4 Months Before Renewing Extension

It's about four months now before I have to renew my O extension based on marriage.

My Mrs. wants to stick 500,000 into some banks savings account where she'll get 1.1% each 4 months. Anyway, she asked me today if she opened the account in my name could I use it as the account when I make my application (November). Is that type of savings account acceptable to immigration?

Thanks

Mick

It sounds like the money is locked (likely a penalty for early withdrawal) during the 4 month periods, correct? Sometimes it depends on the specific immigration office (or worse, the officer) regarding enforcement on these matters. You should mention your office, that may help get more relevant comments.

Thanks jingthing. I go to the new Bangkok immigration office. We've had the same grumpy woman the last few times (Suan Phlu and the new office). The penalty you mention sounds correct.

Edited by bkkmick

Hmmm...we've been together for 14 years and married for 10 with two kids (7 and 8). Still jumping through these hoops is a pain in the arse. I'll probably just go for it and see what happens. Thanks.

That makes sense Lite Beer. Even though the money's locked in there for interest purposes we can still get access to it if needed. Thanks.

It also exists some saving accounts which part (usually what you put at the beginning) is locked for some years. But you can always add 100 bahts which will be then out of the interest calculation.

For the extension renewal, we usually withdraw these 100 bahts at the next ATM, I guess we could do the same the in adding them.

Anyone already tried?

You don't have to tie up your money in a savings account. You will need to show that you have available Bht 800,000 in a combination of savings account and/or monthly pensions. As long as you have a total of 800,000 available. I use my Stateside savings account and my pension income to cover that reqirement.

You don't have to tie up your money in a savings account. You will need to show that you have available Bht 800,000 in a combination of savings account and/or monthly pensions. As long as you have a total of 800,000 available. I use my Stateside savings account and my pension income to cover that reqirement.

You do what???!!!???

Are you talking about O-A visas or EXTENSIONS?

I am pretty certain for the COMBINATION method of getting retirement extensions IN Thailand, the banked portion MUST be in a THAI bank account. You are really doing this with the banked portion OUTSIDE Thailand? If so, I am amazed. If you are talking about getting O-As, totally different story.

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

Hi There , I was under the impression that the required sum in a Thai bank account was 400,000 bht , seasoned for 3 months . 800,000 is for retirement visa ????

Ha Ha. Yep too early for me.

As Lop said there is no combination option for marriage.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

<br>You don't have to tie up your money in a savings account.  You will need to show that you have available Bht 800,000 in a combination of savings account and/or monthly pensions.  As long as you have a total of 800,000 available.  I use my Stateside savings account and my pension income to cover that reqirement.<br>
<br><br>And you PROVE your stateside savings account HOW?<br>I have heard before THAT is not acceptable.<br>Money HAS to be in Thailand...even if is combination with pension statement.<br>Please advise.<br><br><br>

I renewed my annual visa recently with a fixed account. It was a pain, but it was accepted. You have to have a print-out of the bank book on the day of the application for an extension. Have the bank manager stamp and sign every page of the print-out / photocopy of the bank account book.

If the bank book shows any deductions or additions, such as charges or interest, the cover letter from the bank that says there is 500,000 Baht in the account should explain those details. Don't forget the cover letter that says how much is in the account ... even though the book says how much is in the account! It's so silly! If you can, also take along the bank manager to certify his letter, the bank's computer server, and all the bank staff to act as witnesses. I had to go back to the bank manager and tell him that the guy at Immigration didn't believe his letter.

If you live in a housing estate, take a photo of yourselves in front of the estate, as well as on the bed, in the living room, and in front of the house with the house number. Colour photos.

If the house is not your own, get a letter in Thai from the owner saying that s/he allows you to live there.

Goodness knows what additional photos and documents will be asked for next year. But one day the 400,000 Baht amount will surely be increased, and they won't tell you in advance. Maybe also for more than 2 months in a row. Immigration seems to be trying to make it harder for married couples to stay together in Thailand. That's my opinion anyway.

Edited by renaissanc
  • Like 1

acftmaintainer is correctomundo......but this is if you are a Yank.......I agree, it can be frustrating at times when you hear 5 versions of Rules from several of your closest friends.......

You WILL need 21 good days left on your current Thai visa to initiate ANY visa. This is very important.

I used to have an "O-A" Long Term Retirement (USA only I believe), that cost about $175 USD all-in from the Thai Embassy

in Washingtong, Los Angeles or Chicago Thai Embassy locations. Lotsa paperwork, forms downloaded from the net. Medical okay, police report, all notarized.

Bank statements as well on the BANK STATIONERY, money in US bank. Amount was over 800k baht. Original copies.

The shortcoming going this route is that the ticker on your 12 month visa begins ticking when THEY assign the visa date in your passport, not when it is first used.

