Health Check Phuket

mrjohn

I am thinking of having one of those health checkups that the hospitals advertise. I am over 50 and need to get my cholesterol and a few other things checked.

Has anybody had personal experience of this and could recommend a hospital or checkup plan?

Bangkok-Phuket Hospital has a number of plans.

Went there with a Thai girlfriend a few years back, I think I paid about 4,000thb for quite an extensive exam.

Girlfriend was less.

In the finish up consultation the doctor said three different times in different ways, well Grumpy, "best you get your weight down a bit", then later " it would help if you exercise more, eat and drink a little less", later "you're at 91 kilos, you know you really should be under 85".

Girlfriend on the way out the door "I think the doctor was saying you should lose some weight". Gee really! Thanks sweetheart...................................

I recently had one at Phuket International for 3100 baht. It included cholesterol, blood suger, PSA , urine, and chest Xray. I needed to fast for 12 hours prior to the testing. You do not need an appointment. Just walk-in between 8:30-9:00. I was happy with the service. For the same in the US, it would have cost probably $800.

BangkokPhuketHospital is good. I have the Chivawattana Membership Perfect Diamond, checkups incl.. Did checkup in January and it was great. Check their homepage for further informations. Wait for promotions for their membership.

Last year 50% off. So 2 memberships for 30.000 and value about 280.000. We used in 1 year already about 80.000, so profit only after 1 year 50.000 already and the membership last for 3 year. Good deal for us.

If you have passed the 50 years..no need to check up cholesterol...to late.!

The doctors will probably tell you to take pills with statins...dont take them.

I had a bypass in 2000 and have been eating those cholesterol pills for 5 years.

They cripled me (muscle-weakness) so I stopped 5 years ago, now I am almost

back to normal

...so dont eat any anti-cholesterol medication

Mission Hospital has similar packages offered at considerably less than the other two previously mentioned, as it is private but non-profit. It is certainly not as fancy as the other two, but it's a sound option and for basic lab work it is just as good. It is on Thepkrasattri Road southbound in Rassada, near Rajabhat junction. Just turn up any day of the week except Saturday (OPD is closed). Sunday is also really busy there.

Live long and prosper.

Mission Hospital has similar packages offered at considerably less than the other two previously mentioned, as it is private but non-profit. It is certainly not as fancy as the other two, but it's a sound option and for basic lab work it is just as good. It is on Thepkrasattri Road southbound in Rassada, near Rajabhat junction. Just turn up any day of the week except Saturday (OPD is closed). Sunday is also really busy there.

Live long and prosper.

I heard a lot of good things of the mission hospital.

It is complete renovated and a lot of the doctors who work in bangkok Phuket or Phuket International also work in the mission hospital.

A few of my friends who first went to Bangkok Phuket for health checks are now going to the mission.

For simple stuff like check-ups the mission hospital is e very good choice.

while you are talking about hospitals, does anyone know a good place to get an MRI on my lower back?

Bangkok Phuket International good but expensive.

I think your confusing or combining two places. There's a Phuket International and a Bangkok Phuket hospital.

BTW I also had some good experiences with Mission Hosp. But I don't think they're as well equipped as the others are. So, some hospitals may be better suited for some things than others.

no i haven't seen any dr in thailand yet.. i have a disc bulge L5/S1 and herniated disc L4/L5 i have ct scan with me, but didn't get an MRI back home cause it was too expensive and i'm not yet willing to consider surgery (which is what both my dr and physio were suggesting).  wanted to get the MRI so i could find out the full scope of the injury.<br>

I used to think Bangkok Phuket was OK and indeed I had a health check there myself about a year ago, unfortunately some of their findings didn't quite match with what I've received from Bumrungrad. BP says I have a cataract that needs attention now, Bumrungrad (last month) says it's not urgent, very mild and can wait for several years. BP said I have no trace of heart abnormalities (I have a stent) whereas Bumrungrad (again, last month) says my stress test produces an abnormal result, well it would with a stent wouldn't it! BP says I have a mildly fatty liver, Bumrungrad says I have no trace of a fatty liver. Based on those findings (or non-findings in some cases) I will not be using BP again unless I can help it.

while you are talking about hospitals, does anyone know a good place to get an MRI on my lower back?

Unless BPH have got new MRI equipment very recently their equipment is ancient. Price last time I checked was 13K.

I think your confusing or combining two places. There's a Phuket International and a Bangkok Phuket hospital.

BTW I also had some good experiences with Mission Hosp. But I don't think they're as well equipped as the others are. So, some hospitals may be better suited for some things than others.

It isn't just about how well-equipped they are, but also about the doctors' experience and willingness to refer to a rival facility if that is where the best care can be found.

Your comments about different hospitals excelling in different areas is very well taken, however.

My take:

Eyes: PIH or BHP, go with the latter for retinal trouble or surgery.

Maternity: Mission, hands down. That place is baby factory. There are often as many as 10 newborns in the 'just delivered' room on any given day, more than PIH and BHP do combined. If they kept 'net profit and loss' figures (newborns vs people who die in treatment) they would be the winners in Phuket, hands down.

Orthopedics: Mission; they have less tendency to try to sell you what you won't need.

Additions to this list are most welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

how expensive we talking??

I was at the Bangkok Phuket last week asking that very question. MRI scan is Bt 12,000. Orthopedic doctor consultation Bt 500 - Bt 600 (depending on length of time taken, apparently).

If you need manipulation done, can highly recommend an osteopath in Rawai/Nai Harn area called Garnett Symonds. Londoner with over 30 years experience. Bt 1,500 an hour. Use Google to find him. Genuinely qualified unlike others that have been mentioned.

It isn't just about how well-equipped they are, but also about the doctors' experience and willingness to refer to a rival facility if that is where the best care can be found.

Your comments about different hospitals excelling in different areas is very well taken, however.

My take:

Eyes: PIH or BHP, go with the latter for retinal trouble or surgery.

Maternity: Mission, hands down. That place is baby factory. There are often as many as 10 newborns in the 'just delivered' room on any given day, more than PIH and BHP do combined. If they kept 'net profit and loss' figures (newborns vs people who die in treatment) they would be the winners in Phuket, hands down.

Orthopedics: Mission; they have less tendency to try to sell you what you won't need.

Additions to this list are most welcome.

I used to think that Dr Captain at BHP was very good but I now have to withdraw that recommendation, he's really only interested in selling his surgery skills, which he pushes with far too much enthusiasm. Also, I had an eye test with him today where he told me my existing prescription was just fine, this despite the fact that I had NOT filled his prescription of last year that was for much stronger lenses, work that one out if you will.