Vietnam Vs Phillipines

raybona

Hi, me (Belgian) and my wife (Norwegian) are living in Chiang Mai for two years now, and it's time to move on.

We are looking at Vietnam (Nha Trang) and Phillipines either Bohol (Panglao) or Negros (Bacolod).

Is there some one out there who lives in or visited those places, and know something about the cost of living (renting a house, buying second hand car, visaproblems,etc.) and the pros and cons ?

Any advice and guidance would be welcome.

Thanks

hey ray, i think u will more enjoy your time in vietnam than in phils. im from phils and i can say bohol is really nice, they even have a cave there..http://www.bohol-philippines.com/hinagdanan-cave.html

i was in that cave when i was 6. there is nothing to see in bacolod.. its like a province.

if u prefer philippiens u can go to pearl farm beach resort, for snorkeling and relaxing..its very safe there if u book it through them. pearl farm is in davao city, in an island called samal.

but overall there is nothing else in philippines that is good. its basically a big mess in manila, not unless u stay in one city called makati. i just dont want u to waste ur money and be disappointed.

my bf is from vietnam and the views there are nicer, it is cheaper, the food and the clothes, u will have a great time and learn a lot from their culture.

hey ray, i think u will more enjoy your time in vietnam than in phils. im from phils and i can say bohol is really nice, they even have a cave there..http://www.bohol-philippines.com/hinagdanan-cave.html

i was in that cave when i was 6. there is nothing to see in bacolod.. its like a province.

if u prefer philippiens u can go to pearl farm beach resort, for snorkeling and relaxing..its very safe there if u book it through them. pearl farm is in davao city, in an island called samal.

but overall there is nothing else in philippines that is good. its basically a big mess in manila, not unless u stay in one city called makati. i just dont want u to waste ur money and be disappointed.

my bf is from vietnam and the views there are nicer, it is cheaper, the food and the clothes, u will have a great time and learn a lot from their culture.

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

So I think we skip Bacolod and start concentrating on Bohol, or Vietnam. Actually yesterday I met an American who lived in Vietnam, and when I asked him about Nha Trang he said that was the nr. 1 on his list. But asking about the visastuff, he couldn't answer because he was there for his job.

Maybe you know if we can continiously extend touristvisa, and the cost?

Thanks again, Ray

I'm not sure about the tourist visas any more as they've tightened up on them but I don't think there's any restriction on the number of consecutive ones (I'm also working here).

I'm going into town today and I'll try and find out something more definitive.

You might want to try Googling vietnamvisa and check the on-line info there is a very informative page on what is available and how to apply.

ugh my bf visited me last month here in philippines, he arrived on june 3 and the immigration stamped him that he needed to leave on june 22..i dont really understand it..but at the airport on his way back home he was asked to pay 3k pesos (60 dollars) for overstaying for 11 days (since he left on first week of july). i dont really like the way they treat the visitors, to be honest.

if you go to vietnam though you need a tourist visa..i think for americans it cost 50 dollars or so. im not vietnamese so i dont know their policies..but im sure u will have a better time there.

i suppose a visit to your nearest vietnam embassy will be helpful.

Edited by wheatbreadeater

I have been to both Panglao (several days in mid 2009) and Nha Trang (a week in late 2007).

Nha Trang has some good diving, although you need to go out in a ship quite a ways toward some islands, there is nothing close to shore. Nha Trang is a great place to get your diving PADI license (that is what I did).

Panglao is much more expensive than Nha Trang. Some of the worst value in the Philippines for what you get. I don't fully understand why. The restaurants were not very good and overpriced. Any lodging near the beach is fairly expensive.

There are more restaurants near the Nha Trang beach than at Panglao. In fact, I found Panglao kind of isolated. It is not like a real city, more like a big resort area. But only a shadow of Boracay.