I got held up with the airport closure Deccember 2008 and I arrived in the Kingdom January 2009. Yeah, you MIGHT think for 2-3 seconds that

the visa clock begins ticking when I arrived, but no. I lost 3 months of visa time.

Last winter, I obtained a free 60-day Thai Tourist visa up in Vientiane and then began the processing of my "O"Long Term Retirement visa.

First stop: ACS (American Citizenship Services) on Wireless Road. The US Embassy routinely comes to Pattaya to provide their notarial service.

Go to their most excellent website to find out when their next date in Pattaya will be. Usually a Sunday at the Dusit, but it can change.

Also, while at the US Embassy website, register as a citizen abroad with your email address. The US gov't has no clue where its citizens are. It is a free, optional and a useful service to sign up for.

All in the advent of emergency, tsunami, death in the family etc. You never know. You just might possess a particular skill that they need NOW, in an emergency.

At ACS you fill out a notarized form letter that shows your monthly income is at least 65k baht per month. This notarial fee used to be $30 for decades, is now $50.

Free passport pages sewn into your US passport will now cost you $82. Hey, it helps them defray expenses running all their varied citizenship services.

Now get your Residency Letter, your Thai Bank book and US Bank notarized documents(over $25k USD, or 800k baht) and take them to Soi 5 Jomtien.

You will also have to pay 200 baht to your Thai bank for a printout of all your transactions. You need a combination of all over 800k baht in addition to your Notarized

letter of Stated Income.

Why all this? Think about it. The Thais really do not want some falang coming to their country mooching off THEIR social security system, if any. They want you to be in good health,

sound mind and possess the income and means to support yourself WITHOUT taking a job from a Thai. They want us all to contribute and not be a burden on their services.

If one day, you throw your hands up and decalre you have no funds, they have the legal documentation on hand to deport you due to insufficient funds.

You have the photos, enough time left in your current passport, and pay the fee......about $115USD, or 3800b.

This is the 15 month "O"Long Term Retirement only. Give the lads and yourself a rest.....come back within a week or two and apply for a multiple re-entry visa, another

3800b or $115 USD. You are all set for approximately $260 - $300 USD.

Be polite, write down any questions or answers you do not understand and NEVER blow up, act unnerved, throw a tantrum, or try to show up any of the officials at anytime.

This is important. Yes, bring a book, or a journal to write in while doing any Embassy work. You know all this, so come prepared.

If what friends have told you does not jive with what you are now hearing from an official, nod, thank them for their time. Be Appreciative, even though you might be befuddled and confused.

Try another day.

It's their Kingdom and we want in......

When obtaining an extension based on retirement IN Thailand using the combination method (income/pension letter PLUS banked amount reaching 800K baht), it makes no difference if you are American, the banked money MUST be in a THAI bank account.

Interesting reading.

First mistake, have Thai wife. For that matter, any wife.

Second mistake, take Thai wife to immigration office.

You do, immigration personnel totally disregard you (farang) and gab away in Thai with wife.

If Thai wife and Immigration officer are from Isan you are even further lost, they gab in Isanese.

Don't think I'm JOKING.

I have been dealing with this yearly rig-o-morale, not years, but decades.

I use it as my day's entertainment watching all the farangs jumping thru the hoops.

Each year the "game" is changed.

It is the best method I can think of to keep the Farangs off balance so they cannot get their fingers in the system.

Last time I was given a letter to sign agreeing to have 400,000 Baht in saving account for Thai wife.

I can see Immigration's reason.

Lots of farangs when the flames of involvement with Thai females start burning their ass, they jump ship.

No lines on the form to write anything.

Told the Lt. I did not have Thai wife, my talk was waste of time. Sign Form was reply.

I found blank area on form and wrote:

I'm not married.

I DO NOT have Thai wife.

Signed Form.

Lt. had what I needed,

So, sign Form.

It is as simple as that.

Hi all, my wife and I have type O retirement visas, annually renewed for going on 15 years now.

This is RE; the money qualifications.

Each year in the past, I filed with 800,000 in the bank and my wife piggybacks on my application. No problems there.

Our current visas will expire in December 2010.

I reported rental income on my 2009 Thai tax return.

Let's say the gross rents was 600,000 baht. I got standard deductions and I paid taxes as required.

I am thinking - I could get a better interest income if I keep 200,000 in my savings account and if I invest the surplus 600,000 baht in a fixed deposit account, or bond or something..

What paperwork do I need to present at Immigration, in order to claim this income as part of my total money requirement?

E.G. would a copy of my 2009 tax return and a certifying letter from my tax accountant suffice?

Or is notarization required ?

and if so, is there a qualified list of notaries posted somewhere?

Thanks in advance. Paddy.

I renewed my annual visa recently with a fixed account. It was a pain, but it was accepted. You have to have a print-out of the bank book on the day of the application for an extension. Have the bank manager stamp and sign every page of the print-out / photocopy of the bank account book.

