Bringing Alcohol To Thailand

teatree

Bringing alcohol into any country "duty free" is supposed to be for your own consumption so it would be whatever the minimum age you would be legally allowed to drink, I think that would be 20 in Thailand - of course nobody under that age ever drinks alcohol in Thailand.

Bringing alcohol into any country "duty free" is supposed to be for your own consumption so it would be whatever the minimum age you would be legally allowed to drink, I think that would be 20 in Thailand - of course nobody under that age ever drinks alcohol in Thailand.

I think the age requirement to enter a pub in Thailand is 20 but that doesn't mean you can't buy or consume it at a younger age.

In the UK for example you must be 18 to buy alcohol but can legally drink at a younger age with parental consent.

Thai Customs say that duty free allowances apply if "the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses (sic)."

According to Wikipedia the legal age to purchase alcohol in Thailand is 20, but there is no minimum age for consumption.

When traveling to Thailand in the past my wife, daughter and self have always taken 3 litres of duty free spirit; 1 each. My daughter is now 19 and has just traveled alone for the first time and she took one litre.

We've never had a problem, but then we've never been stopped by customs!