You can stay up to around 14 months in the Philippines on a tourist stamp (no visa needed to enter). The renewal costs and exit fees come to around $60 per month per person or so (renew at 21 days, 59 days, and ever 60 days thereafter). You need a visa for vietnam before arrival, at least in 2007. I had to get it renewed at 30 days. You can't renew it in Nha Trang, but for small fee a travel agent will take it from there to Saigon for renewal (that is what I did), granting an extra 30 days.

Now, for the real story. When it comes to people there is no comparison between Vietnam and the Philippines. The Philippines wins hands down by a kilometer. Not many Vietnamese speak English and they are not particularly friendly. Many Filipinos speak a lot of English and can be the friendliest people in the world. On almost every facet of life the Philippines would be a better place to live, for me, than Communist Vietnam.

Personally, I would look for a different place in the Philippines meeting your requirements. You didn't really state what you were looking for and whether this was just a month or so or much longer. Best wishes on your decision!

I checked out an information office in Pham Ngu Lao and you can get a three month tourist visa it just costs more (they didn't know how much). You used to be able to get six months but I believe they tightened up the regulations (didn't want to be getting all of Thailand's "quality" tourists ;) ).

On almost every facet of life the Philippines would be a better place to live, for me, than Communist Vietnam.

Funny comment that, you could live here as a tourist and never know you are in a communist country. Sure on auspicious days you'll find the main streets decked out with red banners with yellow stars (the national flag) and the hammer and sickle. Beyond that it's pretty well as relaxed as Thailand.

btw Viet Nam has something like 6000, yes six thousand, annual festivals from small village affairs to national holidays. Any excuse for a party though fireworks are banned for ordinary folk (not such a bad thing some might think).

I am not very knowledgeable on this subject, but I did spend considerable time in Vietnam many years ago, when it was difficult to get into and there were very few tourists. I also spend considerable time in China. Overall, as far as communist gov'ts go, Vietnam felt less restrictive. The last time I was in VN, it had changed quite positively.

Between the Philippines and Vietnam, I've heard some negatives about the level of safety in the Philippines.

Between the Philippines and Vietnam, I've heard some negatives about the level of safety in the Philippines.

Scott I don't mean to bash or cause trouble, but to make a statement like that without ever having been there.................................

It's like when I go back to the states, and people learn I live in Thailand, "oh it's nothing but a bunch of prostitutes, I saw the PBS Special on the tele".

I've been going to the Philippines a couple times a year the last few years, same as everywhere else, level of safety depends on the places and situations.

I can make no comparison as I have never been to VN but would like to go for sure.

I don't think you will be happy in either place or come to call either home. Philippines is a mess on every count. It has to be one of the poorest values in Asia. Vietnam will also be expensive, then there is the commie thing.

Look at Malaysia Sabah, Sarawak. Parts of colonial Penang? Maybe outlying parts of Hong Kong's islands. Singapore if you can afford it and qualify for LS visas.

Don't even waste your time on Philippines. British ministry even warns against any/all travel there. I was told even years back, despite the hype about lovely beaches, Phils has lower tourism than tiny Cambodia with only one real attraction.

vietnam is still a communist country? wow i didnt even know that /slaps self/

but yeah i still think its safer and more fun there, more bang for ur buck, than here in philippines where u get ripped off from left to right

edit:

depends on where u are, u wont get ripped off much in davao city or cebu..where people still have some dignity. just dont go to manila ..

Philippines is a mess on every count. It has to be one of the poorest values in Asia.

Don't even waste your time on Philippines. British ministry even warns against any/all travel there. I was told even years back, despite the hype about lovely beaches, Phils has lower tourism than tiny Cambodia with only one real attraction.

I'll disagree here, I think the tourism is more than Cambodia, for sure if you eliminate Siem Riep, and PI is not a waste of time, that's crazy. I'm looking forward to diving with the whale sharks at Sorsogon and also doing some surfing in Northern Luzon.

Bangkokburning, I'd like to know the last time you were there, I have a friend who lives in Cebu who is quite happy there.

grumpyoldman: I've been to the Philippines and to Vietnam. But not for a number of years. There was some stuff on the internet about safety in PI. That's what I was referring to.