If the bank book shows any deductions or additions, such as charges or interest, the cover letter from the bank that says there is 500,000 Baht in the account should explain those details. Don't forget the cover letter that says how much is in the account ... even though the book says how much is in the account! It's so silly! If you can, also take along the bank manager to certify his letter, the bank's computer server, and all the bank staff to act as witnesses. I had to go back to the bank manager and tell him that the guy at Immigration didn't believe his letter.

If you live in a housing estate, take a photo of yourselves in front of the estate, as well as on the bed, in the living room, and in front of the house with the house number. Colour photos.

If the house is not your own, get a letter in Thai from the owner saying that s/he allows you to live there.

Goodness knows what additional photos and documents will be asked for next year. But one day the 400,000 Baht amount will surely be increased, and they won't tell you in advance. Maybe also for more than 2 months in a row. Immigration seems to be trying to make it harder for married couples to stay together in Thailand. That's my opinion anyway.

The money must be in a cash account. The normal passbook savings account is accepted and most will accept the time deposit (fixed deposit) accounts (which are cash and can be withdrawn at any time with only loss of interest). The bank accounts and letters from bank are required.

I have a hot tempered neighbour.

He just applied to renew his retirement ''O'' visa.

On his previous 90 day visit to Immigration, he checked what paper work was needed for the renewal of his annual Visa.

The advice (verbal) did not mention that he had to bring photos of he, his wife and their house.

He was asked by the (new) Immigration officer for photos of himself and his wife and the house interior/exterior.

Which meant, since he did not know about this requirement, he did not have them and he did not get his Visa.

This was on July 9.

His Visa expires on July 10 (which, I thought, is not done - i.e. to stamp your passport with an expiry date on a weekend day??).

On July 9, the Immigration officer asked him for 2,000 baht for óverstay'.

Both the request and the amount do not make sense.

He said so - the Immigration officer took offence and said he could be sent back to Europe...

My understanding is, if your retirement visa expires on a Saturday, Immigration will allow you to renew it the following MOnday - without penalty. and, even if there is a penalty, how could it be 2,000 for the one day of Sunday??

Much appreciate a fast answer - as my neighbour is going to go back on Monday, July 12 and he needs to have the facts at his fingertips.

My initial reaction, was, this is a bribe request.

2 questions:

question #1. are there new paperwork requirements which include:

(a) - photos of you, your wife and house and

(B) a certficate that you have to sign saying that you understand that you must comply with the Laws of Thailand.

question #2 :

what is the penalty if you Retirement "O"Visa expires on a Saturday and you want to renew it on the following Monday.?

This guy has a temper (of which I am weary telling him to cool it !!!) ,

Still, he is one of us, so to speak, supports the Thai family of his wife - So, I want to help him keep a jai yen, when he goes back to Immigration, having a clear understanding of the rules.

Thanks !!

Paddy.

Edited by paddypower

Thanks for your advice - but it does not answer my question, namely:

What paperwork do I need to present at Immigration, in order to claim this income (600,000 baht) as part of my total money requirement?

E.G. would a copy of my 2009 tax return and a certifying letter from my tax accountant suffice?

Or is notarization required ?

and if so, is there a qualified list of notaries posted somewhere

thanks for any advice. Paddy.

The money must be in a cash account. The normal passbook savings account is accepted and most will accept the time deposit (fixed deposit) accounts (which are cash and can be withdrawn at any time with only loss of interest). The bank accounts and letters from bank are required.

2,000 baht is the fine for failure to make 90 day address reports so is he perhaps late on that? Extensions of stay can and should be made early (they officially allow at least 30 days at all locations). I would guess the officer was asking for 1,900 baht for a 7 day extension of stay, if 90 day reporting was not late, to allow time to collect paperwork. Yes there is a document to sign that if you do not qualify for extension it ends and likely says laws of Thailand (do not recall exact wording but was new this year). And they now want proof of residence and being married it seems they are using the normal marriage photos rather than lease/letters or such that would be asked of others on retirement. If in his file it would be unusual but if not would consider it a normal request.

Last time I was given a letter to sign agreeing to have 400,000 Baht in saving account for Thai wife.

I can see Immigration's reason.

What immigration's office was that?

- Why all this? Think about it. The Thais really do not want some falang coming to their country mooching off THEIR social security system.......

- They want us all to contribute and not be a burden on their services.

If one day, you throw your hands up and decalre you have no funds, they have the legal documentation on hand to deport you due to insufficient funds.

Sorry but i can't decide if you are just joking here or are you one of those thais that think "falangs" get treated like a local....?

<br>Ha Ha. Yep too early for me.<br>As Lop said there is no combination option for marriage. <i><br><br>(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.</i><br>
<br><br>Just curious.... going by the way the above is worded, is there a different rule for a farang lady married to a Thai man (yes, they exist)?<br><br><br>