Suzuki Hayate 125 Fi

I've had mine for 500kms, but am withholding a report until I feel right about testing its torque and hp - after 1000 kms. It is interesting so far comparing it to the Elegance that I sold last month. Basically, the Hayate seems to do everything that that Yamaha does, but it has a different feel in a number of ways. Details to follow, including a careful mileage report.

Hello, Forethat -

But I do, meanwhile, have a couple of questions:

What is your top speed?

If you have checked your kms/l (or liters per 100 kms), how is your fuel burn?

Does your bike have a peculiar sound/feel at lower rpm's, compared to other scooter-types?

Did anyone who knows inform you if the alloy wheels can accept tubeless tires?

Finally, does your speedometer (if you've tested it against something else such as a gps) lie through its teeth?

Top Speed? No clue, I haven't been near the top speed. I could try though. Give me a day and I'll see if I can test somewhere.

Fuel burn? Less than both my cars, that's for sure... It's 170 baht to fill her up and I've never worried about fuel. I will test this next tank.

Peculiar sound?Not at low rpm:s, but at very low speed I get the feeling the motor is reving to much and creates a strange vibration or similar, noticed this the first day. Annoying as he**. Never had a different scooter though.

Tubeless tires? No clue about this. I do have the alloy wheels though.

Speedometer? I have no clue. I dont even know what is supposed to be the top speed. The speedometer is marked up to 160 km/h, but that seems nothing but ridiculous on a scooter...

Small update after checking the mileage.

I'm getting 42km/L (which is similar to your numbers)

I have driven the bike at 100km/h, but this was not the top speed, there's more to get for those who want, and I'm not so sure I want to...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked that question about sounds because the Hayate is unique in my experience of small bikes here. So I guess there's something to it. I notice it at low speeds, but really under acceleration. I first thought it blatty, but pre-adolescent blatty. A friend riding another (rental) calls it tinny. But for him, I might have troubled the dealer, it sounded that much different.

My answers to the other questions (above) I'll report after Songkran, because I'm driving defensively in the car for a week and not going to test a new bike among all those cheery celebrants of Chiang Mai - or thousands on the highways, for that matter. I will say that mileage has run around 41km/l so far, but I expect a little improvement. This has been in mixed city/suburban driving and depends on the accuracy of the odometer, which I have not checked.

I noted from another thread that you are quite happy with yours. Waiting for your full report with interest. You should have put more than 1k on the odometer by now.

Yes, I'm closing on 2K kms now, so I can add a few things.

Utterly nothing has been wrong with it, utterly nothing awry. I can release my hands a top speed and it never wavers in its track. It is tight and reliable in handling. I admire the headlights, which are markedly better than earlier generations of scooters/motorbikes.

I find it quick and as handy as anything I've driven with 16" tires. Perhaps because it is new, I like its (broader) seat more than the Elegance and now the suspension, though nothing miraculous, is pretty kind at speed bumps (with exact factory-suggested pressure). However, folks with big foot sizes might check for themselves if there's room on the floor to keep feet from the rain - I think I saw this mentioned one time.

I was at first a bit disappointed because I did not think that it measured up to the Elegance I'd sold to get Fi in the way of, well, elegance. Too I have yet to reach better than 41kms/l, though that's with a heavy hand now, and not in country driving - too much rain to contemplate a trip and anyway, I've got a 250cc for that.

You know that feeling when you accelerate on the fuel, and the vehicle, if you release slowly, is back there? This Hayate keeps up to a self-pronounced 60, very zippy, and is pretty fast to 90, and then takes a while to arrive at 100 with 100kilos aboard. I am confident that the Elegance will climb better in the hills and produce a higher top speed. But for a shopping and city bike, I prefer the Hayate, for its slightly superior (sez me) quickness.

I concur about helmets and storage; only my 3/4 (open face) will go inside (with a faceguard, however). But under seat space is great for shopping. Braking is fine, and I, at least, have no quarrel with the worth of the rear drum. Tire pressures require the usual attention, alas. Where they get porous inner tubes is beyond me.

100 sounds pretty anemic for this bike, and it may be a while before it goes faster, or this might be as good as it gets; I've got some twist left in the throttle when it tops out. I have no occasion to go quicker, so I don't care, but let me add this for speedy types - the speedo is wrong. Unfortunately, I've loaned out my gps for the month, but I did establish that the speedometer was in error at 80 by 7 (thus going 73), which dishonesty I despise - but I gather that this is common and only began to measure recently, so I don't know about the Elegance, MX, Wave, or PCX's I've owned or rented..

Based on present experience, I'd buy it again. Still, I only saved 7k baht over the Elegance here in CM, and there's resale to consider some day. We'll see how it wears on me, but I admire 'Zuki as much as Honda or Yammie; don't know 'Saki.

• 2 months later...

My son claims that it is difficult to get after market shock absorbers for the Hayate as no-one is producing them and the fit is not standard so ones produced for other brands and models can't be used. Is there any truth in this?

Eventually, we will need to replace the stock ones and should go for something more appropriate for our weight, both my son and I weigh in at 80+kgs so with us both up it is carrying more than 160kgs and bottoms out over the less friendly sleeping policemen. :D Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS Any word on the English language service manual. You would have thought that it had been made by now with all the Hayate sales in the Philippines.

Edited by GarryP

I've had mine for 500kms, but am withholding a report until I feel right about testing its torque and hp - after 1000 kms. It is interesting so far comparing it to the Elegance that I sold last month. Basically, the Hayate seems to do everything that that Yamaha does, but it has a different feel in a number of ways. Details to follow, including a careful mileage report.

Hello, Forethat -

But I do, meanwhile, have a couple of questions:

What is your top speed?

If you have checked your kms/l (or liters per 100 kms), how is your fuel burn?

Does your bike have a peculiar sound/feel at lower rpm's, compared to other scooter-types?

Did anyone who knows inform you if the alloy wheels can accept tubeless tires?

Finally, does your speedometer (if you've tested it against something else such as a gps) lie through its teeth?

Top Speed? No clue, I haven't been near the top speed. I could try though. Give me a day and I'll see if I can test somewhere.

Fuel burn? Less than both my cars, that's for sure... It's 170 baht to fill her up and I've never worried about fuel. I will test this next tank.

Peculiar sound?Not at low rpm:s, but at very low speed I get the feeling the motor is reving to much and creates a strange vibration or similar, noticed this the first day. Annoying as he**. Never had a different scooter though.

Tubeless tires? No clue about this. I do have the alloy wheels though.

Speedometer? I have no clue. I dont even know what is supposed to be the top speed. The speedometer is marked up to 160 km/h, but that seems nothing but ridiculous on a scooter...

nothing unusual there with the odometer ,my elegance is clocked even higher to 170 kmph :) ,nearly all scooters are wrong over here with speed displayed when measured against an independant gps system or the like but

i would like to try one of the suzukis because i like the sound of 16" wheels ,big seat and storage and EFI on a scooter but none of the dealers around here even have one in their shop i can sit on ,never mind drive .........