Personally, I liked both places at the time.

i wouldnt blame bangkokburning for having low opinion of the philippines, but it really does depend where u go. there are some areas that are really bad.

when i got back to my city this month, i was so relieved. when back before i left, i always thought it was a boring town with nothing to do. turns out its clean and peaceful and i like the people. it made me grow to appreciate my city more.

i did visit some tourist spots in manila last month..most of which proved to be overrated.

Well,I'd like to dispel some of the myths about Vietnam.I moved here a month ago to live here,after first living in Cambodia for a few months,and Thailand(Pattaya) for the last four years.As another poster said,Vietnam is a communist country,although on a day to day basis,you don't notice it.There is a bit of paperwork to be done in order to do anything,but it's not difficult,doesn't take long,and if it costs,it's peanuts.The cost of living here is far cheaper than Thailand,e.g.for food drink and rent.I'm living in a small town on the South coast,not far from the Cambodian border,and as far as I know am the only foreigner living here,although you get a lot of people travelling through.The Vietnamese people are very friendly,and in the many visits I've made to Vietnam I've always found this to be the case.Now,in my case it's easier,because I am married to a Vietnamese girl and we have a child,so a lot of passport/visa issues simply don't arise,but so far I am sure we made the right choice.I'll keep you informed

I have been to both Panglao (several days in mid 2009) and Nha Trang (a week in late 2007).

Nha Trang has some good diving, although you need to go out in a ship quite a ways toward some islands, there is nothing close to shore. Nha Trang is a great place to get your diving PADI license (that is what I did).

Panglao is much more expensive than Nha Trang. Some of the worst value in the Philippines for what you get. I don't fully understand why. The restaurants were not very good and overpriced. Any lodging near the beach is fairly expensive.

There are more restaurants near the Nha Trang beach than at Panglao. In fact, I found Panglao kind of isolated. It is not like a real city, more like a big resort area. But only a shadow of Boracay.

You can stay up to around 14 months in the Philippines on a tourist stamp (no visa needed to enter). The renewal costs and exit fees come to around $60 per month per person or so (renew at 21 days, 59 days, and ever 60 days thereafter). You need a visa for vietnam before arrival, at least in 2007. I had to get it renewed at 30 days. You can't renew it in Nha Trang, but for small fee a travel agent will take it from there to Saigon for renewal (that is what I did), granting an extra 30 days.

Now, for the real story. When it comes to people there is no comparison between Vietnam and the Philippines. The Philippines wins hands down by a kilometer. Not many Vietnamese speak English and they are not particularly friendly. Many Filipinos speak a lot of English and can be the friendliest people in the world. On almost every facet of life the Philippines would be a better place to live, for me, than Communist Vietnam.

Personally, I would look for a different place in the Philippines meeting your requirements. You didn't really state what you were looking for and whether this was just a month or so or much longer. Best wishes on your decision!

Thank you all for your replies.

The last I've heard about the VN visa, is that you can get 3 months at the time, but only 2 times a year. So that's not good enough for us.

The Phil. have a very easy visa system, and that is what we need. We just want to live there, spend our money and do nothing. Don't buy anything (except from an old secondhand car), rent a house and enjoy.

Bohol perhaps, or Bacolod (which just have been voted the most livable city in the Phil.)?

Someone lives or lived there?

i dont know about bacolod being livable, im sure it is safe..thats why they say its livable. but there is not a lot of things to do there.

bohol is ok for the chocolate hills.

livable place is either cebu city or davao city. close to beaches and a lot of stuff to do.

Few years back. I've been most everywhere save for the flash touristy spots. Cebu is a sprawl and lots of crime. No really great place to live, no beauty coastline imo both from the city and the island itself. Bacolad gets marks as a nicer city as Dumaguete. But there are lots of local expat complaints as well.

Just rec'd email from a friend commenting on how many friends he's lost due to alcoholism. I would also say, I have never seen more washed up guys than in the RP. Americans are gone by and large. Scores of hand-to-mouth Aussies and the odd English dodger. Of course, German small presence, usually running some sort of "resort".

