you should consider the impact of being out of the labour market for more than a couple of years.

Are you shitting me!? My remote plan is to buy a house on the Irish west coast, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Sit there and read books as the ocean roars in...eat oysters, drink Guinness and Irish whiskey until my time is up. It's all about the ocean laddie!

Edited by Forethat

Each to their own I guess.

I tried a few place along the beach in Thailand. Phuket, Krabi, Koh Samui, Hua Hin, Pattaya (1 day), Koh Tao, Koh Chang but the only ones that were peaceful were the ones south of huahin (Ban Krut, Chumphon) all the way to Surat. They lack however 'western' infrastructure. The best was my house at the beach in The Netherlands, although now very expensive.

Don't underestimate the amount of noise Thais can produce. It is no bother when you are holidaying, you probably add to the noise, but if you live there this can be a nuisance.

I grew up close to the sea too, still looking for that spot in Thailand were i would want to settle. I am now leaning to living in an area about 2-3 km from the beach. Peace and quiet, mountain views like in Krabi or Phang-nga (still largely without tourists) and a short drive to the beach.

Tourist kills many nice places as the local people smell money and don't have any regard for nature unfortunately.

Instead of nurturing it and make money for generations it often is full with concrete and the same bars, hotels, restaurant strips as in the other places for instant money now. I bet many that live in those areas failed their marshmellow test.

First stay mobile because what you think is a nice place now can change quickly. If you shoot roots to fast you might regret it later. If you have a 10 year plan, make the first one a 'discovery' year. Stay somewhere in a season you not experienced yet. Rain season, hot season, hottest season. Or depending on your place tourist high season or low season. Places can look very different in other times.

My point is, don't expect it to be like it was on your holidays.

On thing about the money. It is enough, but in a 10 year span a lot can happen to exchange rates (ask the English). Prepare for that.

I would take a look at Hua Hin before you make a decision. As people have said Phuket has many transport issues, add to that all the "other" issues that come with Phuket (Tuk Tuk mafia, jet ski mafia, overcharging mafia..... I think you get the idea) as well as the other negatives regularly written about Phuket it is far from the paradise you may be looking for.

As city people I am sure you will still get the urge and HH has much easier access to Bangkok (agree flights are cheap these days) when you get the urge to smell the city. HH would be more pleasant, still has the language schools, nice beaches, good shopping and access to beautiful coastline south to Chumpon, and more central for future travels if you do buy a car. For example from HH you can drive to Krabi in 6 hours, or North well into Issan in 6 hours. In Phuket everywhere (pretty much) is north.

Personally I think the people are nicer and much more civilised in HH but that is my opinion !!

Good luck

Totally agree with "Personally I think the people are nicer and much more civilised in HH but that is my opinion !!"

You've already mentioned that you don't want glamour etc.

In HH you'll meet REAL Thai people. I don't mean to offend anybody but I suggest that in Phuket or Pattaya you won't exprience REAL Thailand or REAL Thais.