4 Months Before Renewing Extension

Hi if you don't mind, I am still looking for an answer to the following:

What paperwork do I need to present at Immigration, in order to claim the Type O retirement Visa, using the following application criteria:

my Thai income for the most recent tax return filed (2009) is 600,000 baht

I have cash balance in my Thai bank savings account 200,000

total 800,000

I understand the paperwork that is required for the bank account.

I do not know the paperwork that is required for the proof of income.

would a copy of my 2009 tax return and a certifying letter from my tax accountant suffice?

Or is notarization required ?

and if so, is there a qualified list of notaries posted somewhere. Thanks, Paddy.

Edited by paddypower

Paddy, if i remember right, for the proof of income it needs to be certified by your embassy/consulate

Edit: oh i just noted that your income is actually coming from inside Thailand, so in this case i don't know...

Edited by surayu

You cannot have money in a bank account ouside of Thailand and use for retirement extension or recieve a non-o visa for retirement from Vientiene.

Met a fellow American in March complaining he had recieved a bad visa. I asked him why so he explained he had applied for a non-o visa for retirement purpose at Vientien Embassy. Lady asked him if he had money in Thai bank account he explains no money in US bank account, what is wrong with that? lady says have to be in Thai bank account for retirement. He was given a multiply tourist visa.

paddypower...

the Thai officials KNOW the hot heads and it is payback time. If you friend even thinks of the word "bribe" or speaks of thus,

He can and will be deported just for loss of face. Read all the posts in this topic thread...the basic overstay or extension is 1900b.

I know a Thai-looking Swedish male that lost his cool at a Thai Immigration official. Lous voices, screaming and use of foul language

in passah Angkrit let passah Thai. Not good.

Let's just say he had to return to Sweden to obtain NEW passport

to expunge the comments and criticisms written in Thai in his passport pages. Totally unnecessary if he had kept jai yen.

Easier said than done for him.

Basically, your friend had better jump on a flight or bus or train to Vientiane and obtain 60 day Tourist visa and start all over.

Or cough up the 1900b extension fee. The Thai official is actually giving your friend a break, but your friend doesn't see it this way.

This is pure poison. Attitude is everything.......

If he goes back to the same official, things will get outta hand fast (you know this, everyone knows this, except your friend).

The result will be an expensive meltdown. Best just to admit your friend screwed up by running late. He will be paying for

late fees. If this makes him hotter, then tell him to suss out flights back to his home country and a string of black marks noted on the computer

for his file.

Up to You......

Thanks for the several posts of advice - re: my hot-tempered neighbour.

Explanations of what he encountered show that the officer in question was being helpful.

I can see now that my neighbour's interpretation of the situation is riddled with prejudice on his part.

Because when I told him the first time, that he had better listen politley...he started to rant about how they (Immigration) has given him the wrong information and why should he pay for that?

My wife suggested that I let him head off to the Immigration today, without mentioning what you all say.

He just does not want to listen.

If he cannot behave, he has no rights.

The good news is - that the way the rules are going - guys who are marginally functional and/or solvent , and who think (and act) like they are Gods gift to Thailand will be weeded out, in time. Weeded out simply by their own actions.

We feel sorry only for the wife and her immediate family, who are quire poor. But, you know - they have more character in their little finger(s) than this guy has....Thanks again, this is a very informative forum ....Paddy

paddypower...

the Thai officials KNOW the hot heads and it is payback time. If you friend even thinks of the word "bribe" or speaks of thus,

He can and will be deported just for loss of face. Read all the posts in this topic thread...the basic overstay or extension is 1900b.

I know a Thai-looking Swedish male that lost his cool at a Thai Immigration official. Lous voices, screaming and use of foul language

in passah Angkrit let passah Thai. Not good.

Let's just say he had to return to Sweden to obtain NEW passport

to expunge the comments and criticisms written in Thai in his passport pages. Totally unnecessary if he had kept jai yen.

Easier said than done for him.

Basically, your friend had better jump on a flight or bus or train to Vientiane and obtain 60 day Tourist visa and start all over.

Or cough up the 1900b extension fee. The Thai official is actually giving your friend a break, but your friend doesn't see it this way.

This is pure poison. Attitude is everything.......

If he goes back to the same official, things will get outta hand fast (you know this, everyone knows this, except your friend).

The result will be an expensive meltdown. Best just to admit your friend screwed up by running late. He will be paying for

late fees. If this makes him hotter, then tell him to suss out flights back to his home country and a string of black marks noted on the computer

for his file.

Up to You......

Edited by paddypower

• 2 weeks later...

You can not normally work on a retirement extension of stay so believe you will have to have 800k in bank account.

I think I will open a new topic on this. I have lived here for 15 years. have a couple of rental properties. Paid my taxes. I find it difficult to believe that I cannot own an investment asset which generates income here?

For example, as a retiree, type O, can I own bonds and ''earn' interest income? But not own a house or apartment and earn rental income? Thanks, Patrick.

And you seem to be reading things into my post that were not intended. You can surly have income here - but you were asking about using for extension of stay for retirement and that requires proof of the amount being due you each year. For a pension/annuity you would have such paperwork but for rental income you can only provide evidence of previous payments which may not be applicable and expect there is no procedure available to Immigration for approval (as is the case in external verification by Embassy letter). So I believe for Immigration use of that income may not be accepted and you may be told, if presenting paperwork showing income, you are not retired and thus not eligible for retirement extension of stay.

I am not saying that will happen but trying to provide you some hurdles that may have to be overcome.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Can the 400k / 800k in the bank account be used as one sees fit once their visa / extension application has been approved and as long as the 400k / 800k amount is restored 3 month's before the next year's renewal date or must the bank acct not go below the Baht 400k /800k level at all during the year?