Ever since my first trip to RP in 94, it struck me as winners/players come to Thailand. The rest go to Philippines.

Before you go, think about all the men and their "s.o.'s" living in Thailand. Why? Because it sucks. Any Thai women living in Phils? Nope.

I don't think Davao as very enjoyable, for me - never "home", occasional bombings as well.

Manila, I heard an urban planner comment on is officially "failed". Phils is a failed state in every way.

Vietnam - never took to the place. If you think you are an outsider in Lieland, wait till you try to settle in Vietnam.

Incidentally Phils visas are no longer a bargain and seemingly go up annually. Gov't sees this as a money spinner so no end in sight. They love to tag on a forced expedite fee as well making the visa even more expensive.

Have you thought about spending a few months in a number of countries? Coming and going as the best weather suits. I honestly do not think there is a Nirvana now Thailand being what it is now (politics, modern, pricy, visa problems, theft/crime).

Singapore need not be expensive. You are an older retired couple. Might be nice for you,

Edited by bangkokburning

Hello Raybona, I live in khon kaen for 9 years and after visiting VN a few times. seeing different places,<div> I decided to rent a house in Nha Trang, travelling regularly between kk and NT. </div><div>KK is pretty dull, not touristic, a few falang mixed public but mainly people most who visited Pattaya/Phuket and then migrating to here to &nbsp;the girls hometown.  </div><div>Nha Trang is totally different, no KK, no Pattaya, but a lovely booming beachtown, islands and mountains. Many bars/restaurants with a great choice of food. (beers start at THB 20!). Many Aussies and Americans and English. </div><div>Renting a hotel room for a month: THB 6000,- up. Apparments downtown from 10000,-. </div><div>Friendly people. You need a bit of commercial skills if you'ŕe in the buying process. Many tourists, older and many backpackers, no whoreseekers!<div>Medical care: very mediocre! I will fly to bkk if I have a serious problem.</div><div>Visa 3 months np, on arrival, but you have to arrange this with a visa intermediate or go to a consulate in chiangmai (more expensive THB 6000 for a multiple)</div><div>I like it!</div><div>you can pm me for more.<br><br><br>Something want wrong, I don know what!?

</div></div>

Edited by harry

gosh bangkok  you are hard to please. reminds me of my british teacher who made me repeat a thesis 10x. <br><br>i lived in davao for a long time there were only 2 bombing for 20 years (one in the airport a few years ago and the other one was in a church back in the 80s). im not gonna defend this country im sick of doing that..theres too many of people like u and i dont blame u.

we'd expect to hear the first hand account and  opinon from former vietnamese boat people who settled down in philipines, while now travel regularly betweene manila/cebu to vietnam..

IMHO, vietnam offer better cheaper broadband internet and wifi , while phillipines doesn't has censorship..also VN offers cheap rice and gasoline

While some think "the Philippines is a mess" I will assure you there are many places that are not.

Go to Panglao, Bohol. Residential rates for long stay are similar to those in Home in Park, Koolapunt, or Baan Nai Fun. Beautiful beaches, several A or AAA resorts to choose from (thus the "expensive" comments from the cheap charlies ;)) and to a man they speak English, will treat you as VIPs, and are very helpful/hospitable. Yes, it's also safe. As for vehicles, you would get daily/monthly rates for cars and insurance, similar to Chiang Mai rates.

If you must see Manila, stick to Makati City, a farang playground. I would recommend no place else in the capital. Those travel advisories do not differentiate the "good" areas from the "bad" areas. To some westerners, most of the Philippines is a "mess" as it doesn't meet their comfort and convenience standards.

Go to Boracay, Aklan. July would be a low season month and fewer tourists are around. But it's also rainy season, so expect some rain some days. Residential rates depend on location. I would stick with the more commercial hotels though for short term. Fairways Bluewater and Boracay Hotel should be a good bet. I'm not familiar with car rent as this is a mere 4-kilometer long island.

OP: have you visited these places yet? If not, airfare is cheap. Head on over, spend a week or more, and then make your decision. What is great for you, could be horrible for others...and vice versa.

NT seems like a pretty nice town. For me? Not enough to do...but you are happy doing nothing, so it might work out great! And if it gets too hot, head to Dalat and enjoy some great veggies!

I spent a month and traveled all over the PI. I decided it was not where I wanted to live. But fun to visit and GREAT for diving. Food is lousy and security is an issue. I was alarmed at how many armed guards I saw...everywhere.

You might also want to check out this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/347262-alternative-retirement-destinations-for-expats-other-than-thailand/

vietnam is still a communist country? wow i didnt even know that /slaps self/

but yeah i still think its safer and more fun there, more bang for ur buck, than here in philippines where u get ripped off from left to right

edit:

depends on where u are, u wont get ripped off much in davao city or cebu..where people still have some dignity. just dont go to manila ..

You didn't even know that VN is a communist country and you are here giving advice?

While some think "the Philippines is a mess" I will assure you there are many places that are not.

Go to Panglao, Bohol. Residential rates for long stay are similar to those in Home in Park, Koolapunt, or Baan Nai Fun. Beautiful beaches, several A or AAA resorts to choose from (thus the "expensive" comments from the cheap charlies ;)) and to a man they speak English, will treat you as VIPs, and are very helpful/hospitable. Yes, it's also safe. As for vehicles, you would get daily/monthly rates for cars and insurance, similar to Chiang Mai rates.

If you must see Manila, stick to Makati City, a farang playground. I would recommend no place else in the capital. Those travel advisories do not differentiate the "good" areas from the "bad" areas. To some westerners, most of the Philippines is a "mess" as it doesn't meet their comfort and convenience standards.

Go to Boracay, Aklan. July would be a low season month and fewer tourists are around. But it's also rainy season, so expect some rain some days. Residential rates depend on location. I would stick with the more commercial hotels though for short term. Fairways Bluewater and Boracay Hotel should be a good bet. I'm not familiar with car rent as this is a mere 4-kilometer long island.

Hi Freeurmind2, thanks for the positive reply, and I do agree that the whole of the Phillipines is NOT a mess. I've never been in the PH. but than again I lived nearly all over the world, including 3 years in Russia, 4 years in India and now 2 years in Thailand (never been to those countries before living there!). I want to go and live somewhere I've never been before and enjoy as much as I can for my budget (1800 US$/month), and spend it all. as said before, the only thing I want to buy is a 15-20 year old car, I want to rent a 2 bedroom fully furnished house (because we're not staying longer than a few years anyway) for about 10-15000 Pesos, around 10-15Km. away from a beach and the same from town. Possible?

We will never go to Manila, Cebu and so-on. It's only Bohol or Bacalod in negros.

So again, it's only for a couple of years, no interest in the culture whatsoever, just live, enjoy and spend. Living in Chiang Mai for 2 years means time to move for us.

Do you think this is possible in the PH. ?

Thanks.

Edited by raybona

Wow...what a life. Great choices. Where in Russia did you live? That had to be really interesting.

I was in Dumaguete for about 10 days a few years ago. Nice, small city. Nice beaches nearby. Great diving just off shore. Close to Cebu. And a college town....so there's a bit to do. That might be interesting to checkout?

Hi there, we don't know anything abot the Phils never been there but we have been around the world for 25years and especially around Asia for 14years based in Thailand and we only can nod our heads on the answers before about the people in VN. We had some biz there last year and stayed for 3 month on a biz visa, based in HCMC and tavelled a lot.

The most boring place on the planet the most boring people on the planet, even in HCMC hardly find anyone speaking english and those who think they speak english can only read and write, not speak or listen. The people appear to us like living robots, they praise their lousy country a every moment. Their characters are like taking advantage of foreigners, being cowardish and mistrusting,not able to decide anything or even answer a question. If they are your employees they are easy to handle, reliable and robotlike, if you want to find any cultural roots or make friends - nearly impossible, really brainwashed, don't yu dare to ask any critical question.

Even the chinese population stays among their own culture and doesn't mix with the vietnamese, the chinese speak chinese and live in their own areas, they do not want to speak vietnamese.

There are some expat communities especially in HCMC, they stay among themselves and don't even trust their VN domestic helpers, there is a saying going on :don't ever give a vn a small finger, we got this from people who have good biz in here but hate the living circumstances.

VN people with money love to travel often to Bangkok or Singapore bc they find their own country very boring, many families do that every month.

The best thing about VN was beer Saigon and the flight back home after 3 month, we could have left earlier but when we commit to do s.th. we do it, no matter what

All the best Mag&Uli from Pattaya

Hi there, we don't know anything abot the Phils never been there but we have been around the world for 25years and especially around Asia for 14years based in Thailand and we only can nod our heads on the answers before about the people in VN. We had some biz there last year and stayed for 3 month on a biz visa, based in HCMC and tavelled a lot.

The most boring place on the planet the most boring people on the planet, even in HCMC hardly find anyone speaking english and those who think they speak english can only read and write, not speak or listen. The people appear to us like living robots, they praise their lousy country a every moment. Their characters are like taking advantage of foreigners, being cowardish and mistrusting,not able to decide anything or even answer a question. If they are your employees they are easy to handle, reliable and robotlike, if you want to find any cultural roots or make friends - nearly impossible, really brainwashed, don't yu dare to ask any critical question.

Even the chinese population stays among their own culture and doesn't mix with the vietnamese, the chinese speak chinese and live in their own areas, they do not want to speak vietnamese.

There are some expat communities especially in HCMC, they stay among themselves and don't even trust their VN domestic helpers, there is a saying going on :don't ever give a vn a small finger, we got this from people who have good biz in here but hate the living circumstances.

VN people with money love to travel often to Bangkok or Singapore bc they find their own country very boring, many families do that every month.

The best thing about VN was beer Saigon and the flight back home after 3 month, we could have left earlier but when we commit to do s.th. we do it, no matter what

All the best Mag&Uli from Pattaya

Well I think you are talking nonsense,I don't know how much time you have actually spent in Vietnam,or where,but,as I have said in my previous posts here,(and on other forums),I am married to a Vietnamese girl and we have a child,I have visited here many times over the last 6 years,we now live here,and I have never encountered any such behaviour,in fact since we have lived here for the last month we have had nothing but interest and help from the locals.It was a 6 week touring holiday earlier this year in Vietnam that finally made me decide to sell up in Thailand and move here to live,and so far I haven't regretted it for a minute.I have never found any of the people here that I have dealt with to have the characteristics that you describe.Perhaps you will be happier in Pattaya,we lived there for 4 years and had a very successful business,but I'm glad we got out of there.

Edited by lekatai

I had some business in Makati, never spent time in other areas (Manila). All I can add is that it seemed a bit seedy and I witnessed corruption, but not too expensive for me.

Just curious if the OP ruled out Cambodia, and if so -why. Sihanoukville may not be the scene for them and I can understand. But the business visa is enticing. Sorry if I'm too off topic.

Just to add my 2 cents to this post. I've been to Philippines many times and recently spent some time in Vietnam. Bacalod City is a nice city. A couple of large shopping malls, (Robinsons and SM), 3 golf courses, (2 in Bacalod and one in Victorias). English is no problem, city is clean and orderly and traffic is not bad. I would not have a problem living there. As mentioned already, I would avoid anywhere in Metro Manila and Cebu. I traveled around Vietnam, HCMC, Dalat, Na Thrang and Phan Tiet. Played golf in Dalat and Phan Thiet... golf is expensive, everything else is ridiculously cheap. VN people are friendly and helpful but language is definitely a barrier except in the touristy areas. Don't know about long stay visa's for Vietnam but for Philippines, very easy. just arrive on a 21 day passport stamp and do 59 day extensions. Thailand has always been my first choice, Philippines my 2nd choice...